• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios Hires Uncharted 3, Darksiders Artists. Crunch Time "This Year"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
That was because Sakamoto has a certain vision of what he wants from the Metroid story.
The overall production was pretty good, though.

The production was mediocre. It honestly felt like some of the early PSX games with weird Japanese-English localization when it came to the voice acting. But at least it was there and hopefully it shows Nintendo areas they can improve upon.

But dennis dyack was interviewed saying his studio is working on " a sequel everybody wants" and considering they made eternal darkness 1 and everyone wants a sequel it makes sense that they are doing it. I think retro is working on something different.

I would be shocked if ED2 is being made.

Dyack burned a lot of bridges when he left.

But who knows. Financial insolvency and a bad half-decade of work might get him to work cheap.

V_Ben

Banned
But dennis dyack was interviewed saying his studio is working on " a sequel everybody wants" and considering they made eternal darkness 1 and everyone wants a sequel it makes sense that they are doing it. I think retro is working on something different.

Does that quote necessarily mean that SK is working on a sequel everybody wants to a game they made though? Perhaps the full quote sounds more likely.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I would be shocked if ED2 is being made.

Dyack burned a lot of bridges when he left.

But who knows. Financial insolvency and a bad half-decade of work might get him to work cheap.

Did he? I think it was a mutual decision. The Wii was not a medium for the games Silicon Knights wanted to develop. I think that was understood by all the parties involved.

Conor 419

Banned
Sony tried that twice. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Uncharted franchise outperformed both Killzone and Resistance did it not?

Name these other consoles that were underpowered.

To me, Halo always seemed to play like something Nintendo could have made. Still, there are plenty of third party FPS's out there, Nintendo would probably be smarter doing their own, new thing.

Neiteio

What if Retro Studios were making a new Diddy Kong Racing? Hear me out:

- They helped make tracks in Mario Kart 7. I seem to recall they were involved in more than just the DKCR track, which should also be evident from the fact the Retro staff has ghosts to beat on most (if not every) track in the game.

- They revived Donkey Kong Country, which Nintendo must have recognized for its sales potential from the onset.

- Nintendo knows kart racers sell, and the DK license sells. Combine them, and you have something that will sell early on WiiU, without having to yet play the Mario Kart card (too soon after MK7 for that).

Has anyone considered this possibility? Retro must know a thing or two abou kart racing games after mastering the courses in MK7 and consulting in their construction. Perhaps it was a training grounds of sorts for their next project...

- They helped make tracks in Mario Kart 7. I seem to recall they were involved in more than just the DKCR track, which should also be evident from the fact the Retro staff has ghosts to beat on most (if not every) track in the game.

- They revived Donkey Kong Country, which Nintendo must have recognized for its sales potential from the onset.

- Nintendo knows kart racers sell, and the DK license sells. Combine them, and you have something that will sell early on WiiU, without having to yet play the Mario Kart card (too soon after MK7 for that).

Has anyone considered this possibility? Retro must know a thing or two abou kart racing games after mastering the courses in MK7 and consulting in their construction. Perhaps it was a training grounds of sorts for their next project...

I'm not sure they can.
Rare made them all, including the DS one.

Even EAD Tokyo has developed more substantially varied content that still manages to be brilliant.

I think EAD Tokyo is on the same god tier as Retro, but I'm not sure I'd call their portfolio more varied. They haven't done anything but platformers. Retro has done a platformer, first person adventures, and a racer.

rpmurphy

Retro could make a new Star Fox, F-Zero, Zelda, or Metroid, OR they could make me very happy with a 3DS or Wii U remake of the Mother games.

AntMurda

2002-2011

Nintendo EAD Kyoto
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Swords, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Link's Crossbow Training, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Music, Animal Crossing: City Folk, Animal Crossing: Wild World, Big Brain Academy, Yoshi Touch & Go, Pikmin 2, The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures, New Super Mario Bros., New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart: DS, Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart 7, Nintendogs, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Pacman Vs.

Nintendo EAD Tokyo
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat, Super Mario Galaxy 1, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario 3D Land, Jibun de Tsukuru Nintendo DS Guide, Flip Note Studio

Nintendo SPD
Metroid Fusion, Metroid: Zero Mission, Band Brothers, Tetris DS, Brain-Age, Brain-Age 2, English Training, Money Market DS, WarioWare, Tomodachi Collection, Kiki Trick, Play-Yan, Photo Dojo, Rhytm Heaven, DS Rakubiki Jiten

Retro Studios
Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, Metroid Prime 3, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Donkey Kong: Country Returns

On what grounds could you say Retro Studios has outperformed the main studios of Nintendo, not even counting all of them.

Dr.Hadji

Nintendo SPD
Metroid Fusion, Metroid: Zero Mission, Band Brothers, Tetris DS, Brain-Age, Brain-Age 2, English Training, Money Market DS, WarioWare, Tomodachi Collection, Kiki Trick, Play-Yan, Photo Dojo, Rhytm Heaven, DS Rakubiki Jiten.

Better than Retro on Rhythm Heaven alone. Besides, Zero Mission is better than any of the Primes.

Antioch

That was because Sakamoto has a certain vision of what he wants from the Metroid story.
The overall production was pretty good, though.

Well the CG was well done, sure. I think everyone liked seeing the Super Metroid ending as a cutscene, everything else though? Not so great.

AFAIK, Retro's capacity on MK7 was simply sharing the DKCR assets and redoing the classic tracks, as well as some character models, I don't think they actually designed any tracks. I really think Retro only helped out on the game in the first place because they work ungodly well under time pressure, which there has been a lot of evidence of in the past, and Nintendo needed the game out for the holiday season, I wouldn't be surprised if they originally intended it for a 2012 release.

If anyone should do Diddy Kong Racing now I think Monster Games would be fit for the job.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I just woke up from a nap and if my dream was any kind of mystic insight into Retro's project let me tell you there's trains derailing, gift giving, campy guys who work in the DVD department of entertainment stores, and the main character might just be a puma.

AFAIK, Retro's capacity on MK7 was simply sharing the DKCR assets and redoing the classic tracks, as well as some character models, I don't think they actually designed any tracks.

They designed DK Jungle, and redesigning all those old courses in 3D and getting them to work with the new mechanics and added shortcuts is no mean feat. In the interview the main team kept stressing how impressed they were at how well Retro understood what makes a great Mario Kart track.

Gleethor

They designed DK Jungle, and redesigning all those old courses in 3D and getting them to work with the new mechanics and added shortcuts is no mean feat. In the interview the main team kept stressing how impressed they were at how well Retro understood what makes a great Mario Kart track.

Retro's greatest strength is that they understand what makes whatever series they're working on great.

Neiteio

They could, they just wouldn't be able to use some of the characters.
What DKR characters couldn't they use? Banjo and Conker were already removed in the DS version, for precisely that reason. Since Pipsy, Tiptup, Timber, etc, were all retained, I was under the impression Nintendo owns them.

What DKR characters couldn't they use? Banjo and Conker were already removed in the DS version, for precisely that reason. Since Pipsy, Tiptup, Timber, etc, were all retained, I was under the impression Nintendo owns them.

Yeah- The DS version included Dixie Kong and Tiny Kong to replace Banjo and Conker, but the rest of the cast was intact. Nintendo owns all of the DKR characters who weren't spun into their own series.

mclem

I just woke up from a nap and if my dream was any kind of mystic insight into Retro's project let me tell you there's trains derailing, gift giving, campy guys who work in the DVD department of entertainment stores, and the main character might just be a puma.

Preordered pending confirmation of puma.

Leopard would be a dealbreaker.

One of the greatest gifts the internet has given the world is the ability to see that other people share the same feelings and ideas as you.

*tear*

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
"Retro wants these artists to have talant for hand painted textures"

5IWYv.gif
5IWYv.gif
5IWYv.gif
YOSHI'S ISLAND WII U
5IWYv.gif
5IWYv.gif
5IWYv.gif

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

Oh fuck yes, finally my prayers have been answered and a Pete Puma videogame is being developed!

Vinci

Danish
Nintendo needs to keep developing Retro as well as other Western talents. It's almost like having a small version of Rare around, but Nintendo needs to expand from there to as many that are willing to accept Nintendo's guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom