• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.
The headset and tracking is better overall (aside from the design that rests on your head instead of straps) but the real differences are primarily coming from the fact that you're going to be on an open, more powerful platform with a significantly larger library.

It feels like PSVR has more AAA support though, but maybe I'm wrong.

Abdozer

Tempted to get this but my only dilemma is that I'm blind in one eye, would this even work for me? lol, sorry if it's a silly question

Thraktor

Thanks for the info guys/girls!

I'm sooooo fn' tempted for this price! Having some actual games might really sway me. Any other big games utilize the Rift like Fallout 4? Ill have to start doing some research.

Most SteamVR titles will work on Rift, so if you go to Steam's VR category you can see some of the games out there. The ones with the triangular logo work with Vive, and the ones with the round logo work with Rift. As far as I'm aware many of the "Vive-only" titles do actually work on Rift, they just haven't been tested with it (or the controls are optimised for Vive). If there's something you're interested in which doesn't have the Rift logo, it would be worth a quick google to see if it works.

Fallout 4 is going to get a VR version, and I'd be very surprised if that didn't include Rift. It's a separate game, though, and there's no indication that you get any discount for owning the non-VR version, which is a bit annoying.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Are there any other must experience non gaming applications?

To name a few: Google Earth VR, Medium, Quill, Tiltbrush, a bunch of cool vr short movies (Henry, Lost, Dear Angelica), Mission: ISS, Bigscreen (multiplayer screen sharing), cool experiences (Apollo 11 V)

Fallout 4 is going to get a VR version, and I'd be very surprised if that didn't include Rift. It's a separate game, though, and there's no indication that you get any discount for owning the non-VR version, which is a bit annoying.

bethesda saying it's for vive, and they hate oculus.

Keasar

Why is it 100 Euros more expensive in Europe? :(

Says on the European page that it costs 450 Euros.
RLw9gEe.png

Basically, we got nothing in comparison.

"bethesda saying it's for vive, and they hate oculus."

It's for SteamVR, which supports Rift natively. Unless Bethesda puts in a hardware check, it's going to work on Rift. Or put another way, they'd have to make an effort to prevent Rift working.

"bethesda saying it's for vive, and they hate oculus."

It's for SteamVR, which supports Rift natively. Unless Bethesda puts in a hardware check, it's going to work on Rift. Or put another way, they'd have to make an effort to prevent Rift working.

well, if they hate Oculus, I don't see why they wouldn't. but I really hope they don't, as I am still very tempted to purchase this...

LAA

Hmm I'm very tempted by this, however... questions in my mind over it are:

- Can I comfortably use this in a room with little space? (I can do it with some games on PSVR, e.g. Thumper/Batman (For the most part)/Rush of Blood, I imagine it's a game by game case as well with Oculus, but not sure if the hardware does actually require space), but unlike PS4/PSVR I doubt I'm gonna move my PC around for more space required.

- Can you use PSVR on PC fully yet? I know there's Trinus VR which lets it work with PC, but can you play stuff like... e.g. Rick and Morty/Superhot VR/etc.?

Thanks

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
well, if they hate Oculus, I don't see why they wouldn't. but I really hope they don't, as I am still very tempted to purchase this...

There were a copule instances of hardware 'checks' (one by google and one by oculus) that has been put out thus far for VR content and both were cracked/worked around in less than a day.

Most SteamVR titles will work on Rift, so if you go to Steam's VR category you can see some of the games out there. The ones with the triangular logo work with Vive, and the ones with the round logo work with Rift. As far as I'm aware many of the "Vive-only" titles do actually work on Rift, they just haven't been tested with it (or the controls are optimised for Vive). If there's something you're interested in which doesn't have the Rift logo, it would be worth a quick google to see if it works.

Ah ok thanks! I was thinking that if i already owned Fallout i'd be good :/

I'll do some research!

I got the try the Vive for two weeks. This is super tempting. My friend, while playing job simulator, said that moment was the most fun he's had while playing video games. However, I still might wait for higher res and fov units which is probably a long while from now considering current gpus.

I wouldn't be too afraid of Bethesda's VR efforts not working on Oculus hardware. While Bethesda has some of the shittiest publisher practices in the industry today, they usually only fuck over developers while consumers get to remain blissfully unaware of what goes on behind the scenes. They don't have a history of punishing consumers that I'm aware of, and are unlikely to go out of their way to block Rift users.

Don't expect their games on Oculus Home though. That's not going to happen any time soon.

Tempted to get this but my only dilemma is that I'm blind in one eye, would this even work for me? lol, sorry if it's a silly question

Not silly at all. There was someone in the Vive thread recently who had impaired vision in one eye and they said it worked for them. I'll see if i can dig out the post but i'm at work at the moment.

I had the same worry as i am slightly impaired in my right-eye and VR definitely works for me as i was born with the problem and know no different. Obviously it would be better if you could test drive one beforehand and anecdotes/individual differences etc so your experience may vary. I hope that makes sense :)

I have Vive but i can't see why there would be any difference tbh.

kinggroin

Banned
HTC Vive is better though, right?

Yes. Just purely on the basis of modularity. You aren't locked to the headset configuration you start with.

