• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - |OT| The truth about 8.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
gV4uGNz.png

29titbU.png

uuFzOnj.png

Title: Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy
Platform: PlayStation Vita / PlayStation Vita TV Compatible
Release Date: 06-05-2015 (EU) / 06-09-2015 (US)
Genre: Dungeon RPG
Player(s): 1
ESRB: M Mature 17+
Price:
Standard 39.99 USD / Limited Edition 54.99 USD
Standard 29.86 GBP / Limited Edition 54.99 GBP
*Standard price is from Amazon.uk, was not listed on official NISE store page.

76pXmDd.png

hMLXUJV.png
8EcfvxN.png

1SM41QR.png

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - Official Trailer 1
Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - Xth Initiation
Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - CPA Orientation

pExPywD.png

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - First mission and introduction (ENGLISH)
Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - Twitch Footage

Recorded footage from the JP version

3jdrbTJ.png

25e86wv.png

*OST comes in a cardboard sleeve, not an actual CD case like the LE.

vczWAka.png

cRVlWY9.png

Limited Edition includes the following below.
Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy for PS Vita
8″ x 11″, 112-page softcover art book
16-song, single disc original soundtrack with jewel case
Collector’s box

Artbook
N8OOJ4j.jpg

cBmr1uJ.jpg
zpiLxau.jpg
sQIfnVY.jpg

Fe49dDR.jpg
eb1pJq1.jpg
eZXZDrf.jpg

*From the JP version

9dGZRKM.png

DLC consists of the following below.
  • Swim Team Xth Squad Portraits

Content: 6 additional female characters in swim suits and each with 3 different color variations.
    Price: $0.99/€0.99 from June 9 (June 5 EU)
    Bonus Content
  • Dark Hero Portraits

Content: 6 additional characters and each with 3 different color variations.
    Price: Free until July 9 (July 5 EU), $0.99/€0.99 thereafter
  • Content: 2 type of items that will help the players to start off the game.
    Power Recorders (x3) – Let’s player save anywhere inside the Abyss.
    Hachi’s Workout Pack – Raises all enemy levels by 5.
    Price: Free until July 9 (July 5 EU), $0.99/€0.99 thereafter
*Thanks to Gematsu for this information.
Y6vXQPh.png

#1:
Q: What type of game is this?
A: Its a first person dungeon crawler which is a remake of the Generation Xth series that was, based off of the Wizardry Xth series. Experience Inc. the developer, first person dungeon crawlers is pretty much all they make.

#2:
Q: Im new to dungeon crawlers should I buy this game?
A: Game is not overly difficult. While there is some difficulty starting out as with any DRPG due to low stats / poor equipment, once you get things rolling with leveling up and better equipment things do get easier. But the game will put up a fair challenge at times to make things enjoyable. Though there are some game system mechanics that might not be well explained which can leave new users a bit confused. Though feel free to ask questions here if that does occur. If you want something else that has been released in the West by the same company check out "Demon Gaze". Click on the name to go to the |OT| for that game.

#3:
Q: Does this game have any connection to other series?
A: Yes its connected to the XTH series, which also includes Cross Blood. Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss take place before Operation Babel and Cross Blood. For more general information about the series please visit the Experience Inc. community thread that has general information on the various series.
"Experience Inc Community Thread"

#4:
Q: Does this game have Japanese voices or is it dub only?
A: Unfortunately not, while we do not have specifics on the issue, apparently development wise it was not possible to include the JP voice track. So this title is dub only.

#5:
Q: The Monk and Conjurer are not available from the start of the game?
A: Unfortunately not, you will unlock those 2 classes later as you progress in the story.

5sPAYj3.png

#-1:
Q: What is the difference between "Classic and Basic" mode at the start of the game?
A: Classic mode, is the original artwork used in the series for the player characters, that are fully customizable by the player when creating characters. Equipment will also be visible on your characters in the status and icons due to the "paperdoll" like system it uses for the graphics. Though story characters will still use the new redone artwork. Examples of Male and Female characters in the 2 images below. Though these are from Cross Blood, but it gives the general idea of the variations you can create.
Male avatars on the left, Female avatars on the right.
Example of the status screen showing visible equipment on your character. Though this is taken from Cross Blood a different game in the series. But the general idea is the same.
Basic mode is what everyone has seen up until now which is the newly redesigned artwork for the character portraits. Example below.

#0:
Q: What is this Curry Item? It seems to heal HP, should I be using these?
A: Save those and do not use them. If you do use them / buy and use up all the ones in the shop you will regret it later. You can find them in the following dungeon & defeating this specific enemy
Xth Subway dungeon, defeat the Robot PDs

#1:
Q: Can you please explain what the general stats are for with the characters?
A:
  • STR - Effects physical damage rating for the main hand. Generally higher the STR the higher potential damage output is.
  • WIS - Wisdom helps raise the damage rating for spells and effectiveness. Most important stat for the Wiz / Aca. This also effects the Academists ability to unidentify items and Brain Spike's success rating.
  • SPI - Spiritual helps boost the effectiveness of healing and support spells. Most important for the Phys, Wiz, Aca. Also effects the Academic's success raiting with Brain Spike.
  • PHY - Physical directly effects the amount of HP gained when leveling up. One of the most important stats for all classes. Also effects resistance to 1 hit kill type of attacks.
  • SPD - Speed effects Evade & Miss Chance, turn in combat and also increases the damage rating for off hand weapons for classes that can dual wield weapons. This status is important for the Samurai, Monk and Assassin. But benefits any class that you wish to increase their turn in combat.
  • LUK - Luck effects various things but the main purpose of it would be raising resistance against bad status effects and dealing bad status effects which include 1 hit kill type of moves done by the Samurai for example. It also effects crit rate and is important for specific WIZ, HEAL, PSI codes. Luck also effects the damage output of non-elemental magic such as the Wizards Atomic Work? code.
XP40Ps8.png

#2:
Q: Am I able to respec status points if I do not like how my character turned out?
A: Unfortunately this game has no way to respec character status points, so do be careful when leveling your characters. The only option to redo your choices is to make another character and level it up again.

#3:
Q: What are the alignments for? Do they really matter in my character selection?
A: Evil / Neutral / Lawful alignments in the character creation generally effect 3 main things.
  1. The type of blood codes you can equip.
  2. The type of equipment that can be equipped.
  3. Your teamwork rating with other team members. Generally Evil and Lawful do not go together well, therefore the rating will not rise as fast. Neutral can work with either.
    *Items that are locked away be either character gender or alignment can be equipped using special plugins that remove those restrictions. Trying to wear them without having said restrictions removed will cause the item to be come "bugged" which causes the player to become unable to remove it, till you go back to the lab and "debug" the specific piece of equipment.

General idea of the whole teamwork rating is the following

Lawful - Lawful: 0 - Neutral: 5 - Evil -10
    Neutral - Lawful: 5 - Neutral: 0 - Evil: 5
    Evil - Lawful: -10 - Neutral: 5 - Evil: 0

Though honestly, would have to check the US manual if it has more detailed information on this. As am not totally sure myself with how the system works exactly in further detail. I didnt pay much attention to it myself as for me it had little to no impact on my overall playthough haha.

#4:
Q: I do not understand the Miss Chance, Defense and Evade numerical ratings?
A:
  • For Miss Chance and Evade the lower the numerical value the better.
  • For Defense the higher the numerical value the better.

Miss Chance is a poorly worded way of saying Accuracy. Reason why it is poorly worded is due to Evade existing in the status which leads the player to become confused.

Evade is as it sounds, the evasion status for the character.

#5:
Q: What is a good starting party for a new player?
A: The most common build for a beginner is the following below.
[Front Row]
Warrior | Knight | Samurai
[Back Row]
Wizard | Physician | Academic

Some players swap out a character in the back row for a Archer for additional physical single target firepower. Though you will have to make a fairly large sacrifice giving up one of the classes in the back row as each one of them actually serve its own purpose. For example Wizard for Float, Physician for healing, Academic for disarming traps and identifying items later on. Or you can replace the Samurai for an Archer. Though that takes away the ability to attack multiple targets in a single turn.

Generally would suggest the basic party build above for first timers to the series / genre. As it offers the most well rounded options gameplay wise. Once you get used to mechanics and such, then feel free to experiment with the other classes. By then you should have collected a decent amount of various equipment too and have spare cash to pay for exp to level up new characters faster.

#6:
Q: Im lacking X resource for making items!
A: Generally in this game the player is able to either combine or break down components to gain resources to create or enhance existing equipment.

For example if a player suddenly is lacking METAL I, they can break down 1 piece of METAL II to receive 10 pieces of METAL I. Or in the opposite combine 10 pieces of METAL I to make 1 piece of METAL II. This works the same for the other resources that exist also.

Breaking down equipment that you do not need is also another option to gain various resources if you do not want to sell them. This also becomes important later on as the resources in the store are limited for higher ranking items.

Q: Lots of items in the shop have a numerical value next to them, what does that mean?
A: In the shop there will be items that are limited in quantity. Once those are sold out the player will have to make their own by crafting / breaking down items or finding them in dungeons / from battle.

#8:
Q: Im going broke identifying items that I bring back from the dungeons!
A: This is where the Academic class comes into play with its PSI Code - "Code Clear" used to identify, unidentified items. Doing that then resting at the infirmary is far more cost efficient than actually identifying things on your own once you have the spell. Though it might be a pain to constantly have to rest at the infirmary while you identify a large list of items due to the number of times you can use the code. But the higher lv you go the more uses of the codes you will have.

#9:
Q: The game has a max Lv cap at 15 midway through the game what gives?
A: This title was made by combining 2 smaller games together. The Lv cap is a sign that you will be moving onto the next chapter / half of the game once you advance the story. So just think of it as a sign that you have reached the mid point of the game. Am mentioning this now as it seems to be a point of confusion for many who have gotten the game ahead of time.

#10:
Q: I seem to be stuck any way to figure out what I am supposed to do?
A: In this game there are various reasons why you could be stuck, ranging from a hidden door, to not using the "Contact" option when you are at a specific spot in the dungeon. Also be sure to re-check the mission you are currently on as usually Kaito or your contact will give you a hint / mission recap in regards to what you are supposed to do. Also if you play using the online feature, while there will be a good amount of useless messages by other users, there also will be some useful ones telling you where to go or what to do.

#11:
Q: What is that indicator that appears in the upper left side of the screen after advancing the story a bit?
b4ZAlgR.jpg
A: Thats the Encounter Gauge. Basically the higher it goes the stronger enemies will become level wise. The upside to that is you can gain more money, exp and better code drops from the enemies. Downside, is you can get roflstomped if you are unlucky due to the higher level of enemies. Also once you reach past a certain point on the Encounter Gauge, the variant type of wanted monsters will appear. Though defeating them will drop the gauge back down to normal and you will be able to build it up again from there through battles.

The other way to lower the gauge is by running from battle or in the event you have a party wipe the gauge will be reset to zero upon re-entering the dungeon. Though the gauge does not reset itself if the player leaves and comes back to a dungeon.

rgx6xyn.png

Granted the following below are JP Wikis, for those who can read Japanese or want to bother using google translate here are 2 commonly used Wikis for the game.
Japanese Wiki #1
Japanese Wiki #2

Xv7cfkx.png

Nippon Ichi Software America Online Store
Nippon Ichi Software Europe Online Store
*Disclaimer: Neither GAF nor myself has any sort of affiliation with the following sites above. Mods if you feel this is inappropriate let me know and will remove this section.

2D12U8M.png

Thanks goes out to Experience Inc. and Nippon Ichi Software America for the resources used to make up the graphics in this OT.
*Disclaimer: I Have no official affiliation to Experience Inc. or Nippon Ichi Software

91suVSz.png

Special thanks to CrovaxPSO and lazyproblems for links to videos.

*If you see small errors let me know.

Parakeetman

Went over the limit for the first post so had to include a Pt2 here.

UZYFhDK.png

#11:
Q: Will items in the store that become sold out restock?
A: Unfortunately not, even when you move on in the story from the First Term to the Second Term (2nd half of the game) the items in the store will not be restocked. Therefore do take that into consideration when you are buying up more rare resources / items for use.

#12:
Q: I've heard other members talking about Gamble Codes to attempt to get better items, what are they? Where can I find them?
A: Gamble Codes are expendable items that are used to turn an existing item into another one at random that will be higher or lower than the current base it is used on. Save scumming is possible in case you get something worse than the original base item.

You will begin to be able to obtain Gamble Codes as drops once you reach the Second Term (2nd half of the game) in the story. They are not available in the first half of the game.

#13:
Q: I noticed some weapons in their information screen have enemy type text in Red what does that mean?
A: It means that said weapon is ineffective against that particular enemy type. You can remove that status by installing a plugin of the specific enemy type which will negate the ineffective status against said enemy type. This is pretty important for a particular dungeon / enemy type.

PTlnomX.png

This is the FAQ Pt 2 taken from the JP thread of the game. Most of these still apply here so am adding it in.
PT2 in regards to questions folks may have after viewing the new recorded gameplay footage. (this was posted on the 2nd page but brought it up to the front and please excuse that the formatting is reversed from the original FAQ)
  • You have so many character portraits!
    These are all DLC contents from the following.
    1 from the Limited Edition (Swimsuit Heroines) #17-22
    1 from the Famitsu Game Magazine (Dark Hero Pack) #23-28
    1 from First Print Bonus (CHAOS; HEAD NOAH) #29-34 (not available in the localized version)
  • Do you really have to reroll so many times to get the highest possible number for stats point allocation?
    Not really but it does make things easier. If you really are hardcore do what I do sometimes when I do a second playthrough and roll only once per character.
  • What does the extra text for personality do after you pick your alignment?
    Apparently nothing, its just "flavor text" that will show up sometimes in battle. Does not really have any impact on the actual game itself as far as I know.
  • Reused monster graphics
    This really isnt all that uncommon for Experience Inc. nor is it a unique situation for them, Starfish and ZeroDiv are 2 other well known devs within the genre who do the same. Am certain it is done to help cut production costs as they are a small studio and not a massive dev house with huge financial backing from a publisher. Generally all the fans of the company are used to this and dont seem to mind that much as long as the actual game content itself is enjoyable.
  • Reused graphics, sound effects, tile set for dungeon.
    Same answer as above.
  • Character art for characters in game vs. character art for character portraits look different?
    With the DLC ones aside, for the main vanilla game there are 2 different artists working on character design. Kurosawa Tetsu クロサワテツ and Oxijiyen 沖史慈 宴(おきしじえん)
  • There is no MP for magic?
    Magic is by the old system of allocated points per magic level. Not standard MP. What that means is the following example of a Wizards lv 1 spell tier below.

3 - Fire, Wind, Avoid Down

You have 3 points to use in all of those lv 1 spells. Once that runs out you need to go back to HQ to recover the MP said number of points per level increases as your character gets advances in levels.
  • Combat seems simple.
    For the time being it may seem that way since its the start of the game, but later on things will ramp up a bit. Also a separate issue in the point below explains another combat related feature.
  • You cant target individual targets in a group. Example target Monster #1 in Monster Group A .
    Game has you targeting groups instead of individual targets, then the AI decides on what gets hit apparently.
  • Why do you have no class skills?
    Those come into play later on a lot of the classes gain skills from lv 7.
  • Characters are not leveling up in the dungeon map?
    To level up you need to return to HQ and allow your characters to rest in the medical facility which costs money. This is the older type of leveling system that Wizardry used.
  • What is that numbered Gauge in the upper left corner of the screen which seems to fill up more and more as you fight?
    It shows the added strength of monsters in the dungeon, the more you fight the more the gauge fills up. The higher it is the more levels will be potentially added to the monsters in the dungeon. Very simple pros and cons of this below.

Pros: More Exp / Money / Better item drops.
    Cons: Chance to get totally roflstomped also rises.

The level of this meter is also saved when you exit the dungeon which will bring us to the next question.
  • How do you decrease the level of the gauge if leaving the dungeon does not reset it?
    Successfully running from battles will drop the gauges level by 1. Also the less desirable solution is if your party wipes the gauge is totally reset back to 0.
  • Dungeons look a bit bare?
    Its just the way this particular game was designed. This series was one of Experience's first titles when they went off on their own after Michaelsoft folded.
  • Why are some items in red text during the item creating / powering up video?
    Red text means that you dont meet the level req for the particular item. Level req shown in upper left side I think it was.
  • I dont understand all of the things listed in the item details.
    That has always been the games weak point is the item descriptions are a bit of a mess. If folks were having trouble with the simple and fairly easy to understand Demon Gaze item details, I have a feeling they will be crying over this one. The scrolling text at the bottom too which is supposed to be the "description" doesnt help also due to how small the scrolling text section is. They should have just made a separate window to switch to that had all the description text.

YawLlFu.png

Digitally Downloaded.net Review - 9.0
Battlescreen.net Review - 8.5
Just Push Start Review - 8.5
Destructoid Review - 7.5
Attack of the Fanboy Review - 3.5 out of 5
Hardcore Gamer Review - 3.5 out of 5
CG Mag Online.com Review - 7.5
RPG Site.net Review - 7.0
PSX Extreme Review - 6.8
Dark Zero UK Review - 6.0
The Vita Lounge Review - 3 out of 5

The only reason I'm not picking this up day one is because I managed to get Steins;Gate so cheap. For a legacy console, 2 retail games in one week sure is a lot.

Parakeetman

Great OT, I can't wait to dive into yet another fantastic dungeon crawler next week!

Oh damn

Thanks!

Dont worry about it, I blame this stupid 60 second system. I could have sworn it was 30 before a while back? lol

Couple of the links go to the wrong pages in the OT, Parakeetman is fixing it up now, should be correct soon.

Thanks am looking into it now! Knew something would go pear shaped with the mess of BBcode here D:

Think it should be fixed and also need to make a section for reviews, though only will be posting actual real reviews and not half written messes like which has already shown up on metacritic. Also adding folks into the special credits.

Holy crap I forgot about this game coming out soon in the US. I thank this OT because it entirely slipped my mind with Havenward coming out soon.

Will hopefully be picking it up next week.

JPS Kai

I hit the level cap pretty early on for the first Xth, hoping to get to the second game in the next couple nights.

My archer is single handedly my most useful damage character with my academic being so useful for identifying and buffs.

Parakeetman

I hit the level cap pretty early on for the first Xth, hoping to get to the second game in the next couple nights.

My archer is single handedly my most useful damage character with my academic being so useful for identifying and buffs.

Not to mention preventing you from going broke haha. Such a god send once you get the identify skill. :D

Nice OT Parakeetman! Looking forward to getting this next week (hopefully Monday).

Watching videos has actually tempted me to play with the retro character portraits. Really like how adding equipment/weapons can change the appearance of the characters, but I also like the newer portraits. Decisions, decisions.

If people are interested, I just checked and the guy with the twitch stream listed in the videos section is streaming the game again right now. He's been playing for a while, so not sure how much longer he'll be on.

Parakeetman

Nice OT Parakeetman! Looking forward to getting this next week (hopefully Monday).

Watching videos has actually tempted me to play with the retro character portraits. Really like how adding equipment/weapons can change the appearance of the characters, but I also like the newer portraits. Decisions, decisions.

If people are interested, I just checked and the guy with the twitch stream listed in the videos section is streaming the game right now. He's been playing for a while, so not sure how much longer he'll be on.

Thanks!

That reminds me I need to add info about what the whole Classic mode is in the new player section.

Saphirax

I should not be trying to play this while being tired. I wondered why I was doing 1 damage. Turns out I forgot to equip any gear. Thankfully, can do so during combat.

Tohsaka

Nice, OT, hopefully I can finish The Witcher 3 before Tuesday. How is the game in terms of trophies? Is there anything significant that's missable?

Haven't gotten my shipping confirmation yet.
I've got too much going on this week anyway to get to it right away anyway.

Will be back once I've had a chance to play.

Hikami

So close :)
Haven't used my Vita much this year, been waiting for this.

Didn't see it mentioned in the op I think but it would be nice to include; there's also a Launch Edition for the game.

Parakeetman

Nice, OT, hopefully I can finish The Witcher 3 before Tuesday. How is the game in terms of trophies? Is there anything significant that's missable?

Thanks!

Crovax or Dorarnae should be able to answer that as they both have plats for the game.

I'm reviewing this for The Vita Lounge and will PM Parakeetman when my review is up :)

Sounds like a plan, will add it to the OT once I get your message.

So close :)
Haven't used my Vita much this year, been waiting for this.

Didn't see it mentioned in the op I think but it would be nice to include; there's also a Launch Edition for the game.

Yeah forgot to add that in, the one with the CD OST that comes in a cardboard sleeve. lol.

kuroshiki

LOL. I cannot wait to see inevitable those moral crusaders appear in this forum without reading the rule and post something something about 'fanservice' etc etc 'waifu' etc etc 'not for me' etc etc and then suddenly BAM, banned.

CrovaxPSO

You can miss the trophy for all wanted variants eliminated if you progress into the 2nd half of the game before finishing those missions.

Some of the others are missable in the sense that you have to go out of your way to do some of them. Breaking the floor, finding Zombie Murphy, maybe a couple others. I believe those are in the 2nd half of the game, so you should be able to go back and do those any time even after finishing the story.

Holmes

Uuugh, I'm so damn jealous of all of you. I should be getting my CE sometime next week, but I don't have my Vita until the end of July. The wait will be the worst.

Shengar

Wait, there is an uproar too on this game? But why? How? I thought this game is significantly less-fansevice-y than Demon Gaze.

Anyway, my copy have been shipped, just right after the most difficult part of my semester exam passed.

Hikami

Not sure if I want to roll with classic or basic mode.. Customizing your characters looks pretty fun but the newer artwork is pretty nice as well. hmm

CrovaxPSO

Wait, there is an uproar too on this game? But why? How? I thought this game is significantly less-fansevice-y than Demon Gaze.

Anyway, my copy have been shipped, just right after the most difficult part of my semester exam passed.

Compared to Demon Gaze, there is far far less, but there is one definite fan service scene and a monster design or two that people have found questionable. Taking the game as a whole, it's pretty much completely negligible.

Does this game have auto-mapping?

Yes, complete auto-mapping. Some areas you have to use an item to display the minimap but it still fills the map in even without using that item.

So, I played Demon Gaze and thought that game was a pretty darn solid "Meh", in every respect.

Is this an incremental spiritual sequel or does it make major improvements?

anderedna

Nice OT.

Looks a lot like Demon Gaze which I enjoyed playing before. I'll buy this when I've cleared some of my beloved Vita backlog, currently playing Noire from great Japanese game sales on PSN before. Any perks of getting this game earlier?

Seda

Been playing an early copy although I'm not very far.

As someone who wasn't too hot on Demon Gaze, I'm enjoying this considerably more, so far.

edit: And yeah, there's basically zero fanservice up to where I'm at anyway.

Parakeetman

Not sure if I want to roll with classic or basic mode.. Customizing your characters looks pretty fun but the newer artwork is pretty nice as well. hmm

You get some pretty hilarious looking combinations of equipment too later on. So all depends on how you want to play. I just went with the newer art, as Ive been playing with the original stuff for way too long lol.

But should be something fresh for folks new to the series.

As someone who wasn't too hot on Demon Gaze, I'm enjoying this considerably more, so far.

Let me know if you will be doing a review again and will add it to the list! What could be considered fanservice by some would only be 1 or 2 scenes anyways and even then its nothing major at all really. So folks who were turned off by that in Demon Gaze for example would enjoy this title more I reckon.

So, I played Demon Gaze and thought that game was a pretty darn solid "Meh", in every respect.

Is this an incremental spiritual sequel or does it make major improvements?

This is pretty much a remake of the very first game Experience Inc ever made, so a lot of things may feel "older" than Demon Gaze design wise. Though the general basics are still there. But it depends on what you did or did not like about Demon Gaze. Since "Meh" does not really give us any real information on how to answer your question about the game. The Demon Gaze system, was based off of another series that Experience Inc had done in the past. But thats going off point here lol. This title has nothing to do with Demon Gaze at all outside of being the same dev house. :)

Combat for the most part is the same and with the general use for the classes available. The main differences is the setting being modern and not fantasy based, then the whole equipment / crafting + enhancement system is totally different from Demon Gaze and more in depth. Though can be a bit confusing at first, since the game gives you very very basics of how it all works. Then lets you fend for yourself with it. But overall its not that hard to understand once you mess around with it a little.

Nice OT.

Looks a lot like Demon Gaze which I enjoyed playing before. I'll buy this when I've cleared some of my beloved Vita backlog, currently playing Noire from great Japanese game sales on PSN before. Any perks of getting this game earlier?

Thanks!

The perks would be being able to get the DLC I suppose, though Id imagine you could do that even without the game. As you can see in the DLC section there is a time limit on how long they will remain free thats why. But outside of that no real reason to rush out and get it now if you have other things to play.

CrovaxPSO

I have a question too, in this one do you only save in town or can you save anywhere at any time?

Normally only in "town" but there are items called power recorders that you can buy in limited supply and receive from some quests that let you save in dungeons but are consumed upon use.

You can save in town anytime, or you can save in a dungeon using a certain item, which is somewhat rare

Normally only in "town" but there are items called power recorders that you can buy and receive from some quests that let you save in dungeons but are consumed upon use.
I see, so you must exercise caution in the dungeons. I like it, keeps you on your toes. This actually leads me to another question, if all characters die do we get a game over screen asking to reload the latest save, or do we wake up in some place?

CrovaxPSO

I see, so you must exercise caution in the dungeons. I like it, keeps you on your toes. This actually leads me to another question, if all characters die do we get a game over screen asking to reload the latest save, or do we wake up in some place?

I'm not 100% sure but I remember sometimes just getting a straight game over and other times being allowed to get taken back to the academy for a chunk of my GP. Not sure what determines whether or not you just get a game over, one of the things I just didn't understand due to language barrier.

I'm not 100% sure but I remember sometimes just getting a straight game over and other times being allowed to get taken back to the academy for a chunk of my GP. Not sure what determines whether or not you just get a game over, one of the things I just didn't understand due to language barrier.
I see, that's strange. Maybe you must have a certain amount of this GP in order to be brought back.

Parakeetman

Yeah that Im actually not sure of since never had an actual party wipe. D: Am sure folks will find out soon enough though lol.

You can save in town anytime, or you can save in a dungeon using a certain item, which is somewhat rare

Yeah if the name is still the same might be called the "Power Recorder"?

----

Ok that should take care of everything with the OT for now. And HOPEFULLY nothing else is broken due to my own idiocy lol.

Yeah that Im actually not sure of since never had an actual party wipe. D: Am sure folks will find out soon enough though lol.
Lmfao, now I am scared. I always try my best not to let this happen, but there is always that one occasion that you get jumped and can't do anything but die.

Parakeetman

Lmfao, now I am scared. I always try my best not to let this happen, but there is always that one occasion that you get jumped and can't do anything but die.

Yeah I know for certain there will be at least 1 section in the game that might kill people. That was where I almost died also lol. Good times.

Should be fine for the most part esp if you make good use of the Unity Skills. Its good to carry around the escape from dungeon items. Not sure what its called in the localized ver though D:

Hubb

As someone who liked Demon Gaze and preordered this game already, I am really looking forward to liking this game even more.

Been looking forward to this.
Generally would suggest the basic party build above for first timers to the series / genre. As it offers the most well rounded options gameplay wise. Once you get used to mechanics and such, then feel free to experiment with the other classes. By then you should have collected a decent amount of various equipment too and have spare cash to pay for exp to level up new characters faster.
Do party members in reserve get exp too? Or is paying for exp the fast way to catching them up? I'd like to mess around with different combos.

Parakeetman

Been looking forward to this.

Do party members in reserve get exp too? Or is paying for exp the fast way to catching them up? I'd like to mess around with different combos.

Unfortunately the reserves do not get exp, so you will have to partake in the exp buying system in the infirmary.

Once you get your Academic up to the lv where they can identify things for you, will help with building up a surplus of money faster. So one primary focus most def would be to get an academic properly leveled first for that.

Also once you hit the level cap area of the first half of the story, thats a good section to start dragging along other low level characters one or two at a time and just plow through enemies in a specific area. Am sure you folks will know which area once you get there.

There are not really things like "metal slimes" that give a lot of exp, but there are a good amount of monsters who spawn in large numbers and just wrecking the ranks builds up exp and cash pretty fast.

Top Bottom