• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVII| I don't really care if /mu/ cry

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
2012-2015 probably longer and I'm pointing out the irony. Obviously they are two different people
I mean was asking for examples lol, but it’s fine. I didn’t listen to most of her Bangerz album, but after checking the tracklist, it has a lot of rap. And ah irony. gotcha.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I give it like 5 months to when Tyga drops his "I Hit It First" and then his career fades away for good.

Alpende

Moments With: Big Boi
We chopped it up with Big Boi to talk about everything from the newly released Boomiverse, to why Rico Wade is considered hip-hop’s Yoda, Dave Chappelle and more.

"Moments With" is our newest video installment that brings viewers in for an intimate moment with some of the most iconic names in the music game.​

allumé

Cool video, thanks for posting. I really like hearing Big Boi's thoughts. His videos judging new music are great as well

shoelacer

Banned
When did Miley ever do rap? Maybe a couple of songs here and there during her ”I'm done with Disney" phase, that made her think smoking weed was the coolest thing ever? And Miley is not her sisters keeper, and if someone is bound and determined to do something they will.

She got mike.will and juicy j on her album and told her producers she wanted it to sound 'real black'. She never rapped but she definitely tried curating the 'down white girl' thing

god damnit i never notice when it's a new page

Eos

Which career breh

dead.png

Village

Talking about Hip Hop has been weird for me as of late. The social dichotomy of the " changing of the guard" so to speak and the distance that has come from the newer rap sound has been interesting to watch.
But I'm supposed to be the demo for a lot of newer rappers, so its weird. So i'm like

" i support you expressing yourself and progressing the medium as you see fit as a person who's young in a field older cats judge me as well. But I'll be damned if I don't like listening to most of you"

I don't know, its weird. The conversation around rap music the last few years is weird and I don't know how to feel about it.

What's weirdo that as of late I find myself listening to actual rapping less and less and more into instrumental works more.

Eh I don't know, something something mumbling something something oldheads.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
She got mike.will and juicy j on her album and told her producers she wanted it to sound 'real black'. She never rapped but she definitely tried curating the 'down white girl' thing

Oh damn. I still feel as if that was her trying to be edgy with a younger generation. Basically her “let’s get Wild phase” that everyone was predicting since she became a Disney star. I think it’s good that she stopped trying to sound “real black.” It wasn’t who she was or who she is. She was just able to not be censored anymore by her managers. It happens with a lot of young stars.

Talking about Hip Hop has been weird for me as of late. The social dichotomy of the " changing of the guard" so to speak and the distance that has come from the newer rap sound has been interesting to watch.
But I'm supposed to be the demo for a lot of newer rappers, so its weird. So i'm like

" i support you expressing yourself and progressing the medium as you see fit as a person who's young in a field older cats judge me as well. But I'll be damned if I don't like listening to most of you"

I don't know, its weird. The conversation around rap music the last few years is weird and I don't know how to feel about it.

What's weirdo that as of late I find myself listening to actual rapping less and less and more into instrumental works more.

It’s called getting old and it sucks :(

Village

Nah but i'm like young, like i'm literally the same age as some of these young rappers trashing on old hip hop. I don't think liking different hip hop makes me older or a more " dignified person" as much as listening to more modern stuff makes you young. I'm early 20's, unless that's old head status now,shit moves fast . Its just an interesting conversation to have, because I get called an old head and i'm like " I'm like your age, we are the same age" . Its a weird conversation to have.

Like having shit advertised to you like you are supposed to be in the demo and your not. Its always an interesting feeling.

" I support your artistic pursuits, but i'll be damned if I only like migos out of like all ya'll"

Oh damn. I still feel as if that was her trying to be edgy with a younger generation. Basically her “let’s get Wild phase” that everyone was predicting since she became a Disney star. I think it’s good that she stopped trying to sound “real black.” It wasn’t who she was or who she is. She was just able to not be censored anymore by her managers. It happens with a lot of young stars.

Wait, out of curiosity, but why does Post Malone seem like cultural appriotation and what Miley Cyrus did, didn't?

Numb

Nah but i'm like young, like i'm literally the same age as some of these young rappers trashing on old hip hop. I don't think liking different hip hop makes me older or a more " dignified person" as much as listening to more modern stuff makes you young. I'm early 20's, unless that's old head status now,shit moves fast . Its just an interesting conversation to have, because I get called an old head and i'm like " I'm like your age, we are the same age" . Its a weird conversation to have.

Like having shit advertised to you like you are supposed to be in the demo and your not. Its always an interesting feeling.

" I support your artistic pursuits, but i'll be damned if I only like migos out of like all ya'll"
Hiphopdx just did a rap generation vid

young bloods just dont get it

If you don't like it, it's fine to not like it. The trend with so-called oldheads is that they make broad assumptions and shit on trap without having really listened to it. If you've given trap a fair look and listened to what's out there and then decided you don't like it, it's a completely valid opinion to hold because you can then properly defend it. You don't like what you don't like.
what are some good mba programs in europe brehs
I heard the School of Hard Knocks has a great program.

