• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

ToxicAdam

I didn't realise there was a cap on powers for certain characters.

I maxed out the Ultra Freon Beam for my Iron Man and now I can't max out the Armoured Assault or the Repulsor Blast. For my Storm, I maxed out the red ability (Mistress of the Elements?) so now I can't max out the black ability (Hailstorm?).

Bahhh! This sucks. I wish there was a way to downgrade power levels so that I could upgrade those other skills instead.

Yea, the preferred leveling scheme is 5/5/3, you just pick the most useful two you use to get to level 5.

I've been throwing away green Thor covers because I have him at 4/3/3 right now,

Askani

So i'm having issues with this latest event, Thor never seems to have a default attack tile even though his damage far exceeds the rest of the team.

Anyone else having the same issue?

Are you selecting your Thor and not the level 6? The trio will default to the basic Thor they give you. I just did that in a battle. Makes me feel like a dummy when I do. Almost as bad as when I forget there's a white storm on the other team and I forget to switch the order for attacks. :/

Well, missed out on Model 40. Now, everyone and their mom has him in the Thor tourney.

Might as well hit the SP part again.

Even if you got him you'd likely just sit on him until upgrade covers became plentiful. I'm up to 19 different covers and only 6-7 of them are useful.

Askani

What is Thor cap and setup people are going with? I'm 4R/4Y/3G right now and just got another green cover, but I'm thinking I want to go 5R/5Y/3G. Do the two stars cap at the same amount the one stars do?

ToxicAdam

. Do the two stars cap at the same amount the one stars do?

Yes. All heros can only have 13 covers.

For Thor, it seems the only no-brainer is that his Red be at 5, since it will reduce the AP cost to 6. I haven't really seen a convincing argument that having the yellow at level 5 is that great.

Are you selecting your Thor and not the level 6? The trio will default to the basic Thor they give you. I just did that in a battle. Makes me feel like a dummy when I do. Almost as bad as when I forget there's a white storm on the other team and I forget to switch the order for attacks. :/

Yeah definitely selecting my Thor, for example I just had a Team of Iron Man(model 35) Thor and Classic Storm, Red and Yellow tiles were assigned to Iron Man as default. Red tile was 18 damage, I kept playing until Black Widow stunned me then I check the damage on the Red tile which has now been assigned to Thor and the dame is 26!

I forgot to check the yellow tile, i'm guessing it's based on level as Iron man is 29 and Thor is 14.

I also get a similar result if I swap Iron Man out for Hawkeye.

Askani

Yes. All heros can only have 13 covers.

For Thor, it seems the only no-brainer is that his Red be at 5, since it will reduce the AP cost to 6. I haven't really seen a convincing argument that having the yellow at level 5 is that great.

The green "aoe" is nice but I really like the F-you amount of damage the yellow gives. There's probably not enough difference to matter with the AP cost since each one generates available match tiles for the next level though.

Got a pretty beast Thor so maybe that's why I haven't been getting like -40 beaten every half hour in this tourney, but it's early yet. Already hit 375.

Keits

Developer
They made a change, or caused a bug, with the last update.

Before the last update, a hero recieving a percentage bonus in an event worked exactly as you'd expect. After the change, even if your hero's RED attack is, say, 60 (after a 200% bonus), if your Iron Man's RED hits for 33 (which is higher than your default 30 before bonus), the RED tiles will be his.

This makes the percentage bonuses a LOT worse than they were, as you will only get the bonus from those tiles if the character owns the color.

You do, however, still get a bonus to your action skills.

Triz

I purposely placed in the 11-25 range of the last tourney to get an upgrade on the black widow I already had. Didnt want to place higher to get the same powerup boost, and knew placing 1 or 2 was nearly impossible for the sniper ability. I wonder if that is going to come into play more during the tourneys. sitting at #4 right now in the thor tourney. Having a level 55 Thor is really helping right now.

I earned 4 tokens from the Thor tournament:

Modern Storm, Modern Storm, Classic Storm and Bagman.

::cries::

Hey, at least you got a Classic Storm!

I've been jonesing to get more than the three I've got for her. Whenever I face a well-leveled Classic Storm I get decimated if I mistakenly target the wrong character.

Hey, at least you got a Classic Storm!

I've been jonesing to get more than the three I've got for her. Whenever I face a well-leveled Classic Storm I get decimated if I mistakenly target the wrong character.

Yeah, I'm dyin for some more Classic Storm chits. Hopefully I can claw my way to Thunder chits...

yamo

I got Classic Storm up to 3 green, 1 blue and 1 yellow. I got another green in the stash but i'm hesitant to level any more green as the blue and yellow power seem alot better and I want to max them out.

Anyone got her up to a higher level and want to share some thoughts? Should I sell the green and save for blue and yellow?

Limit

So I gave in and bought 20 bucks worth of gold coins after getting a classic magneto and having no room to store it. Feel kind of dirty especially considering I was only able to unlock 10 more slots. I was expecting more like 25. I still have 1000 sitting around that will only unlock 4 more slots. Keeping this 1000 around in case a super awesome guaranteed card drop shows up behind coin cover drop machine.

I got Classic Storm up to 3 green, 1 blue and 1 yellow. I got another green in the stash but i'm hesitant to level any more green as the blue and yellow power seem alot better and I want to max them out.

Anyone got her up to a higher level and want to share some thoughts? Should I sell the green and save for blue and yellow?

I've got 3g, 1b, 2y. The second yellow gives her an extra hundred damage on it. That one is a life saver, though, if you get hurt bad by the opposition. I keep her around just for that power, and do my main damage with my high level Thor.

Anyone know what the rubric is for deciding how many points to give for winning a tournament match? I'd love to be able to game the system beyond just skipping matches until i find one I can win easily that gives me 20+ points.

KuroNeeko

I just started today and am enjoying it though I don't have much of an idea of what I'm doing.

I like Black Widow and Storm because they're hot. Does that make me a bad person?

gabbre

I just started today and am enjoying it though I don't have much of an idea of what I'm doing.

I like Black Widow and Storm because they're hot. Does that make me a bad person?
Yes,
Moonstone is better
I really hate how the game automatically select the weaker Thor in the selection screen

ToxicAdam

Wait until you get Yelena Belova. nnnggg

Daily Drop: Classic Storm
500 Tourney Prize: Classic Storm

Good morning.

I'm only three days from getting a heroic token on my daily. Can't wait for to pull another Bag man.

ToxicAdam

I learned a new trick today. If you use your 'second string team' to beat an opponent, but don't want that to be the representative for your account the rest of the day. You can enter a battle with your injured 'first-string' heros and just concede the battle. They will then be your representative in battles (with full health, of course).

ToxicAdam

This is what daily rewards people have compiled so far.

1 Random (250 Iso-8, 50HP, Standard Token or 3 Health Packs)
2 Black Widow (Modern) - Blue
3 Recruit Token - Heroic
5 Iron Man (Model 35) - Blue
7 Storm (Modern) - Green
12 Thor (Marvel NOW!) - Red
15 Venom (Dark Avengers Spider-Man) - Black
16 Random (250 Iso-8, 50HP, Standard Token or 3 Health Packs)
17 Recruit Token - Heroic
18 Random (250 Iso-8, 50HP, Standard Token or 3 Health Packs)
19 Random (250 Iso-8, 50HP, Standard Token or 3 Health Packs)
20 Random (250 Iso-8, 50HP, Standard Token or 3 Health Packs)
21 Random (250 Iso-8, 50HP, Standard Token or 3 Health Packs)
24 Recruit Token - Heroic
30 Daken (Dark Avengers Wolverine) - Purple

So, most days you are getting a randomized reward, which is why it can differ between all of us. Most days I have been getting 250 ISO. Some have reported getting a 500 ISO as a random drop, but it hasn't been confirmed yet.

This is what daily rewards people have compiled so far.

So, most days you are getting a randomized reward, which is why it can differ between all of us. Most days I have been getting 250 ISO. Some have reported getting a 500 ISO as a random drop, but it hasn't been confirmed yet.

And then it restarts after 30?

