• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioHazard 5 screens and video from Capcom DVD

Dyno

They used real world weapons but always renamed them, perhaps for licencing reasons.

Perhaps we'll see the Pancor Jackhammer in RE5! Now that's an auto-shotty!

Pancorjackhammer_0.jpg

Yoboman

beelzebozo said:
yeah, god hand's dodge mechanic would work great. we've already seen in some video of re5, from what i can recall, chris ducking/weaving axes on occasion. that could be a toned down version of jean's backflips and what-not in god hand.
Yeah. Unless that was some sort of QTE, but I can't see them allowing a QTE option everytime someone gets close with a knife

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm sorry, i have trouble resisting opportunities to bag on that game :lol

just playing. yeah, they're not so bad there.

Zenith

Banned
beelzebozo said:
on the topic of re4 weapons, is there an actual shotgun like the striker? that thing was really sick. should i ever go nuts and retreat into the hills to form a mountain militia, that gun would be first on my "sick hillbilly artillery" list of things to grab from my neighbor's black market weapon sale he runs out of the back of his pickup truck.

the Striker is a real shotgun

striker.jpg

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh09-e.htm

gconsole

Am I the only one who think they use the exact same motion from RE4 just for testing phase? I mean, how could the designer decide to use the old motion despite the jump from older gen? It doesn't even take that long to re-cap the whole enemy motion. Unless they are super lazy .....

Ello

gconsole said:
Am I the only one who think they use the exact same motion from RE4 just for testing phase? I mean, how could the designer decide to use the old motion despite the jump from older gen? It doesn't even take that long to re-cap the whole enemy motion. Unless they are super lazy .....

Well... they sure didn't change much of the motion in Devil May Cry 4.

gconsole

Ello said:
Well... they sure didn't change much of the motion in Devil May Cry 4.

Well... The only old characer in DMC4 is Dante. And he's the only character that Capcom use the same motion for his old move. Everything else is new, isn't it? Every enemy are new. I don't feel playing the same old game at all because a lot of changes.

But for RE5, this footage only show how the enemy move exactly the same as RE4. I mean , how could that happen to any game? Especially for the masterpiece like this. Even RE2 zombie move different from RE1.

ryan13ts

Looks very similar to RE4, which isn't that thrilling to me. I never liked the direction 4 went in (Especially storywise), but I guess I'll try hold out a little hope for this game until I see more. It was fun to play, but wasn't 'survival horror' in the least, I hope that changes with RE5.

ssoass

10ncqdg.jpg

I like the look of the town in the background here, very realistic, I hope you can go everywhere.
I also the think the game looks more serious than RE4, which was a bit slapstick and obviously corny in the story department.

Ello

gconsole said:
Well... The only old characer in DMC4 is Dante. And he's the only character that Capcom use the same motion for his old move. Everything else is new, isn't it? Every enemy are new. I don't feel playing the same old game at all because a lot of changes.

But for RE5, this footage only show how the enemy move exactly the same as RE4. I mean , how could that happen to any game? Especially for the masterpiece like this. Even RE2 zombie move different from RE1.

Nero runs exactly like Dante runs and some enemies are from the old games with the same motion as well.

But I agree that RE5 looks like they are reusing every motion from RE4 though and I wouldn't be surprised if that will end up beeing in the final game.

Looks good. I only hope that they work on more variety as far as the setting goes. The game is more action oriented now, which isn't a bad thing, but when you start to lose that sense of tension and atmosphere from the night environments found in Re4, then you lose a lot of what makes RE...RE. Not to say that RE4 was particularly scary, but the darker environments found later in the game did a lot to help the game.

So far I see nothing but blindingly bright sunlight on African soil with the occasional dark interiors of huts and the like. This is probably a bit unnerving from time to time due to HDR, but if I know all I have to do is walk outside of the hut to find an explosion of sunlight the illusion is going to be broken really quickly.

Also I just wish they'd come back to the horror theme found in the old RE games. There was always a sense of hopelessness and just the feeling that you were in a horrible situation that you'd do anything to escape from. Complete isolation. The soundtrack helped a lot with this.

Some of my favorite tracks from the games.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jh_Li5MYs7A&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GcnqGUt7Gx8&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yqUfSMt1T1A&feature=related

Re4 had a few tunes, but lacked on a lot of things from the old RE games. I don't mind increased action, but enhance the music and atmosphere at least.

Flakster99

Looking great was quite predetermined, and not where my excitement of the title lies.
The scenarios, tight, focused gameplay, the story, it's moody engrossing atmosphere, weapon upgrade design systems are things that excite me and want to see more of.

Y2Kev said:
Chris is absolutely huge.

You know how in only 6 years, Leon went from being a bungling rookie police officer, to being put in charge of the safety for the President of the united states?

I'm pretty sure that since the end of Umbrella Chronicles, where Chris was just an unemployed rogue, he'll be the president of the united states, who's also won Mr. Olympia 4 years running, and is married to an hollywood actress.

Let's not even forget the most drastic change, which was Claire Redfield being a civilian at the start of RE2, and then at MOST three years later in CVX she's a genuine commando, if the intro is to be believed.

jibblypop

Banned
The main characters muscles look like a joke to me but other than that the game looks amazing. RE4 is the only resident evil game i ever liked and this looks like it's similar in style.

Master Z

SPEA said:
Doesn't look like it. Well at least at this stage of development you can't.

I hope they change this shit. This was the only thing I hated about RE4. I don't understand this design decision. Is it to make the game harder? I'd rather they up the enemy AI then force control restrictions on you that make the game artificially more challenging. I'd rather have a more fluid combat experience, especially in a game where you get surrounded by hordes of zombies.

Master Z said:
I hope they change this shit. This was the only thing I hated about RE4. I don't understand this design decision. Is it to make the game harder? I'd rather they up the enemy AI then force control restrictions on you that make the game artificially more challenging. I'd rather have a more fluid combat experience, especially in a game where you get surrounded by hordes of zombies.

I really believe it is that design choice that made RE4 the masterpiece it is. Take that away and you just get another 3rd person shooter.

Master Z said:
One of the things things that made RE4 so great was how tense each battle was because you couldn't move.

If you allow Chris to move while shooting, you destroy all of those "ohfuckohfuckohfuckofuckohfuck" moments.

Master Z

pizzaguysrevenge said:
One of the things things that made RE4 so great was how tense each battle was because you couldn't move.

If you allow Chris to move while shooting, you destroy all of those "ohfuckohfuckohfuckofuckohfuck" moments.

For me it was just annoying that I had to constantly exit shoot mode just to move and re-adjust for enemies advancing from the back or side. I lived with it back with RE4 but after playing games like Gears and Uncharted it's just dissapointing that Capcom hasn't evolved the OTS shooting mechanics for RE5.

I just think that giving Chris the ability to move while shooting makes the shooting more fluid and fun IMO. Why don't they just make the enemies smarter and faster if they want to keep the tension and challenge high?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
in order for him to shoot while running, they'd have to change the aiming from the left stick to the right. I'm fine with how RE4 handled it, but I'd like a 180 degree turn button (like REmake).

slade

Looks like tank controls make a return. I was actually watching to see whether the developer was using dual analogue since his thumb was on the other analogue stick but thankfully he wasn't. This is good. I want them to leave the gameplay from RE4 intact but work on the atmosphere and mood of the game more. Make it genuinely dark instead of the superhero antics (loved those too btw) of Leon from RE4.

stewacide

jibblypop said:
The main characters muscles look like a joke to me but other than that the game looks amazing. RE4 is the only resident evil game i ever liked and this looks like it's similar in style.

Seriously, can someone let Capcom know their character is an anatomical impossability.

It's one thing when it's an enemy (like Krauser), but for the lead playable character to be so freaky looking is really off-putting.

Top Bottom