"23" is the most egregious example of this. This was when she was "dating" Mike Will for a little bit, and its so culture-vulturey its awful.
Wait, out of curiosity, but why does Post Malone seem like cultural appriotation and what Miley Cyrus did, didn't?
I guess what Waffle is trying to say is that, in pop, stars adopt and discard personas every couple years. Lady Gaga went from electro-pop to pop rebel to real artist. Taylor went from country sweetheart to big pop star to leather & electronics. It's the norm for artists to flit in and out of genres, but with rap becoming the mainstream, said pop artists are adopting more """urban""" personas. See: Katy Perry's "woke" album cycle, complete with cameos from the Migos and Nicki. For pop fans, this is just another day, but for people coming from hip-hop, it seems like the most flagrant form of cultural appropriation because apparently choosing trap-flavored production and featuring rappers makes you more "woke" and "urban-sounding."

"23" is the most egregious example of this. This was when she was "dating" Mike Will for a little bit, and its so culture-vulturey its awful.

I guess what Waffle is trying to say is that, in pop, stars adopt and discard personas every couple years. Lady Gaga went from electro-pop to pop rebel to real artist. Taylor went from country sweetheart to big pop star to leather & electronics. It's the norm for artists to flit in and out of genres, but with rap becoming the mainstream, said pop artists are adopting more """urban""" personas. See: Katy Perry's "woke" album cycle, complete with cameos from the Migos and Nicki. For pop fans, this is just another day, but for people coming from hip-hop, it seems like the most flagrant form of cultural appropriation because apparently choosing trap-flavored production and featuring rappers makes you more "woke" and "urban-sounding."
Hey this is actually a very good point

I think it's ridiculous people even in the hip hop industry are shaming Cardi B for being a former stripper. It's 2017 who cares how you make your money as long as its legal. She wasn't selling drugs or anything

I think it's ridiculous people even in the hip hop industry are shaming Cardi B for being a former stripper. It's 2017 who cares how you make your money as long as its legal. She wasn't selling drugs or anything
BUT SHE SHOWED HER TIDDIES !!!1!1

FOR MONEY!!!!1!

I DON'T WANT SEX IN MY RIPPITY RAPS, JUST MURDER AND DRUGS AND DUDES MAKING SEXUAL ENTENDRES.

Ross61

Wait, who in the hip hop industry is shaming Cardi B?! She seems pretty cool with everyone. She damn sure isn’t the first stripper or sex worker to rap. Or even a women who articulate their sexual desires through rap eloquently.

You mean fans?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm going through the Doom discography and love some of the tracks on Operation: Doomsday, they seem so different from his other output. The laid back beats on Doomsday, The Finest and Red & Gold are fantastic. The only album that hasn't clicked with me immediately is The Mouse and The Mask.

T Dollarz

I'm going through the Doom discography and love some of the tracks on Operation: Doomsday, they seem so different from his other output. The laid back beats on Doomsday, The Finest and Red & Gold are fantastic. The only album that hasn't clicked with me immediately is The Mouse and The Mask.

Operation : Doomsday, Mm.. Food, and Madvillainy all have legitimate cases to be considered his best album. It's one of the holiest trios of albums in hip hop.

Village

On the subject DOOM I also really enjoy the mouse and the mask because of the skits and dengermouse production, a lot of people write it off because its a corporate thing with cartoons in it, but really enjoy that album. And TBH I like Doom and Dangermouse more than I like Doom and Madlib, and I really like madlib. But danger mouse , has this weird ass sound in how he produces shit.

Beside that nas comment making me feel an anger beyond my years. I think a good thing brought up in the end is " hey don't fucking yell at the young people because that just makes them not like you" as a young people I can attest to that. But further more He brings up the idea of " why even call it hip hop" which is really a good question and suggests there would be artists that wouldn't want to be associated with "hip hop" . I wonder what you would call this then?

If you don't like it, it's fine to not like it. The trend with so-called oldheads is that they make broad assumptions and shit on trap without having really listened to it. If you've given trap a fair look and listened to what's out there and then decided you don't like it, it's a completely valid opinion to hold because you can then properly defend it. You don't like what you don't like.

True true, its just weird being like " In an argument I will defend you dudes , but I don't like most of you"

CDQ of this shit needs to drop NOW.

Post Malone gonna fuck around and drop a classic if this keeps going at this rate.

Bieber has a flawless record on hip-hop records.
Not gonna lie, the Bieber bit of this track is too fucking hot.

Imagine being in the club and an entire crowd sings "100 years from now, we gone all be dead, all be dead."

And I'm hoping Beerbongs comes out soon, maybe towards December.

Imo, Vaudeville Villain is his third best album.

Top Bottom