• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the Sony developers up to

Pachimari

I actually made a list with more than 100+ developers and their current project which a moderator approved but nobody showed interest when I asked if anybody wanted the tread. :(

waypoetic

Banned
I hope the Uncharted-team over at Naughty Dog is (and has been) working on the next Uncharted game - for the PS4 - since the release of UC3. Can't wait to see how next-gen Uncharted looks and plays like!

Globox_82

Banned
I hope the Uncharted-team over at Naughty Dog is (and has been) working on the next Uncharted game - for the PS4 - since the release of UC3. Can't wait to see how next-gen Uncharted looks and plays like!

I would like new IP first, and then take what they have learned from TLOU and another new IP and bring it to U4, 2-3 years into console life. It would be insane. But U4 is a no brainer. It is a system seller. So 99.9% it is U4 they are working on.

Globox_82

Banned
BAWR5M2CIAACs5u.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/SuckerPunchProd/status/289798162913304577/photo/1

Those dev kits behind then look huge, are PS3 dev kits that big or is it someting else?

KAL2006

Banned
As glorious as the bolded would be, Activision has the IP.

Would definitely like to see them give Jak a shot though.

It all depends on Sly, if that is a success I can seem them just working on a sequel for that.

I also wonder what the team who made Sports Champions 2 are going to do. If PS4 doesn't have motion controls at launch and I doubt Sony want to market casual motion games early in the PS4s life, so will they just continue to make Moce games for PS3, while PS3 is out.

I want to see Killzone 4 at e3 :(

I love KZ multiplayer for some insane reason, it reminds me of the clusterfuck that was steam combat

I think GG are too quiet on KZ4. If the game is in production for whatever system, PS3 or PS4 they should get the hype train rolling. It isn't a series like CoD or Halo that will get millions of sales even with a late announcement. They really need to get the community involved early on with feedback too since KZ3 was a misstep.

AOC83

Banned
I think GG are too quiet on KZ4. If the game is in production for whatever system, PS3 or PS4 they should get the hype train rolling. It isn't a series like CoD or Halo that will get millions of sales even with a late announcement. They really need to get the community involved early on with feedback too since KZ3 was a misstep.

They can´t announce anything before the PS4 is revealed, they have to wait for Sony.

They can´t announce anything before the PS4 is revealed, they have to wait for Sony.

I guess they could announce they are working on the next KZ without going into platforms and just get feedback on what the fans expect and want to see. There is a big thread of ideas and suggestions on the KZ forums but last I looked absolutely no response from the devs. I don't think they are the type of devs who can afford to do that, sine they've made a couple of mediocre games, one critically acclaimed game and followed that up with a disappointment.

wouwie

Don't know if it was already posted but Paul Rustchynsky from Evolution said this about 2013 in an interview:

We're working on something new - something very big and very challenging and VERY exciting - and while I'm not allowed to talk about it just yet, that's definitely what I'm looking forward to this year. You can expect to hear a lot more about it in 2013!

Not unexpected but nice to hear. Can't wait to see what Evolution is doing with next gen.

Don't know if it was already posted but Paul Rustchynsky from Evolution said this about 2013 in an interview:

We're working on something new - something very big and very challenging and VERY exciting - and while I'm not allowed to talk about it just yet, that's definitely what I'm looking forward to this year. You can expect to hear a lot more about it in 2013!

Not unexpected but nice to hear. Can't wait to see what Evolution is doing with next gen.

Sounds like a new IP. That's what I wanted to hear.

DBT85

This is cool.

Do we know if the guys from Liverpool ended up at Evolution or not? Both teams merged to make one supreme racer could be epic.

rawd

Maybe it will be a launch title

Do we have any idea what Q Games is up to? Pixeljunk Shooter was released almost two years ago. I imagine whatever they have working must be a larger title. Do they still have a deal with Sony?

tha_devil

I'm sure it'll be a new IP. MotorStorm didn't exactly set the world on fire to get a continuation into next generation.

With motorstorm they tried a lot of different things, im not even sure what direction they could go.

Although i loved the destruction in part 3, i just really missed the atmosphere and multiple path direction from the first game (i know part 3 has also multiple paths, but in the first game if you took the wrong road you could be really f*cked).

On the other hand, i think motorstorm could really profit from the power of ps4, to get the graphical fidelity of the infamous ps3 cg trailer.

Motorstorm is a quality series so I look forward to Evolution's new game. That being said, I would like to see their talents in a different genre altogether.

The launch could potentially be one of the best in console history. Sony own so many first party studios now, all of which are very reliable when it comes to delivering top quality software. Imagine a scenario where we get a game from Evolution, Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch and Sony Santa Monica all on launch day. Then Uncharted 4 and GT6 within the first year. Crazy.

Not to mention stuff by Ready at Dawn and Quantic Dream (Team 2) which I assume is PS4.

That would be so dumb. Sony should space out its releases so there would not be drought later on. Look what happened with the software on the Vita. It was one of the best launches ever, by the following months there was a severe software drought.

tha_devil

That would be so dumb. Sony should space out its releases so there would not be drought later on. Look what happened with the software on the Vita. It was one of the best launches ever, by the following months there was a severe software drought.

Its no a problem because there will be many multiplatform games (call of duty, AC,fifa etc.)

But i agree all 4 of them on launch day would be dumb, maybe 2 on launch day, and 2 games within the following 3 months.

With motorstorm they tried a lot of different things, im not even sure what direction they could go.

Although i loved the destruction in part 3, i just really missed the atmosphere and multiple path direction from the first game (i know part 3 has also multiple paths, but in the first game if you took the wrong road you could be really f*cked).

On the other hand, i think motorstorm could really profit from the power of ps4, to get the graphical fidelity of the infamous ps3 cg trailer.

Destruction Derby is the ideal series for Evolution Studios to show off what the PS4 can do. Online bowl mode would be a sight to behold.

But in terms of Motorstorm yes, look back to the FMV of the original and make it as close to that as the PS4 allows.

Its the same with Wipeout, look back to the 2097 FMV and aim for that style in real time.

Into

I hope Santa Monica continues to make action games but tries a different style than Greek inspired stuff from GoW.

Gran Turismo 6 is a must for me, the day it releases is the day i buy a PS4, no questions asked.

I would love for Naughty Dog to make a platformer, but more like Crash 1, 2 and 3 and not so much like Jak games were.

They dont have to do another trilogy, just 1 of these, 1 Uncharted and maybe down the line The Last of Us sequel (if the first one ends up being great and does well).

A Legend of Dragoon sequel or bringing back Dark Cloud would be welcomed as well

Its no a problem because there will be many multiplatform games (call of duty, AC,fifa etc.)

But i agree all 4 of them on launch day would be dumb, maybe 2 on launch day, and 2 games within the following 3 months.

But the 2 games would Cannibalize each other, and the software won´t be profitable, especially since there will be a plethora of third party games launching on the Orbis and Durango.

Shahed

I don't get why one of Sony's first parties haven't made a big WRPG yet. I big RPG is one of the more notable holes in their library

Destruction Derby is the ideal series for Evolution Studios to show off what the PS4 can do. Online bowl mode would be a sight to behold.

But in terms of Motorstorm yes, look back to the FMV of the original and make it as close to that as the PS4 allows.

Its the same with Wipeout, look back to the 2097 FMV and aim for that style in real time.

I'm baffled why Evolution didn't go that direction for Motorstorm 3. If they'd just added cockpit view and night racing to the established formula instead of all the stupid stuff it would have been glorious.

thuway

:D

I don't get why one of Sony's first parties haven't made a big WRPG yet. I big RPG is one of the more notable holes in their library

They're very expensive to develop and aren't a particularly bankable genre. Look at something like Mass Effect. I'm not sure about ME3's numbers, but the first two games sold 7m combined as of April 2011. That's not bad or anything, but a single Uncharted game can pull in 5m units.

Derrick01

Banned

Yeah I don't get it either. They're a big reason why 360 did so well this generation....well, games like ME and Elder Scrolls that masquerade as WRPGs at least. Supposedly Guerrilla is working on one but I seriously doubt they know how to make a proper WRPG.

I still think they should contract Obsidian and get them to make an exclusive game. Could you imagine what Obsidian could do if they were given the kind of support Sony gives to all of their studios, including incompetent studios like Team Ico? Hnnnghhhh

Shahed

They're very expensive to develop and aren't a particularly bankable genre. Look at something like Mass Effect. I'm not sure about ME3's numbers, but the first two games sold 7m combined as of April 2011. That's not bad or anything, but a single Uncharted game can pull in 5m units.

I'm not saying they should make them instead of something like Uncharted. Uncharted fills that genre quite well and they should keep that going. What I'm saying is once they've filled in certain genre's, instead of overlapping in the same space with another studio, they should go after a market they don't have yet (3rd parties not withstanding).

