• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I cannot wait to get my hands on Odyssey, it just looks so damn charming.

The ๖ۜBronx;251683484 said:

Just because you don't think it is a 10/10 doesn't mean the score is controversial.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The ๖ۜBronx;251685179 said:
You can keep replying as much as you like, it won't change the fact that I just posted my opinion on a game saying that I don't think it's on-par with the rest of the list. Already said I can see how other people like it a lot, don't take it personally.

I said it wasn't a controversial opinion to give TLoU a 10 and you replied with a gif of Jennifer Lawrence looking shocked. If you are not willing to put your thoughts into words, don't be surprised if people take your post another way, we are not mind readers.

Oh and just because I am replying to you, does not mean I take it personally, this is Neogaf get over yourself.

Majora

Was Wolfenstein reviewed in this same issue?

No, this is the full list of scores.

Mario - 10
Destiny 2 - 8
Absolver - 8
Marvel v Capcom - 6
Steamworld Dig 2 - 8
Project Cars 2 - 8
Divinty: Original Sin 2 - 9
Starfox 2 -5
Metroid Samus Returns - 6

It's not that weird, they haven't done a true 3D Mario game since Galaxy.

cdc.jpg

From the 10/10 is hyping me up, and I don't even own a switch. I want to see other reviews and what the edge review says but the wait for more reviews is hyping me up even more.

Davey Cakes

Nintendo is BACK!

but never left to me ��
Of course they didn't leave. BUT, they've become refreshingly confident recently. They've gotten WAY better at marketing. They've gotten WAY better at putting a lot of money into their largest projects. They've learned to go big or go home. They've learned to listen to fan feedback.

Basically, we've always had great Nintendo experiences but we could be entering another Nintendo Renaissance, here, if they play their cards right.

Imagine if we see Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon, and a new Animal Crossing with the same levels of ambition and push as Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, and Mario Kart?

This could get REALLY good for us. Better than ever, even.

I hope Super Mario Odyssey has a nice salt-related scene because it'll very useful very soon judging by this thread. Zelda had the "Rock Salt" one and it was great.

they sympathize with poplar and loved franchises of nintendo, the games you listed are ignored by most nintendo fans

BOTW is one of the greatest games i have ever played and possibly in my top 5 of all time, it got a score of 97 in MC while The witcher 3 got 92 ? wtf ? Witcher 3 is obviously the better game, not just in my opinion, but in general, Witcher 3 is the best game released in the last decade, most people agree to that, so why did it get 92 while BOTW got 97 ??

smash 4 got 92MC, the same score as The witcher 3 and Bloodborne and there is barely any difference from Brawl, mario kart 8 got 88MC even though it's the same thing as MK7 but with better graphics, 3D World got 93 and it's not even 3D, all those games don't deserve those reviews, i bet if sunset overdrive was a Nintendo exclusive it would have gotten a 90MC

Nintendo games get high scores with simple effort (except for Zelda)

Lol oh man this thread is a trip.

Remember guys, we are here to discuss Super Mario Odyssey and the 10 it has from Edge. We are not here to explain why BotW in our opinion should not get a 10 or why The Witcher 3 is so much better cause of this or that.

None of that. Only Odyssey.

Cuburt

Odyssey taking a turn back to the openess of SM64 definitely seemes like it would be something special.

I think this is the game that many, including myself, have really been hoping for from a 3D Mario for years.

What does Witcher 3 being one of the greatest games of all time, and The Last of Us being a meh game with some good character work have to do with this?

Anyways, I'm so glad I went all in on the Switch. Hopefully, two all-time great gaming experiences in my first year with it, and my first Nintendo console since the SNES.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Mario - 10
Destiny 2 - 8
Absolver - 8
Marvel v Capcom - 6
Steamworld Dig 2 - 8
Project Cars 2 - 8
Starfox 2 -5

Glad they know how mediocre Star Fox 2 i s

Lilo_D

they sympathize with poplar and loved franchises of nintendo, the games you listed are ignored by most nintendo fans

BOTW is one of the greatest games i have ever played and possibly in my top 5 of all time, it got a score of 97 in MC while The witcher 3 got 92 ? wtf ? Witcher 3 is obviously the better game, not just in my opinion, but in general, Witcher 3 is the best game released in the last decade, most people agree to that, so why did it get 92 while BOTW got 97 ??

smash 4 got 92MC, the same score as The witcher 3 and Bloodborne and there is barely any difference from Brawl, mario kart 8 got 88MC even though it's the same thing as MK7 but with better graphics, 3D World got 93 and it's not even 3D, all those games don't deserve those reviews, i bet if sunset overdrive was a Nintendo exclusive it would have gotten a 90MC

Hahahahahahaha.... gaf just never disappoint me

Jesus christ grow up.

