• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins October Previews

Drazgul

I dug the old engine AC's, but couldn't get into Unity at all for some reason (the parkour felt awful, for instance). Did Syndicate improve from it at all, would it be a good play before Origins gets out?

emag

I really hope Origin doesn't need a lot of patching to run well on [base] PS4.

I dug the old engine AC's, but couldn't get into Unity at all for some reason (the parkour felt awful, for instance). Did Syndicate improve from it at all, would it be a good play before Origins gets out?

No. Syndicate has a steadier frame rate and a grappling gun, but its parkour is very similar to Unity otherwise.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Hippos don't play.
2jrESre.gif

I have like 6 AC games in my backlog. lol

Just talking main ones (not sidescrolling spinoffs or DLC), I've got the two current gen ones.

Rogue was also on my backlog, but I started playing it and it was just too identical to AC4 for me (I played a LOT of AC4) and I got bored after an hour or two.

I am looking forward to Origins, since it has a setting that interests me and the gameplay changes are all looking solid.

NKnight7

Neo Member

For me at least, I enjoyed the traversal and movement in Syndicate more than Unity. Based off the previews I've seen it looks pretty good in Origins too. I really liked Syndicate, up there with the second game and Black Flag for me.

Ahasverus

Yeah those monster nests, guarded treasures and monster infested villages told great story. Don't get me wrong i love Witcher 3, it is one of my favorite games but there was bloat there too.
/Optional/ bloat. That was the bottom of the barrel, and you could spend hundreds of hours without doing any of that.

AC meanwhile has caught the habit of forcing you to do dozens of median tasks to advance the story (liberating half of London comes to mind).

Hexer06

Can't wait to get home and check this out. Haven't been this hyped for an AC game in years. Probly gonna play a little bit release day and then wait for that X patch to play the rest.

Theorry

/Optional/ bloat. That was the bottom of the barrel, and you could spend hundreds of hours without doing any of that.

AC meanwhile has caught the habit of forcing you to do dozens of median tasks to advance the story (liberating half of London comes to mind).

Origins changed to a more quest system also.

dreamfall

These beautiful gifs Crossing Eden, I can’t take this wait!

I’m so ridiculously excited. I missed my Assassin’s fix- hell, I’ve been replaying Syndicate just to prepare. The fact that your horse will draw a navigation path from anywhere you place a map marker is grand. The combat looks like a ton of fun - dashing, striking, combat finishers- it completely has a changed a lot of what felt like a counter/kill system of the franchise. The first thing I have to do is turn off those damage numbers, that kills immersion for me baha.

And the world of Egypt is jaw dropping. Every AC title has taken us to stunning locales, and this looks to be my favorite yet (I loved Revelations because I felt Constantinople was the best city they had done). The voice actor for Bayek is phenomenal- I could listen to that man mutter nonsense on screen and be happy.

I am ready. And I need to stop watching footage. I think what I’m most worried about is that levels of enemies might prevent me from exploring in ways that I’d like. I also don’t appreciate that certain enemies can not be killed outright by a stealth assassination from Easy Allies footage. But I’m ready for some awesome new side activities, and some amazing wildlife interaction.

BigEmil

Did not enjoy AC Black Flag, Unity, Syndicate

This one Origins looks the most promising and more fun looking forward to it

I am ready. And I need to stop watching footage. I think what I’m most worried about is that levels of enemies might prevent me from exploring in ways that I’d like. I also don’t appreciate that certain enemies can not be killed outright by a stealth assassination from Easy Allies footage. But I’m ready for some awesome new side activities, and some amazing wildlife interaction.

Are we watching the same footage?

I think one of the major concerns was the ability to assassinate higher level enemies which wouldn't be possible due to the level difference. Though I found out today that it's actually possible. Here's level 13 Bayek assassinating a level 15 commander target. Though I admit that I haven't finished watching it.

wi7Ib3J.gif

Game looks good, I'm probably gonna pick it up in November/December.

I just think the protagonist seem like a non-character though. Completely uninteresting. Hopefully that won't be the case in the game.

Jumeira

Banned
Damn this is the biggest leap an AC game has made since AC2. Love all the info coming out, finally HARD MODE! One of my major concerns was how id always feel overpowered, and as a consequence i wouldnt feel obligated to experiment or get the satisfaction of being challenged. Hope the AI is dynamic and unpredictable, games does look gorgeous though.

Day X for me !

Game looks good, I'm probably gonna pick it up in November/December.

I just think the protagonist seem like a non-character though. Completely uninteresting. Hopefully that won't be the case in the game.
Altair and Connor are the two most interesting protagonists in the series. Ezio bored me, as did the Ezio-lites from the most recent entries.

shimon

I think one of the major concerns was the ability to assassinate higher level enemies which wouldn't be possible due to the level difference. Though I found out today that it's actually possible. Here's level 13 Bayek assassinating a level 15 commander target. Though I admit that I haven't finished watching it.

wi7Ib3J.gif

Well to be fair 2 levels is not much of a difference. I remember in some videos where the difference was like 5+ it was impossible.

Can't remember which of the previews mention it but one of them pointed out that assassinating a high level enemy only damages him a little - the game seems to be designed around the notion that you engage with the open world for skills and levels until you're ready to go after story targets.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Gotten so tired of this franchise and haven't finished Unity or Syndicate but man am I looking forward to this one. I rather not see any more gameplay though.

What are the previews saying? Are they very positive?

Jocund

Gotten so tired of this franchise and haven't finished Unity or Syndicate but man am I looking forward to this one. I rather not see any more gameplay though.

What are the previews saying? Are they very positive?
As positive as most pre-release coverage of Big Publisher games are. Most seem to be genuinely impressed by the scale/general formidability of the world and the breadth of interaction between fauna.

heringer

I really hate the idea of assassinations and main missions being restricted by level. Being perfectly stealthy and not being able to assassinate a target because your level isn't high enough rubs me the wrong way. Mainly because side activity in the latest games were so boring and uninteresting that I dread having to go through that before I can do an actually fun mission.

I dunno, generally speaking, I don't think RPG's and stealth are a good match.

Also, combat looks... kinda janky?

This and the giant snake in the trailer, looks like UBI are giving us a decent slice of cryptozoology

I'm ok with this

Origins is clearly the AC game with the most fantasy elements. Sometimes it looks more like a fantasy than a game based on a historical setting. Not really a problem, although I tend to like more historical accurate represtantations of the past.

Harlequin

No?

But then again, if it's in a trailer then they want you to know it's there.

I think there was one story spoiler in there that I'd rather not have known about. But most people will probably miss it because they don't know the historical figure it involves.

gdt

I’m gonna wait for reviews and especially gaf reception here.

Took a permanent hiatus from AssCreed after 3 left a bad taste.

Good buzz on 4...bought it gave it a chance didn’t like it. Bored to tears.

Good buzz on Syndicate, bought it and same story really. Played like 3 or 4 hours didn’t dig it.

Maybe I’m just done with the series?

I hope this can bring me back in because the setting is great.

Top Bottom