• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft registers domain for Assassin's Creed Collection

Rymuth

1430328353-nope-jump-4.gif
That gave me a heartattack.

Gun Animal

Ideal: next year we get a box set containing 1, 2 Brotherhood, Revelations, 3 and Rogue, then next year a box set containing Black Flag, Unity and Syndicate, and Ubi uses those two years to really take their time rethinking the franchise.

While I'm talking about ideals, holy shit, I really wish they'd just adapt the Russia-based graphic novel into a full game already. Nikolai Orelov is easily the best assassin, and Russia is the only European setting left worth exploring. (Spain? Greece? Germany? Some random Scandinavian or Slavic country? pass)

I could see them remastering all the games and releasing them individually as digital versions, and also as a nice box set for fans. Then do a 2017 soft reboot.

witness

AC3 ran so terribly on consoles that I had to quit the game. Very curious what my thoughts would be if the game actually ran well.

woen

They already released multiple Assassin's Creed packs or bundles. So it is nothing new, even if we see a "remastered" on PS4/XBO (which would be PC maxed out at 1080p).

Also the games form the Ezio trilogy aged poorly gameplay-wise and also graphic-wise (surprisingly AC1 aged a bit better). The annual release made people forget that there were a great number of small improvements every year that combined over 2, 3, 4, 5 or more years represent big gaps between AC2 or AC3, ACB and ACU etc.

2280952-CreedTrilogy_64880_screen.jpg

ACHC-PS3-2D-uk.jpg

acult.jpg

Assassin-Creed-Anthology-2.jpg

They only need to remaster AC2 to get a sale from me. Didn't really enjoy the other games, and no AC3 please; it's a chore even remembering that game.

Maybe they'll take a year off and reassess while getting this out to fill the gap.

Can't see them releasing this and an AC in the same year assuming this is real.

Could probably drop something like this in late Spring / early Summer and then have the standard release in the fall pretty easily.

They already released multiple Assassin's Creed packs or bundles. So it is nothing new, even if we see a "remastered" on PS4/XBO (which would be PC maxed out at 1080p).

Also the games form the Ezio trilogy aged poorly gameplay-wise and also graphic-wise (surprisingly AC1 aged a bit better). The annual release made people forget that there were a great number of small improvements every year that combined over 2, 3, 4, 5 or more years represent big gaps between AC2 or AC3, ACB and ACU etc.

All of this. Other than the storyline being far more cohesive when Patrice Désilets had creative control, Ezio's trilogy is still an Ubisoft checklist openworld at the end of the day. People expecting radical changes out of the formula (like creating a full-on stealth system, or reinventing combat) even if they took 1-3 years off is crazy. The formula has been established, just like the Zelda franchise.

People tired of the franchise aren't going to be brought back by any major changes to gameplay. They'll dip a toe back in when a particular setting (China Russia, etc.) or theme (pirates) strikes their fancy. But those games will still be Ubisoft openworld.

Toa TAK

Banned

You missed one:

Not that we needed more or anything.

Morts

I'd happily play remasters of II and Brotherhood. They don't need to look as good as Syndicate, they just need to run as well as Black Flag on PS4.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I really enjoyed AC3 but simply couldn't tolerate its buginess, which unfortunately was a story repeated with Unity.

If they address the bugs then I'd like to finally finish 3.

Consumer

I feel like I'm in the minority that would actually purchase this, assuming the value is right.

Give me:
-all 6 PS3 games on PS4 (7 if you include Liberation)
-1080/60
-New platinum trophies

Then I'll definitely purchase it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fine with me. But I just want some goddamn SALES on Rogue/Unity on Steam to hit $20. Ubisoft (and by proxy: Activision) please. It's so stupid that I can sit here for a year or two and still not be able to get it at $20-30.

Why is black flag in the America saga?

Kenway is the father of Connor's (protag of AC3) father, Haytham Kenway (semi-Protag of AC3). Plus it takes place in the Caribbean, which is near the US.

Just like Liberation takes place in New Orleans but also
in South America/Mexico areas

Arttemis

If this is all the last-gen AC games, I'll bite.

AC, AC2, ACB, AC Rev, AC3, ACL, and AC Rog

I've been buying these games for years at $20 or less on sale just months after their release, and for that price, they're worth it just to experience running and climbing around a bunch of historical cities. Ubisoft's definitions of stealth, combat, story, open world objectives, and mission design are atrocious, though. I'd get this collection on sale, too, but it'd be cool to see Rome from ACB and the forest countryside of AC3 in higher resolution with a better framerate.

Chabbles

I still cant believe why anyone thought Brotherhood was a good AC game. It was just a much lesser version of the second with some added game mechanics that were terrible, it was stale on arrival imo. People need a second opportunity to play and realize this.

Arttemis

I still cant believe why anyone thought Brotherhood was a good AC game. It was just a much lesser version of the second with some added game mechanics that were terrible, it was stale on arrival imo. People need a second opportunity to play and realize this.

I can't believe people think this. AC2's Venice and Florence felt like a bunch of empty ghost towns with nothing going on. Brotherhood had a gigantic version of Rome, more widely populated with dense groups of diverse inhabitants, and was the first game to actually implement a system that made you feel like you were actually a member of an assassin organization; the ability to call forth your comrades to assassinate your enemies at any time was the hugely empowering. Furthermore, the missions in ACB were much more detailed than in AC2, especially when you're escaping an ambush during the middle of a play inside the Colosseum with the actor portraying Jesus.

