• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warships Enters Open Beta

grmlin

The new jp T8 gunboat, the Akizuki, is my new fun spreader. Oh man what a great Little beast.

I hope so much that they will add even more ships to that part of the line up to T10, great great fun

And German DDs are coming in two days, too. I hope they did not rush them to add them before the holidays though

The general concensus is that the Germans are just ok. I recently got a Sims from Santa so I'll try it out in the future. I'm not that much of a dd player so I'm a bit hesitant to get into T8 with that ship.

Bombless

The general concensus is that the Germans are just ok. I recently got a Sims from Santa so I'll try it out in the future. I'm not that much of a dd player so I'm a bit hesitant to get into T8 with that ship.

It's a fine ship as long as you don't chicken out and grab the 9km 49kts torps.

And the german DDs got stealth nerfed at release with the obliteration of invisible firing (which i do not mind tbh, i think that is a bit ridiculous).

The lack of Santa convoy campaign on EU however is a fucking travesty.

grmlin

The Sims is a fucking amazing knife fighter, that, at T7, is a tough nut to crack.
Be patient, don't fire at max range, stay concealed and melt other DDs at close range.

If you end in a T8/T9 match though, things look different.

I love it!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'm going to just buy a 2011 thinkpad to play WoW at like 10FPS.

I don't know if they will do a console version. It could take too many players from WOT.

I stopped playing WoT but would definitely play this. Did it split the PC player base or something? WoT is still more popular, right?

fritolay

I'm going to just buy a 2011 thinkpad to play WoW at like 10FPS.

I stopped playing WoT but would definitely play this. Did it split the PC player base or something? WoT is still more popular, right?

I don't have any facts besides talk about he numbers of players shown on the garage screen, but player counts are down on Xbox and PS4. PS4 numbers were never high as it came out later. So if console WOT numbers are down, they may not want to do further damage with WoW.

grmlin

Same here. I just bought a steamlink and wireless keyboard and mouse to play wows on the big screen. So I'm good actually.

I got a steamlink, too, but did not try WOWs yet.

Anyway, I'm pretty frightened about the upcoming patch with the commander skills rework. I don't like the way WG is doing this and I'm afraid it will ruin most of the fun for me.

mitchman

Gold Member
Anyway, I'm pretty frightened about the upcoming patch with the commander skills rework. I don't like the way WG is doing this and I'm afraid it will ruin most of the fun for me.

What specifically is problematic for you? It lowers the level for many crucial skills (such as concealment expert) and adds much more variation and combinations to the skills instead of basically just 2-3 setups.
There will be a 2nd round of testing of these skills due to feedback, so I expect the radio skill to change for sure.

grmlin

What specifically is problematic for you? It lowers the level for many crucial skills (such as concealment expert) and adds much more variation and combinations to the skills instead of basically just 2-3 setups.
There will be a 2nd round of testing of these skills due to feedback, so I expect the radio skill to change for sure.

Two things: why do they buff BBs even more and oh my god do I hate the idea of that radio positioning radar thing.

It's like the perfect counter to skilled play that does not require any effort. No, I hate that. I think it's an absolute insane idea to tell you where the closest enemy is, as it will completely destroy the stealthy DD gameplay in many situations.

They nerfed dds into the ground already, with JP DDs (at least for me) to a point, that I don't play my Shimakaze at all, anymore. And you can see pretty well where they are heading with this looking at the German DDs. A line of disappointment. I still did not touch them and started US BBs a while back.

mitchman

Gold Member
Two things: why do they buff BBs even more and oh my god do I hate the idea of that radio positioning radar thing.

It's like the perfect counter to skilled play that does not require any effort. No, I hate that. I think it's an absolute insane idea to tell you where the closest enemy is, as it will completely destroy the stealthy DD gameplay in many situations.

They nerfed dds into the ground already, with JP DDs (at least for me) to a point, that I don't play my Shimakaze at all, anymore. And you can see pretty well where they are heading with this looking at the German DDs. A line of disappointment. I still did not touch them and started US BBs a while back.

Not sure what's buffing BBs so much here? They are trying to reduce the fire mechanic a bit, currently it's quite broken when IJN cruisers can set a fire on every salvo at a battleship. Taking 50k fire damage in yamato is not uncommon if there's a Zao or Moskva on the other team. That's the only change I can see for battleships, but it's more of a nerf to the fire mechanic which had seen some serious power creep.

As for the shimakaze, they only nerfed the 20km torpedoes, but the 12km torps are great and the 8km torps are fantastic. They nerfed the torp walls from 20km range, now you need to take a bit more chances, but are rewarded for it by having great shorter range torpedoes.

grmlin

Not sure what's buffing BBs so much here? They are trying to reduce the fire mechanic a bit, currently it's quite broken when IJN cruisers can set a fire on every salvo at a battleship. Taking 50k fire damage in yamato is not uncommon if there's a Zao or Moskva on the other team. That's the only change I can see for battleships, but it's more of a nerf to the fire mechanic which had seen some serious power creep.

As for the shimakaze, they only nerfed the 20km torpedoes, but the 12km torps are great and the 8km torps are fantastic. They nerfed the torp walls from 20km range, now you need to take a bit more chances, but are rewarded for it by having great shorter range torpedoes.

Fires reduced to a maximum of three and RPF. And the worst part about this: the superstructure counts as one fire zone. Good luck killing a German BB now, they are already a tough nut to crack, and it will get worse.
Of course, JP CAs, especially the troll Zao, have broken HE. But then nerf these fucking ships and not all of them.
Fire is basically your only chance to kill a BB in a cruiser. It has to stay even if it can be highly frustrating in a BB. No one plays cruisers in high tier anyway, but BBs cry enough and are too famous I think.

And the Shima Torps have the worst torp detection range of all of the high tier ones. Most ships can dodge them and eat one or two. That was WAY better in the past.
This would be ok I think, but Gearing Torps are still OP as fuck compared to these. I don't understand the reasoning behind this.

mitchman

Gold Member
The 8 km shima torps does 76 knots, 12 km torps aren't bad either. Only the 20km torps got really bad detection. They should just remove them. THe gearing torps have wider spread and are easier to dodge at distance.

Bombless

8km puts you well within radar range. Their damage and speed is great but it's downright suicidal in today's age of radar and hydro spamming. I'mean not saying you can't make it work, but it's silly to take so many risks for torps.

Haven't touched the german DDs yet since every youtuber out there is dissapointed with them. I've been focusing on the Christmas convoy missions instead. Reached t9 with IJN bbs and cas, US bbs and RN cruiser (long live the Neptune!). Not sure what to work on next.

grmlin

Playing Shima is no fun, thats all. It's boring. I tried to play it more like a gunboat, too. With all upgrades for it both for the ship and the captain perks.
But it simply doesn't make any sense, as all the other DDs are better at this.

German DDs look broken as fuck. Laughable gun damage (especially HE), totally stupid concealment penalty while firing. I won't play that.
I know WG wants to deal with invisible fire, but you can't release a line of DDs with that penalty and leave the rest of the ship in the state they are in. Thats ridiculous.

And no, I don't accept the "they will change it in the future". Do it right or don't do it. Anyway, if all DDs will be treated like that in the future RIP Akizuki. Akizuki without stealth firing will be unplayable.

AtlAntA

What do you mean with invisible fire exactly? Shooting at someone but remaining undetected? That's one of the bigger perks of most battleships (except some germans perhaps)?

grmlin

What do you mean with invisible fire exactly? Shooting at someone but remaining undetected? That's one of the bigger perks of most battleships (except some germans perhaps)?

If you try to shoot invisible in BBs you are doing it wrong :)

But yeah, firing without getting detected. Akizuki is pretty crazy at this from 8.8 to 12.x km. Zao is ridiculous. A ship with guns like that should not stealth fire.

Bombless

Link gives me Error 404

Yeah they threw the article away.

If you're US go to worldofwarships.com or .eu for Europe.

Edit : I'm not a fan of stealth fire but I understand why it's a thing, a dd seen from the other side of the god damn map is useless (hi2u germanz). The solution? I'm not sure. Shortening the time your detection range blooms would be a start, I think.

AtlAntA

So I just tried the new public beta. I am really disappointed by the new sounds. The guns sound like pea shooters. The big mighty heavy thumps are gone! Am I alone in this?

Bombless

So I just tried the new public beta. I am really disappointed by the new sounds. The guns sound like pea shooters. The big mighty heavy thumps are gone! Am I alone in this?

Depends on the guns..but they keep messing with them every couple patches or so.

grmlin

Right now I'm really sad what direction the game is heading to. With all the smoke, OP premium ships and general changes I don't have much fun anymore playing this game. The high tier meta is pretty much fucked on the EU server with very little cruisers and tons of BBs and DDs.

Now they plan to remove stealth fire from the game, because BBs cried enough (BBs clearly need a buff, lol). Ships like the Akizuki will be completely pointless then. They want to counter this with longer range, yay, more sniping. I get the reasoning behind this, a Zao, Des Moines or even Moskva shouldn't be able to do that, but it's a part of the game and removing it will make some ships completely different.

When my premium time ends I think that was it for me for a while. I'll look into the game from time to time, but I think I'll need some distance.

Bombless

Flamu has been paiting a pretty bad picture of the French cruiser line. I'm not very impressed either. And apparently there's going to be a T6 premium too.

Will definitely wait and see for these ones...but at least my Dunkerque captain will have something to do!

Edit : Saw the patch notes and the Tirpitz secondaries are buffed to 7km base range lol. 10km secondaries + torps, how about that!

grmlin

I really don't know about this game anymore. I didn't spend any money in quite some time and I'm pretty sure I'm done with the game for a while when my premium runs out in a few days.

80% of the games I play are fucked by the impatient matchmaker throwing ships together as they appear. 6 DDs, 5 BBs and a Cruiser. Much fun. I would love to see an option for a more balanced playlist, even if I would have to wait a little longer.

Furthermore, I really miss thrilling matches like I used to have in the past. Now it's almost always a steamroll.

Well, I had a lot of fun with it, so I think it's ok.

mitchman

Gold Member
Flamu has been paiting a pretty bad picture of the French cruiser line. I'm not very impressed either. And apparently there's going to be a T6 premium too.

The French line, particularly the high tier ships, got fixed and buffed significantly and are pretty good now. His and others feedback helped. Watch his newer reviews.

Edit : Saw the patch notes and the Tirpitz secondaries are buffed to 7km base range lol. 10km secondaries + torps, how about that!

About time, the Tirpitz was arguably the weakest Tier 8 ship after all the other ships got buffed. Bismarck with its secondaries and hydro, Amagi with the fixed armor, NC with the fantastic accurate sigma values for its guns, etc.

grmlin

So what do you guys think about all the recent drama, Jingles leaving the community contributors etc.

They do work really hard on fucking it up as good as possible. Even Jim Sterling is on board.

The next thing I read today is a Reddit thread about timers they added to the incoming PvE missions. Pay 20 gold or wait 20min. I started playing wows because it was not like the normal p2w f2p bullshit you find elsewhere... and I don't like this.

Bombless

So what do you guys think about all the recent drama, Jingles leaving the community contributors etc.

They do work really hard on fucking it up as good as possible. Even Jim Sterling is on board.

The next thing I read today is a Reddit thread about timers they added to the incoming PvE missions. Pay 20 gold or wait 20min. I started playing wows because it was not like the normal p2w f2p bullshit you find elsewhere... and I don't like this.

It's Wargaming, they were bound to fuck up again sooner or later. Hopefully some asses will be kicked in the upper echelons and they will get their shit together...but then again it's Wargaming : if the customers keep buying their shit nothing will change.

Losing Jingles will hurt them in the short run for sure. Hell, if he stops doing WoT/Ws videos I'll be super sad, this guy made me play the game in the first place.

Askani

I just came back to the game after a many many months of being clean. Won a super container a week later for 5 millions credits and the next day won another one with 30 days of premium time. So they hooked me. Add me if you want to play.

Askani03: https://na.warships.today/player/1014717969/Askani03

Mainly playing my Baltimore, and the Mahan after finally getting the Concealment captain skill so I'm actually useful. Trying to figure out the rest of my Mahan spec. Then trying to decide if I'm going to same monies for the Des Moines or the Benson.

grmlin

I just came back to the game after a many many months of being clean. Won a super container a week later for 5 millions credits and the next day won another one with 30 days of premium time. So they hooked me. Add me if you want to play.

Askani03: https://na.warships.today/player/1014717969/Askani03

Mainly playing my Baltimore, and the Mahan after finally getting the Concealment captain skill so I'm actually useful. Trying to figure out the rest of my Mahan spec. Then trying to decide if I'm going to same monies for the Des Moines or the Benson.

Baltimore is pretty great now, they buffed the gun reload significantly.

Fletcher and Gearing are very nice, too, but in the end you have to know what you want to play first ;)
Life as a cruiser can be pretty rough these days, at least in EU. Tons of potato BB players... :( And even the dumbest player will find a way to citadel you at 21km at some point.

I play T10 very rarely these days and enjoy my time with the Sims (I love her so much), Belfast etc. T7 really is the best Tier all around. Can't wait for T6 ranked in my Anshan, this will be fun.

grmlin

I don't play World of Tanks, but for what I know, it's still miles ahead of this ;)

WG released some questionable premium ships lately (aka OP) and the high tier meta (at least on EU) is pretty bad.

Camping BBs, cruisers that get sniped across the map, and unbelievable unbalanced CVs, that soon get even more ridiculous if they add AP bombs for US CVs.

But, it's tons of fun nevertheless if you get past the really crappy lower tiers. The sweet spot imho is T7, even if some of the worst premiums in terms of OPness can be found here. Thats because of the best matchmaking you'll find in higher tiers. You will be top tier most of the time.

Additionally, they added PvE missions with the last big patch, so you may find some fun in them, if you're tired of competitive PvP. They require a T6 ship though, too. Next ranked season will be T6, which is pretty cool, because all the ships at T6 are pretty balanced. So you could try to get one of these.
There is tons of content, many different trees that play very different. Give it a try, it's free ;)

If you didn't create an account yet you can use a referral link to get some nice bonuses and free premium ships. Send me a message if you're interested ;)

Bombless

Yeah, the meta is currently ridiculously battleship oriented, to the point where often there's more BBs than CAs in a battle, which is ridiculous considering high tier cruisers have a life expectancy numbered in mere minutes when caught in the open.

Because of this destroyers should have free reign but the abundance of detectors (radar/sonar/catapult planes) renders their stealth kinda moot, especially now that Missouri is in play. As a result the top DD in the game is a russian one that replaces smoke with repair and just focuses on guns damage while staying at near maximum gun range. The rest just rely on spamming as many torpedoes as possible from maximum range.

CVs are both terrible and completely broken : they can delete a battleship in a single drop but at the same time will be completely shut down if they happen to be lower tier than the average other ship in the battle (this is mostly at tiers 8-10 where AA power increases by a huge margin).

grmlin

On EU it's 5 BBs per team in 90% of the matches. Good luck playing a cruiser against 5 T10 BBs.

CVs are either useless (T8 CV in a T10 game with a Des Moines for example) or absurdly overpowered in the right hands. They can kill almost everything in on strike if there isn't a AA spec cruiser or Grozovoi around.
I hate everything about CVs in this game, it's such a mess.

I don't play much BBs. I don't like the lottery like rng gameplay. I love my cruisers and DDs most.

grmlin

Forgot to add some good resources for beginners. Especially captain builds are very important and at first only respec-able with real money.

Notser recently went through a lot of the lines and did some beginners guides in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrNotser

Flamu has tons of videos in his channel and the lower tier guides should be very interesting for a beginner

https://www.youtube.com/user/cheesec4t

iChase has lots of tutorials too and is fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ichasegaming

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What's a good tree to go down? I've been thinking of the Japanese ships because of, admittedly, my Kancolle fandom. lol

Bombless

What's a good tree to go down? I've been thinking of the Japanese ships because of, admittedly, my Kancolle fandom. lol

Japan cruiser, bb, cv lines are good. DD not so much.

Japanese cruisers always have torpedoes and get 203mm guns from tier 5 and up but they are generally unarmoured and have poor anti-air. Big guns means slow reload but at the same time high chance of fire with HE. The Zao is OMGWTFBBQ. Special mention to the Mogami and her 5x3 152mm turrets that fire every 10 seconds.

Japanese battleships tend to have big guns and speed, along with a healthy amount of secondaries (it used to be THE line to spec into secondaries but zee germanz replaced them on that front). Also, the goddamn Yamato.

CV is pretty simple : non premium US cvs suck (apart from tier 9/10) due to Wargaming giving them stupid plane type configurations and while the US fighters wipe the floor with IJN ones, the latter captain will always have far more strike craft for the enemy to counter, unless they go full Air Superiority config which means they do fuck all damage to your allies (the only exception is the Saipan, disgustingly blatant pay-to-win ship).

IJN DDs are goddamn ninjas. I love them (also thanks a fair amount to my Kancolle bias lol) but they're eeeeeeeeeh in the current meta. The overabundance of sonar and catapult planes means your torpedoes are detected very quickly (and your torpedoes have the worst stealth of all the navies already, no fucking idea why). While they saw a buff to turret rotation in one of the last patches and while they do a good amount of alpha damage, you will never be able to use them as gunboats, the reload time is just too great for close combat with other DDs. The only exception to that rule is the Akizuki which features 4x2 gun turrets with lightning fast rotation and ridiculous 3sec firing rate. Be warned though, the tier 6 and 7 "gunboat" DDs of that subline are absolutely not gunboats. They feature the same crap turning, slow firing turrets of the regular DD like and with less torpedoes to boot. The irony here is the Shiratsuyu, part of the gunboats line, actually outperforms the same tier torpedoboat line at launching torpedoes thanks to the Torpedo Reload consumable which allows you to fire 4x4 torpedoes in 5 seconds (every 3.5 mins).

All in all the IJN is imo a very balanced line, well worth the time investment. Plus, you get to make all the poi jokes!

grmlin

You can't go wrong with JP cruisers, as there is not really anything terrible down the line.

I love the Hindenburg but the German tree can be rough at times.

The British are fucking aweful up to T6 maybe but amazing later on.

The Russians are good too, with some really good ones in the tree.

Can't say much about the French. I'm still at T6 and that one is meh.

For DDs I would go either US or RU.
US if you want to play it stealthy (later in the tree) with very good torps, great close combat guns and the best smoke on the game.
RU is guns all the way until the tree splits. The Khabarovsk is amazing and very fun to play.

JP DDs are boring as fuck imho. Fire your every now and then and sail around otherwise. I prefer the others by a mile.

So what's the game like nowadays? I thought I'd give it a shot, and it seems okay at the very beginning at least.

Game is super fun.

Tier 1 to 5 is very fun and simple enough.

Past that, the meta gets very... complicated. Tons of ships, specs, items and consummable to know of if you want to do well and not fall in every trap. I love how complex the game is past tier 6 to 8, but it can be complex and you will get blown out of the water if you don't know what to do and what you are facing.

High tier meta is shit. Tier 8 to 10 is all about camping and sniping and it's not fun but don't worry it will take long time to get there so you'll have time to worry about that later and you can have all the fun the game has to offer around up tier 8.

Must go with the Poi then. lol

WoWs subreddit is on fire, its her birthday today smh

You like IJN ship ?

Cruiser line is amazing. Can't go wrong with that. Tier 5 Furutaka is rough but will make you learn the hard way but early enough how to angle, position and how to use your massive guns and how to maximize your shell types. It's sealclubber in good hands. Before tier 5 is fun. After that it's all very good and they all play in similar way getting more powerfull. I have a soft spot for Mogami. Zao is a beast.

Destroyer ? Well they are not in a great spot, balance wise now. They are stealthy torpedo boat but players winned so hard about being bad at avoiding torpedoes that they nerfed to oblivion IJN torpedo boat. I would still say, try the DD line : up to Minekaze at least : it's a goddamn monster. Then of course Shiratsuyu in the split is a monster but face bigger enemies. Akizuki is playing totally differently. But in the main line, all the way to Shimakaze, it's a hard grind these days because torpedoes were nerfed hard.

Battleships ? IJN bbs are beautiful and they are snipers. They have massive range but that's it. But they have big guns and lots of them. Fuso is a high point. Nagato after that almost loose half of the guns but get much biggers guns... Amagi is a monster... And of course the king, the jewel, the pride of the line is Yamato. It's a fucking monster in the right hands. It has obvious weaknesses but its main guns doens't care, doesn't fuck around and will wreck everything.

Other fun good line :
American cruisers up to tier 6. Very fun and good ships. Good to learn how to play.

grmlin

They had some anime in the past you unlocked by completing missions. This time its premium ships if I'm not mistaken you have to buy.

Top Bottom