• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox.com website glitch - "The New Xbox"

Chuck

Still without luck
Console reveal first, name reveal at E Triple. They're not going to just call it Xbox. See: WiiU.

Cbajd5

Ugh, I really hope they're not just going with Xbox.

Xbox 360 already has Xbox in it. Wi U even added something and the general public got it confused. They'll have to make it look completely different for people not to get confused, and I doubt they'll do that.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
haven't they learned that adding "New" is stupid?

New Super Mario Bros
New iPad

bleh

I seriously doubt that the official name of the console will be "The New Xbox" -- if anything, they will just refer to it that so people will know it's a new console of some sort if its name is actually going to be just "Xbox."

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
What's wrong with 'the new xbox'?
I just don't like that naming scheme. It sounded dumb when Apple announced their new iPad as "The New iPad" and it'll sound just as dumb if MS decides to do that for the next Xbox.

VT_Brian

Neo Member
Looks like another marketing push by Microsoft to stress that the 360 is more than just games. Xbox music, Xbox on Windows 8, Smartglass, etc.

Console reveal first, name reveal at E Triple. They're not going to just call it Xbox. See: WiiU.
That reason doesn't make any sense. No one even gets what the Wii U is due to the way it's being marketed. If Microsoft simply called it Xbox again, it would be much easier to distinguish then the 360, especially if people call it the "new" Xbox.

Let me be clear, the marketing will have to include a unit that looks different enough. I think the Wii U and original Wii system look too much alike.

Mononoke

Banned
I seriously doubt that the official name of the console will be "The New Xbox" -- if anything, they will just refer to it that so people will know it's a new console of some sort if its name is actually going to be just "Xbox."

iPad 4th generation all over again.

The name doesn't really matter. I think this simplistic name is probably better than some awkward tech-y name like Xbox: Adjective or Xbox 3 or whatever though.

sflufan

Banned
I certainly hope that all of you who don't like them using "Xbox" don't consider "Xbox 720" to be better.

Because that's just plain nonsensical.

C4Lukins

XBOX no longer necessarily means what it once did. It also applies to WP8 and Windows 8 games. I just downloaded that Shogun game for Windows 8 and it says "logging on to XBOX." It may have nothing to do with the new console and be more about all the cross integration plus Smart Glass stuff they are doing.

Mononoke

Banned
The name doesn't really matter. I think this simplistic name is probably better than some awkward tech-y name like Xbox: Adjective or Xbox 3 or whatever though.

You don't think branding is important?

A lot of people still think Wii U is just an etension of the Wii and don't know it's a new console all together. I would say it's..kind of important.

Although in this case, enough time has gone by from the original xbox release (and the 2nd iteration was a completely different name) - that I doubt it will cause brand confusion. Well, at least I think.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
My theory was that the only reason Apple used "the new iPad" is because they wanted to avoid backlash for releasing iPad 3 and iPad 4 in the same year. "they're both the new iPad!" Think of the additional negativity if they actually had released those with numbering.

If that were true and marketing departments for other companies do start ripping off Apple: lol.

I don't think going with just Xbox or "the new Xbox" is smart marketing at all. I think it'll cause confusion on top of providing no benefits whatsoever.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Calling it the New Xbox makes sense given the ridiculousness of the 360 numbering. It's also easy to market to make it clear that it's obviously a successor.

Top Bottom