• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA shuts down Visceral, moves Star Wars game to EA Vancouver/others

Justified

Where are we going Papa EA

Image needs an update I suppose

EMVlJLm.jpg

Zedark

Damn. What about the Star Wars project? What an out-of-the-blue announcement.

Best of luck to all devs involved, hope you find a new gig asap!

ekgrey

Just saw this on Jason's Twitter. Nooooooooo!

WTF EA? Who's taking over Star Wars? Was theirs the one with Jade Raymond or Amy Hennig?

DeviantBoi

ViciousDS

Banned
OMG

WHERE IS MY HENNIG STAR WARS YOU MOTHER FUCKERS!!!!

GOD DAMN IT EA!

its being moved to another studio with hopefully the same people writing and leading it

DKHF

The Star Wars game lives somewhat:

The Star Wars game in development at Visceral will be revamped and move to a different studio.

“Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe,” EA’s Patrick Söderlund said. “In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design. We will maintain the stunning visuals, authenticity in the Star Wars universe, and focus on bringing a Star Wars story to life. Importantly, we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of our Frostbite engine and reimagining central elements of the game to give players a Star Wars adventure of greater depth and breadth to explore.”

Wow, this is terrible. I'm sorry for everyone at Visceral! On a much more egotistical note, what happens now to Amy Hennig's project?

2161667-zFrTB.jpg

Also, the story based game is probably going to become a GaaS with DLC packs finishing out the story and loot boxes galore right?

Some Nobody

I don't give a shit about Battlefront 2, so I guess it's fuck Star Wars games then.

Edit: Wait, revamped? If this shit turns into some GaaS/lootbox Destiny bullshit I'm gonna be hella salty.

Also, this is a damn shame about Visceral. >_< They had to be employing a bunch of people--hopefully all of them can land on their feet. :(

daveo42

Banned
Holy shit. Haven't they been working on that Amy Hennig Star Wars game for years now? Jesus EA. What the hell happened?
Edit: There goes any hope of a resurrected Dead Space game.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just a reminder to everyone that Visceral put out Dead Space less than a decade ago, one of the best survival horror games ever.

strafer

I guess that's the final nail for Dead Space 4.

Sigh.

Guess I have to write my own DS4 game.

This is fucking horrendeus news.

Ducktail

This needs updating. Again.

Thanks, I was expecting it.

What about Amy and Star Wars? This is insane! Guess they must have had development problems.

Edit: Clearly I can't read. Apparently they understand the game would bomb hard as a strict single player experience. What about Amy, though?

PantsuJo

Fucking EA, I hate you.

I hope every new game you make bomb hard, so hard that failures will remain in history.

Starting with the shitty upcoming NFS: I hope it sells even less than MvC Infinite.

(Sorry for the rant)

Andodalf

Banned
Yes, I’m sure an amazing guaranteed 10/10 Star Wars game was coming next year only to be canceled today! It’s been a hot minute since these guys put out a quality game. They just not have been on track with Star Wars, and gotten the boot as such.

Top Bottom