• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

beril

Gunman Clive was short but sweet and I love the echoes of Mega Man. Just nice to kick back with on a lazy Sunday. I hope it does well, beril!

For some reason though, the last boss was really easy to kill. I brought in the gun that fires that purple jumping fireball, hopped off the fist to fire at point blank range and he instantly died. o_O

Yea I know, he's really only balanced for the standard weapon, but if you bring in another gun from the previous level you can kill him ridiculously fast. Probably should have done something about it, but somehow I found it a bit charming the way it is now

Gratuitous Space Battles...
The 'core' of GSB is here intact. Wish that it had retina gfx as the game is a bit blurry. MP would've been great. Red Marble Games promises the new expansions as IAP in the future. Not worth 9.99 right now, but after a few updates...maybe.

cackhyena

I'll get it on a price drop and hope sometime in between there is a patch, but yeah, def getting it. It's the type of game I love the concept of, but would never spend the time with on my computer. My bed however, before sleeping? Yezzir.

HBP

Sky landers is free today from free app daily if anyone is interested, it's kind of like freemyapps but an actual iOS app.

AEREC

Got a question about Mass Effect Infiltrator...does it ruin any story in Mass Effect 3? Im slowly working my way through ME3 as I havent had much time to play it due to being busy (which is why Ive been iOS gaming more lately in short bursts).

Anyways Im interested in playing it but didnt want to ruin anything from the main game.

kennah

Got a question about Mass Effect Infiltrator...does it ruin any story in Mass Effect 3? Im slowly working my way through ME3 as I havent had much time to play it due to being busy (which is why Ive been iOS gaming more lately in short bursts).

Anyways Im interested in playing it but didnt want to ruin anything from the main game.

People have assured me that it has no ME3 story spoilers. I had the same concern.

HBP

How does this work? All I see is sponsored apps.

You download the three games/apps below and run them. After that they show a check mark underneath, after you do all three you can get skylanders. I've gotten about half a dozen games from there recently, seems to work fairly well.

Enco

You download the three games/apps below and run them. After that they show a check mark underneath, after you do all three you can get skylanders. I've gotten about half a dozen games from there recently, seems to work fairly well.
Got a link to the app?

GeekyDad

Sky landers is free today from free app daily if anyone is interested, it's kind of like freemyapps but an actual iOS app.

Cool little app. Seems to require less in terms of what you have to do compared to freemyapps, and you basically don't have to fool with anything if the giveaway doesn't interest you.

By the way, for folks having issues with the first sponsor app, download the other two first, then go back to that one last and it should download.

I downloaded Zen Pinball today and wow, the Ipad was born for pinball games. Playing the device vertical really makes you feel like you are looking down at a pinball table.

What other pinball recommendations are there?

I haven't tried it yet, but there's a Frogger pinball game
developed by the same devs who did the Kirby pinball game for the GBA.

I do really like Zen Pinball, but it feels like it plays better on the iPhone. Maybe that's because, on the iPad, you really notice that the game doesn't give you too much nuanced control over the flippers; it's all or nothing.

I haven't tried it yet, but there's a Frogger pinball game
developed by the same devs who did the Kirby pinball game for the GBA.

I do really like Zen Pinball, but it feels like it plays better on the iPhone. Maybe that's because, on the iPad, you really notice that the game doesn't give you too much nuanced control over the flippers; it's all or nothing.

Frogger pinball looks kinda like shit though, I wish it was as good as Kirby pinball.

Is there anything else out there that's more like Kirby/Pokemon/metroid prime pinball? I like the boss battle and stuff in these video gamey pinball games.

Milla

Neo Member
I've got another three Flick Kick Football codes. First in...

mzl.rfdquqit.320x480-75.jpg

Quote this post to be in.

Zeth

I'm so incredibly addicted to Cave shmups lately. They're all I've touched on my iPad in the past 2 weeks or so. DDPR HD and Bug Princess 2 non stop. I've only just started on Maniac after hitting a wall (in score and survival) in original mode.

Might just buy Bug Panic, it's the only one I don't have. Anyone have an opinion on it?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Well you're in luck, a lot of people say Gunman Clive is too short, and if you are really good you can beat in in 20 minutes.

Not really sure what you're after, but one thing I believe I do differently than a lot of iOS platformers is how much effort I've put into in keeping it varied and fresh all the way through and not just throw a in a gazillion of levels with the same enemies and same tileset

Depends on which version of the device, it runs pretty bad on ipad 1 and iphone 4 (still runs decently with the lower graphic settings though), but perfectly on ipad 2, iphone 4S and quite well on 3GS, though the style doesn't really work well in the lower resolution (plus I've screwed up a bit with the current version so I accidently set it to render at even lower res; but I've sent in a new update that's waiting for release). Playing on ipad helps to avoid blocking the view with your fingers, but I find it a bit heavy to hold

Thanks for adding that part, most people just seem to want more stuff to be added for free. Not sure if either will happen anytime soon though. I desperately want to start a new project but still have a lot of things I have to fix with Clive first and I'm not being very productive right now

I ended up buying it and beating it in one sitting. Took about an hour. Great value, awesome game.

Ledsen

So when i got my iphone4 at launch i played and bought tons of games on it for a couple of months. Then i realized they all kind of sucked compared to console/pc games and I'd rather play those, so i haven't played any iOS games in over a year. But then... I started up The Quest. Holy badass Batman! This, together with tiny wings and pvz, is the absolute best game I've ever played on iOS, and I'm actually playing it over my DS right now. It's like oblivion, but actually good, and on my phone. Also touch controls work great since it's grid based (virtual dpads etc in most games=i will never ever play it no matter how good the game).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So when i got my iphone4 at launch i played and bought tons of games on it for a couple of months. Then i realized they all kind of sucked compared to console/pc games and I'd rather play those, so i haven't played any iOS games in over a year. But then... I started up The Quest. Holy badass Batman! This, together with tiny wings and pvz, is the absolute best game I've ever played on iOS, and I'm actually playing it over my DS right now.

Do you have the billion expansions, too? All are fantastic as well.

Ledsen

Do you have the billion expansions, too? All are fantastic as well.

I have the gold version so i should be set for a while at least :) this is the kind of game i want on iOS. Involved and deep like a pc game, but still great for short sessions, and with a UI and controls that works great because the genre is originally mouse-based, and its a slow game and not a platformer or action game.

GeekyDad

I'm so incredibly addicted to Cave shmups lately. They're all I've touched on my iPad in the past 2 weeks or so. DDPR HD and Bug Princess 2 non stop. I've only just started on Maniac after hitting a wall (in score and survival) in original mode.

Might just buy Bug Panic, it's the only one I don't have. Anyone have an opinion on it?

Same here. I tried the Lite version and didn't really fall in love with it because of the controls, but it is a very well made game. I'm starting to come around to virtual controls a little more now that I've spent more time gaming on my phone. For a buck, I'd say nab it while it's cheap. I'm still on the fence mainly because it's over 200MB and I don't really have the space.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I have the gold version so i should be set for a while at least :) this is the kind of game i want on iOS. Involved and deep like a pc game, but still great for short sessions, and with a UI and controls that works great because the genre is originally mouse-based, and its a slow game and not a platformer or action game.

The ONLY issue I have is that if you set it down for a while, you're pretty much screwed in terms of progress. I've restarted my game a few times because I forgot what I was doing and where I was going, haha.

Zeth

Same here. I tried the Lite version and didn't really fall in love with it because of the controls, but it is a very well made game. I'm starting to come around to virtual controls a little more now that I've spent more time gaming on my phone. For a buck, I'd say nab it while it's cheap. I'm still on the fence mainly because it's over 200MB and I don't really have the space.

Heh didnt realize it was $1, or that it had a lite version. I'll check it out.

How's Puzzle Quest HD for iPad? I remember loving the demo when I played it however many years ago it came out on 360, it seems like the perfect game for the iPad.

I can't figure out how to get a few achievements in DoDonPachi Resurrection, can anyone help me out? They are:

Hidden 2008 Tokyo (Discover the hidden route in Stage 1)
Fire a Hyper Cannon at Level 2 and 3

attractivetb

Neo Member
One more positive review for Gunman Clive. Just downloaded it and played through on my iPad. A great experience, and I imagine it's even better on iPhone. It is exactly what an iOS game should be. Beautiful, fun and bite sized. :)

GeekyDad

Heh didnt realize it was $1, or that it had a lite version. I'll check it out.

I ended up going ahead and buying it after posting my reply to you. :p I'm diggin' it, though it's weird -- the Lite version had an actual tutorial at the beginning of the game, but the full version just throws you in and has its tutorial as screenshots. Anyway, definitely worth a buck. It's a very cool hybrid, but the virtual joystick can be problematic when trying to avoid the bullet waves.

dropped in a pic of Aquaria - you can see from the image it really needs the screen real estate of the ipad to play. Any smaller and, well, it don't work. Its like sword and sorcery - which from what Ive read; translated very poorly to the phone.

Absolutely loved the game on my phone. Not sure what problems you read about, but it was glorious, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom