• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening [3DS] coming to Europe in 2012

Does anyone remember the Iwata Sakurai Asks for FESD ending with:
Narihiro said:
So we’re trying to make best use of the characters we’ve had up to now and from these we’re hoping to be able to produce a new game.
I seem to remember there being a bit more but interesting...then again the idea of FE characters making cameos in other FE games is hardly new (the 2nd installment being the first time though I guess Anna would be a better example or Jake in FE4&7)

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but this will be Fire Emblem 11, right? With Path of Radiance being Fire Emblem 9, Radiant Dawn being Fire Emblem 10, and not counting the remakes as new entries.
Wasn't Path of Radiance FE8 internally in files (header etc, I might not remember correctly) and so was Sacred Stones. Meaning there was no FE9 as Radiant Dawn was FE10. I'd go with whatever Intelligent Systems go with. I don't know if in the header Shadow Dragon was 11 and heroes of Light and Magic[/spoiler] Shadow 12. Though the Iwata Sakurai Asks for FESD does have Narihiro calling Shadow Dragon the 11th installment.

For now FE:Subtitle, FEA or FE3DS are what I'd go with.

NOA isn't even publishing Last Story.
Which actually makes a US release more likely as it proves Nintendo is considering conceding publishing rights to titles it isn't bothered with. Then again that could be another Polarium Advance or Cubivore event...

marth??? where is dreamboat ike :(
Yours for just $7.99. Horse Armor sold separately.

Are The FE DS games really gonna be known as "FE11" and "FE12"? Aren't they remakes? I'd prefer "FE1 DS" and "FE3 DS" or such.

I guess it doesn't matter
"FE3 DS" and "FE 3DS" referring to different things could be mildly confusing. Though it would be FE13 3DS or FE11 3DS...oh this is mind-numbing...

Can't believe no one else has said this but the box art looks incredible. I love the types of boxes that just involve tons of characters charging/fighting/etc
I just wonder what will be done to it under the guise of "its too white".

The fact that Sacred Stones is an ambassador title shows that Nintendo still thinks about Fire Emblem.
Fixed. The Ambassador games are the same world-wide as it has IPs that are either relevant or Nintendo wants to make relevant and Sacred Stones is a decent primer.

Seda

Wasn't Path of Radiance FE8 internally in files (header etc, I might not remember correctly) and so was Sacred Stones. Meaning there was no FE9 as Radiant Dawn was FE10.

Don't overcomplicate it. Path of Radiance was the 9th game released, hence, FE9 is an acceptable abbreviation.

cednym

Banned
Which actually makes a US release more likely as it proves Nintendo is considering conceding publishing rights to titles it isn't bothered with. Then again that could be another Polarium Advance or Cubivore event....

Despite the name of the studio (which is irrelevant), Intelligent Systems is as much a part of Nintendo as EAD is. Fire Emblem is either going to be Nintendo-published or not published at all.

Meikiyou

Fixed. The Ambassador games are the same world-wide as it has IPs that are either relevant or Nintendo wants to make relevant and Sacred Stones is a decent primer.

Which games on the ambassador list were not from already established and successful franchises?

leroidys

This game has surprised me. When I saw the reveal trailer I thought "meh looks like crappy animu to pander to kids." And while it still does kinda look like that... it looks like they're putting a ton more effort into this title than they have in any fire emblem game before it. I really hope it comes out here. I'm still disappointed they didn't bring over the second DS game.

KingK

Lyn and Hector NEED to be in this game. I won't say no to Ross and Florina either.

I'm still pissed I never got to play FE7 on GBA. It's impossible to find anywhere for a decent price now. It's the only FE localized in NA that I haven't played :(

I'm still pissed I never got to play FE7 on GBA. It's impossible to find anywhere for a decent price now. It's the only FE localized in NA that I haven't played :(
And my cartridge just died ;_;. Seriously if they release FE7 on the eshop they'll have a 3DS sale.

Also this game looks interesting. The tie-in with FE1-3 is neat. Not a fan of the art style or chibi graphics but everything else sounds pretty awesome. Returning characters would be incredible.

I'm going to quote my observations from another forum:

OK Here's a thing:

When they're showing that big blue portal with all the people coming out of it, the thing that you're all thinking is a Dragon's gate [the thing from FE7 that transported dragons from another universe], the person at the center of the portal is very clearly My Unit. I believe we learned in a previous update that My Unit appeared out of nowhere with no memory of anything. Could it be that all the other people in the portal are other characters from other games, who are going to appear in this game as well? Hmmm. Maybe we'll find out where Ike and Soren ended up after their adventures.

EDIT: Ooh also when they're showing wasserface crying girl, in the background they show a castle. That castle is built on top of a dragon skull. You can see the teeth and eyeholes.

Codeblue

Cool observation. I really hope that's the case. I've been wanting the "Fire Emblem All Stars" idea to come to fruition ever since it was mentioned, and if it takes a weird portal idea, I'm cool with that.

Meikiyou

And my cartridge just died ;_;. Seriously if they release FE7 on the eshop they'll have a 3DS sale.

Also this game looks interesting. The tie-in with FE1-3 is neat. Not a fan of the art style or chibi graphics but everything else sounds pretty awesome. Returning characters would be incredible.

Count me in =3

Smo21

Ive been really interested in playing FE for a while. Should i grab Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon(local store has like 4 copies) in anticipation?

M-PG71C

Ive been really interested in playing FE for a while. Should i grab Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon(local store has like 4 copies) in anticipation?

Frankly, no. I love FE but its the only one I can't seem to finish because its so damn boring. I would truly recommend Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn or Fire Emblem GBA/Fire Emblem Sacred Stones. They are all much better games to start with.

For your first one, try Sacred Stones if you can.

I enjoyed Shadow Dragon but don't let it sour you on the entire series if you wind up disliking it. All of the other localized ones are far above it.

Codeblue

If you have to play Shadow Dragon, you might as well play it first since you won't miss any of the series features that came later.

Just be aware that it in no way represents the rest of the series except the most base mechanics. It's really bare bones, which is something that's to be expected from the first game in the series.

If you want a good entrance point that's more representative of the current state of the series, I'd recommend Sacred Stones or Path of Radiance.

I doubt Xseed or someone else (like Atlus) will publish Fire Emblem. I can understand Last Story, but Fire Emblem is such a Nintendo thing that I don't see Nintendo letting someone else handling their baby.

I do feel good that NoA will eventually bring this over. Maybe they didn't want to take away the hype from Last Story's announcement and generate more buzz by letting NoE announce it first so that us rabid fans here in the US will cry out for it more, like a marketing strategy.

(Maybe I'm reading too much into this!)

Still waiting to see if NoA has any word on this.

Oh, dirty NoA. Scare your fans into marketing the game for you, and then announce a release date after they've gotten themselves all worked up. That's not nice :mad:

Died? Was it damaged or something?

So is there any confirmation on the download characters or is it just speculation?

They confirmed paid DLC in the form of chapters, they confirmed characters from other games, but I don't think they actually said that those characters are the DLC. I think people are expecting extra characters as DLC though because if they aren't DLC, they'll have to be tied into the main story somehow and that would be crazyzzyzy.

Shadow Dragon is not a bad game. It's even a good introduction to the series, seeing as how it's the first game and all, and comes equipped with a new tutorial mode. However, it also lacks things introduced in the later games, like character development and interesting map design, and makes some questionable choices, like having to kill off half your soldiers to get sidequests. This makes people not so crazy about it. It's still a good game though, much moreso if it's your first FE, and it'll teach you the basics of the series. Then, it's all uphill from there. I say go for it.

Codeblue

The site is severely lacking in wallpapers.

After the opening and poking around that site, I think the art style is growing on me. It's not as good as 9 and 10, but I don't think it's terrible anymore.

hatchx

Banned
Anyone find it odd how Fire Emblem, a game only announced in the last six months, is so polished and near release when Paper Mario, a game announced nearly two years ago, is no where to be found?