I've tried going back to AC2 after ACB, and the whole thing felt empty and unenjoyable in comparison. I never thought the story in any AC game was worth a dime, including AC2, so I'm always curious as to how anyone could think that about the series.

Eggbok

So i take it that Ubisoft doesn't have a clue about franchise fatigue and how it affected Syndicate sales.

Franchise fatigue is probably the least reason why Syndicate sales are the way the are.
I solely blame Unity and all the events that involve it (microtransactions, content behind companion app, the game being broken, op enemies and ai, the combat, map drowned in bs, etc.) but sure fatigue is there too.

SentryDown

Remasters won't happen guys, Ubisoft don't do a lot of remasters. It's either for the Chronicles Trilogy or a current gen bundle (Black Flag + Unity + Syndicate).

mclem

So, burning question: Do I play Rogue over Christmas, or hold out in case a next-gen version appears as part of this bundle?

Remasters won't happen guys, Ubisoft don't do a lot of remasters. It's either for the Chronicles Trilogy or a current gen bundle (Black Flag + Unity + Syndicate).
Rogue being on PC makes me think that's a plausible possibility.

8bit

Knows the Score
I could see this working by picking out the best levels/areas/events of each game and reworking those into a greatest hits thing, the stories are mostly nonsense anyway so it's not as if anyone every played them for the plot.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Assassins Creed 2 deserves a remaster.

Everybody should see how great this series was before they lost any idea of where to take it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Glad to see we have an expert here on what goes on behind closed doors at Ubisoft.

Your first comment isn't true. Last gen they released the Splinter Cell trilogy, Beyond Good and Evil and ported Liberation.

It's entirely plausible.

Huh. I was actually thinking about this couple days earlier that if they would release AC collection with AC 1 to Revelations with 60fps and 1080 resolution, I would propably buy it. I loved the first AC and Ezio trilogy and would be more than delighted to play them again.

Franchise fatigue is probably the least reason why Syndicate sales are the way the are.
I solely blame Unity and all the events that involve it (microtransactions, content behind companion app, the game being broken, op enemies and ai, the combat, map drowned in bs, etc.) but sure fatigue is there too.

Also, the combat was so goddamn slow. Syndicate was a good step up. Still, there wasn't enough moves

Novocaine

ugh. i hate to get game snobby about this, but i can't imagine a worse series to have together in a collection. if you can play three or more of those games in a row you deserve a fucking medal.

they're just too similar, and stretched out with zero concept of pacing. there's a reason why 2 is generally thought of as the best game in the series.

I'll back this. I played the first and second games back to back. I started Brotherhood straight after, got an hour in and that's where I left the AC series.

Although I did put an hour into Black Flag when it turned up on GWG but the burnout was still there.

hamchan

I'm more interested in seeing which games ubi actually going to include in this collection..no chance they add all 5 of them.

They should really include Rogue in it. It's the least played of them all and by most accounts one of the best.

I'm thinking 2/Brotherhood/Revelations/Rogue would be a pretty great package or they can drop Revelations if they don't want to do that many.

Harmen

As someone who enjoyed every AC I've played (okay, except for the original), I really have my doubts this series works well in a collection. All big open world games littered with collectibles, odd story pacing and the same gameplay caveats and routine.

And while I loved ACII in particular, I think it is really dated nowadays. Unlike the classic GTA's or Far Cry games, for example, the AC series doesn't really offer much in terms of random sandbox fun. Aside from collecting stuff and doing (story)missions, there is not a lot to do. And since they kind of threw the overlapping story overboard, there is also not much to be found for newer players.

On a sidenote, thinking of this series I honestly wish they take a two year break and reboot the whole thing to do a well written trilogy with a clear narrative direction from start to finish. While looking at the competition, offcourse (Batman, Shadow of Mordor, MGSV). And I want ubisoft to make a non-AC pirate game.

Chabbles

I can't believe people think this. AC2's Venice and Florence felt like a bunch of empty ghost towns with nothing going on. Brotherhood had a gigantic version of Rome, more widely populated with dense groups of diverse inhabitants, and was the first game to actually implement a system that made you feel like you were actually a member of an assassin organization; the ability to call forth your comrades to assassinate your enemies at any time was the hugely empowering. Furthermore, the missions in ACB were much more detailed than in AC2, especially when you're escaping an ambush during the middle of a play inside the Colosseum with the actor portraying Jesus.

I've tried going back to AC2 after ACB, and the whole thing felt empty and unenjoyable in comparison. I never thought the story in any AC game was worth a dime, including AC2, so I'm always curious as to how anyone could think that about the series.

What a load of horseshit. Map wasn't gigantic, Boring ass, uninspiring tail missions is what i can remember. Assassin comrades was a gimmick to boot. Liberating zones was a chore. Its all subjective, and thats just my opinion is all.

the tower count will match the resolution probably.

and the number of games

Can someone tell me why this is allowed again? The first three posts are the definition of drive-by shit-posting. Not one of them has posted in the thread again after rushing in and trying their hardest to derail it from the outset. It literally reads like a YouTube or IGN comments section. My goodness.

Anyway, this is a no-brainer and welcome news for me. Assuming this means a "remastered" collection of the Ezio trilogy (which it likely will be), this makes sense on a number of levels. From a financial standpoint to reminding fans why they used to love the series, I honestly don't know how something like this hasn't already happened. Those games were some of my favorite last generation and, in a lot of ways, the series is still chasing the ideal it captured from that era of the series.

Aces&Eights

I'd be down for a AC 2 remaster. Make it buttery smooth and id probably buy it. Can't say I feel the same for Brotherhood, Revelations, AC 3 or even the first one.

Top Bottom