• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

DieH@rd

Banned
With WiFi direct does the PS4 have to have Ethernet plugged in to work

We know what happens with PS3, and off course nobody has access to PS4.

With wifi direct, PS3 is still be able to wirelessly connect to the router to get the Internet, but that traffic will be put in a lower priority [it will work slower]. We talked about that in this thread, one gaffer tested it. LAN cable is still prefered way, because then PS3 [and presumably PS4] has full speed access to the web.

forgive me if this has been answered, but if my buddy has a ps4, and i have a vita, will i be able to play his ps4 games if he's not playing ps4?

After one time setup at his house... yes. But remember, Vita can work only with one active account at the time. You need to either to dedicate one memory card to your friends account [it has to be his account on your vita], or you must be ready to wipe your card whenever you want to switch accounts.

HT UK

I predict this will work fine when accessing via local network.

But accessing from a different location via Wi-Fi will probably be very inconsistent. There are just too many variables that would all need to be perfect. Your PS4 would have to be connected to an internet service with a high & consistent upload rate. Whilst the Vita would need to be connected to a reliable wi-fi service with good download speed, that isn't being accessed by loads of devices.

Cels

all the impressions i have seen so far are glowing and full of praise. but has remote play been tested in conditions other than "psv right next to ps4" like say 5 miles away over wifi, or even 25 feet away?

Lasdrub

- It did not work good with PSP
- It is passable with Vita/PS3 in home conditions, but nothing to write home about
- OnLive/Gaikai worked fine if you were in good range of it
- WiiU works great with it [480p streaming on 10m distances]
- PS4 Remote Play seems to work fine with Vita/VitaTV [544p/720p], but we need to wait more for detailed test

I agree with this. I am hopeful.

How well does project shield work?

Edit:

Pretty well.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=/

Twio

Scenario: If my PS4 is in Manhattan and I'm in Short Hills, NJ (19.9 mi apart) at a friend's house with a PS Vita TV attempting to use remote play over the internet how will the performance be?

PS4 in Manhattan: 150mbps down/25mbps up (ethernet)

PS Vita TV in Short Hills: 15mbps down/5mbps up (wi-fi)

DieH@rd

Banned
Scenario: If my PS4 is in Manhattan and I'm in Short Hills, NJ (19.9 mi apart) at a friend's house with a PS Vita TV attempting to use remote play over the internet how will the performance be?

PS4 in Manhattan: 150mbps down/25mbps up (ethernet)

PS Vita TV in Short Hills: 15mbps down/5mbps up (wi-fi)

Bandwidths are fine, distance is not too large. Ping should be below 20ms.

But the only way you can be sure is to personally test ping between those two locations. Take laptop/smartphone/tablet and connect to the Short Hills wi-fi and ping computer at Manhattan. Ping it several times to get good average result, and post results. :)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nice OT!

ib1UkayUQFl6sk.gif

:lol

Never gets old.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Bandwidths are fine, distance is not too large. Ping should be below 20ms.

But the only way you can be sure is to personally test ping between those two locations. Take laptop/smartphone/tablet and connect to the Short Hills wi-fi and ping computer at Manhattan. Ping it several times to get good average result, and post results. :)

The ping will only be low if they are both on the same ISP, there is no telling what the ping/latency will be if both are on different providers.

Raonak

Banned
I thought i remembered reading that the PS4 had 2 wifi chips, one dedicated to remote play, so you could use remote play and still connect online.

Including installed games that don't have the disc in the drive?

No, but PS4 never had the functionality to play installed disk games without the disk in the first place.

Remote play can practically do everything you could normally do with your PS4 minus camera stuff.

Lesiroth

I'm still extremely skeptical this will work as smoothly as they claim to.
However for all the arguments of the experiences reported being in a "controlled environment", wouldn't a trade show with loads of wireless connections and interference everywhere be detrimental to PS4-Vita Remote Play?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm still extremely skeptical this will work as smoothly as they claim to.
However for all the arguments of the experiences reported being in a "controlled environment", wouldn't a trade show with loads of wireless connections and interference everywhere be detrimental to PS4-Vita Remote Play?
The interference present in such an environment certainly doesn't help. But you're pretty close, which you wouldn't be at home.

In the end I think it looks pretty alright for home play for most people. Not necessarily for people like myself that went out of their way to buy the best (at the time) HDTV when it comes to input lag.

Anony

too bad sony fucking software locked the remote play feature on ps3
cfw ps3 unlocks remote play for every game, which is bullshit imo

DBT85

The interference present in such an environment certainly doesn't help. But you're pretty close, which you wouldn't be at home.

In the end I think it looks pretty alright for home play for most people. Not necessarily for people like myself that went out of their way to buy the best (at the time) HDTV when it comes to input lag.

The real question though is how many gamers actually do go out and look for the lowest possible input lag in their TVs? I've no doubt there are millions and millions (the majority) of PS3 and Xbox 360 owners out there with TVs set to do a ton of processing not only cocking up the image but also making it appear on the screen a few weeks after it was created on the console.

benny_a

The real question though is how many gamers actually do go out and look for the lowest possible input lag in their TVs? I've no doubt there are millions and millions (the majority) of PS3 and Xbox 360 owners out there with TVs set to do a ton of processing not only cocking up the image but also making it appear on the screen a few weeks after it was created on the console.
A miniscule percentage, that's why I think to a lesser degree we will have reports from people that have the Vita respond quicker to the inputs than their main HDTV.

Even if they have a good TV input lag wise, if it doesn't remember to be in the low post-processing mode on the consoles but rather sticks to Cinema for everything you're automatically getting worse numbers. Not many switch those settings around.

too bad sony fucking software locked the remote play feature on ps3
cfw ps3 unlocks remote play for every game, which is bullshit imo
Try it. If you have a CFW PS3 (I don't any more, but I did.) and tell me how that experience is acceptable for a mainstream audience.

Mokubba

Great OT

Just Brilliant

- It did not work good with PSP
- It is passable with Vita/PS3 in home conditions, but nothing to write home about
- OnLive/Gaikai worked fine if you were in good range of it
- WiiU works great with it [480p streaming on 10m distances]
- PS4 Remote Play seems to work fine with Vita/VitaTV [544p/720p], but we need to wait more for detailed test

Wait Wii-U streams to the gamepad at 480p. I thought it was 720p.

DieH@rd

Banned
Wii U GamePad 6.2 inch 854×480 16:9 @ 158 ppi [single touch resistive]
PS Vita 5 inch 960 × 544 16:9 qHD @ 220 ppi [multi touch capacitive]

benny_a

Wait Wii-U streams to the gamepad at 480p. I thought it was 720p.
The WiiU gamepad resolution is 854×480. Would make the most sense to stream it at that resolution because otherwise there would be additional scaling taking place.

I will sell a lot of PS4s and Vita's as work with this feature. The moment someone sees me playing Battlefield 4 on my Vita? Forget about it lol. " dude wth you can play battlefield at work???? How?!!??! "

benny_a

I will sell a lot of PS4s and Vita's as work with this feature. The moment someone sees me playing Battlefield 4 on my Vita? Forget about it lol. " dude wth you can play battlefield at work???? How?!!??! "
Unless you work at home I would relax a bit.

KAL2006

Banned
Sony need to release a Vita XL. That has a 6 inch screen, full clickable analogs, and R2/L2. It should also have a bigger battery due to the larger size as well as being able to use it as a PS4 controller as it will have all the inputs.

I'd buy it in a hearbeat if remote play is good.

Maedhros

Sony need to release a Vita XL. That has a 6 inch screen, full clickable analogs, and R2/L2. It should also have a bigger battery due to the larger size as well as being able to use it as a PS4 controller as it will have all the inputs.

WIll never happen.

DBT85

Or just allow remote play on Tablets paired with a DS4.

DieH@rd

Banned
Or just allow remote play on Tablets paired with a DS4.

PS3 remote play is officially supported on Sony Vaio laptops [edit- i originally wrote tablets :-/].
[i think there is also unofficial way to use it on any Windows PC]

ps3-remote-play-20100618-600.jpg

You can also pair DS3 with those laptops.

Oni Jazar

Do we have confirmation that it is possible to connect PS4 to Vita without a router? Do we have confirmation that this remote play uses Wifi Direct? I need a source.

DieH@rd

Banned
Do we have confirmation that it is possible to connect PS4 to Vita without a router? Do we have confirmation that this remote play uses Wifi Direct? I need a source.

#1 Yes
#2 WiFi Direct is just a marketing term [its not a hardware feature, its software]. PS3 can connect directly to Vita, and then with much lower priority also talk with Internet router [for full internet speed, LAN cable is highly recommended).

For sources... Nobody has PS4 yet, so no sources. Everything we know is from Remote Play that was introduced 6+ years ago on PS3, and Sony did not showed any intention to change its operation. Everything that worked on PS3 is present on PS4, only now it works much better. As for the nature of WiFi Direct, go read first 2-3 pages of this thread, one Gaffer posted info.

Top Bottom