It just seems weird to me that Intelligent Systems showed off Paper Mario in advance, but kept Fire Emblem (which looks like an incredible jump over previous entries) so secret. They must have just wanted to please North American audiences with the Paper Mario trailer.

Fire Emblem WILL come to NA though guys, don't worry. Just look at it. The production values are through the roof. DLS, co-op, cel-shaded graphics, fully animated/voiced, Nintendo hired one of the top animation companies for cut-scenes....

....they aren't going to skip N/A. If anything, this game sounds like they want FE to rise back to power!

Refugio

Anyone find it odd how Fire Emblem, a game only announced in the last six months, is so polished and near release when Paper Mario, a game announced nearly two years ago, is no where to be found?

It just seems weird to me that Intelligent Systems showed off Paper Mario in advance, but kept Fire Emblem (which looks like an incredible jump over previous entries) so secret. They must have just wanted to please North American audiences with the Paper Mario trailer.

Fire Emblem WILL come to NA though guys, don't worry. Just look at it. The production values are through the roof. DLS, co-op, cel-shaded graphics, fully animated/voiced, Nintendo hired one of the top animation companies for cut-scenes....

....they aren't going to skip N/A. If anything, this game sounds like they want FE to rise back to power!

Man Paper Mario was announced around time the last DS FE was announced. Those games just usually have freaking long development times. While FE games are like 1 every 1-2 years. I wouldn't be surprised if another new Fire Emblem is announced and released before it came out.

Maybe they decided to show off Paper Mario first even though it was further away because it's Mario. Besides, there's always the possibility of delays because they're unhappy with certain elements and what not. Paper Mario on the N64 took what... 4 or 5 years to come out and changed quite a bit.

hatchx

Banned
Man Paper Mario was announced around time the last DS FE was announced. Those games just usually have freaking long development times. While FE games are like 1 every 1-2 years. I wouldn't be surprised if another new Fire Emblem is announced and released before it came out.

lol but I just don't get it.

Where Paper Mario appears to be using old assets and is more or less a sequel, the new Fire Emblem looks incredible and looks like a real jump in terms of graphics/gameplay.

I just don't understand how:

Paper Mario sequel announced two years ago is still in development.

where

Fire Emblem sequel announced 6 months ago and comes out in a week.

I can only be lead to believe Paper Mario has been put on the back burner at Inty Systems or they have some multiplayer, co-op, online, DLC craziness happening with it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
lol but I just don't get it.

Where Paper Mario appears to be using old assets and is more or less a sequel, the new Fire Emblem looks incredible and looks like a real jump in terms of graphics/gameplay.

I just don't understand how:

Paper Mario sequel announced two years ago is still in development.

where

Fire Emblem sequel announced 6 months ago and comes out in a week.

I can only be lead to believe Paper Mario has been put on the back burner at Inty Systems or they have some multiplayer, co-op, online, DLC craziness happening with it.

It's also possible that they showed Paper Mario just to have something to show for 3DS that said "all your favorite Nintendo games will be on the new platform".

I remember when Paper Mario was Super Mario RPG 2 (no, seriously thats what the title screen said). But Paper Mario is rather odd when it comes to development (Super Paper Mario was a Gamecube game, speaking of which FE:Radiant Dawn beat it to release...in Japan, I now forget if Radiant Dawn was announced before or after Super Paper Mario).

Well given the last time they announced a Fire Emblem game before release it looked totally different, even to the point of being mistaken for an N64 game (okay, fine its just one FE fansite that mentioned that and people kept stating it as "FE64 screens"):
2809320040416_160524_12_big.jpg

...I think its best to show something more complete.

Emitan

Like the last Fire Emblem game did?

The last Fire Emblem game was a new, original title on a brand new system?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I could have sworn it was a remake of a SNES game with nostalgic value in the west on a system that had more or less run its course.

Negator

I know what you're trying to say, but honestly, with the way game localizations in the U.S. have been lately can you really blame me?

Top Bottom