• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tales of Graces f English Screenshots

RPGCrazied

I'm assuming Graces's skits will all be voiced in English. Nobody has said otherwise yet, at least, and I think you could hear some voice in one of the earlier videos.

Actually, the off cam battle videos on gametrailers, the dude said all the skits are voiced.

EDIT: ARGH, beaten.

RPGCrazied

Of course I've only heard Asbel's voice, and I think one of the females in that trailer. Still have no idea what the other characters sound like. I have a strong feeling Troy Baker and Yuri Lowenthal will be in this game. They always seem to be present in jRPG's.

I liked the skits in this game, they were much more dynamic than the past games that have been brought out in English, since it wasn't just talking heads in a square.

Labadal

Since I'm bored and don't feel like playing anything, I thought that someone could anwser some questions.

Is the game balanced? As in, are there many difficulty spikes, is grinding required?
How does Normal difficulty compare to other Tales gamers?
Are all characters worth using in battle or is there some super awesome party combination? I hope rotatating characters will be worthwile.

I know that I shouldn't expect a masterful story, but how is the dialogue overall? I liked Vesperia's dialogue. I know you can only talk about the Japanese version, but that's not a problem.

Can we expect party members leaving the group at many times in the game? I'm not a big fan of that.

Is there a memorable villain in Graces? Vesperia is my favorite Tales game, but I felt that there was no villain that stood out. (It was both good and bad for different reasons.)

luca1980

Banned
Damn. You're going to love this game then. Rofl.

Are you serious or not?
I loved few parts of abyss plot and art design, other were ok but abyss was Imho alongside suikoden v and 1/2 ff12 one of the best jrpg on ps2. The ending with the final boss and dungeon rocked and jade was one of best tales recent characters imho. Does graces really really come near these levels of goodness?

Rpgmonkey

Well they're meant to help/reinforce the player. It seems in general Tales games have lightened up on the fat when it comes to skits. Rebirth probably had the record on that though. On average now though, its like 450-600 at most for any Tales game? Meanwhile Rebirth I think was in the 1000s or something.

I had to stop watching the skits in Rebirth after a certain point.

It felt like every story event, regardless of overall importance, would cause a flood of like 6 or 7 skits in a row and I just couldn't take it anymore. Think I started playing then immediately skipping them so I could at least stop the glowing text.

Shame Abyss never got voiced skits in English. Symphonia felt normal for the most part, but between the weird pacing, the characters' personalities, and the content of the skits, I thought a good number of the skits in Abyss were really awkward without voices.

Verelios

Are you serious or not?
I loved few parts of abyss plot and art design, other were ok but abyss was Imho alongside suikoden v and 1/2 ff12 one of the best jrpg on ps2. The ending with the final boss and dungeon rocked and jade was one of best tales recent characters imho. Does graces really really come near these levels of goodness?

Uh..well, I don't think it was meant in that way. Let's not get crazy now.

Abyss was as good as 1/2 ff12? The second part?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I only played Rebirth out of the ones you mentioned. Only a week till I finally play Graces though.

And yes, Rebirth is gorgeous. I just played through it again last November, and it's so pretty. And on top of that, the world was so interesting. I love when RPGs have these small locations that make the world feel more alive. So the hostels in Rebirth and all the churches in Symphonia were great IMO, plus the music in both in those areas was so relaxing. But yeah, Rebirth not being localized is such a bummer, since it's definitely top dog in terms of battle system.
The 2D Tales games are a blast of colour, and I love looking at them. They improved all the spritework from Phantasia, for example, so they're very nice to look at.

I love Symphonia so much, despite it not being my favourite Tales game. The music was awesome, too, so that helped a lot in my enjoyment. Symphonia just oozed a lot of personality, I guess, and that's why I became rather attached to it.

I'm so glad that this is the first question in the FAQ
Quick. People need to ask more questions for our FAQ section! :O

Is the game balanced? As in, are there many difficulty spikes, is grinding required?
How does Normal difficulty compare to other Tales gamers?
You don't need to grind. Xillia's easier than this game, I think. There was one boss that drove me absolutely nuts on Chaos mode since it went a little crazy as the battle went on. That may have been 20 hours in (I'm guessing because I didn't play Graces like a normal person would), but there aren't any bosses other than that one that made me feel that a difficulty spike happened. If you feel like an area is too hard or too easy, do note that you can change the difficulty on the fly in the Options menu in-game.