Recall

Are you in marketing?

Tunoku

Mario - 10
Destiny 2 - 8
Absolver - 8
Marvel v Capcom - 6
Steamworld Dig 2 - 8
Project Cars 2 - 8
Starfox 2 -5

Man, a minus 5 for Starfox 2 is a little harsh.

tkscz

cdc.jpg

From the 10/10 is hyping me up, and I don't even own a switch. I want to see other reviews and what the edge review says but the wait for more reviews is hyping me up even more.

I mean, even Nintendo says Galaxy wasn't a 3D Mario in the sense of Mario 64/Sunshine. Still a great game though.

LordRaptor

2bSGCPz.gif

No surprise.

Mario games tend to score well as a whole and to be fair they also tend to be very well made games. Yes, nostalgia and a general affinity for certain franchises often helps to inflate scores a tad but who really cares if a game scores a 9 versus a 10?

What matters is that we are getting yet another outstanding game in an already jam-packed year of great software.

Also, I think the SWITCH is the best console Nintendo has released since the SNES.

Hopefully they can keep this momentum going.

Kinsei

Banned

What?

When console wars go too far.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I think my wife is going to be upset when I keep throwing hats around the house, at her, at the cat, at the lamp, etc.

What does Witcher 3 being one of the greatest games of all time, and The Last of Us being a meh game with some good character work have to do with this?

Anyways, I'm so glad I went all in on the Switch. Hopefully, two all-time great gaming experiences in my first year with it, and my first Nintendo console since the SNES.
Your taste is so bad...

Disgusting!!! Lol

As someone who has subscribed to a lot of UK magazines since the 90s, thats not true. Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Mario Galaxy, BotW etc have been adored by plenty of other multiformat UK magazines over the last twenty years.

I've been with EDGE since the start and their bias and love of Nintendo was clear from the start. Also, remember how EDGE went against the what the reviewer actually scored Skies of Arcadia (it was 9 before it went to print) and how PSO never got a 10 (even though the review reads a 10) was beyond me.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I mean, even Nintendo says Galaxy wasn't a 3D Mario in the sense of Mario 64/Sunshine. Still a great game though.

Nintendo didn't mention anything about 3D or such, the point was "end of level goal based" vs freeroam, dimensions have nothing to do with it

jariw

Mario - 10
Destiny 2 - 8
Absolver - 8
Marvel v Capcom - 6
Steamworld Dig 2 - 8
Project Cars 2 - 8
Starfox 2 -5

EDGE isn't the first place where I've heard Steamworld Dig 2 being the better game compared to Metroid Samus Returns.

Wamb0wneD

You do need to do fetch quests and solve boring puzzles to make cumbersome and frustrating design choices less cumbersome and less frustrating.

Happy with that explanation?

Also, I don't find alternative ways to fight enemies more effective than using flurry rush.

I've killed 3 guardians. One had legs.

It was piss easy.

No I'm not because as stated earlier I encountered 6 or so fetch quests in all 90 hours of gaming I did. The puzzles are boring because they are the turorial puzzles. You have no clue how other shrines are because you didn't play them.

Flurry rush only is most effective when it comes to time, not whent it comes to weapon durability. Again, maybe use stasis on a rock or tree trunk and shoot it into the enemies, maybe just roll a boulder from somwhere into them, maybe use your stasis to hover a metal object to your enemies while lightning strikes so they get hit by it. Maybe use your bow.
But if they are so piss easy what's cumbersome about combat?

I'll stop this now because it's just derailing the thread.

No surprise.

Mario games tend to score well as a whole and to be fair they also tend to be very well made games. Yes, nostalgia and a general affinity for certain franchises often helps to inflate scores a tad but who really cares if a game scores a 9 versus a 10?

What matters is that we are getting yet another outstanding game in an already jam-packed year of great software.

Also, I think the SWITCH is the best console Nintendo has released since the SNES.

Hopefully they can keep this momentum going.

Is already happening. Mario Odyssey GOTY confirmed.

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

I hope Super Mario Odyssey has a nice salt-related scene because it'll very useful very soon judging by this thread. Zelda had the "Rock Salt" one and it was great.

Luncheon Kingdom spoilers:
there's a segment where you turn into meat and you have to jump around in salt to cover yourself and attract a bird's attention so it grabs you and throws you in a stew.

LOL bruh..

I cant wait till the actual review embargo is up lol. My goodness

Cpt Lmao

Due to mechanical ineptitude, Witcher 3 doesn't even come close.

Wamb0wneD

Fucking lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom