• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why were many 90's games that were cleary designed for children so hard?

PSqueak

Banned
Please tell me more about that, I remember once having a weird level warp in MM on the Mega CD in stage 1 that I could not reproduce.

sure, watch this video, yes i know the title says Sonic, but that's because the dev did the same for Sonic 3D blast and explains the Mickey Mania situation.

The easiest way to do it in MM was in the auto scrolling wheel table section in "The Mad Doctor", you could spam marbles to make the game spawn too many sprites sending you to the level warp screen.

Baconmonk

Everyone already said it, artificial length of a game. It was an accepted practice in the age where arcades still ruled the streets, and created some grueling and excellent games from it. I was young at the time, but I do remember everyone just accepting that a certain level of skill was needed if you were the person beating all the games. These days it just represents time investments.

kevm3

They were fun to me. Games now are too easy. You actually got a sense of accomplishment from beating games back then. It's one of the reasons the Souls series are so popular.,

This. NES games (and even some 16-bit games) are absurdly short. The brutal difficulty covers that up and dramatically extends the playtime, so you wouldn't feel short-changed by your purchase or just rent it from Blockbuster for the weekend instead.

This seems to have left some people with a difficulty fetish you can see in modern games like Dark Souls, but that's a whole 'nother story, lol.

I'd argue that difficulty doesn't really "cover up" the length of a game, nor is it artificial. If you plug in Castlevania and it takes you eight hours to complete the game, it was genuinely an eight-hour long game - it doesn't really matter that an experienced player can power through the game in thirty minutes.

Not to defend poor games like Lion King and Toy Story - but making games condensed and challenging wasn't always a cynical move, nor was it something developers couldn't do because they hadn't figured out how to make more expansive games yet.

koutoru

Artifical length. And I simply had more time back then. I had months or even years with a game to get really good at it.

Thud

Shitty design.

Mickey Mania is a sort of demo they made for Fantasia came out. The hitboxes are especially bad. It had plently of neat cartoons as stages.

Jungle Book is something I couldn't get past the second stage.

TinTin games had that bloody timer lol.

However worst of it all is Hercules (GB). The controls suck.

iidesuyo

sure, watch this video, yes i know the title says Sonic, but that's because the dev did the same for Sonic 3D blast and explains the Mickey Mania situation.

The easiest way to do it in MM was in the auto scrolling wheel table section in "The Mad Doctor", you could spam marbles to make the game spawn too many sprites sending you to the level warp screen.

Holy shit.

Thank you so much for this link. I love to read about stuff like this.

The Lion King and Toy Story weren't hard. They were pretty damn easy compared to everything else at the time. Kid Chameleon had 100 levels with no saving or passwords, I only beat the final boss due to the cheat to get to it from the first zone and that took me more tries than the amount of times I died in any of the modern Ninja Gaiden games.

Eylos

Banned
Everything was rad

giphy.gif

entremet

Imagine being a middle to lower class parent buying a 50 dollar games in the 90s and then your kid beats it in a weekend?

Game companies took this into effect.

iidesuyo

Imagine being a middle to lower class parent buying a 50 dollar games in the 90s and then your kid beats it in a weekend?

Actually I don't think that was a problem. My cousin and I would play Altered Beast and World of Illusion over and over again, and it was fun.

Better than being killed in the same level of the same game because our skills had reached their limits.

will0wis

Wow, this is a great video. Thanks for sharing!

D.Lo

Western designed ones (for kids or adults) often had crappy mechanics, like bad hit detection, stiff and/or laggy controls, slippery physics and badly designed levels. They were hard because they were badly designed, 'unfair' hard games. Comes from the non-professional hobby coder tradition of Spectrum/C64 era where 1-2 people made a game and it got published and distributed for cheap on a tape.

Japanese designed cartoon games were probably not 'for kids' they were 'for everyone' much like Mario. Because Japan had a more mature industry that knew all ages would be interested in eg Disney stuff. That said, some of them may have been hard too, but usually in a more clever way, not crap controls.

Platy

They did not want people renting the game and beating it in a few days.

To artificially lengthen a game.

because games were also an hour long if you didn't fuck up at all

Legacy Arcade game design tactics
Lengthen the game so they couldn’t be beaten in one sitting

Yeah ... and some of those happen till this day.

Like they artifically lenghten a game and sell you a way to make it shorter

Lots of game still have lives and scores that does not need either.

And the famous steam refund fear in indie games is basically the renting one

Soltype

I don't think all games were super hard back then, there were some real tough ones though.People were definitely more willing to put their noses to the grindstone back then though, it felt like people approached it more like a hobby than a distraction.

daTRUballin

I just got done with my playthrough of Rayman 2: The Great Escape on the N64, and even though the game is mostly easy, that final boss fight was one of the hardest I’ve ever experienced. Fuck that battle. It probably took me about 3 hours to beat it and it was stressful as all hell. How were any kids meant to beat something like that?!?! ._.

EDIT:

Western designed ones (for kids or adults) often had crappy mechanics, like bad hit detection, stiff and/or laggy controls, slippery physics and badly designed levels. They were hard because they were badly designed, 'unfair' hard games. Comes from the non-professional hobby coder tradition of Spectrum/C64 era where 1-2 people made a game and it got published and distributed for cheap on a tape.

Japanese designed cartoon games were probably not 'for kids' they were 'for everyone' much like Mario. Because Japan had a more mature industry that knew all ages would be interested in eg Disney stuff. That said, some of them may have been hard too, but usually in a more clever way, not crap controls.

Not all Western developed games were badly designed to the point of being hard. The Donkey Kong Country series for example was very, very tough and wasn’t badly designed and wasn’t considered a bad series. DKC2 is notoriously hard as nails in particular.

D.Lo

Not all Western developed games were badly designed to the point of being hard. The Donkey Kong Country series for example was very, very tough and wasn’t badly designed and wasn’t considered a bad series. DKC2 is notoriously hard as nails in particular.
Of course not all, Rare/Ultimate were always a good example of an exception. But a much higher percentage were.

Xero

They actually weren't that hard back in the day. But people have gotten so used to games spoonfeeding them everything today that it makes older games seem much harder in comparison.

As an example I barely had any issues with Megaman X as a kid, but I tried playing it not too long ago and had trouble beating more than 1 level

this is false, many games were excessively hard and some broken due to poor quality control. Mega man X has never been a very hard game anyways.

I'd argue that difficulty doesn't really "cover up" the length of a game, nor is it artificial. If you plug in Castlevania and it takes you eight hours to complete the game, it was genuinely an eight-hour long game - it doesn't really matter that an experienced player can power through the game in thirty minutes.

Not to defend poor games like Lion King and Toy Story - but making games condensed and challenging wasn't always a cynical move, nor was it something developers couldn't do because they hadn't figured out how to make more expansive games yet.

I get what you're saying, but in some cases they were definitely used to artificially lengthen a game. Since the OP mentioned it, Beethoven's 2nd is a great example of this. It has 4 chapters and two levels per chapter. The current speedrun holder can complete the game in just under 5m. And that's without any glitching. Just rushing through every level since each level can be completed in seconds. The length of the game is entirely built around it being difficult.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
In the book Joystick Nation, JC Herz talks about a kids' game that was playtested so long that the testers kept saying it was too easy and to make it harder, so the devs did, and when it came out it was absolutely brutal and parents were returning it in droves the day after Christmas because the kids couldn't play it. I believe it was from Sega. Has it ever been revealed which game that was? I've always had a suspicion it was Mickey Mania.

iidesuyo

In the book Joystick Nation, JC Herz talks about a kids' game that was playtested so long that the testers kept saying it was too easy and to make it harder, so the devs did

How could they be so stupid. In case of doubt, implement an Easy/Normal/Hard Mode.

D.Lo

How could they be so stupid. In case of doubt, implement an Easy/Normal/Hard Mode.
I actually really disliked selectable difficulty in games. How to know which was the one that it was designed around? Metal Gear Solid and Devil May Cry 3 for example were tuned for what was called 'Easy' in the western releases.

I always prefer games that have internally balanced difficulty selection by scaling up difficulty as you progress, and offering seasoned players a challenge in later and/or optional levels. Easy to pick up, difficult to master. As opposed to having a hard mode where enemies just take more hits, its so cheap.

It's actually one of the reasons Goldeneye was so exceptional, it had three difficulties, but all three difficulty settings were completely re-done and re-balanced, so you could play through the game three times and have three separate experiences.

GamerJM

Banned
They did not want people renting the game and beating it in a few days.

Probably this.

Though the weird thing is that going back to them now as an adult the good ones don't feel designed for children at all. The plethora of fair, but challenging NES games seems like they were designed specifically for a teenage-young adult enthusiast crowd that wasn't a primary target demographic at the time.

8byte

Banned
I think the real answer is just that the industry was young and there were a lot of systems not in place then that we have now.

