• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening [3DS] coming to Europe in 2012

Levyne

Banned
I still don't like the subtle changes in art style but the cel-shaded look is awesome as ever for the cutscenes.

Glad to know that it will at least be released in Europe. Not getting to play FE12 was a pain for an FE player like me.

"Special characters from other games will join you"
Would like to see Mia ,Nephenee ,Hector and Florina again ,but I assume they mean mostly main characters. So most likely only Hector has a chance.

Was their any other info about the DLC aside from the characters?

Levyne

Banned
Glad to know that it will at least be released in Europe. Not getting to play FE12 was a pain for an FE player like me.

"Special characters from other games will join you"
Would like to see Mia ,Nephenee ,Hector and Florina again ,but I assume they mean mostly main characters. So most likely only Hector has a chance.

Was their any other info about the DLC aside from the characters?

Are The FE DS games really gonna be known as "FE11" and "FE12"? Aren't they remakes? I'd prefer "FE1 DS" and "FE3 DS" or such.

I guess it doesn't matter

Meikiyou

I still don't like the subtle changes in art style but the cel-shaded look is awesome as ever for the cutscenes.

The character design from awakening is made by the guy who did the no more heroes character design.

Really want fire emblem 3ds here. Why I didn't bought an european 3ds =c?

Rarutos

Really really really hoping that this will be announced for NA later. I'll be so sad if we don't get this here. Stupid region locks. :(

Nairume

Banned
Are The FE DS games really gonna be known as "FE11" and "FE12"? Aren't they remakes? I'd prefer "FE1 DS" and "FE3 DS" or such.

I guess it doesn't matter

Keep in mind that this numbering system counts Fire Emblem Gaiden as Fire Emblem 2. It kind of doesn't make much sense as it is.

A crossover FE sounds weird. Especially if you toss in original characters to the mix.

At least Europe gets to have all the fun again.

Rarutos

What is up with this bizarro world lately where Europe gets things and NA doesn't?

I'm hoping that they're getting it first because NoE is working on the localization and that NoA will just publish with that localization later... I think FE11 came out in Europe first too.

Out of curiosity, do all the FE games do the randomised level up stats thing?

The one FE thing I've not quite liked(of the few I've played).

If this really is related to the first two then it sucks that the second DS one was never localized. Guess I shouldn't expect NOA to bring this over than either.

I believe some of the games have had non-RNG modes, though they may only have been unlocked after beating the game.

FE9 had the option to play a points based mode after clearing the game once. It's some weird method of building points based off what class you are, what you are fighting, what weapon you have and other things that will determine what stats will increase during level ups or something.

http://serenesforest.net/fe9/fixed.htm

Codeblue

Fan favorites returning is a really cool idea. Maybe they can include Marisa but make her not suck.

My happiness about TLS quickly turned into rage as Reggie closed out the video. This better be coming over. Hopefully the system gets hacked before then so I won't have to worry about it either way.

If this really is related to the first two then it sucks that the second DS one was never localized. Guess I shouldn't expect NOA to bring this over than either.

It's doesn't have to be related to the other 2, at least not directly. Marth's story is over and complete. This is like a new start for Marth.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
FE9 had the option to play a points based mode after clearing the game once. It's some weird method of building points based off what class you are, what you are fighting, what weapon you have and other things that will determine what stats will increase during level ups or something.

http://serenesforest.net/fe9/fixed.htm

Fixed leveled up is dumb as hell and for people overly worried that they would be screwed by the RNG, instead accepting mediocre stats for all of their battling characters.

Bonus EXP in Radiant Dawn is a much less frustrating, much more elegant system. You get three stat ups in any level up done by BEXP, and it ignores all stats that are maxed.

Can't believe no one else has said this but the box art looks incredible. I love the types of boxes that just involve tons of characters charging/fighting/etc

:/

I really want this. Another reason why I find it regrettable that the 3DS is not region-free. Really hope this is announced for NA, but it's a bit of a coin-toss with NoA, isn't it?

It's coming.

If it doesn't come to America, it will be because plans were cancelled, not because they simply decided not to start them.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
This is Nintendo's premiere DLC title, so it is very likely to come over here. Nintendo hasn't officially rolled out DLC in the Americas, so I imagine that is the main reason for the delay. I believe it will be announced around the same time as Theatrhythm for the same reason, and that will most likely be at E3 (assuming Iwata doesn't speak at GDC).

Torraz

Now I just need some plans regarding porting future atlus titles and phoenix wright games ot the EU and I could directly buy a 3ds.

This is Nintendo's premiere DLC title, so it is very likely to come over here. Nintendo hasn't officially rolled out DLC in the Americas, so I imagine that is the main reason for the delay.

I'm sorry, but that line of logic makes 0 sense. Why would DLC matter for a niche franchise? FE12 had DLC, look what happened to that game. Why use Fire Emblem when they could do it for much bigger franchises with 100x the selling power? Wouldn't more people buy mean more DLC sales?

Boerseun

Banned
Regarding the numbering, I find it interesting how the official Nintendo website mentioned above lists the DS remakes as numbered, (seemingly) main-line entries. I would prefer if they were kept in a separate sub-category (as on Wikipedia).

I don't believe there has ever been a Fire Emblem game with an actual number in the title. Yet I do remember the Gamecube entry, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, actively being marketed by Nintendo as Fire Emblem 9 and "the ninth entry in the series", although it doesn't say "9" anywhere on the box (as far as I can remember - my copy is in storage). Then of course you also have the issue of some games being directly related in story and/or setting, creating several sub-series within the larger Fire Emblem property.

Whatever the case though, I love this series and will definitely be picking up this new one. Fire Emblem is one good thing you can never have enough of.

I'm sorry, but that line of logic makes 0 sense. Why would DLC matter for a niche franchise? FE12 had DLC, look what happened to that game. Why use Fire Emblem when they could do it for much bigger franchises with 100x the selling power? Wouldn't more people buy mean more DLC sales?

I don't mean to disturb your Chicken Littleling, but your logic doesn't check out, either.

If they bring this Fire Emblem over, they can't bring out another game?

Meikiyou

Regarding the numbering, I find it interesting how the official Nintendo website mentioned above lists the DS remakes as numbered, (seemingly) main-line entries. I would prefer if they were kept in a separate sub-category (as on Wikipedia).

I don't believe there has ever been a Fire Emblem game with an actual number in the title. Yet I do remember the Gamecube entry, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, actively being marketed by Nintendo as Fire Emblem 9 and "the ninth entry in the series", although it doesn't say "9" anywhere on the box (as far as I can remember - my copy is in storage). Then of course you also have the issue of some games being directly related in story and/or setting, creating several sub-series within the larger Fire Emblem property.

Whatever the case though, I love this series and will definitely be picking up this new one. Fire Emblem is one good thing you can never have enough of.

Can't agree more with that.

The fact that Sacred Stones is an ambassador title shows that NoA still thinks about Fire Emblem.

Odds are FE12 wasn't released simply because by the time it came out the 3DS was already being pushed.

Peff

The fact that Sacred Stones is an ambassador title shows that NoA still thinks about Fire Emblem.

Odds are FE12 wasn't released simply because by the time it came out the 3DS was already being pushed.

Not to mention that even if NoE had tried to localize it, last year was absolutely insane for them. There's no way they could have shoehorned the low budget sequel of a low budget, low selling SRPG with a lot of text between Xenoblade, The Last Story, Inazuma Eleven, Skyward Sword, Layton, OoT3D, the 3DS/eshop launch...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Not to mention that even if NoE had tried to localize it, last year was absolutely insane for them. There's no way they could have shoehorned the low budget sequel of a low budget, low selling SRPG with a lot of text between Xenoblade, The Last Story, Inazuma Eleven, Skyward Sword, Layton, OoT3D, the 3DS/eshop launch...

and I must say that they are continuing their quality localization history (both in terms of distribution, price, sub and dub)

iavi

So it's Kozaki who's doing the art, wow. Not his usual style choice at all, but I guess FE doesn't allow him to go NMH or Speed Grapher.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

It's different from FE12 because Nintendo is launching the Nintendo Network for the 3DS/Wii U which obviously is a major priority for them (going be the last investor meeting) and it needs to show support itself. If Thearhythm had already been announced over here along with the unveiling for 3DS NA DLC, then I would be a bit worried. But as it stands, Awakening is A. The first Nintendo title to support DLC on the Nintendo Network and B. Already confirmed for Europe.

I don't see one sign (yet) pointing to them not releasing it here. The only reason Europe confirmed the release was because they didn't have their own stream that was focused on the next 2-3 months for their market (like the other two did). If Nintendo of Europe had made their own Nintendo Direct, there would of been zero mention of Awakening just like the American Nintendo Direct.

Side note: Not sure what you mean by "why doesn't Nintendo just use a bigger franchise?" comment. That's like asking why does Nintendo even release Niche products in the first place? I imagine the reasoning for Awakening being their premium DLC showcase is because they see a bunch of growth potential for adding DLC to FE and they imagine more FE players (then say Pokemon) will have access/ability/desire to download the DLC.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
It makes sense to me that NoA would hold these announcements until E3. Yet, people will cry and complain about how much Reggie sucks, then be all excited about the MEGATON localization announcements at E3. If it was announced before then, everyone would complain there was nothing new at E3. They're damned of they do, damned if they don't.

I have zero inside information but I'm 99.9% sure we will get this game in NA.

jesusraz

Shouldn't have stopped them releasing FEDS2 in Europe early this year...and the likes of Fossil Fighters and Glory of Heracles :(

Top Bottom