• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - |OT| The truth about 8.

JPS Kai

Yeah I only put some in initially when she was still fighting then stopped also.

The union stuff, the only way to raise the attack more is just to get the higher levels of it. As the first lv has reduced damage, second level slightly reduced damage and third level removes the damage reduction penalty.

But they did not mention what the actual breakdown of how the overall damage is calculated. So with that I reckon it just depends on the stats of your characters.

Yeah, I've gotten the third tier on some unity skills. Brain aspire helps buff me up high enough to just use the assault orders every other turn. I'll have to look into getting the third suicide skill and see if that does enough. Right now I can only do about 150-200 damage per hit with suicide, definitely not high enough for what I need right now.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yeah, I've gotten the third tier on some unity skills. Brain aspire helps buff me up high enough to just use the assault orders every other turn. I'll have to look into getting the third suicide skill and see if that does enough. Right now I can only do about 150-200 damage per hit with suicide, definitely not high enough for what I need right now.

Sorry couldnt be much more help than that at the moment. D:

The unity skills are great though, really useful stuff esp in this series with the Academics skill to help refil the gauge in a bind.

Thats one system that I really like with the Exp Inc titles that use it.

JPS Kai

Sorry couldnt be much more help than that at the moment. D:

The unity skills are great though, really useful stuff esp in this series with the Academics skill to help refil the gauge in a bind.

Thats one system that I really like with the Exp Inc titles that use it.

It's all good, anything certainly helps. :3

If Steins;Gate doesn't come in soon enough, this will probably what I binge play during my plane/downtime for E3. If nothing else, I can just do a LOT of grinding.

Wish I saw the posts about curry care sooner. I went through nearly 20 curry care secretly hoping something interesting would happen (yes, I got a ton through code drops and just wasted them)

dkoy

After reading all this, and reading up on the THAC0 system, I guess I should really start thinking more on how i allocate stat points. I'm only at level 9 so It's not a big deal yet at least. This seems to be one of the few RPGs out there where LUCK is actually useful
Bloody paralyse doesn't automatically wear off :(

Parakeetman

It's all good, anything certainly helps. :3

If Steins;Gate doesn't come in soon enough, this will probably what I binge play during my plane/downtime for E3. If nothing else, I can just do a LOT of grinding.

Wish I saw the posts about curry care sooner. I went through nearly 20 curry care secretly hoping something interesting would happen (yes, I got a ton through code drops and just wasted them)

lol wrote that up in the FAQ section too since I know it will happen with folks. Even myself when I was first playing the JP one after god knows how many times I started to realize ok this shit doesnt end does it? lol then just stopped.

At least its not too bad to harvest at that particular spot mentioned in the FAQ section. By that time you should be able to trash anything in there super fast too.

Thats the nice thing with the game it really is "grind" friendly with how fast the battles are and such. Which is great for loot hunting and whatnots. :)

After reading all this, and reading up on the THAC0 system, I guess I should really start thinking more on how i allocate stat points. I'm only at level 9 so It's not a big deal yet at least. This seems to be one of the few RPGs out there where LUCK is actually useful
Bloody paralyse doesn't automatically wear off :(

Yeah for your more crucial characters that you want them to stay in the battle, most def putting at least like 15 points into LUK is good if you can afford it. Its why the some JP players call the Funny type for the character an actual good selection due to the high amount of LUK. Though you need to really get a decent roll to up the rest of the stats.

Seda

Fast Code unity skill is by far the one I use most (other than Escape).

I'm not being too picky about stat point allocation either yolo

JPS Kai

lol wrote that up in the FAQ section too since I know it will happen with folks. Even myself when I was first playing the JP one after god knows how many times I started to realize ok this shit doesnt end does it? lol then just stopped.

At least its not too bad to harvest at that particular spot mentioned in the FAQ section. By that time you should be able to trash anything in there super fast too.

Thats the nice thing with the game it really is "grind" friendly with how fast the battles are and such. Which is great for loot hunting and whatnots. :)

Yeah, Experience definitely has the speedy auto battles down. That's the one thing that kept me from getting the platinum in Class of Heroes 2G and that 10,000 battle trophy.

Shizuka

Once you get Brain Spire, start with the magic shield one, then fast code, then magic up. Repeat as you go, since Brain Spire will most likely fill your unity bar every turn.

Also, I just bought all the 1-ton items and now I only have six of them, I need another four to make the 10-ton one. Where do I get them?

Parakeetman

As long as you are not making things like Mage Tanks or Battle Clerics you should be fine lol.