But I won't lie, it's a heck of a deal for this Rift setup. Keep in mind you'll need another camera still in order to pull off room scale without major tracking hitches.

Aw man... browsing Steam any time i see an exclusive it seems to be for the Vive :( Maybe this is too good to be true and a reflection of the current state of Oculus?

"Aw man... browsing Steam any time i see an exclusive it seems to be for the Vive :( Maybe this is too good to be true and a reflection of the current state of Oculus?"

So first off, since I've seen people talking about exclusives: There is not really such a thing, currently, as a VR exclusive on PC. All SteamVR games work on both Vive and Rift (with Touch Controllers), even if they don't say they do. Most Oculus Rift "exclusives" work on Vive with Revive, very few have issues.

But you won't see Oculus Rift exclusives on Steam, they'll be on the Oculus Home store.

I want a Vive, but for ~$630 CAD after tax versus ~$1,100 BEFORE tax for the VIve just does not make sense. Not to forget the added Xbox One controller and seven games!

Edit: Meaning I am going to buy one!

Oh yeah, forgot about the whole ZeniMax thing. Given that Vive uses OpenXR (formerly OpenVR), it's pretty difficult for them to actually block Oculus users, so I'd still put money on it being playable with Oculus.

If there's no official Touch support, then the thing that modders will still need to compensate for is that the way Touch is held is different from the Vive controllers. If something made for Vive where you're holding a gun only has Touch support by default with no option to adjust the angle the gun is held at, it feels pretty horrible to play.

Blam

This is an amazing deal if you add another camera you can do everything the Vive can with Roomscale as well.

Steel

Banned
Aw man... browsing Steam any time i see an exclusive it seems to be for the Vive :( Maybe this is too good to be true and a reflection of the current state of Oculus?

They're not. They just weren't designed with Oculus in mind, so you might have trouble if you don't have a third camera. And the controller's orientation might be a few degrees off. That's it.

MaDKaT

Wow, that is pretty tempting. If I didnt already have a Vive I would jump just for the controllers(come on valve, we need those knuckles). However I just can't justify more than 1 headset. Especially gen 1 headsets. Gen 2 should be very interesting.

Hmmm....wondering if I should sell off my PSVR and grab this. I bought one back in February but haven't purchased any software for it yet( mostly used the demo disk, the playroom, cinema mode).

Sorry if I missed this, how long is this promotion actually on for? Especially the bestbuy one with Eve Valkerie.....very tempting.

Steel

Banned
Hmmm....wondering if I should sell off my PSVR and grab this. I bought one back in February but haven't purchased any software for it yet( mostly used the demo disk, the playroom, cinema mode).

Sorry if I missed this, how long is this promotion actually on for? Especially the bestbuy one with Eve Valkerie.....very tempting.

6 weeks.

Blam

I'd stress that you also get 5 free games when you use your Rift. Could a mod please add this to the OP.

Since it's not widely known that Robo Recall, Quill, Medium, Dead & Buried, and Lucky's Tale is free with this combo. These games should show up as soon as you set it up.

PizzaFace

Banned
Hmmm, would be a lot cheaper again in the UK to buy one from the US.

Anyone know of any place selling them that would ship to the UK?

That sucks. Had it actually costed the US. price I would have easily gotten one, but now I have to sit and consider if it's worth that extra 1000 SEK, not to mention the shipping.

Pretty sure there's no shipping cost from Oculus, and if there is you can order from amazon.de instead for free shipping
Hmmm, would be a lot cheaper again in the UK to buy one from the US.

Anyone know of any place selling them that would ship to the UK?
You still need to pay VAT if you import from the US

While this is kind of tempting, there's just too many niggling things that add up for me.

1) VR isn't comfortable for those with glasses, and some in the thread have stated the Rift is one of the worst offenders.

2) Lack of deep games. I've seen some games that look neat, but very few exclusives that I think would hook me for a long time. Stuff like Elite: Dangerous is neat, but I can already play that in non-VR.

3) Clunky locomotion. It's clear that VR is still in its infancy, with things like teleporting to move being a prime example. Considering your viewpoint is literally strapped to your head, this seems like a really poor solution. Until things like Lone Echo are the norm and not the exception, VR will feel gimmicky.

4) Software pricing. Because there's only so many headsets out there, developers are needing to get more per consumer than normal. This leads to games that, being honest, would struggle to ask $15, now being sold at $40 -- and almost never going on sale. As a consumer, it's rough to already have paid hundreds of dollars on top of owning a gaming machine, only to be asked to pay a giant premium once again.

5) Gen 2 is inevitable. While current VR is impressive, it still has its issues. The screen-door effect can hamper immersion in a technology almost exclusively devoted to that idea. And having a bulky headset with a bunch of wires on it isn't ideal either. Both will be addressed in later revisions, leaving early adopters with a sub-ideal experience in order to get ground-floor access.

Even with all these issues, I was still tempted. But, alas, I just cannot bring myself to ignore the part of my brain telling me all of the above would add up to a purchase bring a big mistake for me.

What a price! If you have a PC and a 780Ti or higher, just go for it.

