• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that you *think* only you on GAF have played

rpmurphy

Let's have a thread where we attempt post the most obscure game that we can think of that we have played in our past that surely no one else on GAF have played and take glory in foiling other gaffers' confidence in their picks.

Rules: Be honest and don't pick games of which you don't know the titles.

Okay, h-he-here I go...

Aldo's Adventure
EoOJ8.gif

A friend of mine had only this and another game on his family's PC. I am ashamed to say I played too much of this Donkey Kong clone. Just look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVPyxYOH8D8

Hollywood
51YjY96aXDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not so much of a game per se, but it was fun to mess around with. I still have the disc around somewhere waiting to be reinstalled someday...

Exhumed on the PC. I found it preowned in a charity shop that closed down a few weeks after I made the purchase, never seen it sold at retail anywhere.

I assumed it was a port of the outstanding Sega Saturn game (also known as Powerslave) - a multi-level nonlinear exploration-heavy ancient Egyptian/alien themed first person shooter.

After running it, I discovered that aside from the title screen and soundtrack, it was a completely different game. The incredible level design, exploration elements, non-linear progression, all gone. Instead it was a shallow poor Doom clone with Eqyptian-themed textures.

I think I'm the only one who played this shite PC release of a fantastic console game, and I'm glad.

WedgeX

Banned
Descent: Freespace

Came with some computer my family bought. Seemed scary for a space flight game at the time!

A PC/Mac CD-ROM adventure game based on a series of Edgar Allen Poe stories acted out by scary looking claymation figures. Narrated by William S. Burroughs.

Salsa

Exhumed on the PC. I found it preowned in a charity shop that closed down a few weeks after I made the purchase, never seen it sold at retail anywhere.

I assumed it was a port of the outstanding Sega Saturn game (also known as Powerslave) - a multi-level nonlinear exploration-heavy ancient Egyptian/alien themed first person shooter.

After running it, I discovered that aside from the title screen and soundtrack, it was a completely different game. The incredible level design, exploration elements, non-linear progression, all gone. Instead it was a shallow poor Doom clone with Eqyptian-themed textures.

I think I'm the only one who played this shite PC release of a fantastic console game, and I'm glad.

I played this, and yeah.

rpmurphy

Descent: Freespace

Came with some computer my family bought. Seemed scary for a space flight game at the time!
I have to get around to acquiring that, considering it was made by the guys that created Descent, which I loved. Consider yourself safe for now... hohoho.

Oh, and Kickle Cubible, a brilliant little NES puzzler that I've never seen anyone on GAF mention.
I played the Japanese version of it as a child and it was one of my favorite NES/FC games. The manual had everything explained in illustrations/manga style which was cool. I still have that manual around (but not the game). Sorry! B-)

GrizzNKev

Banned
Careful with that spaghetti OP, you don't want it falling out of your pockets.

I played come crazy vehicle-based city disaster rescue game when I was very young, but I can't remember the name to prove that I was the only one who played it. Oh, that's not following the rules of the thread. Dang.

Does a collection of games count? Apogee had a collection of 100 or so games that I used specifically to play Duke Nukem with.

Did anyone else play the Magic School Bus P&C games?

Teknoman

Mappyland? Till this day I have no idea what its about, I just rented it when I was a kid since the cover looked fun.

Orca

Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu is probably the most obscure console game I've ever played. Not sure if it's truly obscure, but I've never seen it again :D

K701

Banned
Hollywood
51YjY96aXDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not so much of a game per se, but it was fun to mess around with. I still have the disc around somewhere waiting to be reinstalled someday...

I played Hollywood when I was a little kid, it came with my first compaq PC I think... I could spend hours with that game just putting the characters in awkward situations and making them curse.

Salsa

That was a game based on a French TV show, Les Zinzins de l'Espace (Space Goofs in English), which was allright I guess. I remember being amazed that Iggy Pop did the opening song.

show was fairly popular in latin america, as were many other french kid's shows

i liked it

Philia

Everblue_2_Coverart.png

Played this twice 100% through and still love it more than Endless Ocean and its sequel. This is an underwater treasure diving game done right.

So yeah... an obscure fantastic game on an obscure genre.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Are You Afraid of the Dark: the tale of orpheo's curse

Also, any and every DOS game, like Indy 500 and Grand Prix. And Hugo's House of Horror.

Hardwar: The Future is Greedy is as obscure as I can get. Love that game.

Great game. Soundtracks like that don't happen very often, either.

Careful with that spaghetti OP, you don't want it falling out of your pockets.

I played come crazy vehicle-based city disaster rescue game when I was very young, but I can't remember the name to prove that I was the only one who played it.

I think you're referring to the creatively named Emergency. Interesting franchise that continues to this day, marred by awkward and sometimes illogical UI.

For me, Deo Gratias by Cryo, or at least published by them. That and Mankind.

rpmurphy

I played Hollywood when I was a little kid, it came with my first compaq PC I think... I could spend hours with that game just putting the characters in awkward situations and making them curse.
First page and already got of mine. :(
Yeah, I made some (what I thought) hilarious short plays with that thing. Just to be sure, you are talking about the first Hollywood game and NOT the sequel, Hollywood High, right? ;)

Are You Afraid of the Dark: the tale of orpheo's curse

Also, any and every DOS game, like Indy 500 and Grand Prix. And Hugo's House of Horror.
Accolade's Grand Prix? I played that a lot on my family's old Apple Classic... in B/W...

Bunch of random obscure PC stuff like MegaRace, Fantasy Empires, and Stellar 7, but I'm not crazy enough to think I'm the only one here who's played them. Back then there wasn't really a way to gauge the popularity of random PC games though.

Mappyland? Till this day I have no idea what its about, I just rented it when I was a kid since the cover looked fun.

Played it.

And Kickle Cubicle.

Honestly, if it was on NES or Game Boy, chances are someone here played it. You gotta reach back to the Wild West of old PC and 8-bit computer games.

I could probably pick any number of random cracked Atari 800 games we had growing up, but I'll go with Action Quest, because it was one of my favorite games back then (and it was legit published):

action_quest_jv_d7.jpg

action_quest_2.gif

You were a ghost who could transform into a gun, and your goal in each room was basically to collect a treasure and escape. But each room was a different abstract puzzle--half the game was just figuring out what you were supposed to do in each room. Oh and you had about ten or fifteen seconds to do so before you faded out of existence.

Though it is a much more deliberate game (and no music), Action Quest also has a very similar mise en scene to VVVVVV.

iammeiam

Not mega-obscure, but my picks:
K5iBY.jpg

(this game bombed, I believe, plus it was basically for young girls, which makes it not GAF's normal taste)

wXa9u.jpg

Also I played the shit out of this: Bouncing Babies

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Going through my GameFly history of roughly six years. I really have no idea why I rented at least 25% of these.

Aeon Flux
America's Next Top Model
Arena Football
Beat City
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
Chase: Hollywood Stunt Driver
Cold War
Dead Head Fred
Driver 76
Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Flipnic