Yeah most def the Fast Code and Escape are ones that really help a lot.

Seda

Once you get Brain Spire, start with the magic shield one, then fast code, then magic up. Repeat as you go, since Brain Spire will most likely fill your unity bar every turn.

so i just now realized that magic shields protects against all attacks, not just magic attacks

yeah

Shizuka

so i just now realized that magic shields protects against all attacks, not just magic attacks

yeah

And that's another thing with this game, I had the same thought until I bothered to read what the other skills did when I had already casted the fast one and had unity points left to cast another one of those. I need to stop skimming help text on RPGs.

Parakeetman

No battle clerics?

....Oops

Battle Clerics remind me of people play FF11 back in the days and kept trying to melee with the White Mages and wondered why they were dying lol. Operation Abyss did not really give the Physician access to equipment that makes them be sorta able to stand on the front line as much as they did with other titles.

In one of Exp Incs other titles, Stranger of Sword City it actually is possible to turn a healer into a front line fighter which is hilarious.

JPS Kai

Battle Clerics remind me of people play FF11 back in the days and kept trying to melee with the White Mages and wondered why they were dying lol. Operation Abyss did not really give the Physician access to equipment that makes them be sorta able to stand on the front line as much as they did with other titles.

In one of Exp Incs other titles, Stranger of Sword City it actually is possible to turn a healer into a front line fighter which is hilarious.

Maybe if they didn't tempt me with sweet priest only 2-hand hammers with a M range, I wouldn't have considered that as a potentially viable option lol

SephLuis

Ah wait I see its Brain Spire is what you are talking about lol. Yeah that skill is pretty important the other big reason to have the Academic around. Dont think there are any negative effects also for constantly using it. Besides it not always working.

After getting Brain Spire with my Academic, I basically changed his job to cheerleader lol

So far, I haven't getting too much trouble out of fights. My priest got the mana barrier and almost everything has been a breeze.

Parakeetman

Maybe if they didn't tempt me with sweet priest only 2-hand hammers with a M range, I wouldn't have considered that as a potentially viable option lol

As the good Admiral would say "ITS A TRAP" lol.

I remember in Demon Gaze I actually used my cleric to melee sometimes when it got pushed to the front which was hilarious.

After getting Brain Spire with my Academic, I basically changed his job to cheerleader lol

So far, I haven't getting too much trouble out of fights. My priest got the mana barrier and almost everything has been a breeze.

lol yeah pretty much beats doing like single digit damage with those pea shooters folks usually make them carry :D

cj_iwakura

The post-game of Etrian Odyssey 1 is responsible for the phrase 'Combat Medic'. Caduceus makes her a killing machine.

SephLuis

lol yeah pretty much beats doing like single digit damage with those pea shooters folks usually make them carry :D

I will try to take a picture later, but my academic is wearing an armor that looks like a bikini which makes this cheerleader even more funny and disturbing =P

Parakeetman

I will try to take a picture later, but my academic is wearing an armor that looks like a bikini which makes this cheerleader even more funny and disturbing =P

haha yeah there are some pretty crazy outfits. Do you have that unique Academic full helmet on too along with those crazy mechanical wings.

Parakeetman

Updated the New Player FAQ section with the following.

XP40Ps8.png

x = Poor
Triangle = So-so
Circle = Ok
Double Circle = Good
Dash = NA

Granted you can see these stats in game while you make your character figured would just get this put out anyways. Was originally from the JP wiki, not sure what they used for the abbreviations in the localized ver so just erased it from the chart.

Due to being nearly over characters in the initial OT post, was unable to fit the symbol key lol.

people

I found this Lv13 'Holy Press' way early and now my P can finally use it, lol.

Once I realized my Knight was on Aegis duty 95% of the time, I stopped pumping STR at all.
I expected this to be like Demon Gaze where my Paladin would use Devotion pretty much all the time.

dkoy

So I decided at the beginning of my playthrough to have 2 of each affinity/trait in my party. And now the base unity rating for my Good and Bad characters are have dropped to 90% while my neutrals are 111%. Not sure if I should start the therapy or continue and see what happens when it reaches 0%.

Parakeetman

So I decided at the beginning of my playthrough to have 2 of each affinity/trait in my party. And now the base unity rating for my Good and Bad characters are have dropped to 90% while my neutrals are 111%. Not sure if I should start the therapy or continue and see what happens when it reaches 0%.

Outside of the numerical values of the alignments in the FAQ section never really paid attention to that particular game mechanic since it didnt seem to effect me much. Does the manual say anything about it?

My party in abyss was mixed too with all alignments.

dkoy

Outside of the numerical values of the alignments in the FAQ section never really paid attention to that particular game mechanic since it didnt seem to effect me much. Does the manual say anything about it?

My party in abyss was mixed too with all alignments.

I'm not too sure. All the in-game FAQ says is that unity rating fluctuates between + and - 100% and that parties with good/neutral and neutral/evil will have increased unity while evil/good will have decreased unity. Then it says stuff about trust between members which really doesn't give any hint.

However! After saying that I just finished
fighting NoNo for the first time
and my good aligned Knight died (sob sob) and when I tried to revive him with my evil aligned physician it just said "Physician decided not to use Error Care". I tried again and again but it just came up with the same thing. So maybe that's what it means by trust?

Either way my knight missed out on the exp and now I'm going to force feed him GP to keep him on par with everyone else.

Image below of the message I got (Yuki is my Physician) Contains minor spoilers so if you're not too far in only look at the bottom text.

Parakeetman

hmmm thats interesting. never had that happen before. will keep an eye out when i create a new party.

thanks for looking up the info!

dkoy

hmmm thats interesting. never had that happen before. will keep an eye out when i create a new party.

thanks for looking up the info!

Actually I just realized my mistake. Error care does not revive which may be why my Physician didn't cast it during battle. I misread the help text as Angst/Critical/Death included instead of excluded. Woops I guess?

Volcynika

Still haven't gotten my shipping email, but they did say they charged me for the LE successfully! Probably delayed on the email end, but still. NISA pls.

Any beginner/starting tips by the way, Parakeetman?

probably a dumb question but in the first dungeon I found two secret rooms with blue floors on my map and it seems nothing inside? what's going on?

Seda

probably a dumb question but in the first dungeon I found two secret rooms with blue floors on my map and it seems nothing inside? what's going on?

There are many empty rooms throughout the dungeons. Occasionally you'll find an item or forced encounter but often, nothing.

Parakeetman

Still haven't gotten my shipping email, but they did say they charged me for the LE successfully! Probably delayed on the email end, but still. NISA pls.

Any beginner/starting tips by the way, Parakeetman?

Is there anything in particular that you wanted to know?

One of the more important things would be most def try to fight as much as possible to get a fair amount of equipment from enemy drops and most def have an Academic in the party to disarm the traps on the code chips which is basically this games treasure chests. Plus when they reach a higher level, they will gain the ability to identify items too that will save you a lot of money eventually. Also when you do get the identify skill while it will be a bit of a pain at the start, use up all of the spell charges then rest at the medical facility to recover mp and repeat till you got everything identified. Its a lot cheaper than trying to pay $$$ to identify everything, especially later on where higher lv items are more expensive.

Saphirax

I've been looking over the wiki for what feels like hours now, but I'm still stuck in the GHQ cemetery. I know what I'm supposed to do with the riddle, I'm just stumped how to open the doors. I only managed to open one - the South shortcut so I'm left with a bunch of unexplored areas that have those switches that I've no idea how to get to.

Seda

I've been looking over the wiki for what feels like hours now, but I'm still stuck in the GHQ cemetery. I know what I'm supposed to do with the riddle, I'm just stumped how to open the doors. I only managed to open one - the South shortcut so I'm left with a bunch of unexplored areas that have those switches that I've no idea how to get to.

I just got there, was spending some time gaining levels. You'll have to clue us in if you figure it out.

One of my characters got exhausted & KOed, tried to revive him but I guess he lost his code-rise and was forced to leave the game

*resets*

Parakeetman

I just got there, was spending some time gaining levels. You'll have to clue us in if you figure it out.

One of my characters got exhausted & KOed, tried to revive him but I guess he lost his code-rise and was forced to leave the game

*resets*

Oh yeah that exhausted ability, you need to remove it before trying to revive someone. I dont think they actually tell you that in game, if they did I dont remember. D: We were talking about that earlier in the thread since it happened to someone else too.

So you need to use that vacation option in the medbay. Save those items that can recover it since those are pretty limited.

Guys try this

South X04Y11 North X04Y03 West X09Y15 (Princess Fight)West X06Y09 

Saphirax

*resets*

Naturally, after posting about it I figured it out. There was an area I thought to have thoroughly explored but it continued towards the next map area. That's why I had trouble finding it.