I agree it's a risk, but imagine if something like Mass Effect or Skyrim could only be played on Playstation? It'd be more worthwhile than another FPS or something

Yeah I don't get it either. They're a big reason why 360 did so well this generation....well, games like ME and Elder Scrolls that masquerade as WRPGs at least. Supposedly Guerrilla is working on one but I seriously doubt they know how to make a proper WRPG.

I still think they should contract Obsidian and get them to make an exclusive game. Could you imagine what Obsidian could do if they were given the kind of support Sony gives to all of their studios, including incompetent studios like Team Ico? Hnnnghhhh

I'm quite looking forward to Guerilla's new IP if it is indeed dark fantasy

Dusky

Not sure if this has been posted already but it looks like Sony Bend's next title could feature multiplayer based on a job listing: http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx/viewjobrss.asp?cjid=32221&accountno=345

SCEA's Bend Studio has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Staff Network Programmer!

This Senior Staff Network Programmer will build and maintain client/server systems that provide highly scalable and secure online services for console and mobile platforms. Develop AMP-based core system services that address the needs of the studio and the online products it supports while maintaining high security, cost efficiency, and expansion capabilities.

I'm not saying they should make them instead of something like Uncharted. Uncharted fills that genre quite well and they should keep that going. What I'm saying is once they've filled in certain genre's, instead of overlapping in the same space with another studio, they should go after a market they don't have yet (3rd parties not withstanding).

I agree it's a risk, but imagine if something like Mass Effect or Skyrim could only be played on Playstation? It'd be more worthwhile than another FPS or something

I wasn't suggesting that they'd have to choose an RPG or Uncharted. My point was that they're just expensive, take a long time to develop and aren't guaranteed to put up amazing numbers. Look at something like The Witcher 2. It's sold a little over 2m units, and it received a ton of hype and attention. It certainly did well for CDP, but it along with Mass Effect show just how big the gap is between the big boys (basically Bethesda RPG's) and everything else.

Certainly it would be much more preferable than another FPS or TPS. I think everyone is tired of Sony making games in those genres. And i'm not at all against them making RPG's. I was just giving a reason on why they haven't.

Shahed

I wasn't suggesting that they'd have to choose an RPG or Uncharted. My point was that they're just expensive, take a long time to develop and aren't guaranteed to put up amazing numbers. Look at something like The Witcher 2. It's sold a little over 2m units, and it received a ton of hype and attention. It certainly did well for CDP, but it along with Mass Effect show just how big the gap is between the big boys (basically Bethesda RPG's) and everything else.

Certainly it would be much more preferable than another FPS or TPS. I think everyone is tired of Sony making games in those genres. And i'm not at all against them making RPG's. I was just giving a reason on why they haven't.

I get your point and I understand why they haven't. I know it's risky business and that if a game like that fails then it could be costly. it's just that on the other hand if they get a breakthrough game, it could be more useful than say 2 or 3 other new IP's put together.

Because while I do rate Sony's library over most other publishers, a game in that area (or another gap in the catalog) is kind of what they need. Sure it could fail, but sometimes you have to take risks in order to elevate your own standing to another level

Most likely to be another Vita Uncharted. No surprise it will have MP. I wonder if cross-play with Uncharted 3's MP is possible since it's going F2P. Could be interesting.

I think they are working on Syphon Filter for the PS Vita and a sequel to Syphon Filter 3 for the PS3.

The latest issue of Playstation Official Magazine UK is now available everywhere, with the November 2011 edition sneakily hinting that Uncharted: Golden Abyss developer SCE Bend is secretly hard at work on a new iteration in the Syphon Filter franchise.

[...]

The ambitious project is described as ”hush hush” and falls in line with previous rumors pertaining to a new title in the long-running series – another rumor currently doing the rounds is that a full-blown sequel to Syphon Filter 3 is currently in development over at SCE London Studio, with the highly anticipated title gearing up for a PS3 release in Winter 2012.
http://sillegamer.com/2011/10/01/sc...-syphon-filter-for-ps-vita-opm-november-2011/

i bet we'll get a handful of "WHAT THE FUCK" moments at E3 when we find out that some of our favorite teams are working on stuff that's totally unexpected. that's how i felt when it broke out that ND wasn't working on a new J&D game. and then we saw that first trailer for uncharted and my jaw dropped.

Top Bottom