• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFX HD... still coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Ok, by meltdown, I don't mean excitement. I meant that everyone lost their mind taking a gigantic, steaming dump on the game, crying foul for turning Yuna into a pop-star. The skimpy outfits (particularly Rikku's), the guns, the pop music, the notion of a sequel at all, it was a totally sour reveal for the crowd I was hanging with online.

I didn't know what to think. I'm glad I kept an open mind though. Upon playing it, it was a phenomenal experience, even if the story and soundtrack were abysmal. Great battle system, job system, visuals, etc. I was never a fan of the CTB (as far as I'm concerned, a concrete step backward from the ATB), and to see super fast-paced ATB return with chain/simultaneous attacks was just plain awesome. With tons of non-linearity mixed in (evoking a World of Ruin vibe a la FFVI) and seeing a world transformed in some interesting ways post-main-FF story for the first time, it turned out to be a really interesting experience.

Pretty sure that was the year I moved to Japan.. I remember it being a pretty big deal. Again, that game/marketing was def designed for a Japanese audience. I'm not surprised it was received oddly elsewhere. I actually didn't even bother with it till recently. As others have said, it's a great game.

Going to bring some DF back in, but for sanity this time.

X-2, the Final Fantasy starving of affection.

No one understood this underrated gem. You guys never got over the What can I do for you? trauma, even in 2011. What an absolute waste, I can't help but quit my lurking.

While X was full of ingenuousness and naivety, X-2 is the actual opposite: extremely cynical.

At the end of X, everyone were expecting peace to be kept over Spira forever: it is implied during the whole story that Sin was the only threat for humankind. NOTHING was supposed to stain the so-expected felicity.

Yet X-2 proves all of this was a total mis-belief and that's how the game is brilliant. Instead of focusing the plot around a third-party source of conflicts, around another Sin in short, X-2 renders every single Spira's human being as the actual source of problem: we believed they all were oblivious fellas seeking for an everlasting tranquility, they'll end up being the very cause of their own devastation through all these tribe wars. Humankind fucks up in X-2 just as they fucked up during the machina war. Vegnagum is the allegory of this persistent self-destruction over millenniums.

X-2 is much more than a praising for J-Pop or solely targeted at the female audience: it's a Final Fantasy with two completely distinct levels of interpretations and that's what which makes it so rich.

The transition between the two opening tracks was too obvious to be overlooked. But the FF fanboy, stuck in their narrow vision of what a FF should be (while a FF is always ground-breaking by definition thus impossible to be defined) chose to neglect it.

Playing X and X-2 in a row makes it all limpid.

X-2 definitely deserves to be X's sequel but more than that: it deserves to be a Final Fantasy.

Wow. Never thought about it that deep.

Kyon

Banned
Sphere Break is my favorite FF minigame!

Again flawfree Aeana. I am truly SHOCKED we share love for X-2 and Sphere break T__T
Lady Luck Dressphere was a great tie in with it being one of the more great jobs. Including Mascot, Floral Fallal, Dark Knight and Psychic. Bare was a travesty tho... Still don't know how that made it in but oh well the level boost was appreciated I guess

Levyne

Banned
Again flawfree Aeana. I am truly SHOCKED we share love for X-2 and Sphere break T__T
Lady Luck Dressphere was a great tie in with it being one of the more great jobs. Including Mascot, Floral Fallal, Dark Knight and Psychic. Bare was a travesty tho... Still don't know how that made it in but oh well the level boost was appreciated I guess

Your posting style is great. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Kyon

Banned
Narolf I simply have no WORDS for such a flawless take on the ICONIC FF X-2. The fact that I can't find a Yuna gif on the net is a damn mess. I shall correct this error humanity has produced.

On to X

Think the only thing that bothered me was getting Waka's ultimate weapon

Your posting style is great. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Thank you fellow FFGaffer :)

Ok, by meltdown, I don't mean excitement. I meant that everyone lost their mind taking a gigantic, steaming dump on the game, crying foul for turning Yuna into a pop-star. The skimpy outfits (particularly Rikku's), the guns, the pop music, the notion of a sequel at all, it was a totally sour reveal for the crowd I was hanging with online.

The outfits were well designed actually imho.

To its credit, FFX-2 remains the only FF (post FF V) which shows visible changes to it's protagonists' outfits when a job is switched, rather than only listing the stat increase/decrease that comes with the job.

I mean in the other FFs, the most you'd get is a weapon model change/swap when changing weapons in your equipment menu. Armor/helm/accessory changes were not reflected in your character models at all.

Now that was one of my favorites in particular.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Lightning Returns will have costume changes..

Just another check on the list.

Jarekx

Gosh, Gimme X, X-2, and XII and I'd be in gaming heaven on my vita. All FF's up to 12 would be positively sublime!

I'm an expert

Check on the list for being a plagiarized mess that will sell less than X-2 like XIII-2 also failed to do? :/

I totally left that statement open like that for this reply lol. /chaching

Kyon

Banned
I would not be surprised if XII HD was announced a year from now. It's less work for them to do an upres job instead of an entire remake for the PS1 games

jiggle

they're gonna need a lot of time to fix vaan's wonky abs

edit: actually they should just rip the model from dissidia
jbg95DD00cY8jd.jpg

prwxv3

One of my favorite things about X is that you can change party members during battle. I loved that. I pretty much used everyone except for Kimahri. I hope they bring that back again for another FF.

I really don't understand the love for FF X-2 outside the battle system. I was really disappointed when I found out that they were reusing mostly FF X locations without much difference. The J-pop/pop culture and dancing theme I already was aware of before I even played the game (so that didn't bother me the most).
I didn't like the mission structure and all kinds of silly things you had to do to in order to progress. I enjoyed playing through the battle system and seeing the old gang and the changes to old locations.

I will probably see the flaws of FF X more by playing it a second time. Back when I was 13 all these characters were impressive and I probably accepted a lot of stupid dialogue (which is something I have no patience for today).

One of my favorite things about X is that you can change party members during battle. I loved that. I pretty much used everyone except for Kimahri. I hope they bring that back again for another FF.

Oh yeah I loved that and the sphere grid! (EU player here). I would be including everyone into the battle all the time like obsessively.

I would not be surprised if XII HD was announced a year from now. It's less work for them to do an upres job instead of an entire remake for the PS1 games

Oh man I would cry happy tears of joy when they'll announce FFXII HD with that Zodiac Job System. I just have that awkward feeling that the FFXII I've played wasn't the FFXII it had to be.

prwxv3

Oh man I would cry happy tears of joy when they'll announce FFXII HD with that Zodiac Job System. I just have that awkward feeling that the FFXII I've played wasn't the FFXII it had to be.

Yea I am playing FFXII right now and its great but the fact that all the characters can do everything at the same time really hurts the experience.

suzu

I thought they were going to replace the flat expression-less models with the more realistic face models... and then make HD versions of those. D:

Made every character useful. No penalties for switching characters in and out.

I miss the CTB so much, it let you plan out all your steps and strategize according to the enemy composition and current tactical situation.

Yea I am playing FFXII right now and its great but the fact that all the characters can do everything at the same time really hurts the experience.

I personally liked that you could mold your characters to be whatever you wanted them to be in the Vanilla FFXII, but for everything else, IZJS definitely rules supreme.

suzu

those are just battle/exploration models (?)

Oh, well some cutscenes had those models and it just looked off at times.

I personally liked that you could mold your characters to be whatever you wanted them to be in the Vanilla FFXII, but for everything else, IZJS definitely rules supreme.

Yeah. I liked being able to do whatever I wanted with all the characters.

Although they could have added some more stuff to differentiate them from each other, I suppose.

jiggle

what's so special about zjs?
are there new character/job specific spells/abilities?
or is it just a restriction they put on character growth that didn't exist in the regular version?

I'm an expert

or is it just a restriction they put on character growth that didn't exist in the regular version?

There's predetermined roles with different boards, once you pick one you can't change. They changed the summoning control mechanics as well..added a stupid bow I tried forever to get..bunch of tweaks.

Skyzard

Banned
Looks pretty neat, glad they didn't drop it and dragons crown like was being rumoured, will have ff7-10 on my vita by the end of it.

prwxv3

There's predetermined roles with different boards, once you pick one you can't change. They changed the summoning mechanics as well..added a stupid bow I tried forever to get..bunch of tweaks.

