• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth |OT| Unleash the Beast!

Actually in a recent interview, the series director said that they're planning one final Etrian Odyssey game as a culmination for the series on 3DS. It'll probably a remake of EO3 since that's the only one that hasn't been remade that wasn't a 3DS game to begin with, although it could always be something brand new like EO6 or another spin-off.

God, I hope it is a EO3 remake since I never bought it.

Really looking forward to playing. Probably won't be getting it for a while, since I'm currently in Europe and my 3DS is NA.

Probably gonna go with:

Pugilist/Masurao
Dragoon/Warlock/Botanist

which I guess is a bit on the generic side. I'm also considering a link party, maybe something like

Fencer/Fencer
Dragoon/Rover/X

Guns count as stab attacks, right?

omlet

Ahem, Dragoons are supposed to go front or back row?

Either, to be honest. Since they use guns they do full damage from either row with normal attacks. In the back row they will take reduced damage from melee hits and can still line guard either line, so the back row is a good row to default to. However, against certain enemies that will do cleave/splash damage attacks, if your squishy characters are adjacent to the dragoon and the dragoon is using the skill to draw attacks to them, you might want to move them up front so that the characters who get hit with splash damage are your other front line people who are probably better armored.

Gun spec dragoon will prefer front row by default later in the game similar to the Arbelist of EOIII because Buster Cannon gets a better bonus damage multiplier when used in front row vs enemy front row.

Don't forget that changing formation during battle does not take up your turn. You should definitely be considering this for buffing/healing and for adjusting to groups of enemies.

Nope, they're Bash in this game. It's noticeably harder to go nuts with Links this time.

Boo.
Well, their gun skills are bash so I guess I should've known better.
Seems like it's just generally harder to pull off crazy combos in this one because all the classes are kinda too... specialized, I guess?

Zweizer

Banned
Boo.
Well, their gun skills are bash so I guess I should've known better.
Seems like it's just generally harder to pull off crazy combos in this one because all the classes are kinda too... specialized, I guess?

You can say Atlus was committed in bringing back the series to its roots with this game, lol. Then again, with how degenerate Links could become in III, IV and U2, it's understandable.

aett

Man i will miss the overworld map in IV, i wasn't that big of a fan of the spin offs, but i do love the main series.

I've been on the fence with this one. IV was probably my favorite in the series but the remakes really didn't do anything for me at all.

vall03

Game is available on the eShop now. Currently downloading and will probably be able to play it during my break. A bit disappointed that I was only able to farm 14k en from the demo though, was hoping to reach 30k lol.

Downloading now!

It's bittersweet in a way, since this will (probably?) be my last 3DS game. Thanks for your service, eShop, it's been fun.

Aeana

Downloading now!

It's bittersweet in a way, since this will (probably?) be my last 3DS game. Thanks for your service, eShop, it's been fun.

Seems like they're probably making at least one more EO game for 3DS.
Plus Strange Journey and Radiant Historia remakes... maybe an English release of DQ11 3DS (unlikely, but possible)?

aett

Does anyone know what is an average level to reach by the end of the game? I'm bored at work and checking out the skill simulator.

Seems like they're probably making at least one more EO game for 3DS.
Plus Strange Journey and Radiant Historia remakes... maybe an English release of DQ11 3DS (unlikely, but possible)?
Ah, you're right! I'm not 100% sure if I'll get those games, but I'm definitely interested in them. 3DS continues to deliver beyond my expectations.

The digital release in Europe is today (same as the US releases), so if you don't mind owning digital products you can own the game at the same time as our American brothers and sisters.
It's tempting, but I think I will wait for the physical release. I like my games boxed when possible, so I would probably just regret buying the digital release in the long run.

No overworld? I really liked that in 4.

I’ve played IV and 1U. A bit tempted to jump back in. I felt burned out after 1U, is this a good one to get in on?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Woo, the timing of this is almost perfect. Boredom during my flights to south america next month: solved.

I hadn't been following this at all but I like what I see in the class breakdown in the op. Summoning bunkers sounds sweet.

aett

Thinking of trying out one of these two teams.

Chaining:
Fencer/Dragoon
Warlock (with Stab skill)/Rover/Botanist

Ailments (and associated extra damage):
Fencer/Harbinger
Botanist/Shaman
Necromancer (whichever row they go in)

Masurao 
Pugilist
Warlock

Shaman
Botanist

That's my party at the moment. Level 31 and I'm on the 12th floor. So far so good.

2nd boss almost ALMOST made me switch my Warlock to a tank but stubbornness paid off, lol.

Can't want for work to end so I can jump back in.

Enjoy the game, everyone!

Derkon

Haven't started yet but thinking of going with:

Cannon Dragoon/Barrage Pug/Master Masurao
Omni Warlock/Herald Shaman

Mostly worrying about healing, may swap out the shaman for a botanist(or at lest level one on the side).

omlet

I'm gonna try

Fencer/Masurao
Botanist/Warlock/Rover

I'm just worried about the Fencer not being a strong enough tank.

Yeah, the same reservations held me back from trying fencer tank in the demo. However, early game enemies don't hit terribly hard (aside from FOEs) so even if you're not able to evade reliably you should be able to still survive. Rover pets will also occasionally be targeted by enemy attacks so that will help reduce the damage on your main party somewhat. I want to try an evade tank fencer but I like dragoon's design too much to not just use a dragon tank lol...

Haven't started yet but thinking of going with:

Cannon Dragoon/Barrage Pug/Master Masurao
Omni Warlock/Herald Shaman

Mostly worrying about healing, may swap out the shaman for a botanist(or at lest level one on the side).

I ran a similar party in the demo (except a Chain Fencer instead of a Pugilist) and as long as you're throwing out bunkers, the shaman will be able to keep up with healing in the early game, but won't be able to res (without item) if someone gets KO'd. Boss fights may be a bit trickier, but you'll have Bind options to perhaps disable the worst of what they might throw at you.

Aeana

As cool as it is, isn't selling the chiptune OST as DLC really shady?

It wouldn't be available if they didn't sell it. They clearly don't see it as a value and thus didn't budget it into the core release. We didn't have FM audio in EO4, and the post-release CD that was supposed to at least have FM tracks was even canceled. If paying for it is the only way to get it in-game, I'm fine with it. But they should at least sell it on day 1.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It wouldn't be available if they didn't sell it. They clearly don't see it as a value and thus didn't budget it into the core release. We didn't have FM audio in EO4, and the post-release CD that was supposed to at least have FM tracks was even canceled. If paying for it is the only way to get it in-game, I'm fine with it. But they should at least sell it on day 1.
It's also no longer a 50 dollar game like EOU2 so even with this DLC it's cheaper than that title.

omlet

Yeah, one of my first thoughts was that they may be using how well that DLC does to judge if there's still enough of an audience for that music. There was grumbling when EOIV left out that soundtrack option, so I guess they are saying here's a chance to prove you care. Not sure how well this DLC did in Japan. Maybe if it does well enough they'll bake FM synth into future games from the outset
or just offer it as DLC again, ho ho ho.

Rutger

Banned
Looking things over, I think I want to try this

Pugilist-Barrage Brawler / Masurao-Blade Master
Celestrian-Botanist-Graced Poisoner / Shaman-Divine Herald / Rover-Flying Falcon

I've played with a dedicated tank in every game except EOIII, and I want to try without one again. Hopefully I have more than enough to make up for it with three classes with some kind of healing and the pets as possible decoys. I'll also have all ailments and binds and hopefully plenty of damage.

Immobilizing and high offense is the plan. I'm not too worried about being able to make it through the main game, but it will be cool to see if I can take this party through the postgame. This should be a fun change of pace.

omlet

Skill trees seem very small this time, I assume once you pick a class archetype they expand quite a bit?

Yeah, check the skill simulator linked in the OP. There are 4 groupings of skills per class but you only start out seeing the first two.

scy

Going through skill sims, debated a triple Necro thing to abuse stuff ala Revenge Hexer or WM-esque Masurao but I'll worry about that for post-game, probably?

Think I'll go fairly generic for the first run with Fencer - Pugilist - Harbinger / Necro - Shaman. Just cover all the bases initially and go from there. Plus, I've always been a sucker for chases and debuffs.

Hey, long time no see scy! Do give us a sout in either the Manga or EO Community threads sometime!

Some day I'll remember to swing by MangaGAF again; I haven't been posting much in general at all.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Every time I look to build an EO party I think maybe I'll skip binds this time and then I look at the skill trees and whatever the binding class is is the first thing to go into my party.

Think I might try:
Dragoon, Pugilist, Fencer
Rover, Warlock

Hoping Rover+Doggy is enough healing alongside Dragoon tanking. Formation feels flexible as the dragoon can move rows freely. Rover/Warlock can trigger Fencer chaining. Looks like dragoon can also trigger chains with counter guard.

Annoying Therians can't start as a Fencer. All the others seem to match up how I would want them. I guess I'll start them as a Masu and then swap. Chaining usually isn't that great early anyway.

omlet

Day one patch applied to OT. Not that anyone really reads OTs anyway :^)

This day at work needs to end so I can go home and get going on exploring!

zashga

Right now I'm thinking:

Dragoon / Pugilist
Warlock / Rover (hound) / Botanist

Seems a little vanilla. I'm kind of interested in using a Necromancer to tank, but I'm not a fan of their aesthetic.

Actually in a recent interview, the series director said that they're planning one final Etrian Odyssey game as a culmination for the series on 3DS. It'll probably a remake of EO3 since that's the only one that hasn't been remade that wasn't a 3DS game to begin with, although it could always be something brand new like EO6 or another spin-off.

That's cool; I always kind of expected them to make Untold 3 at some point. I'll still be sad if the series actually ends, but it's had a pretty good run.

Top Bottom