• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: Xbox One 40x More Powerful Than 360 with the Cloud, Only 10x Without the Cloud

DRM actually isn't the first reason, they already have DRM

And yes I am being accurate

And no I am not referencing the Sim City stupidity which is EAs own dumbass fault

You guys are thinking so narrow or "they're always out to get me"

Fact is, console -> cloud assisted computation -> game done entirely in the cloud

Industry will do cloud assisted because there's a ton if things holding games back that 99% of the populace dont even realize and that there is some very time sensitive/latency sensitive things that need to be done locally. (Like combatant AI)

This is why I say cloud initially will be used to greatly enhance the experience until later where it completely changed everything. The enhancements are where it starts.
Even enemy AI stuff doesn't sound asynchronous enough for this to work.

Edit:
I will never be proven wrong on this
Are you implying you've got insider knowledge on this?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Can a game journalist please fucking push back on these claims and get them to detail how the fuck this could potentially work in any meaningful fashion considering the bottlenecks of cloud services.
I can't resist:
9D6kqHZ.jpg

---

Someone please do it

Simpsonology

Neo Member
"“It’s also been stated that the Xbox One is ten times more powerful than the Xbox 360, so we’re effectively 40 times greater than the Xbox 360 "

Sure Microsoft, we believe you. Also they sure seem to like number 40, their controller also has "40 design changes".

Durante

Doesn't Diablo 3 do this? In terms of enemy placement, composition, loot, and even some AI?

It introduces latency into single player sessions, which sucks, but it seems like it could serve a positive game purpose if so desired.
That's actually a good comparison: Diablo 3 doesn't do that to lower the processing load on your local system in any way (and it doesn't) -- it's exclusively a DRM measure. And in turn you get latency in single-player games and a title that is unplayable for the majority of its customers for over a week (not that they were missing much in hindsight).

SRTtoZ

Doesn't Diablo 3 do this? In terms of enemy placement, composition, loot, and even some AI?

It introduces latency into single player sessions, which sucks, but it seems like it could serve a positive game purpose if so desired.

Is that why Diablo 3 lags like a bitch for the first few minutes of playing every session?

Fistwell

Gakai render a entire game in the cloud, so why you guys can´t believe that some parts of the game can be rendered or processed by a cloud?
Not sure if serious.

Latency is too big to make "the cloud" be only helping a little in rendering. It's either rendering the entire frame, which is then transfered to your console over the network, or it's limited to doing other contiguous calculations, possibly AI routines and such, processes required to output updates at a significantly lower frequency.

Can someone give DF a ring, I'd love to read what they have to say about this horseshit.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I really need examples. Or even just one. If it's such a big part of your system, show it!
Pretty much only latency neutral stuff could be done in the cloud. Which, to my knowledge, there is not a lot of in most popular games except maybe simulations or RTS, which are not big on consoles.

Guevara

Can a game journalist please fucking push back on these claims and get them to detail how the fuck this could potentially work in any meaningful fashion considering the bottlenecks of cloud services?

"We're going to get into specifics later. Don't miss our presentation at E3!"

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I'm in tears here, absolutely amazing corporate buzzword bullshit, how they can keep a straight face I have no idea.

I for one look forward to the day my single player game AI opponent starts suffering from packet-loss related rubberbanding :D

He's some terms to learn about for for those still maintaining any irrational belief that this isn't bullshit or is in anyway meaningful:

Frame latency in milliseconds for a 60fps game: 16ms
Average net latency for a round trip to internet servers...: much greater than 16ms
Watching Microsoft flail in the way that they are post reveal: priceless!

Can a game journalist please fucking push back on these claims and get them to detail how the fuck this could potentially work in any meaningful fashion considering the bottlenecks of cloud services?

I don't think they can. I think that Microsoft is using it like snake oil :/

I can't figure out how they'd use slow ass online storage space, "the cloud", to make graphics or AI better.

The cloud is flavor text while ram or gpu are actual, quantifiable impacts on performance.

Haha, you know anyone who can get close is just gonna take the bullshit.

That's just scratching the surface. How the fuck are devs going to code their games for some variable pie in the sky processing bullshit? If it ever goes offline in the future, the entire X1 library dies. Jesus what a clusterfuck.

Raide

Until they actually show a good use of this Cloud stuff, it will remain a farfetched ideal. I am not calling utter bullshit on their plans but they would have to convince people with something tangible and good.

That's actually a good comparison: Diablo 3 doesn't do that to lower the processing load on your local system in any way (and it doesn't) -- it's exclusively a DRM measure. And in turn you get latency in single-player games and a title that is unplayable for the majority of its customers for over a week (not that they were missing much in hindsight).
Yeah, I wouldn't describe what its doing as extending the "power" of PCs playing the game, but that offloading could make way for MMO-like events and dynamic tweaks to each gameplay session that could add some flair. Maybe the game does something special for your birthday, or puts special settings into effect on holidays, whatever. Or new enemies and items and abilities could be streamed into the game. Mod support too.

None of that seems like secret sauce or POWA though.

I for one look forward to the day my single player game AI opponent starts suffering from packet-loss related rubberbanding :D
Play Diablo 3 on PC. That day has come.

EvB

Can somebody who knows there stuff give some examples of non-latency dependent game processes?

I can understand that thine things you see on screen must need low latency, but what kind of things don't?

Bedlam

No, because most of them have no fucking clue and will eat up every bite of horseshit that PR feeds them.

Well, now we know why EA is partnering with MS. SimCity: The world's best cloud centered game made better on XBox one.

I'll be expecting my check from EA and MS in a week.

Danielsan

I doubt any game journo is willing to hit them over the head with this bullshit. Something about biting the hand that feeds you and all that.

Zen

Banned
By the way i'm a computer engineer and i work with realtime graphics at the Puc- Rio de Janeiro university Brazil

Gaikai is rendering the entire game remotely and transferring the frame to you, that's completely different than running part of the game locally and part of the game (still having to be real time presented by the local hardware when it gets back mind you) rendering it on servers somewhere is huge latency and an upload rate that isn't feasible for most of the world.

No, because most of them have no fucking clue and will eat up every bite of horseshit that PR feeds them.

They'll just snark it on a podcast where it's safe, sigh.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I got it now. 1 Microsoft cloud=3.6 Teraflops. Games running at 240 fpprs (frames per PR shit). All of them available for the platinum subscription (1$ per frame)

I really hope they use the cloud technology for Forza, the day 1 buyers deserve that.

tfur

You wouldn't add an additional 285k servers just because so I would hope they have some proof that what they're saying works on some level.

They are just piggy backing off of their Azure installation.

There is nothing new that Azure does in comparison to other cloud computation services.

This is all deflection PR, and marketing for their services and pay walls.

MrBud360

Procedural textures can be created by the cloud and sent to XBone to be used on an texture. Procedural Geometry can be calculated and passed to the XBone via cloud. XBone can continue to render the game while its catching the textures and geometry calculated by the cloud.

Top Bottom