• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

ElMexiMerican
(07-18-2017, 01:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Collingwood

Looks nice enough.

Sega really really needs to re-release a digital only Dreamcast with wireless controllers, broadband capability with access to a digital storefront for the entire catalogthacan also use the original accessories wired.

You could even use the VMU to carry your saves with you to a friend's house.
twinturbo2
butthurt Heat fan
(07-18-2017, 03:04 AM)

Originally Posted by Shaneus

There were whispers of TxK making an appearance on PSVR or PC VR or something, so maybe! If the emulation is up to snuff, that is. And last I checked, it wasn't :/

Eh, if I want 2600 games, I'd get one of the upcoming Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition consoles that AtGames is releasing in a couple of months.

I want the other stuff. Yes, even the Jaguar games.
NYR
(07-18-2017, 03:17 AM)
250 posts for a console reveal ms it's been hours. Take the hint, Atari.
Zubz
(07-18-2017, 03:25 AM)
I don't know what to expect here. It looks cool, but I don't see what the goal of the system is. Is it an emulator that plays newer games? In that case, what kinds of new releases: small indie stuff or AAA launches.

That said, I'd love to keep an eye on it. But didn't the company that owns the Atari name now do some shady stuff before?
btkadams
(07-18-2017, 03:30 AM)
LOVE the wood design. This looks interesting, but Iím not expecting much more than an Ouya in terms of impact.
HardRojo
(07-18-2017, 03:33 AM)
Looks cool, but what exactly do they mean by modern games?
1morerobot
(07-18-2017, 03:35 AM)
Not seeing this doing much, sales-wise. Most Atari games are just not much fun to play these days. Not digging this design much either. They should've followed Nintendo's lead and made a replica of the 2600.

For me to pick this up, I'll need it to include Super Breakout (with paddle controller or port for original 2600 controllers), Circus Atari, Space Invaders... and Demon Attack.
AmyS
(07-18-2017, 03:49 AM)
All three San Francisco Rush arcade games, or bust.

RadarScope1
(07-18-2017, 03:52 AM)
Come the fuck on. Haven't these companies learned nobody wants this kind of shit by now?
Quasar
(07-18-2017, 03:56 AM)

Originally Posted by RadarScope1

Come the fuck on. Haven't these companies learned nobody wants this kind of shit by now?

Given the Nintendo classics clearly people do.
Pops Maellard
(07-18-2017, 03:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Discomurf

Regardless of what it does this design is gorgeous and I'm looking forward to a 'new Atari' console sitting next to my TV. :D

Dear god, what a shockingly hideous piece of hardware.

Why is it ribbed? Why does it turn into a pyramid?
BladeoftheImmortal
(07-18-2017, 03:59 AM)
Looks god actually
GlassAwful
(07-18-2017, 04:14 AM)
Some POS stole the grill off my GMC Yukon...

What the.. Atari. You bastards.
btrboyev
(07-18-2017, 04:15 AM)

Originally Posted by SealOfTheProphet

Microsoft thriving in the industry was the result of a few events out of their own control.

1) Nintendo going even more kid-friendly (GCN, Wii)
2) Sony killing the greatest console market share of all time with a terrible launch (PS3)

The only thing Microsoft did was having throw away money.

The OG Xbox was not a worthwhile competitor to Sony, doing short of 25 mil (a commercial failure in the industry), and had it been any other company, the Xbox platform would be dead after that.

However, they had the money to throw at an early launch for a next gen console (4 short years).
Which was slightly underpowered, at that. If Sony hadn't made the PS3 confusing to develop for, and didn't royally screw up the launch, 360 would have failed, and after that they'd keep making failing consoles.

I mean look at the market share:
Gen 5
Sony - 103mil sold - 68%
Nintendo - 33mil sold - 22%
Sega - 9mil sold - 7%
3DO, Atari, Others - 3%

Gen 6
Sony - 155mil sold - 73%
Microsoft - 24mil sold - 12%
Nintendo - 22mil sold - 11%
Sega - 9mil sold - 4%

Gen 7
Nintendo - 101mil sold - 38%
Sony - 85mil sold - 32%
Microsoft - 84mil sold - 31%

Microsoft's solely captured market share from Nintendo, while Sony took even more market share in the Sixth Generation.

But Gen 7 Microsoft solely grew on stolen Sony market share. If Sony had retained most of it's market share (factoring in the success of the Wii too).
Gen 7 - alt
Sony - 170mil - 63%
Nintendo - 81mil - 30%
Microsoft - 19mil - 7%

Microsoft's success had only to do with money, and Sony screwing up, something that an Atari console doesn't have (mid gen cycle means no Sony/MS launch fails, no capital means no money)

LOL
OG Xbox not a competitor? 360 underpowered?

Your entire post is trash.

The junior status never fails
davidwhangchoi
(07-18-2017, 04:18 AM)
is the joystick one button encased with a rubber sleeve that looks like an auto stick?

how would i place spy hunter, i need a button for oil slick.
LukasTaves
(07-18-2017, 04:39 AM)

Originally Posted by Collingwood

Looks nice enough.

Sega really really needs to re-release a digital only Dreamcast with wireless controllers, broadband capability with access to a digital storefront for the entire catalogthacan also use the original accessories wired.

This. But making a service on PS4 and xbone instead of launching another console.
MeatGrinder
(07-18-2017, 04:49 AM)
I hope it's not another Android app store gaming machine, but more a full blown next-gen in competition with MS, Sony and Nintendo... WITH CROSSPLAY SUPPORT, DEAR GOD!!

We should not split up the player base even further!
Fou-Lu
(07-18-2017, 04:57 AM)
I mean... It looks cool and it is cool that it exists, but there is pretty much zero chance it does well, right?
ambar_hitman
(07-18-2017, 04:59 AM)
Remaster The Matrix Path of Neo and I am getting it day 1.
SealOfTheProphet
(07-18-2017, 05:02 AM)

Originally Posted by btrboyev

LOL
OG Xbox not a competitor? 360 underpowered?

Your entire post is trash.

The junior status never fails

The market share doesn't lie. 12% market share isn't competing with 74% in the slightest, so I don't know how you could entertain an idea like that.

and as for saying the 360 was underpowered I just meant slightly less powerful to the PS3. Which is the case.

Of course, you are either a complete idiot, delusional, or an xbox fanboy to think that 12% market share is competing in the console industry.

For reference, that's almost half the N64's market share (which was barely competing with the PS1), and a similar market share to the PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16. I don't think anyone considered that to be competing with Genesis or SNES.

Hell, even the Wii U has a higher market share than that right now.
Starbuck2907
(07-18-2017, 08:29 AM)
Make it a SteamOS box. Slap a bunch of classic Atari games in it. Let Steam's Linux support supply a bunch of games for it out of the box. Make a little on hardware, establish the brand, maybe a profit-sharing deal with Valve is some fashion? Use Steam controllers? ...could capture some success so long as is cheap and has a library.
Boombloxer
(07-18-2017, 09:04 AM)

Originally Posted by ISee

Not to you maybe. But if they are able to go for a good performance/price ratio + AAA third party support + one or two good exclusives they could build a good foundation for a new Atari console brand, just like Microsoft did with the original xbox. Nothing that would be able to challenge Sony or Microsoft now, but maybe next gen. Of course it needs to be x64 based for that to happen and that's not very likely.

This is DOA, as it solves and provides nothing the other 4 platforms don't already do and better.

Worthless.
The Exploder
(07-18-2017, 09:08 AM)
It looks really cool, but I'm skeptical that it will have interesting software.
wondermega
(07-18-2017, 09:34 AM)
I work in the game industry for 20 yrs and my parents don't say boo about it.
There was a click about this story "new Atari console" on Entertainment Tonight or whatever the hell they watch and they asked me about it.

I was born in the mid 70s and Nintendo means the beginning of important games to me - my folks were born 20-odd years earlier and Atari has the same meaning, even if it is synchronous with Jukebox.

Nintendo, Sega, Atari. When Nintendo's current NES could not even be manufactured enough to make the money that name was worth, their peers of the day took notice, and here we are. If it has Pacman, Space Invaders, and.. like, River Raid.. it will make bank. Good for them.
ShinUltramanJ
(07-18-2017, 10:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Pops Maellard

The original was ribbed.
Chev
Banned
(07-18-2017, 10:47 AM)

Originally Posted by yyr

I'm still royally pissed at this company calling itself Atari for successfully blocking the PS4/PC releases of TxK.

If you should be pissed at them for something it should be for stealing all rights to Alone in the Dark from its actual creator back when they published it. They've been found guilty of that last year and basically owe him 25 years of royalties, which he'll probably never get due to the whole bankruptcy thing.
gingerbeardman
(07-18-2017, 11:12 AM)
Crazy to announce this and not actually show any games.
Celine
(07-18-2017, 11:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Baron_Calamity

http://www.atari-investisseurs.fr/do...e-final-cp.pdf

Important translation:

All.... hope... lost....

i still might get one just to have it with the rest of my atari collection.

Shameful.
Plans to release a new Atari branded hardware, have no confidence to fund the project with own resources/debt.
It's just another product that exists to cash in Atari fans nostalgia.
Bunga
(07-18-2017, 11:27 AM)
I absolutely love the appearance, that red is beautiful.
oti
(07-18-2017, 11:34 AM)
I want to meet a so-called "new fan of Atari".
petran79
(07-18-2017, 11:53 AM)
Playing Nintendo games via emulation will be a guilty pleasure
forgeforsaken
(07-18-2017, 12:00 PM)
Paddle controls and a version of Warlords and it will be worth it.
Cynicdotal
(07-18-2017, 12:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Shifty.

You forgot to include an image of the good color, OP:

That orange is some gaudy ass shit.

This would look nice on my mantelpiece
digoutyoursoul
(07-18-2017, 12:13 PM)
"Crowdfunding"

I'll pass.
TLZ
(07-18-2017, 12:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Baron_Calamity

http://www.atari-investisseurs.fr/do...e-final-cp.pdf

Important translation:

All.... hope... lost....

i still might get one just to have it with the rest of my atari collection.

I had good hopes until this.

Is this the coleco chameleon in disguise?
thepenguin55
(07-18-2017, 02:37 PM)

Originally Posted by AmyS

All three San Francisco Rush arcade games, or bust.

Midway came away with the rights to all of that stuff so I would assume Warner owns Rush (unless they quietly sold it off at some point).
Ninja Scooter
bow down to the
Kings in Raider hats
(07-18-2017, 02:40 PM)
C'mon get real people thinking this thing is being built as a competitor to modern consoles. This thing will be a "high end" version of those cheap as shit all-in-one boxes you see on store end caps.

The people who now own the Atari name and rights seem to vastly over estimate the impact and popularity those games have with modern audiences. The NES seems to be the cut off point for most people in terms of what constitutes a "classic" game. The stuff before that is like silent movies.
Last edited by Ninja Scooter; 07-18-2017 at 02:43 PM.
BattleMonkey
(07-18-2017, 02:43 PM)
This isn't going to be for competing with the big boys. Atari is just trying to cash in on the nostalgia train, like how Nintendo and Sega are releasing their old game boxes. And they are going to crowdfund it, so they are mitigating any risk.
Discomurf
(07-18-2017, 03:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Pops Maellard

Obviously you missed the first class of Videogames 101. ;)
Baron_Calamity
(07-18-2017, 04:47 PM)

Originally Posted by TLZ

I had good hopes until this.

Is this the coleco chameleon in disguise?

I don't think its that dire. The people involved seem a bit more capably than those folks. Doesn't mean it will be any good but it isn't likely a scam.