• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with the most satisfying controls

poodaddy

Megaman X 1 through 5; the control of your mobility and momentum in those games just feels so amazing and they have not been topped.

Ori and the Blind Forest feels INCREDIBLE under the thumbs. It's utterly sublime, especially when you get the Bash move and you spend the entire game just rocketing through levels by the seat of your pants.

MGSV is the king of standard 3D action/adventure stuff, but Uncharted 4 and Horizon ZD are up there. As far as unique traversal methods go, I love Spiderman 2, Gravity Rush 2, Mirror's Edge Catalyst and Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

And the award for worst controls goes to The Last Guardian

Jhn

MGSV is the king of standard 3D action/adventure stuff, but Uncharted 4 and Horizon ZD are up there.

Horizon does not get enough credit for how responsive it is. It controls so unbelievably well compared to almost everything else in the same genre. If it didn't have some occasional janky Skyrim-style mountaineering and underwhelming melee, it'd be close to perfect.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
A lot of games I was going to say have been mentioned, so Ill add an obscure one. Syndicate 2012 was sublime to play. Helps it has excellent encounter design.

Monocle

That's simple, Bayonetta. No other 3rd person action game feels quite as smooth or responsive. Not even any of the DMC games. The frame-canceling dodge makes a big difference.

Horizon does not get enough credit for how responsive it is. It controls so unbelievably well compared to almost everything else in the same genre. If it didn't have some occasional janky Skyrim-style mountaineering and underwhelming melee, it'd be close to perfect.

Horizon plays like buttah. The controls are so good they just kind of melt away; it wasn't until I was just randomly running through the forest, spotted a fox, switching to my bow, switched to the basic arrows and nailed it with a headshot in like half a second without even thinking about it that I realised just how well laid-out and responsive it all was.

bati

All of the Batman Arkham games, just because their fighting systems are so fluid and intuitive. It's no wonder so many games have copied their style since Arkham Asylum!

They're alright for the most part but the combo activators (combo of 2 buttons - XYAB) always bothered me and I found myself mentally preparing to use them because it felt so unintuitive.

Bloodborne and Dark Souls

Eeeeeh. I love these games as much as the next guy but trying to get a kick or a jump attack off with any reliability just doesn't happen.

My nomination goes to Warframe on kbm.

GametimeUK

I know a lot of it has to come down to game design and the controls aren't too complex, but I have recently been playing Thumper and the controls are so satisfying.

Mario Kart 8 has an outstanding feel to it fo4 a Kart racer.

Ballthyrm

I would go with towerfall as well. There is sooo much depth with controls that you can pick up in 10 seconds, 15-20 hours later you are still improving and learning new tricks and way to move around the maps.

cireza

toylet.png

GeekyDad

Probably Onechanbara on Wii. The controls are what made that game for me. It was just really, really satisfying. Only waggle game I truly enjoyed.

parkinho

The one that immediately stands out that hasn't yet been mentioned (I don't think) is Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies. It's almost as if the Wii remote/nunchuck combo was designed specifically for this game. I'd kill for another game in this series but fear that the controls would take a massive step backwards; dual analogue or even gyro controls would pale in comparison.

galv

Unconfirmed Member
Warframe gets my vote. The movement system in that game is as good, if not straight up better than Titanfall/2, and using the weapons, abilities etc is smooth, from wallruns and double jumps into melee combos, the overall package feels fantastic.

CAR105 3

Warframe gets my vote. The movement system in that game is as good, if not straight up better than Titanfall/2, and using the weapons, abilities etc is smooth, from wallruns and double jumps into melee combos, the overall package feels fantastic.
IMO it's not bette just different,, it's just more flexible thatn titanfall. Warframe PvE is spectacular due to the things you pointed out. But Warframe PvP suffers because they dont translate very well in that enviroment. Titanfall on the other hand has superb PvP because it controls abd movements were designed for PvP. But it's PvE is not as great as Warframe.

Wootball

Titanfall 1 and 2 for me. It just feels so polished and smooth, things open up to you as you get better, it just feels right.

Mugy

SSBM: The games does EXACTLY what you input in the controllers

Bayonetta 2: Just crazy. I think theres not a single hack n' slash with better controls (not even DMC4SE)

Batman Arkham City: Free-flow combat arenas where just addictive. I remember being really high on global ranks at Games for Windows

Super Mario Sunshine: Mario can do almost anything. Very good controls

Megaman X4: Nuff said

RE4: Killing zombies its extremaly satisfaying in here. RE5 and RE6 are nowhere near close

Afro

I've never felt a game feel any more satisfying to control than Gears 3, and therefore by extension Gears 4.

Yup, Gears 3/4 have TPS controls pretty much perfected. So smooth and precise. Dishonored 1 also had very underrated, fluid FPS controls. Destiny 1 also IIRC.

phanphare

Banned
Splatoon. the increased interactivity of the motion controls makes that game more immersive and satisfying. also the sound design in that game is top tier which greatly enhances the game feel. also the HD rumble in Splatoon 2 really adds to the feel of the controls.

DKC: Tropical Freeze. the weight of the controls in that game are great. the roll jump feels so good and building up momentum through a level also feels great. also the underwater controls are godly mostly because they designed the game around the analog stick instead of the dpad. it's the only 2D platformer I can think of that controls better with an analog stick.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I really like the standard GOW series controls, quick fast and responsive and you can always cancel out of anything with the right-stick dodge.

Resident Evil 6 takes a while to get used to .. but once you figure out all of Jake's shenanigans ... man it's super fun to play.

MGSV, no question. Felt perfect, especially Venom's glorious sprint.

Bloodborne also. Nothing like bobbing and weaving around enemy hunters, headslipping under bullets.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Dark Souls. Despite it being "sluggish", everything just has a certain weight to it that just works so well.

Vanquish, best raw action game ive ever played Sliding while freezing time and shooting is just an awesome mechanic.

FEAR. Unloading into a room and seeing chunks of the wall explode outward and lights sparking, also while freezing time. Like being in a John Wu movie. Also the best FPS combat ever. Hits are so meaty.

Warframe. Everything in that game is so fluid, from wall running, sliding, shooting, to melee. Such an underrated game imo.

Matty77

Most of the general accessible answers have already been made, with Phantom Pain being king.

On a more subjective level since feel can be a personal thing I recently got around to playing Guacamelee and it felt real good, have not felt so in control of my character in a long time and the more skills opened the better it got.

NaviLink

Super Mario 64 is pretty much the GOAT for this. The N64 analog stick was basically built around the game. The jumps feel so good, no wonder it's one of the most speedrun game ever.

Top Bottom