They also fixed the stupid limit system so that you dont use your magic bars for limits. And they added a amazing speed things up button.

12 Job Specific License Boards to choose from, each representing a Sign of the Zodiac. Can only pick one for your character which limits you to abilities/spells/tecknicks unique to the LB you chose. Choosing the wrong combination of jobs can mess up your progression big time, especially if you're aiming for 100% completion.

Pressing L1 creates super happy fun time in the game's world. (Game speed quadruples)

Spells and Tecknicks must now be both purchased and discovered in the treasure chests on the overworld. Can't buy em all in Shops anymore

A new ultimate bow weapon for the Archer.

No more forbidden chests concept in the Phon Coast

Your MP now increases significantly per level up

Break Damage Limit and Break HP Limit granted from the start. All forms of damage can now exceed 9999, previously it was limited to Quickenings in the Vanilla FFXII

Amongst other changes.

They also fixed the stupid limit system so that you dont use your magic bars for limits. And they added a amazing speed things up button.

You could actually exploit this in the vanilla FFXII by using Ethers to get moar and moar mist carts lol. Infinite Awakening spams ftw lol.

I'm an expert

Aye, I barely used that shit in the first game except I think for one boss in the aqueducts..and I don't remember why..

Never used the speed up button though. When I unlocked it in 13-2 I did though..was neat.

prwxv3

Aye, I barely used that shit in the first game except I think for one boss in the aqueducts..and I don't remember why..

Never used the speed up button though. When I unlocked it in 13-2 I did though..was neat.

I used limits for the esper fight where magic is disabled so you might as well use Quickenings.

khaaan

hm
that don't sound so hot :X

There's actually a big list of changes but some of the notable ones I can remember include:

• Fast Forward button that speeds up the game
  • Ability to Control guests and espers
  • New Gambits
  • All existing gambits become available early on in the game

Think of it like all the FF12 abilities split into various jobs.

That's how it should've been tbh :)

It makes 12 into an even more amazing game. Trust us, it's supa hot fiyah.

If you came into this right after playing both FF X International with the Expert Sphere Grid mode and FF XII vanilla, you could see how restricting it is.

There is a reason why making your chars into demigods is awesome.

I'm an expert

If you came into this right after playing both FF X and FF XII vanilla, you could see how restricting it is.

Well, I'm assuming most people by default play vanilla 12 by assigning roles to their chars artificially. Like Vaan will be a melee, Penelo a caster, and you move around the board like that. I don't think it dawns on anyone in the beginning that hey..I can make 6 of the exact same character.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw this... very relieved to hear it isn't cancelled!

With this, Soul Sacrifice, and Persona 4, I think I will consider my Vita purchase (@ $179.99 Assassin's Creed bundle) worth it.

Kyon

Banned
If you came into this right after playing both FF X International with the Expert Sphere Grid mode and FF XII vanilla, you could see how restricting it is.

I've only played and still own my imported copies of both X International and XII ZJS. I can't imagine the STRUGGLE of playing vanilla of either

after seeing these screens this morning and being unimpressed with them I decided to try out PCSX2 and my copy of FFXII. I was kind of waiting for this release but I don't see the point anymore when I can get these visuals right now with all my old FF games.

Skilletor

after seeing these screens this morning and being unimpressed with them I decided to try out PCSX2 and my copy of FFXII. I was kind of waiting for this release but I don't see the point anymore when I can get these visuals right now with all my old FF games.

Probably because it doesn't require a powerful computer to do so. Also, I can't play FFX on a handheld.

injurai

Banned
Probably because it doesn't require a powerful computer to do so. Also, I can't play FFX on a handheld.

Yeah, I find it hard to play rpgs on consoles or PCs these days. even if im just sitting around at home I like it right in my hand. I kinda walk around the house with my DS and stuff.

I'm an expert

Yeah, I find it hard to play rpgs on consoles or PCs these days. even if im just sitting around at home I like it right in my hand. I kinda walk around the house with my DS and stuff.

Er..what? Go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom