• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

TikeMyson

I don't remember him ever kicking ass, but no, no nerfs to speak of. The community just figured out that the other Titans had a better balance of survivability, versatility, and DPS, and moved away from him as a result.

I wanna play where you're playing.

Glad you're enjoying it. When everything comes together, I don't think there's a better shooter out there as far as raw gameplay mechanics. Just wish those perfect storms of everything coming together happened more often. As it stands, they happen just enough to keep you dedicated to getting the next hit.

Maybe beginners luck. Or I'm just used to the BF1 numbers. In some really unlucky rounds the score ends like 1000 - 400 or 1000 - 500. The worst in TF2 in my tiny 2 hour experience was a 400 - 500 loss.

Maybe beginners luck. Or I'm just used to the BF1 numbers. In some really unlucky rounds the score ends like 1000 - 400 or 1000 - 500. The worst in TF2 in my tiny 2 hour experience was a 400 - 500 loss.

Haha, maybe.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks Respawn may have tracked down my gamertag and as punishment for all the (admittedly, very harsh, probably unnecessarily so) criticism I've leveled at the game, they've ensured that I am ONLY paired with the worst players against 6-stacks on private chat.

lol

monarch is boooooooooring though

Why?

If anything, the fact that she has no defensive capability to speak of, makes every run a thrill, since you're basically counting on dealing enough damage to earn your next core and refill your shields for one more gasp. And then another. And then another.

And if you're good, you can snowball out of control into a borderline unstoppable killing machine with more health than a Orge frame titan, monster missile clusters, and just ludicrously powerful smoke bombs.

JFC at the average TitanFall 2 player.

Just.... dear god, how do these fucking brain dead farm animals manage to put their pants on in the morning without help.

These are the two tenants of Titan combat for the average TitanFall 2 player:

1) I see a teammate shooting at an enemy. I will not flank. I will not cut off routes. I will step IN FRONT OF MY TEAMMATE, absorb his stream of ammunition, protect the enemy, and inevitably die.

2) I see a teammate shooting at an enemy. I will not flank. I will not watch the rear. I will go up RIGHT BEHIND HIM, like a retarded schnauzer humping a table leg and ENSURE, that if he needs to boost backwards in retreat, he cannot, and we will both die.

3) I'm helping! Oh no, I pooed myself again...

giphy.gif

Yeah, that's enough for today.

Drewfonse

I'm seeing a lot of love for Northstar. I'm going to play in a bit, and have never played as NS. Just watched a video detailing top tips. Any last words of advice?

Why?

If anything, the fact that she has no defensive capability to speak of, makes every run a thrill, since you're basically counting on dealing enough damage to earn your next core and refill your shields for one more gasp. And then another. And then another.

And if you're good, you can snowball out of control into a borderline unstoppable killing machine with more health than a Orge frame titan, monster missile clusters, and just ludicrously powerful smoke bombs.

2 main things; I'm not good enough to consistently get her 2nd core, let alone her 3rd

not having a cool active ability for her core is disappointing

Embedding video files isn't supported on GAF. If you upload them to sites where you can grab or get served the video URL (ex. mixtape.moe) people can open the link in a new tab and use their browser's media player to view it. Those who have the Youtube Me Again! script installed will have the link turned into an embedded video.

Embedding video files isn't supported on GAF. If you upload them to sites where you can grab or get served the video URL (ex. mixtape.moe) people can open the link in a new tab and use their browser's media player to view it. Those who have the Youtube Me Again! script installed will have the link turned into an embedded video.

YouTube will give you embedded video if you are on mobile and have the option turned on in your gaf profile settings.

I hope they have some balance issues like g2 and phase shift in this patch tomorrow cuz I'm not sure how much longer I can enjoy this game as it is now.

Between g2 spam on ever rooftop and whole teams of phase shifters in PvP. I have been getting extremely frustrated with the game.

YouTube will give you embedded video if you are on mobile and have the option turned on in your gaf profile settings.

I hope they have some balance issues like g2 and phase shift in this patch tomorrow cuz I'm not sure how much longer I can enjoy this game as it is now.

Between g2 spam on ever rooftop and whole teams of phase shifters in PvP. I have been getting extremely frustrated with the game.

Oh yeah I forgot about the mobile option.

G2 and Phase Shift nerfs should be in tomorrow.

I don't think the fact that the phase shift change was in the HTTK mode indicates that change is coming one way or the other, to be honest.

I'd like to see it but....

Speaking of the AMA, here's the compilation: https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/6p20en/organized_compilation_of_respawns_answers_in_the/

Some interesting tidbits in the matchmaking section. Apparently you can get matched up in a different data center than the one you choose as long as the ping is similar. I don't know anything about multiplayer servers so could this be a reason for the sometimes crazy pings/teleporting players?

Also, Glitch is just as likely to get chosen in Attition as all other maps??

Speaking of the AMA, here's the compilation: https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/6p20en/organized_compilation_of_respawns_answers_in_the/

Some interesting tidbits in the matchmaking section. Apparently you can get matched up in a different data center than the one you choose as long as the ping is similar. I don't know anything about multiplayer servers so could this be a reason for the sometimes crazy pings/teleporting players?

That, and people manually changing datacenters. I wish we had a strict setting where Im only matched in games on my DC.

Also, Glitch is just as likely to get chosen in Attition as all other maps??

It came up twice yesterday. I nearly died of shock, but its still weighted too low if Crash Site and Complex are still coming around frequently.

Drifters

I don't think the fact that the phase shift change was in the HTTK mode indicates that change is coming one way or the other, to be honest.

I'd like to see it but....

People hurt over PS not getting a nerf simply need to adapt and start using it. Much like the Hemlock, Volt, G2, etc. etc. etc.

I've been using PS since Day 1 and the amount of applications it has along with fast health regen while abhorrent takes some skill since the phase trails are fairly easy to track. I will also state that if people have to augment their load outs, they will and it will be just as readily available as having two-charges.

Arrrammis

People hurt over PS not getting a nerf simply need to adapt and start using it. Much like the Hemlock, Volt, G2, etc. etc. etc.

I've been using PS since Day 1 and the amount of applications it has along with fast health regen while abhorrent takes some skill since the phase trails are fairly easy to track. I will also state that if people have to augment their load outs, they will and it will be just as readily available as having two-charges.

That's not the point. If one tactical ability with a nonexistant skill floor is that much more useful than every other ability, then there is a problem. Much like the Hemlock, G2, Devotion, R97, etc etc. etc. there should not be something that outshines the other weapons to a degree where the only "counter" is to also use that weapon.

The only tacticals that I think should have two charges are holo pilot and grapple, because they don't have any direct effect on the battle. They don't give a player bullshit invincibility, don't boost speed and hp regeneration, don't give them a one-sided shield, and don't highlight other players through walls.

Marc

Stopped playing for a while but got a PS4 Pro recently and wanted to try it out again, still looks great but much crisper/smoother.

Were there major changes that affected play style or something? I played with the flatline and was getting smacked, found it got nerfed so switched back to the trusty 201 but still getting smacked. I understand being rusty but I used to be top 3ish and get 20+ kills (die a lot too tbf), with the odd great match. Not sure why the Flatline got nerfed, for the very best who could account for its shite accuracy I imagine it was overpowered but doubtful many were good enough to ensure that. Now its just inaccurate and wussy.

Admittedly I played PVP more often, but its really hard to find a game now so now apparently all I can play is Attrition (which is just a mess imo). Played a lot in recent days but not improving in the slightest, if anything a bit worse. :D New map syndrome for some of it but just checking, probably just shit. :) Trying the Monarch, good fun but yeah seems too weak for an average player like myself... well... below average now.

Giving up and trying to get becomes the master trophy instead now, managed to get 34 seconds after hours and felt like I was at my limit. Going to be tough!

Arrrammis

Stopped playing for a while but got a PS4 Pro recently and wanted to try it out again, still looks great but much crisper/smoother.

Were there major changes that affected play style or something? I played with the flatline and was getting smacked, found it got nerfed so switched back to the trusty 201 but still getting smacked. I understand being rusty but I used to be top 3ish and get 20+ kills (die a lot too tbf), with the odd great match. Not sure why the Flatline got nerfed, for the very best who could account for its shite accuracy I imagine it was overpowered but doubtful many were good enough to ensure that. Now its just inaccurate and wussy.

Admittedly I played PVP more often, but its really hard to find a game now so now apparently all I can play is Attrition (which is just a mess imo). Played a lot in recent days but not improving in the slightest, if anything a bit worse. :D New map syndrome for some of it but just checking, probably just shit. :) Trying the Monarch, good fun but yeah seems too weak for an average player like myself... well... below average now.

Giving up and trying to get becomes the master trophy instead now, managed to get 34 seconds after hours and felt like I was at my limit. Going to be tough!

Flatline got buffed and later nerfed back so it's pretty much the same as it was at launch IIRC. In general getting the movement down is one of the hardest things to relearn IMO, so if you focus on that you might find yourself doing a little better.

I had the same experience as you in that I recently just got back into Titanfall 2 after a few months and was getting smacked around (still do a lot of times). Like Arrammis said, it's about getting used to the movement mechanics again, and map knowledge will come naturally. It's also worth noting that the overall skill level across the population has gone up.

I agree that's what players who want peak performance should do (or rather, need to do). I have no problem with players exploiting issues in the meta to maximize their success. I certainly did it for MONTHS, just eating people alive with Ion while everybody was distracted by Tone's imbalance. I had a Devotion+AWall loadout on hand for awhile just in case I got frustrated and said 'fuck it, I'll just cheese this to win'.

But it's incumbent on the developer to balance the sandbox such that all or most of the tools are viable.

In Respawn's defense, few weapons are truly USELESS right now, which is an improvement from launch.

There's just a HUGE drop-off from the S-tier weapons and abilities down to the A or B tier. As far as the weapons go though, with the exception of the G2, almost all the best or 2nd best weapons in every class are the starting weapon. So it's not like anybody is screwed by the progression system out of competing....

The problem with phase shift is that it has a very low skill floor, and a very high impact on combat. You pair phase shift with tactikill and faster battery recharge, and most competent, aggressive players are going to have a phase shift in the bank at all times. A constant 'get out of jail free' for bad positioning and getting out-gunned.

Now, the smart ass in me would argue that phase shift is balanced by Respawn's declining net code performance, because it feels like every 3rd time I use it, I get shot mid-shift or have to wait an extra half-beat just for it to kick in. But that's hardly a solution, that's just two problems colliding.

I think a longer, slower-to-refill single charge IS a good compromise, because it forces the ability into defensive usage. Right now, I use phase shift very aggressively, to cross distances between myself and enemies with a range-weapon advantage, or to bounce around titans in close while firing charge shots. I always have the second charge to GTFO of dodge, so I almost always use the first charge as an attack option.

If I only have one charge, and it's slower to refill, I'm going to save it to save my life and use the extra 'phase' time to get further away from my enemy. At which point, you've basically reset the engagement and can try to e-engage or flank or just move on to another enemy, only you've burned your ability for a bit.

Monarch nerf lol

$25 for all weapon warpaints lol

Orge titans having a dash from the go is such a huge plus. Jeezus

SMG nerfs for medium to long ranges is great

Nice change to Titan Hunter

Aim assist changes sound good

Wish the melee lunge would just delete itself

No Archer tweaks = trash

Scorch is getting buffs up the wazoo

Drifters

That's not the point. If one tactical ability with a nonexistant skill floor is that much more useful than every other ability, then there is a problem. Much like the Hemlock, G2, Devotion, R97, etc etc. etc. there should not be something that outshines the other weapons to a degree where the only "counter" is to also use that weapon.

The only tacticals that I think should have two charges are holo pilot and grapple, because they don't have any direct effect on the battle. They don't give a player bullshit invincibility, don't boost speed and hp regeneration, don't give them a one-sided shield, and don't highlight other players through walls.

So, I get that, but you're stating that PS is just auto-cheezwhiz based on the fact that it takes zero skill? I wouldn't say it takes any less skill than wall running coherently but that's just me.

Marc

Flatline got buffed and later nerfed back so it's pretty much the same as it was at launch IIRC. In general getting the movement down is one of the hardest things to relearn IMO, so if you focus on that you might find yourself doing a little better.

I'm not very good at working those things out but seemed a lot worse than it was. I was having to unload whole clips due to the guns inaccuracy combined with my own admittedly poor inaccuracy. Although I'm against nerfs in general, prefer buffing others to bring in line so just moaning. :) Doing better with 201 but still nowhere near as good. I did end up becoming focused on phases shift, and does seem like I'm dying a lot when trying to use it (dying after shifting) but assumed my ping dropped or something. Maybe the smaller player base means matching to other servers more. Mostly just used phase shift to get away to mid-range.

I have always sucked at the movement to be honest, been more of a runner and gunner since day one. I just find it way too hard to accurately shoot while flying around. That's why I'm trying to do the Gauntlet to "git gud". I find that its just muscle memory though and not me getting more accurate while shooting and jumping/wall running. But if I try to learn it against real players, I'm just going to get chewed up more than I am.

I had the same experience as you in that I recently just got back into Titanfall 2 after a few months and was getting smacked around (still do a lot of times). Like Arrammis said, it's about getting used to the movement mechanics again, and map knowledge will come naturally. It's also worth noting that the overall skill level across the population has gone up.

Maybe the less dedicated players have all gone ("noobs") and I'm just playing against better players now, and my running and gunning is no longer possible. Yeah, makes sense.

I just need to commit and get my skill level up through the gauntlet I guess. I'm just better generally as a mid-range shooter and now it seems either long range sniping or in your face shooting is the best methods. Long range sniping in this game though just seems to miss out on the fun of the game. And twitch based jumping around like a loon is not my strong point.

Might need to start looking at the SMG's.

Thanks for the help guys! Looking at that incoming DLC and really excited about it, co-op mode is going to be great. Amazing value for this game, just can't convince people to buy it. I think the skill level required is pretty high and off-putting, especially now. Surprised respawn don't try and make this a competitive game, would be entertaining as hell to watch and I'm not a fan of "esports".

Wish they had gone through with the HTTK changes instead of the half steps with reducing damage med to long range. The diversity in weapons wont be the same when HTTK was in.

Yeah, they're definitely selling XP boosts. Respawn, how about not tying these with cosmetics? That would be great and wouldn't seem sleezy.

Arrrammis

-Nose arts from advocate gifts may now be obtained from advocate gifts

OK then, finally! Not sure what caused this not to happen, it was really strange.

These Scorch buffs are welcome, but damn, I still think it's his primary that needs an improvement. An extra shot or even faster thermite travel time would help a ton as it's so easy to dodge. I guess the larger flamewall width helps with his DPS? Either way, I hope he's a lot more valid now.

Chris1

Not a fan of xp boosts being essentially buyable but given the post launch DLC & how they've handled microtansactions so far I'll give them a pass since it doesn't sound too bad.. And it sounds like there's no new achievements for FD?

Monarch nerf lol

$25 for all weapon warpaints lol

Orge titans having a dash from the go is such a huge plus. Jeezus

SMG nerfs for medium to long ranges is great

Nice change to Titan Hunter

Aim assist changes sound good

Wish the melee lunge would just delete itself

No Archer tweaks = trash

Scorch is getting buffs up the wazoo

Given my Monarch loadout, I'm even sure I'll notice that nerf much.

Agree that the lack of archer tweaks is a major oversight..... actually, it's a problem given the new titan hunter mechanic. Archer does obscene damage with a low skill floor. You pair a Titan Hunter with an Archer, you'll have a Titan in like 5 shots.

JaMarco

I'm perfectly fine with XP boosts being tied to payable content considering XP doesn't affect anything gameplay-wise.

Thank God for the freaking melee nerfs finally.

Hope the G2 nerf is good enough.

Lol @ another Flatline nerf, they should just delete that gun at this point.

Top Bottom