• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biden disses Clinton: ‘I never thought she was a great candidate. I thought I was...'

btrboyev

The fact that a woman of her pedigree and expertise isn't a great candidate is just a sad reality of modern American politics.

She wasn't a good candidate because she is not well liked as political person. Add in people were sick of her and her husband.

If she was president right now and Repiblicans had the house and Senate like they do now, she would already have impeachment process going.

Hillary is not good at campaigning but she would have done an excellent job being the President.

She is a policy wonk and that's what she is good at, would have done a good job.

But when it comes to running and campaigning; that's a different story

Kin5290

Clinton is a bad retail politician, but fuck off, Joe Biden, you're the last person who should talk.

Joe Biden would be nothing but a sad joke with two pathetic excuses for presidential primary campaigns if not for the fact that 8 years of being Barack Obama's foil papered over most of his more serious flaws.

Hillary wasn't a great candidate, but the reasons why were more or less out of her hands. If you take away the decades of slander and misrepresentation to look at her policies and experience, she's one of the most qualified candidates that has ever run for the presidency.

Clinton is a bad retail politician, but fuck off, Joe Biden, you're the last person who should talk.

Joe Biden would be nothing but a sad joke with two pathetic excuses for presidential primary campaigns if not for the fact that 8 years of being Barack Obama's foil papered over most of his more serious flaws.

The fuck?

Joe Biden was in charge of the ARRA that single handedly saved the US from implosion.

Randam

Weren't there more reasons than just his son?
Didn't the dems ask him not to run, so Hillary could become the candidate?

Or am I mixing things up with the primary and Sanders?

Sapiens

Why do people want to believe that hillary would be so irresponsible as to doubt obamas birth place?

Any ways, fuck Hilary though. Why run a seemingly reluctant misanthrope 2008 primary loser in the general? Why??

I like Biden a lot. He would have beat Trump. Oh well.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
If you thought you were such a great candidate, then you should have run,

Diamond Joe putting his foot in his mouth again.

TarNaru33

Banned
I like how he thought she wasn't a great candidate, but decided not to run or to try backing someone he thought would of been a great/better candidate. No offense to the guy, but I still would have ran if I thought I was a great candidate compared to my colleague, even if a family emergency came up.

I don't understand why all these big named people after Hillary lost are now saying "yeah, I figured she wasn't a good candidate". We had a clear person to back against Trump with the rise in populists and he would of been better specifically for the Rust Belt states and independents.

Oh well. I just don't get why say it now, not backing anyone during the primary as if you are not half responsible for it lol.

Hillary wasn't a great candidate, but the reasons why were more or less out of her hands. If you take away the decades of slander and misrepresentation to look at her policies and experience, she's one of the most qualified candidates that has ever run for the presidency.
That's the problem. Rust belt voters most likely didn't read up on the candidates and blindly hoped Trumps rhetoric was just bluster and that he'd grow up. "He gonna bring back da coal jobs, fox news!! Woooo, build a wall" and all that dumb shit. Not to mention the known white women that publicly stated that they wouldn't vote for a woman and just flat out voted for a misogynist that looks at them as either trophies or just things to grab and now their reproductive rights are being dissected by a group of old crusty fetus chewing Republican douche bags.

Many Sanders backers are often there because of 'charisma' and 'likeability' and not because of policy or positions.

Lol. What? Sanders ran his entire campaign on policy and positions. Free public college tuition. Single-payer healthcare. Anti-TPP. Higher minimum wage. New Glass-Stegal.

btrboyev

I like how he thought she wasn't a great candidate, but decided not to run or to try backing someone he thought would of been a great/better candidate. No offense to the guy, but I still would have ran if I thought I was a great candidate compared to my colleague, even if a family emergency came up.

I don't understand why all these big named people after Hillary lost are now saying "yeah, I figured she wasn't a good candidate". We had a clear person to back against Trump with the rise in populists and he would of been better specifically for the Rust Belt states and independents.

Oh well. I just don't get why say it now, not backing anyone during the primary as if you are not half responsible for it lol.

She was the nominee, he choose not to run. He isn't going to say anything negative during the campaign.

American voters are really childish when it comes to voting.

instead of voting on credientials and experience; they rather vote on charisma and personality

digdug2k

I'm not sure Biden would have been much of a candidate either. The Right hated Obama and basically equated Clinton with him. Biden is a even closer tie. Fuck though, the guys been VP for 8 years now, and all I really know about him is that his son died, and he likes to touch women. I... really don't think that would have gone over well this year.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
He is right, and I think he is saying this to plant the seeds for a run in 2020.

I agree with him, but he didn't run. There are understandable, justifiable reasons why he didn't run. But: he didn't run. So, great candidate or not, we didn't have the opportunity to vote for him.

Hillary made some mistakes along the way, but she was clearly a better candidate for Trump and clearly would have made a good president.

I mean...this is kind of fair. A lot of people assume Biden was some amazing politician who easily could have beaten Hillary "if only Obama didn't tell him not to run." All of that is false. We've seen how his previous runs ended. He's one of the most undisciplined major politicians of the last decade. And to tie into that, he has a knack for gaffes. What would happen if BLM interrupted one of his events...I can imagine him saying something that would hurt him.

2016 was certainly a unique year in terms of having two distasteful nominees, whereas people "like" Joe Biden. Do I think he would have beaten Trump? Yes, no doubt in my mind. But it's a moot point because he wasn't a good enough politician to become the nominee. Beating the Clinton machine is hard. You're running against two people and a host of media. I don't see how he could do it. And I love the man but...yeah.

Why do people want to believe that hillary would be so irresponsible as to doubt obamas birth place?

Any ways, fuck Hilary though. Why run a seemingly reluctant misanthrope 2008 primary loser in the general? Why??

I mean, Biden was also a losing candidate in 2008. 0 delegates. In all likelihood, he wouldn't had made it out of the 2016 primaries either.

dramatis

Lol. What? Sanders ran his entire campaign on policy and positions. Free public college tuition. Single-payer healthcare. Anti-TPP. Higher minimum wage. New Glass-Stegal.
I wasn't talking about Sanders. If you are a Sanders backer that would be more okay with Biden than Hillary, then you are not about policy or positions, you are about 'likeability'.

Characterizing Hillary as a misanthrope is an indication of your hatred for her.

Magwik

Banned

instead of voting on credientials and experience; they rather vote on charisma and personality
The media treats it like a popularity contest
Most watch the media

If nobody covered Trump 24/7 the right wouldn't have been so obsessed with some dumb fucking idiot.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Dude has been great. He pushed a lot of liberal stuff behind the scenes (such as gay marriage) but had that folksy charm of Willy Clinton. His image oozes working class and would have played very well in the Rust Belt.

Normally I would say his gaffes would have sunk him, but in 2016 that clearly doesn't matter.

dakini

As much as I like Joe, he already ran for president twice and it didn't pan out. And in a year where Hillary struggled to prove she was a progressive, Biden was to the right of Hillary.

I wouldn't even base it on that. Trump was a petty vengeful fucking archaic meme tier douche bag of an asshole with no motherfucking scruples that would stoop low enough to publicly insult and tease a handicapped writer, someone with more credentials than him to run for office and still found a way to stoop lower than that. Trump got voted for by certain people just frankly because he was the dude with an (R) next to his name and put up support blinders because of it and that's not even going into how ignorant, racist, homophobic, "fuck you got mine" and whatever else you can consider the more aggressive Trump supporters are.

She's too heavy on the patronizing, and simply generally unlikable, to me. He clarified and said she'd be a good president, but not a good candidate. I agree 1000%.
Yeah that's the problem with our election system. It rewards charisma over capability.
Edit: I see this has been covered.

phanphare

Banned
I wasn't talking about Sanders. If you are a Sanders backer that would be more okay with Biden than Hillary, then you are not about policy or positions, you are about 'likeability'.

it should be assumed that sanders supporters would have still supported sanders during the primary. once that was done, however, it would be less about policy and more about who could beat trump. biden would have had a better shot against trump. it stands to reason that sanders supporters would have preferred biden as president to trump aka they would have preferred biden to hillary. I don't see anything wrong with that mentality.

Yoda

As much as I like Joe, he already ran for president twice and it didn't pan out. And in a year where Hillary struggled to prove she was a progressive, Biden was to the right of Hillary.

I'd say they were both centrist democrats with Hiliary being more of a hawk/pro-intervention than he was. Biden wouldn't have had the CGI weighing him down, so the perception of being owned by the donors wouldn't have existed for him.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
too old, but i guess its never too old to drop another L in a primary

I like Biden but I hope not. Not to be ageist but he's just too old. Jason Kander or somebody else young needs to the nominee.

To be fair, the nation may be desperately needing an experienced hand with a good track record after this disaster we are seeing now.

I love Kander, but he didn't even win his own state's election.

Probably. But he choose not to run himself. So little point in saying things like this now. It's not like they shut him out from running.

jWILL253

Banned
A large part of politics, beyond actual political competence, is being charismatic. Hillary was a good politician but she had almost 0 charisma.

Last election was basically a loudmouthed jock versus a bookworm, and surprise, people went for the boisterous idiot.

It's like our election was decided by characters from The Walking Dead.

This is basically what happens if Kenny & Ben are allowed to vote.

The media treats it like a popularity contest
Most watch the media

If nobody covered Trump 24/7 the right wouldn't have been so obsessed with some dumb fucking idiot.

the voter is too lazy too research the policy positions of each candidate on issues that affect them; we are in the age of Google for fuck's sake.

Now Trump voters are afraid of losing Obamacare? dumbasses

Top Bottom