Note that fighting on harder difficulties will give you more XP, SP (to level up Titles), and more Gald.

I can't really answer the second question because I didn't play the game on that difficulty. I'm not sure. I'm not a very good judge of difficulty on GAF, I've noticed. Apparently I think things are too easy when they're not, lol.

Are all characters worth using in battle or is there some super awesome party combination? I hope rotatating characters will be worthwile.
Yes. Even using them manually is super-fun. They have two styles of combat, so playing around with them is likely worthwhile to the player. Just pick the characters you like to use and go from there. I liked using Asbel/Cheria/Hubert/Pascal, myself. I liked manually controlling all of them. I even liked manually controlling Malik to cast the spells I wanted.

I know that I shouldn't expect a masterful story, but how is the dialogue overall? I liked Vesperia's dialogue. I know you can only talk about the Japanese version, but that's not a problem.
It's okay. Nothing really special. Some of Sophie's dialogue makes her feel like a flat character (intentional), and Asbel says a lot of things like, "I won't lose!" "I'll protect you!" "I'll protect you!" "PROTECT!!!" but hopefully they've toned that sort of thing down in the localized text.

Can we expect party members leaving the group at many times in the game? I'm not a big fan of that.
It's hard to answer that without spoiling anything, but no, you're not going to be pushed into an FFIV type of situation. When you get all the party members early on in the game, you'll pretty much have them for most of the game.

Is there a memorable villain in Graces? Vesperia is my favorite Tales game, but I felt that there was no villain that stood out. (It was both good and bad for different reasons.)
Not really, no. Tales never really has very good villains anyway, imo.

Labadal

Thanks DS, I like what I'm reading! I'm glad that grinding isn't required, but I'm betting that I will fight more battles than the average player if I end up liking the battle system. I'm most happy about the part you bolded in your response. I was also expecting some party members to leave the party now and then, but as long as it isn't for too long I'll deal with it.

Wow, wait... maybe it was Rebirth that turned me around on Tales and not Vesperia. :eek:

Rebirth is the first one I remember you actually enjoying basically at all while you were playing it, then Vesperia was the first one you seemed to actually like all the way through, and then it was just a few short skips to SQUEE TP-FREE BATTLE SYSTEMS

Bladenic

Last time I ordered a game from Newegg (FFXIII-2), it arrived on Wednesday. I have an exam next Wednesday at 1, and then my usual night class that week is canceled. I'm so hoping ToGf arrives next Wednesday after my exam so I can play it all day after my exam! It would be a great way to start off the game.

I want Hana Kanazawa or I will find you and eat you alive.

ROFL!! Is there an inside joke I'm unaware of?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kana_Hanazawa

Also, whoever is editing wikipedia is saying Cassandra Lee Morris is voicing Sophie for the English version of Graces. I wonder if that's true.

I've only learned about these two actresses a couple months ago and they've become highlights for me these recent days. Funny that they both may be doing the same character in this game.

If Sophie English voice can be heard in the trailer though, I didn't hear anyone that sounded like Cass so I'll try not to get too excited about that yet.

Anyway, looking forward to the game next week.... and some Motoi Sakuraba rythm goodness. I hope he did most of the soundtrack. I find it fun listening to the songs in-game and identifying by ear if it's Sakuraba or the other guy who composed the song I'm hearing. I'm always hoping for an awesome Sakuraba song when I first enter a town or dungeon. Mmmmm.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Also, whoever is editing wikipedia is saying Cassandra Lee Morris is voicing Sophie for the English version of Graces. I wonder if that's true.

I've only learned about these two actresses a couple months ago and they've become highlights for me these recent days. Funny that they both may be doing the same character in this game.

If Sophie English voice can be heard in the trailer though, I didn't hear anyone that sounded like Cass so I'll try not to get too excited about that yet.
I don't know if its Sophie that Cassandra Morris is voicing but her LinkedIn profile does list Tales of Graces now: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/cassandra-lee-morris/6/a01/a55

Top Bottom