I have an EVGA 780Ti Superclocked and it runs my Oculus just fine for almost all games.
And there are so many good games. Don't be part of making this the next Dreamcast. If you have the space...Buy it!

Here are some of the games I have that I really enjoyed on the platform

RoboRecall,
Superhot,
Chronos,
Lone Echo (Beta),
Elite Dangerous,
The Climb,
Eve Valkyrie,
Dead and Buried,
Unspoken,
Edge of Nowhere,
Recroom,
Sportsbar VR,
Raw Data,
Luckys Tale,
Blaze Rush,
Air Mech Command
Job Simulator
Fantastic Contraption
Project Cars

Games I want that are out:
Rockband,
Star Trek Bridge Sim,
Batman Exp,
The Mages Tale,
Thumper,
Landfall

There are also many awesome apps and experiences. Many of them free. My favorite being Google Earth VR.

Not silly at all. There was someone in the Vive thread recently who had impaired vision in one eye and they said it worked for them. I'll see if i can dig out the post but i'm at work at the moment.

I had the same worry as i am slightly impaired in my right-eye and VR definitely works for me as i was born with the problem and know no different. Obviously it would be better if you could test drive one beforehand and anecdotes/individual differences etc so your experience may vary. I hope that makes sense :)

I have Vive but i can't see why there would be any difference tbh.

Well, there are many different aspects to the technology. Some of those will work and some will not. The technology presents a 3D view by showing a different image to your left eye versus your right eye. This tricks your brain into seeing everything in very realistic 3D. Obviously this would not work for you but I would have to assume you've adapted to this fact outside of VR too.

Another thing the technology does is link your head movements to screen changes. This tricks your brain into thinking you are inside a space and able to look all around. This portion would work the same for you as anyone else.

Obviously the controllers would work the same.

The 3D sound field would work the same.

Overall, I think you'd find a lot of enjoyment in the device.

While this is kind of tempting, there's just too many niggling things that add up for me.

1) VR isn't comfortable for those with glasses, and some in the thread have stated the Rift is one of the worst offenders.

2) Lack of deep games. I've seen some games that look neat, but very few exclusives that I think would hook me for a long time. Stuff like Elite: Dangerous is neat, but I can already play that in non-VR.

While I agree with 1, I dont agree with 2. There are quite a lot of deep games on Steam that use VR pretty good. Solus Project, Assembly, Narcosis, Obduction, House of the Dying Sun etc. from smaller devs.

Also Elite in VR and non-VR are imo two different experiences.

While I agree with 1, I dont agree with 2. There are quite a lot of deep games on Steam that use VR pretty good. Solus Project, Assembly, Narcosis, Obduction, House of the Dying Sun etc. from smaller devs.

Also Elite in VR and non-VR are imo two different experiences.

I'm not familiar with a few of those. I admit, a lot of my VR exposure is through Giant Bomb. Heck, I didn't even know Obduction had a VR mode.

But also note I specified deep exclusives. While I'd certainly like to play some games I currently own in VR -- including Elite, Project Cars and HotDS -- I wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars to do so, you know?

3) Clunky locomotion. It's clear that VR is still in its infancy, with things like teleporting to move being a prime example. Considering your viewpoint is literally strapped to your head, this seems like a really poor solution. Until things like Lone Echo are the norm and not the exception, VR will feel gimmicky.

4) Software pricing. Because there's only so many headsets out there, developers are needing to get more per consumer than normal. This leads to games that, being honest, would struggle to ask $15, now being sold at $40 -- and almost never going on sale. As a consumer, it's rough to already have paid hundreds of dollars on top of owning a gaming machine, only to be asked to pay a giant premium once again.

5) Gen 2 is inevitable. While current VR is impressive, it still has its issues. The screen-door effect can hamper immersion in a technology almost exclusively devoted to that idea. And having a bulky headset with a bunch of wires on it isn't ideal either. Both will be addressed in later revisions, leaving early adopters with a sub-ideal experience in order to get ground-floor access.

Even with all these issues, I was still tempted. But, alas, I just cannot bring myself to ignore the part of my brain telling me all of the above would add up to a purchase bring a big mistake for me.

this post is saving me from buying one currently....

Can anyone counter this to put me back on the fence? lol

Cool thanks

I'd stress that you also get 5 free games when you use your Rift. Could a mod please add this to the OP.

Since it's not widely known that Robo Recall, Quill, Medium, Dead & Buried, and Lucky's Tale is free with this combo. These games should show up as soon as you set it up.

Yes, I noted at the bottom of the bestbuy ad that free games come with the combo. Not familiar with any of them, but I won't ever say no to free lol.

I'm not familiar with a few of those. I admit, a lot of my VR exposure is through Giant Bomb. Heck, I didn't even know Obduction had a VR mode.

But also note I specified deep exclusives. While I'd certainly like to play some games I currently own in VR -- including Elite, Project Cars and HotDS -- I wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars to do so, you know?

Sure. I get that. But there are quite a lot of good VR games out nowadays, even more on PC. Just saying that because somehow it seems people think PSVR has far more "real" games in VR than PC which just isnt true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom