• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese devs (Square/Atlus/etc) discuss their future games for PlayStation 20th [UP]

BadWolf

Poor NIS, releasing same day a Bloodborne won't end well.

Can't freaking wait to hear about Itsuno's new game.

I'd be excited about SE's new game but fuck them after PSX.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Is Kagerou/Deception a bigger series in Japan than I'm aware of, or is it actually weird that Koei's big thing for the 20th anniversary is Deception? I liked the little I played of Deception IV but I didn't think there was a lot of buzz for it.

It's really a niche series right now; last entry sold around 70k units. It was a 150-200k IP on PS1 though.

Bigger on PS1? Makes a lot of sense for a Playstation anniversary sale then.

(I doubt that's more than a happy coincidence though)

I enjoyed the earlier ones and I'll be curious to see what a modern take looks like. Designing trap combos was fun.

wmlk

Excited for whatever Toriyama does next, though. I hope he can overcome whatever stigma is attached to his name.

So many wonderful comments from wonderful devs and then NIS has to go and put a downer on things :( Hope Disgaea 5 sells to their expectations. No, I hope it exceeds their expectations!

Skittles

So many wonderful comments from wonderful devs and then NIS has to go and put a downer on things :( Hope Disgaea 5 sells to their expectations. No, I hope it exceeds their expectations!
Hopefully bloodbourne is popular enough in japan to sell systems. So people holding off there can pick up a couple of titles along with it. Or maybe SCEJ could save them, their budgets on games aren't enormous and their games sell. Wouldn't be the worst investment they could make and they would actually be putting out a title more every 1-2 years.

koutoru

If NIS want to match Disgaea 4 sales on PS3 they'll have to sell around 80,000 in the first week.
For their sake I hope they can make it.

zeromcd73

Almost done!

Fumito Ueda (The Last Guardian dude~):
The Last Guardian has had lots of growing pains, but talks with SCE management have all been cleared and development is currently underway in a different environment (PS4 move most likely). I'm also working on other things.

B.B. Studio (Terada Takanobu):
We are currently developing the Super Robot Z Series Final Chapter and the Third Dimension Z Heaven Chapter.

SCEJ (Keiichiro Toyama):
This is from the Gravity Rush team that hasn't released any information in a long time, but the game is progressing well. All the time it's taking just means the game we are making is going to be amazing, so please look forward to it.

Skittles

If NIS want to match Disgaea 4 sales on PS3 they'll have to sell around 80,000 in the first week.
For their sake I hope they can make it.
How much did Disgaea 4 sell in the U.S.?

If NIS goes down, would NISA go down with it? Because that would be doubly awful

Seems like TLG is a reality. And giving Toriyama a "brand new title" is the best way to keep him, just take him away from FF.

And god, I'm getting depressed with NIS... I hope Disgaea 5 succeeds... Or at least someone buys them (sega, sony, nintendo, microsoft, whoever wants to).

I don't want to lose NIS >.>

FluxWaveZ

If NIS goes down, would NISA go down with it? Because that would be doubly awful

No more Danganronpa localizations.

I'm sure if their potential trouble gets to a certain point, someone would acquire them... Or their IP would explode in separate ways with various companies acquiring individual ones.

koutoru

How much did Disgaea 4 sell in the U.S.?

Not sure how much it sold in the US. However NISA is a owned subsidiary of Nippon Ichi Software.

So unfortunately, I see that as a likely possibility.

Busaiku

If NISA is gone.. No more Danganronpa in the west. No more Disgaea. No more anything niche and unique!!

Disgaea's gone cause that's a Nippon Ichi title, but Danganronpa is not, so that'd continue if someone felt like doing it.
It will of course continue in Japan.

zeromcd73

Last stuff for people who don't want to re read the OP:

Atlus (Shoji Meguro):
We have some other unannounced games that aren't Persona 5.

Atlus (Kazuhisa Wada):
We've added a big new artist for Persona 4 Dancing

Spike-Chunsoft (Kodaka Kazutaka):
I'm currently working on a title that will be a huge surprise.

Spike-Chunsoft (Yoshinori Terasawa):
We are currently making proper preparations for the new Danganronpa title.

EMT0

Banned
Atlus (Shoji Meguro):
We have some other announced games that aren't Persona 5.

If I'm reading that correctly, he's trying to get us to look at their other games that aren't Persona 5, not telling us that there are more games, lol.

zeromcd73

Atlus (Shoji Meguro):

If I'm reading that correctly, he's trying to get us to look at their other games that aren't Persona 5, not telling us that there are more games, lol.
I screwed the translation up. It should have been "unannounced."

Thank you and fixed!

Skittles

Not sure how much it sold in the US. However NISA is a owned subsidiary of Nippon Ichi Software.

So unfortunately, I see that as a likely possibility.
Noooooo :(. Only companies I could see buying NIS is sega, sony, or atlus and those are big ifs. Wonder if tweeting the third party relations or yosp would do anything?

NIS really needs to move that release day. Like bad. Disgaea's fan base is already not huge coupled with it overlapping into the Souls games... some fights cannot be won. I'm sure it will be received fine but as long as they are not banking the company future on release week... or month maybe it could be ok.

NEW DANGANRONPA AND SURPRISING TITLE FROM KODAKA? LET'S GET HYPED!

HzI608O.gif

jwk94

This is from the Gravity Rush team that hasn't released any information in a long time, but the game is progressing well. All the time it's taking just means the game we are making is going to be amazing, so please look forward to it.

My girl is still alive!

Clov

If NISA is gone.. No more Danganronpa in the west. No more Disgaea. No more anything niche and unique!!

That's quite the hyperbole. If NISA were to theoretically go down with the ship, you'd still have localization companies like Aksys and Xseed around. Given how popular Danganronpa has been in the west, future games would surely be picked up by another localization company.

Look at Deadly Premonition for example; despite Ignition Entertainment fading off into nothingness, Rising Star Games went and picked up the rights to publish the Director's Cut on PS3 and PC. Or, for a more NISA-centric example, look at Neptunia. NISA published four games in the series, and then Idea Factory established a Western branch and began to publish them themselves. A similar thing happened with the Atelier games after Gust was bought by Tecmo-Koei. Franchises can switch localization companies/publishers no problem.

Honestly though, I would miss them. Here's hoping for the best.

jzbluz

Wow, I kinda remember NIS hemorrhaging talent but I didn't know they were so bad off. I'm not that big of a fan on their games, except for maybe their otomes (and I'm not sure what's the deal with those or if they actually develop them), but I don't want them gone.

mdubs

Banned

Nah there's gotta be pretty much a 100% chance DanganRonpa would get picked up by Atlus or Aksys considering the relationships they have with Spike Chunsoft as well as the quality and popularity of the IP

Top Bottom