• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancelled fan games

Ooccoo

I'm trying to put together a list of fan-made games that have been cancelled. Stuff such as Chrono Resurrection. Anyone care to give some other examples? I have a hard time remembering noteworthy projects that have been axed for legal and/or financial reasons. Thanks

Shadow of Life (FF6 sequel). RIP

dwqpO.jpg

Syril

There was a 2D adaptation of Ocarina of Time that the creator supposedly faked his own death so people would stop asking about it.

There was a Quake 3 DBZ mod that comes to mind. It was pretty cool, but it never had an official release. I think most of these canceled games might be Mods.

Found it. It was called Bid for Power.
Bid For Power is a total conversion for QuakeIII that plays nothing like the original game. Players take control of Ki-powered superheros and battle it out in a mostly aerial fight. The game is highlighted by the work of a great art team and an original style, and the gameplay is extremely fast paced.

BFP started out as a Dragonball Z game, and neared completion as one. We ran into legal problems and had to repopulate the universe with original things. This delayed us quite a bit, but we ended up with a population of unique and cool characters to play.

If you are new to the game be prepared to have a difficult time finding a server. We had about 30 people playing at a time for about a year or two, but it has mostly died out. BFP has also been heavily modified by several different groups using the scripting system, so you may run into compatibility issues.

BFP is no longer under development.

tkscz

There was a 2D adaptation of Ocarina of Time that the creator supposedly faked his own death so people would stop asking about it.

Holy crap that's harsh. I knew Nintendo shut it down, but I didn't know that.

There was a 2D version of Metroid Prime that got cann'd, think the creators lost interest.

No matter how many times you repeat it, people still won't listen and continue going for the pre-game-realease-fame. DO NOT SHOW YOUR GAME BEFORE IT'S READY FOR RELEASE. Seriously, what can a developer do once the file is out there, and if it's given away for free? Sue? Demand money?

JazzmanZ

Streets of rage fan game comes to mind.

The moment they finally finished the damn thing, BAM SEGA gets a cease and desist notice

Deadbeat

Banned
He faked everything about it. All he did was make fake 2d screenshots. Funny as hell stuff.

Also reminds me of some spinoff of Megaman X being made with fan made bosses and Zero finding upgrade capsules with Wily talking to him.

The End

I think it's great practice for aspiring game developers to do this kind of stuff, but by now, everyone should be aware that the actual owners (Square) of these franchises come down HARD on this kind of stuff, with a few (Valve) notable exceptions. The lesson here is simple: Don't announce your unlicensed prequel/remake/sequel until it's DONE.

Ammish

Banned
Lol it was 99% complete and then mysteriously "leaked" to the internet

And none of the creators got sued. Mind this was during the time when Square released the DS port.

Shame that Flames of Eternity team are shitting over Crimson Echoes by their choice of songs (FFVIII boss theme being one) and changing plot points for the sake of making it less dark.

tkscz

Wait, did Nintendo actually shut down that game? I never really followed the project. I always assumed he faked that too.

No think Nintendo sent a cease and desist against the game. Unless I missed something and he made that up too (as there are many MANY more fan games being made about mario, zelda, metroid etc. and none of them have been shut down).

Black Mesa
Wait, when did Valve C&D this?
Like putting a dead animal down

Wait I thought they leaked the near complete version!?

NOOOO
I thought with [CrimsonEchoes] the answer was both. Round the time of the C&D an alpha showed up and then a year or so later a more complete version.

No think Nintendo sent a cease and desist against the game. Unless I missed something and he made that up too (as there are many MANY more fan games being made about mario, zelda, metroid etc. and none of them have been shut down).
It always irks me when a Nintendo IP fangame comes up and everyone is like "oh noes it'll be C&Ded nows" when in fact there is little evidence displaying that (if there is evidence please show it to me).

I'd point straight to Zelda Classic (a Zelda 1 engine) as a perfect example. I'm pretty sure the first and second quests are included and the default graphic-set is the Zelda 1 graphics.

TheMan

There was a Quake 3 DBZ mod that comes to mind. It was pretty cool, but it never had an official release. I think most of these canceled games might be Mods.

Found it. It was called Bid for Power.

holy shit that takes me back...i remember anticipating this for so long

CorvoSol

Squenix shut this down after like years of work when it was almost done. They makers sent Squenix a letter outlining their plans when they started working on it and Squenix still waited until the last minute to threaten to sue.

So if you need proof that Squenix actively hates their fans, there it is.

I dunno, man. I played like, the first half an hour of it. Their take on Magus was just about as horrifically fan-fic as you can get. It was unbearable.

I dunno, man. I played like, the first half an hour of it. Their take on Magus was just about as horrifically fan-fic as you can get. It was unbearable.

Haha. This is why I would never play a fan RPG sequel. Unless it was something gameplay centered like Diablo or Demon's Souls.

Squenix shut this down after like years of work when it was almost done. They makers sent Squenix a letter outlining their plans when they started working on it and Squenix still waited until the last minute to threaten to sue.

It was also the year Square Enix sabotaged Final Fantasy "Fortress" and told GRIN their screenshot of FFXII didn't "look Final Fantasy". Whoever was in charge of Square Enix NA's Legal Departement was on a roll that year.

Haha. This is why I would never play a fan RPG sequel. Unless it was something gameplay centered like Diablo or Demon's Souls.

The game had multiple writers and the middle parts and very last part of it were much better written IMO.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback

Haha wow, now THAT is a blast from the past! I still remember that; did he ever progress any farther than that beta screenshot of Kokhiri Forest and Ghoma, or was that it?

Seik

Banned
God bless GAF for the memories! :D

I remember, I discovered the Chrono Trigger Remake the same week the project was cancelled because of SE.

What. A. Fucking. Letdown.

Nairume

Banned

It is worth noting that, coincidentally or not, the C&D came shortly after one of the people working on the project bragged that their content was significantly better than what SquareEnix put in CTDS and, as I recall, even suggested that people wanting more CT should not bother with the DS port and just wait for their hack.

CTDS had *just* come out and it probably does not do you any good to publicly encourage people to not support the thing you are already promoting its pirating.

It is worth noting that, coincidentally or not, the C&D came shortly after one of the people working on the project bragged that their content was significantly better than what SquareEnix put in CTDS and, as I recall, even suggested that people wanting more CT should not bother with the DS port and just wait for their hack.

CTDS had *just* come out and it probably does not do you any good to publicly encourage people to not support the thing you are already promoting its pirating.

Really? I never heard about that. The game's (out of universe) introduction flat out tells you that it's a fangame and that it shouldn't be taken for canon or perfect, and that fans should buy CT DS to support the series.

Top Bottom