Development and design have come a long way, it’s important to remember that many of the studios for the first few generation of consoles were new, Young, and inexperienced.

Stoop Man

This is the real answer and has been confirmed by devs

Another reason I heard from devs was that, at least in the NES days, tested the games the programmed themselves, making tweaks as the went along. Eventually the games would be too easy for them so they'd jack up the difficulty. All that testing threw off their frame of reference for the difficulty!

I get what you're saying, but in some cases they were definitely used to artificially lengthen a game. Since the OP mentioned it, Beethoven's 2nd is a great example of this. It has 4 chapters and two levels per chapter. The current speedrun holder can complete the game in just under 5m. And that's without any glitching. Just rushing through every level since each level can be completed in seconds. The length of the game is entirely built around it being difficult.

You missed my point. Difficulty is not any more "artificial" than any other aspect of a game (stage layouts, player toolset / mechanics, enemy design, visuals, audio, etc).

If you play Ninja Gaiden and it takes you six hours to beat, then it was a six-hour long game. That's it. A skilled player can beat it in twenty minutes or less, yes, but the experience of playing Ninja Gaiden is about learning how to make your character successfully interact with their layouts, enemies, and bosses so that you don't get sent back and have to repeat stages. That experience is not "artificial" or invalidated because it is technically possible to beat the game very quickly if you know what you're doing - the process of learning how to play the game properly (which is irrevocably intertwined with the game's level of difficulty) is the content of Ninja Gaiden.

To be clear, I agree that 1) many games were challenging because developers and publishers didn't want players exhausting their games quickly and being bored with them (although there is not anything inherently wrong with this) and 2) there were a lot of bad games back then that were also hard (SNES Toy Story, The Lion King, maybe Beethoven's 2nd). My point is that people frequently frame the difficulty of old games as some kind of crutch, which is a misunderstanding - why people can say "Castlevania only makes the player repeat stages so they don't beat it in twenty minutes" without understanding the value behind being made to repeat stages on death, "Ninja Gaiden's content is artificially gated behind its difficulty" while not understanding that that difficulty is also content, and so on.

iidesuyo

We have lost focus, this thread is not about Ninja Gaiden or Contra, it's more about games aimed at 9+ year old gamers back in the 90's!

KingV

No idea, only game I there I didn't really have trouble with was lion king. It took a bit of practice but then it was definitely not the hardest game I owned. That belonged to spiderman /x-men. God damn was that game annoyingly hard.

Yeah that game was really hard. I really liked the concept of it though.

NES Battletoads has to top my hard list though.

Goddamn that game was difficult. I did eventually beat super,battletoads, but the nes one I think I only got past the speeder bikes once or twice.

Edit: more on topic. I remember playing the shit out of chip and dales rescue rangers as a kid. I eventually was able to beat it, probably one of my proudest gaming achievements to this day, even though it would surely destroy me now.

I think the biggest problem with old games is many of them were hard AND sucked, this is especially true on NES where many many games played in a very rudimentary way, with bad controls, physics that made the character feel crappy to move around, and unfair level design.

To be honest, I never noticed the difficulty. It was hard, yes. But I felt that it was a natural learning experience rather than frustration. I noticed I was far better in playing Sonic, Mario, Tenchu (god damn this game was addictive as fucking hell), Tomb Raider, Resident Evil like one would play Batman: Arkham Asylum back in the day.

Coming back to replay those titles today, it felt different, foreign even, as I was accustomed to the lazy game design of this generation. Even playing classic Tomb Raider (A game which I loved and still proficient though not as good as before), still gives me the sense of "otherness" that I can't beat out of my mind.

I wish I could go back to my mindset back in that era, where I was truly immersed in the game.

We have lost focus, this thread is not about Ninja Gaiden or Contra, it's more about games aimed at 9+ year old gamers back in the 90's!

Then you can sub like Rocket Knight Adventures or Contra: Hard Corps into my post instead. The reasons games like that were difficult are roughly the same whether you're talking about the NES era or the SNES / Genesis era.

s_mirage

To be fair, some of them aren't that bad. Either earlier this year or late last year I put some effort into the Lion King. Over a couple of days I went from awful at it to being able to effortlessly finish the game on its hardest difficulty. I've had a similar experience with Toy Story recently, though that has some difficulty spikes.

The games were hard, but they rewarded repeat play and learning the levels. I remember playing some horribly difficult and unfair games back then, games I wouldn't have the patience for now, but I was glad of that as I only got a console game infrequently. Those games had to last.

Top Bottom