• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pick Your Poison: $70-80 games, Loot Box+DLC, or Worse Graphics/Polish/Smaller Scale

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I've been saying 70-80 all decade. Unfortunately for me, I'm outnumbered.

There's also the issue with what that means for other countries than mine where the prices are already insane.

Ascenion

Option A. $70-80 titles. Gaming is a luxury hobby it requires money, if you can’t afford it you simply don’t play. I expected games to be $70 this gen anyway.

Dremorak

Banned
At the very least I really hope its not increasing prices, outside of the US game prices are really inflated, most new releases here already cost the equivalent of 80 usd.

''Worse Graphics/Polish/Smaller Scale'' is everything but poison.

I wish people more people would embrace games with these traits but I guess many players won't be enamored with anything other than technicallly/graphically grandiose games.

-Horizon-

Option 3. I don't really go into games expecting something to look like a cg movie. Its nice if it looks good but its not what I play games for.
I played a few wii games recently and still think they look good enough.
I say scale it back.

Nocturno999

There's a fuckton of great games with none of that.

You don't have to "pick a poison". Maybe not falling into the AAA hype should be the only one.

Snoopycat

Banned
How about publishers/developers make games that are actually worth $60 first. Most AAA games that have come out this year have been insipid, worthless, uninspiring, rehashed, money grabbing garbage. I wouldn't give Activision, EA or Ubisoft more than £10 for the majority of the lazy shit they pump out.

nynt9

Boycott game at full price.

And boycott trash game with no content like Destiny 2...

WTF is this even. "Trash game with no content"? Even if you somehow blatantly ignore all the non-main quests, there's still a pretty cool main quest in the game (especially later missions) and the raid is, while not as good as TTK, still pretty cool.

jaybe00

Neo Member
First preference would be $60 great single player content game, followed by $30-$40 substantive content DLC hopefully reusing assets. Uncharted 4 / lost legacy, Horizon / frozen wilds, witcher 3 and its expansions.

Next would be $20 - $40 games like Ori, the Witness, and Ratchet and Clank.

I'd wish games like Halo and Gears would just reuse the bulk of their assets and game play and drop a nice single player expansion for 30 to 40 and build out their multiplayer modes keeping the player base intact, than drop a whole brand new game.

Also, I despise loot boxes, so would rather they die. They are a boring game mechanic that takes time away from playing. Having to open crates and screw around with scrap, is a chore in Gears 4.

TheExodu5

Banned
Pretty much all games in Canada have gone up to $80. I've pretty much stopped buying new games at this point.

This year, I will have bought P5, BOTW, MK, and MO at full price.

I used to buy one or more full priced games per month when they were $60 CAD. I've now shifted to buying mostly indie games.

I have no problem with 80 dollar games, and loot boxes+DLC

The only thing with loot boxes is I wish you could loot players that have bought loot boxes for their gear.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I'll have to double check but the only game I bought in the last 12 months that truly counted as this type of AAA cancer is Final Fantasy XV. The next closest game would be The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild...but even then...the budget for that game is probably below average for a true AAA title.

So based on my preferences the types of games that cater to this type of crap can disappear for all I care since I don't buy them.

$60 game that feels like a 100% complete fully satisfying 40+ hours game, then sell DLC later for those that love it so much they want more, or better yet, a $60 sequel.

I mean, isn't this what sequels have always been about? You make a game, you get $60, you take 2 years to develop a sequel, you get $60 again. Plenty of games still follow this in 2017, so I frankly reject "$80, loot boxes, or worse games" as answering the question would be to give it dignity it doesn't deserve.

The point is, games are getting a lot more expensive to make and "just charge $60" isn't really working for devs and publishers anymore.

randomscribbles

Neo Member
Smaller scale 100% of the time for me. The side effect of a smaller scale is more freedom to take risks, which leads to more memorable games, even if they aren't all complete successes.

Afrodium

Banned
Option D: Support good games without malicious business practices, largely indies, and buy today's over hyped AAA game for half price in 6 months.

Or even wait a few years and get it for like $5 in a sale. It's not going anywhere.

Option D: Support good games without malicious business practices, largely indies, and buy today's over hyped AAA game for half Price in 6 months.

Or even wait a few years and get it for like $5 in a sale. It's not going anywhere.

6 months? Nowadays it's like 2-3.

Apathy

I already pay $79 cad for a game. Depending on our exchange rate a $70-$80 USD game is going to cost me over $100 cad. Not happening. I'll take loot crates any day of the year to not have my games cost $100 base again. Sorry if people don't like them, don't play those games or let's start having some self control about purchasing crates.

mazillion

Jim Sterling had a point about this. "AAA" games haven't been $60 for a while now. $60 gets you the base game, the lowest tier, if you want the full game with all the content you need to pay $100+. The only difference is that the content is rolled out over time instead of all up front.

3. But I think the main problem is the lack of creativity in the industry. Graphics wouldn't be so important if games were fun or the story captivating. I've had my best year ever with games, but it baffles me how much big budget crap gets released.

Pizza

Give me a really refined low poly artstyle any day. You don’t need something to be photorealistic to look sick! Content over “””next gen””” graphics any day for me

I’d also honestly choose loot boxes over splitting a playerbase any day of the week. I fucking hated how many games I dropped last gen because I didn’t want to buy dlc for five different games just to keep up. Now I CAN buy dlc IF I feel like it.

Some people have tendencies to fall into loot box pits. I’m one of them. I was doing that on maplestory before it was cool. Excersize some self control and limit how many games you’ll pour extra money into. I’ll pick up the occasional box or two on something I’m playing super regularly, but I also try and limit how many games with that sort of pricing model I’m playing.

I pick up any sick small game I want. Less than $30 is generally a nobrainer for me, especially if it’s a cool unique game from a small studio!

Once we get to $40+ games I try and take a minute to consider my purchase. Do I need it NOW? Is this the sort of game that’ll get another $100 of dlc that I can get all at once for $20 a year and a half from now? Will this game force me to buy dlc to keep playing online? Is meaningful content locked behind regular paywalls?

Those games I try to only buy one a year. This year it’s battlefront 2.

Between indies and retro games I don’t feel like I miss out on not getting every single AAA game at launch. I want Injustice 2. Not $100 want, though. If I still want it in a year, it’ll be there.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
$50 games max, no paid loot boxes, no season passes, microtransactions, etc. Those are my stipulations.

I am old school. With Best Buy GCU I will always pay less but still, the industry can crash under their own greed before i pay nearly $100 for a game. And i grew up in the cart era.

The indies and small devs can inherit it all.

How about AAA devs stop chasing 4K, don't make expansive games with MMO quest filler, and make each entry a self-contained story that isn't sequel bait? Oh, and stop chasing the latest trends in bad MP design? Not every game needs MP.

Money saved.

ozprime

C- scale back.

...otherwise I pick D- keep my money and walk away from gaming. I have enough of a backlog to keep me entertained for a long time.

Option A. $70-80 titles. Gaming is a luxury hobby it requires money, if you can’t afford it you simply don’t play. I expected games to be $70 this gen anyway.

When the games sell less because more people can't afford the sheer number of games most companies will have the same problem. If they could charge more they would probably do it.

Late Flag

I would seriously pay $80 for either a Demons Souls or Dark Souls remaster. Give me a good AAA game at that price point and I'm good.

Worse graphics/polish/smaller scale? Devs can't even do shit with all that money, AAA games aren't even fun. When freaking early 3D games with much smaller worlds handle level design better you know something's up. Nowadays they think you can just slap in open worlds, press a for awesome and shoehorned rpg elements to make a game enjoyable

Izuna

Banned
Haha, what a bizarre question. Since when was this a requirement for polished games?

But I would gladly take lower budget games over all that crap if those were the options. At least, games are too long these days anyway.

I'd much rather pay $50 for a 15-20hr game with less polish than ridiculous prices for games that "have to sell 5+mil in order to not be a flop". It'd let smaller dev teams in large companies experiment a bit more too.

Publishers would not abandon the other revenue streams, even if they managed to get the base price up, unfortunately.

That considered, I'd go with option 3. As it is I love the indie market that has emerged since the death of AA publishing.

This. Do you really think if $80 became standard they wouldn't also try to get some loot box income?

the1npc

Pretty much all games in Canada have gone up to $80. I've pretty much stopped buying new games at this point.

I used to buy one or more full priced games per month when they were $60 CAD. I've now shifted to buying mostly indie games.

Yep. Around $90 with tax. And then theres season passes, dlc, etc

Third option, move AAA development out of North America and especially from the Bay Area/Seattle/NYC/Toronto/Vancouver. $150,000 salaries + benefits is completely unsustainable and it's bloating budgets to the point where it's obscene.

Something has gotta give and it certainly won't be me if they're expecting a $60 purchase along with microtransactions.

Ploid 3.0

Worse graphics and smaller scale, easily. The industry fucked itself by pushing the pretties for decades. Now they are suffering for teaching people to chase that dragon.

Yep, I wish FF7 looked like The World of Final Fantasy, or The Tales games, they really screwed themselves with trying to be on the bleeding edge, and now we got FF7 Remake in pieces. It ruined the game for me, I hope it's good but I doubt it will turn out ok. The kids of 2039 will have quite the Remaster Collection to play through hopefully.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Jim Sterling had a point about this. "AAA" games haven't been $60 for a while now. $60 gets you the base game, the lowest tier, if you want the full game with all the content you need to pay $100+. The only difference is that the content is rolled out over time instead of all up front.

Trouble is that if the "base" game justifies the price-tag, the whole argument collapses. In many cases it seems to me not about what some folks are getting for their money, but a perception that they should be entitled to all the extra bells and whistles on principle.

Its a position I don't feel that stands up under scrutiny because, of course, getting more for the same money would be good for any product or service in existence. But that doesn't mean that everything is a rip-off!

It drives me crazy that an add-on that's available at day #1 is somehow assumed to be of less material worth than one released several months on from launch. As if somehow you are paying for the developers time, and if the work was done in tandem with the primary/parent offering there's an absolute case that it should have been folded in. Its nonsensical.

Anth0ny

yup. but it's all based on games being $60 in the US, and I do believe that within the next two years, or at the latest when PS5 launches, games will go up another $10.

Visuals don’t impress me much anymore and I can go for some smaller scale stuff. The AAAmarket is filled with cutting edge, bigger better attitude. If the whole industry diverged from that maybe we wouldn’t see so much bullshit.

Top Bottom