Shizuka

Just finished the game. Wow, that was a wild ride, this must be one of the tightest DRPGs I've ever played, congratulations are in order for NISA securing such a fine game to their library. Now it's time to write my review and share with you all when it's up.

Parakeetman

Just finished the game. Wow, that was a wild ride, this must be one of the tightest DRPGs I've ever played, congratulations are in order for NISA securing such a fine game to their library. Now it's time to write my review and share with you all when it's up.

Congrats, Ill add it to the OT once you get the link out.

Shizuka, how many hours did you get out of this one? I'm assuming it's somewhat the same length as Demon Gaze.

Shizuka

Shizuka, how many hours did you get out of this one? I'm assuming it's somewhat the same length as Demon Gaze.

Don't take my playtime for measure, since I've used a guide during most of the second half of the game, but even then, without post-game content, I cleared the game in 34 hours. Without a guide, I guess it'd be 40 hours before you can even venture into the post-game content.

General times is around 30-50 depending. Can be less to of course 25s.

Don't take my playtime for measure, since I've used a guide during most of the second half of the game, but even then, without post-game content, I cleared the game in 34 hours. Without a guide, I guess it'd be 40 hours before you can even venture into the post-game content.

Yeah along the lines of what I expected. You mentioned a guide, is this easily found online? You see my problem with games sometimes is that I am too stubborn to admit that I need help, knowing that there is something I can go back to if I ever get stuck would put a lot of relief on my playthroughs.

Shizuka

Yeah along the lines of what I expected. You mentioned a guide, is this easily found online? You see my problem with games sometimes is that I am too stubborn to admit that I need help, knowing that there is something I can go back to if I ever get stuck would put a lot of relief on my playthroughs.

I've used Google Translator with the ones Parakeetman supplied on the old topic:

Also, I still can't buy more 1-ton codes to make the 10-ton one. I remember that I got them during one mission, but had to use them right after it. Does that mean you can't make it without those ones and the trophy is a missable?

Parakeetman

I've used Google Translator with the ones Parakeetman supplied on the old topic:

Also, I still can't buy more 1-ton codes to make the 10-ton one. I remember that I got them during one mission, but had to use them right after it. Does that mean you can't make it without those ones and the trophy is a missable?

Those guides are in this OT also.

You still should be able to get them as drops. Am trying to check that out. If what Im seeing here is correct can get them from Masamune Rabbits and Soul Eaters in the basement. Though it looks like most of the stuff is from quest rewards.
Ok those monsters is what is in the basement that you fall into. Not what drop them.

Still looking.

I looked in the section where it talks about things players can miss and only the trophy from the first half of the game was mentioned and not the falling through the floor one. Though no specifics on outside of quest rewards and the shop with how to obtain more of those items.

CrovaxPSO

The wiki mentions something about them being available after the boss in the TPF Kingdom in the 2nd semester. Unfortunately I can't remember how I got mine. I remember I used several on switches, so I was definitely able to get more. I just don't recall if they were drops or from quests, sorry. Checked the date on the trophy and it was one of the last ones I got.

Might as well throw my clear time out there for reference as well, 42 hours for the story. That's with trying to do everything for the platinum as soon as I could to get it out of the way. Total time to clear the post-game content and get the platinum was about 60 hours.

Shizuka

I just found that you get more during one of the post-game quests, I'll deal with that one later then. Also, it's just a matter of time until someone brings it up, but there are two untranslated lines on the game that somehow must've passed QA. I contacted NISA as soon as I found them last week and they're aware of it.

autoduelist

So this should show up tomorrow i think.

The non-guide basics (for plat) as I understand it based on this thread:

1) Don't use curry something something, you'll need it later for some quest or something.

2) Complete all quests before moving on at the 'mid point'.

anything else to know? I keep seeing people referencing 'gamble codes'... should they be kept for postgame or anything?

Just trying to make sure my non-guide playthrough doesn't screw me over.

Shizuka

So this should show up tomorrow i think.

The non-guide basics (for plat) as I understand it based on this thread:

1) Don't use curry something something, you'll need it later for some quest or something.

2) Complete all quests before moving on at the 'mid point'.

anything else to know? I keep seeing people referencing 'gamble codes'... should they be kept for postgame or anything?

Just trying to make sure my non-guide playthrough doesn't screw me over.

Gamble codes are items that're used to transform one item into a completely different and random one, from the same level (or a little lower or higher). If you buy Squeaky Hammer (150k GP) from the shop, you can use a gamble code on it (provided you save before it), there is a chance it'll become a MURAMASA (a strong katana that's also required for a trophy).

Top Bottom