Lost 350 in the Iron Man tourney overnight :/

Wow.

I might have to revise my theory about getting into tourneys early. I hopped into this one immediately and haven't lost more than 10-20 any day.

Maybe because my Thor is level 33 and I always use him?

The game puts you in PvP as your last used team, right?

Wow.

I might have to revise my theory about getting into tourneys early. I hopped into this one immediately and haven't lost more than 10-20 any day.

Ugh. I just lost another 19 and gained 10 back since turning my phone off 10 minutes ago.

I got up to 786 this afternoon and have been steadily bumped back down below 750.

I need that yellow Thor!

Wow.

Maybe because my Thor is level 33 and I always use him?

The game puts you in PvP as your last used team, right?
I got up to #1 at 1000+ last night, so I knew I was due for a hard drop. It's just frustrating knowing that the only way you're going to get the really high bonuses is if you have/buy a million health packs and play for hours on end without stopping.

So now there's not really any reason for me to play the game until close to the deadline which is in 4 days. They need to get some lightning tourneys going.

ToxicAdam

I'm in the same boat as you Mike. I might just grind ISO from lowbies in the Shield tournament. I still need to max level my Classic Storm and Thor.

Askani

I really want to get that 800 level reward at least for the Iron Man tourney. Right now though it's all I can do to maintain 600 and I broke 700 only once. Kinda feels like 800-900 will always be the soft cap for these.

I really want to get that 800 level reward at least for the Iron Man tourney. Right now though it's all I can do to maintain 600 and I broke 700 only once. Kinda feels like 800-900 will always be the soft cap for these.

I made 800 this evening. Leveled my Thor and returned to the tourney to find I had lost 60. That is in less than one minute.

Limit

Yeah the strategy of joining the tourney too early isn't working well for me either. For every 50 point gain I keep losing 70 - 100.

How do I determine which character attacks with what color? I'm trying the Thor tournament, and even though Thor has the highest attack power with yellow, for some reason Hawkeye is being assigned to attack with yellow matches. Is there a way to change this? It's really messing me up.

Edit: It seems this was discussed earlier in the topic.

Uthred

How do I determine which character attacks with what color? I'm trying the Thor tournament, and even though Thor has the highest attack power with yellow, for some reason Hawkeye is being assigned to attack with yellow matches. Is there a way to change this? It's really messing me up.

Edit: It seems this was discussed earlier in the topic.

From what I can gather it seems to be based on the characters unmodified attack for that colour, because it certainly doesnt take into account the bonus for tournaments.

KuroNeeko

Scooped up Hawkeye Modern in my free Heroic pull today (daily login).

Looking at his skills, I can't see him being very good in PvP. Maybe he's a PvE hero? What the heck good is avoid, anyway?

Uthred

Is there any kind of "tier" list or any characters in particular one should aim towards? The basic ironman seems pretty good, though basic Storm and Hawkeye feel a bit underwhelming

ToxicAdam

When evaluating characters, it's important to consider what they will be when they are maxed out. Modern Storm actually becomes relatively lethal when she is level 40, with 5 covers of her Red and Green abilities. She can do some damage and act as an AP battery feeding AP for other characters.

Any character that can inflict damage and return AP (for a low AP cost) is valuable to have.

Storm (Modern) (maxed)

Lightning Strike - Green
Level 5 shatter 16 tiles and you keep the AP for each

Mistress of the Elements - Red
Damage:34 per Tile (Skill Level 3)

Hailstorm - Black
Strength of Attack Tiles:7 per Tile

Colour Damage: 7/27/7/31/8/24

Hit Points: 1620

if I had to tier them out, I would do it like this:

Black Widow (her stun is probably the best ability of any 1-2 star character)
///
Modern Storm
Iron Man
Juggernaut
///
Venom
Hawkeye (Don't throw him away, but realize his only purpose is to break countdown tiles)
Yelena

Uthred

Is there any way to increase your power cap or is it stuck at 13? May have to make a second basic Iron Man as I'd prefer Red 5 Yellow 3 Blue 5 than my current R5Y5B3

Top Bottom