• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 System Software Firmware 4.20

AwRy108

How do people usually charge their Headsets? I usually use it everytime I'm playing my playstation which means that I can't charge it :\

It doesn't charge if the Playstation is in standby right?

I use one of the USB ports on my Wii to charge my PS3's headset. Seems so silly, but not as silly as the PS3's inability to power USB devices when it's turned off.

How do people usually charge their Headsets? I usually use it everytime I'm playing my playstation which means that I can't charge it :\

I connect mine to my PC at night. Same thing with the controllers

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Have you considered looking into a cheap plug-in usb charger that you can leave over night?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Doesn't make sense what you said there. If the PS3 is off how can it charge something from USB?

I assume he meant standby rather than off, but some devices can charge through USB when in standby or sleeping, Macbooks for instance can charge an iPhone if it is plugged in and then you put it to sleep, pretty sure you can also get special USB ports that are always available to charge a device too even when the computer is off too.

AwRy108

If you have "remote start" enabled for Remote Play, then the USB ports stay on. I don't know why they don't advertise this, but it works.

But "remote start" is also busted: enabling it on certain ISP's causes the console to turn on whenever it's randomly pinged. SONY issued a "fix" for this a number of years ago: if the console is started via "remote start" but the remote connection is never made, then the machine forces off the "remote start" feature so the console won't wake up from further anonymous pings. FAIL.

So, yes, enabling "remote start" would be an effective means of constant USB charging, but only for users who don't have issues with the "remote start" feature on their ISP.

But "remote start" is also busted: enabling it on certain ISP's causes the console to turn on whenever it's randomly pinged. SONY issued a "fix" for this a number of years ago: if the console is started via "remote start" but the remote connection is never made, then the machine forces off the "remote start" feature so the console won't wake up from further anonymous pings. FAIL.

So, yes, enabling "remote start" would be an effective means of constant USB charging, but only for users who don't have issues with the "remote start" feature on their ISP.

I had this problem when I had Uverse. By only opening the remote start port on my router, rather than letting making my PS3 the DMZ, it fixed the issue. UPNP would sometimes query the port, making the PS3 think it needed to activate.

AwRy108

I assume he meant standby rather than off, but some devices can charge through USB when in standby or sleeping, Macbooks for instance can charge an iPhone if it is plugged in and then you put it to sleep, pretty sure you can also get special USB ports that are always available to charge a device too even when the computer is off too.

This IS what I meant, thanks for clarifying. My PC has always-on USB ports, which is how I charge my handhelds. I think these types of USB ports are commonplace on most motherboards these days.

Make sure it's plugged in at at night and get (or use) the Automatic Update-feature that comes with PlayStation Plus.

Works for me.

AwRy108

I had this problem when I had Uverse. By only opening the remote start port on my router, rather than letting making my PS3 the DMZ, it fixed the issue. UPNP would sometimes query the port, making the PS3 think it needed to activate.

Any chance you could further clarify and/or point me to some type FAQ for this? I would like to try this, but only if it doesn't change my PS3's NAT type or affect any other devices that access my router.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
so uh, am i crazy or can i not find the sidetone setting?

i can set a option to now put sounds over my speakers and only voicechat over my headset but i see no sidetone option at all.

edit: found this:

For people having problem finding the “Sidetone” option go to:
(Accessory Settings) > [Audio Device Settings], the option is somewhat hided, you have to select your Wireless Stereo Headset and then a option will show up, there you press “TRIANGLE” to make a sidebar appear with the “Sidetone” option you want. Turn that damn thing to OFF and you will be ready to enjoy your headset once again, the way it should be.

Any chance you could further clarify and/or point me to some type FAQ for this? I would like to try this, but only if it doesn't change my PS3's NAT type or affect any other devices that access my router.

I can't find the actual guide I originally used to fix it, but if you only forward the ports at the bottom of this page:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/remotestart.html

UPNP shouldn't query them and it won't wake the PS3 up. Works for me.

patsu

so uh, am i crazy or can i not find the sidetone setting?

i can set a option to now put sounds over my speakers and only voicechat over my headset but i see no sidetone option at all.

edit: found this:

For people having problem finding the “Sidetone” option go to:
(Accessory Settings) > [Audio Device Settings], the option is somewhat hided, you have to select your Wireless Stereo Headset and then a option will show up, there you press “TRIANGLE” to make a sidebar appear with the “Sidetone” option you want. Turn that damn thing to OFF and you will be ready to enjoy your headset once again, the way it should be.

Yes, this is how you access the Echo Cancellation feature for assorted PS3 microphones, like PSEye also. Took me a while to find it.

If you have "remote start" enabled for Remote Play, then the USB ports stay on. I don't know why they don't advertise this, but it works.

Make sure it's plugged in at at night and get (or use) the Automatic Update-feature that comes with PlayStation Plus.

Works for me.

Cool, I didn't know this. ^_^

patsu

Still waiting for an update where i can sort my trophy list by % completed. Would be great to be able to see all my platinums in order as opposed to having to scroll to each one.

The Playstation website has more sorting options for trophies. Unfortunately, you can't sign in to the Playstation website with the PS3 web browser. For some reason, it always loop back to the sign-in page after you entered your PSN id and password. You'll have to use a PC/Mac or iOS/Android to do this.

gblues

Banned
How broken is it ?

- You cannot set parental controls per-user. The block is in place system-wide.
- When parental controls are in effect, you can't see the names of the games that are blocked. So if you want to play a blocked game, you'd better know exactly where it is in the list!
- Parental controls are assigned numeric levels, similar to DVD parental controls. There is no way to know which level a game uses without putting it in the system and hitting triangle on the disc icon before starting the game. It isn't printed on the game case. And some games don't even implement parental controls, so you either allow all such games or no such games.

Shikoro

Found another hidden change.

When you receive a message with no subject, the message's subject becomes the entire text from the message.

This is especially useful with messages you receive from a PS Vita, since you can't add subjects to those.

#gamechanger

Seriously, great feature. :D

magawolaz

Found another hidden change.

When you receive a message with no subject, the message's subject becomes the entire text from the message.

This is especially useful with messages you receive from a PS Vita, since you can't add subjects to those.

That's... actually useful.

KalBalboa

Banned

Works for me.

Yeah, this is what I do.

But man, the PS3 should have allowed for charging when the console turned off from day one. My assumption is that it's a hardware thing rather than something firmware update-able.

patsu

- You cannot set parental controls per-user. The block is in place system-wide.
- When parental controls are in effect, you can't see the names of the games that are blocked. So if you want to play a blocked game, you'd better know exactly where it is in the list!
- Parental controls are assigned numeric levels, similar to DVD parental controls. There is no way to know which level a game uses without putting it in the system and hitting triangle on the disc icon before starting the game. It isn't printed on the game case. And some games don't even implement parental controls, so you either allow all such games or no such games.

There is a chart on the net that maps ESRB and PEGI ratings to the numeric values.
e.g., For PEGI: http://legaldoc.dl.playstation.net/ps3-eula/psn/e/e_rating_en.html

I can't find the ESRB mapping at the moment (Used to know it. ^_^).

I suspect Sony uses this numeric scheme because PS3 games are region free. You can import games that use a different scheme (or no scheme).

Using the mapping from the net, you can know the parental control number of any game based on its say.... ESRB or PEGI rating or something else.

However if the number is not printed on the game case, it may mean the game does not implement parental control (e.g., imported games). So the catch all option will apply (block or unblock games with no parental control level).

I agree Sony should implement popular rating systems into the UI, instead of forcing parents to look up the numbers. PEGI, ESRB and CERO (?) ratings should be used together with the numbers.

And yes, the local user account system is broken. Different people should have different view of the file system, based on parental control and other privacy settings.

They should also allow sub accounts to be upgraded to full accounts as children grow up.

In my family, we set up parent control for my son's PSN account when he was 4. By 6, he would use his mom's account to play games, bypassing the parental control completely. He also guessed my iOS lock code. So accounts are not necessarily safe also as the kid grows up. >_<

These days I keep all my mature stuff on my Vita. The PS3 is now all family media.

Raoh

I charge most of my accessories through my pc since they are on all the time.

Either my laptop or pc are closer to me than my consoles so it made more sense to charge through those than the actual consoles where I would have to get up to grab the accessories as opposed to having them within reach.

Which pissed me off about the 360 because the play and charge kit wouldn't charge on the pc.

03sho

Grouped up 584 save files and pressed the delete button. 20 mins later I am still sitting and waiting for it be be deleted.

My the#%£& does it take so long?!

DryvBy

I wish I could organize my Cloud saves better. When I first got it, I just uploaded everything like a nub. Now I want to just backup saves that matter (Red Dead, GTA, MGS stuff). It's pathetic I'm out of space.

Good update though. Glad I can multi-copy them to a thumb drive.

Wow only took me 7 minutes from start to finish. Sony must have spent a lot of money upgrading their servers or something. Lightning fast!

Can anyone verify if XMB in general is a bit faster than before?

After doing the update it seems like everything is much more responsive. In-game XMB, pulling up photos, games or videos and how quickly their thumbnails load...almost everything is much faster.

It really seems like they optimized from the last update - or perhaps optimized for my hard drive specifically (using a Seagate Momentus XT).

Can anyone verify if XMB in general is a bit faster than before?

After doing the update it seems like everything is much more responsive. In-game XMB, pulling up photos, games or videos and how quickly their thumbnails load...almost everything is much faster.

It really seems like they optimized from the last update - or perhaps optimized for my hard drive specifically (using a Seagate Momentus XT).

Looks the same to me.

Did you free up some HDD space recently? That really speeds up the XMB anytime it accesses anything in the HDD. Also if your downloading something in the background it slows it down.

patsu

lol

What was wrong with "Eject Disc"?!

Hidden support for virtual disk (aka cloud disk) ?

EDIT: Yeah, I didn't notice any speed improvement in XMB. Things in the web browser appear to render more instantly (after a slight pause) compared to 4.10.

May be the firmware install also defragged or fixed his file system.

Shinriji

I just turned my PS3 on and in the PS+ automatic download it said to me that downloaded the firmware 4.21, but when I check on System Information it is still on 4.20.

EDIT: And there is the 4.21 avaliable again to download. Scary.

I just turned my PS3 on and in the PS+ automatic download it said to me that downloaded the firmware 4.21, but when I check on System Information it is still on 4.20.

Ps+ downloads the patches but doesn't install them. If you start the update process you'll see that it skips the download part entirely.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

wouldn't that only be an issue if you have 'enable over internet' turned on? Shouldn't touch your ISP if you're only remote playing on your LAN

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Yup, same here, wonder if it is just a fix or something else, it didn't have any notes attached.

Top Bottom