• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The need for Hexen

Castef

Banned
Ok, it seems that another Wolfenstein chapter is in development. And I'm quite happy about it!

Heck, I even appreciated the underrated 2009 reboot.

Also, loved the new DOOM, very good shooter.

What saddens me is that among all there re-released of id Software IPs I don't see the good old Hexen.

Both Hexen and Hexen 2 where very good fantasy first person action games (can't say "shooter", as in some cases you did not shoot that much, depending on the classes you were using...) and I really, really would like to see a third chapter updated to today's standards.

Also because while there is a million "gun" shooters around, the amount of fantasy ones is absymal.

Do you think there is no market for a good new Hexen game, with a long single player campaign, different classes of characters and maybe a bit of multiplayer? I'd also skip completely the MP part to focus on the single player, in the style of Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Would you buy it?

I liked the pig transformation part, was so stupid and if you changed back while in the tunnels
Welp

I only played Hexen on N64 and liked what I played, was a long ass game too

bathsalts

I'd support this, would definitely be in for a Heretic/Hexen retake with all these classic reboots going on. The fantasy theme would have have fit the loot mechanics Shadow Warrior 2 goes with imo. The actual IP's are owned by Activision I think though so...

You're right about Wolf 2009 being great too, it's a shame Raven is wasted remaking COD.

playXray

Loved both Heretic and Hexen back in the day - not as much as Doom, but still fantastic as a dark fantasy alternative. Would love to see them back in action one day.

I would certainly be interested in a new Hexen if anyone decided to take up the challenge. Although I would hope the developer retained the semi-open world hub level like structure that the originals had.

I always loved Hexen more than Heretic. :)

That is because it is much better than heretic.
The first Heretic almost feel some kind of "fantasy reskin" of Doom, actually. Things changed a lot with Hexen.

Exactly, heretic is more or less a doom clone. Heck you can see it in the way the weapon variation and damage values function (just guess what is the pistol, shotgun and chaingun).

Hexen on the otherhand is a fantastic game (the first one) of a very different style. I would LOVE to see the style of level design, weapon variation, and heck... just general game design as per the first Hexen. The co-op in Hexen is INCREDIBLY fun.

creatchee

We've been beyond Heretic for 21 years now dude.

post-11756-I-Understood-That-Reference-gi-bnSN.gif

I liked Hexen better too because it felt like its own game rather than a reskin.

antibolo

Banned
Heretic and Hexen were by Raven, not id.

I don't think Bethesda even owns those franchises right now. So you're barking at the wrong tree there.

flkraven

Ziggurat has been pretty fun if you are looking for a cheap game that gives you some Hexen feels, but in a rogue-like fashion.

Mareg

Heretic 2 for life.

I remember playing an Heretic game with somewhat good 3D graphics. I think it was in the golden years of the voodoo / TNT graphic cards.
Game was insanely good. Or maybe I have a syndrome of rose tinted glasses. I'd buy anything from that IP for sure.

inm8num2

I've been craving a Hexen/Heretic successor for years. You could do so many cool things with modern engines. Fantasy shooter in id Tech 6? Yes, please!

So good, both of them.

But i too loved Hexen more. I still remeber that the char was ripped as fuck and used steel gloves to literally smash enemies.

969537-gauntlets.gif

Mr Swine

Banned
Heretic is best of the bunch and Hexen is much much worse thanks to it's labyrinth level design. I'd rather get a Reboot of Heretic than Hexen

DemoCracy

I'm gonna buy it at day zero. This game is one of my most favorite DOS video game; the golden era for FPS games.

I remember downloading demos for Hexen 2 and Heretic 2 back in the earlier days of the internet. I thought it was amazing that you could just download demos for any game you wanted. In fact, I remember downloading something called Half-Life: Uplink around this same time that blew me away...

Anyway, Hexen 2 was a cool twist on FPS that I had never seen before. It had objectives, very different character classes, and a more adventure-like feel than most other FPSs from that era.

Heretic 2 is the forgotten one. It was a third person adventure game where you play as a goatman investigating a plague infecting a town I think. I recall enjoying it, but there doesn't seem to be a ton of info on it. It's not currently on Steam, either.

I still play Heretic and Hexen through WiiFlow every once on a while. Got a controller.ini for the CCPro that works almost flawlessly.

Same with Duke, Doom and Wolfenstein.

The fantasy-fps really needs to become a thing again. Instead, we've spent the last ten-plus years staring down the same red dot sight.

soldat7

My mom put a picture of me and Hexen in my scrapbook (I got it for my birthday).

I'm pretty sure there's a picture of me and Heretic in that same scrapbook...

Top Bottom