• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

headertfuj7.png

Platform: Xbox One
Release Date: August 4th, 2015
Developer: Rare Ltd
Publisher: Microsoft Studios
Install Size: 50GB (With 360 games installed - they are optional)
Digital Store: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/rare-replay

featuresssunx.png

• A collection of 30 of the best games Rare has developed over the studios thirty year life covering games from the ZX Spectrum to the Xbox 360.
  • 10 000 Gamerscore.
  • SnapShot feature allows you to jump into some of the best moments from the older Rare games.
  • Completing SnapShots gives you stamps for your stamp book. Collect enough of them to gain levels and unlock extra features like concept art and videos.
  • Over an hour of documentary footage that covers the development of certain titles and other games that were never released.
  • For older games in the collection you can toggle CRT screen effects and rewind gameplay.

gamew5ujk.png

jetpacxpug8.png

Jetpac – Single-screen shooter where Jetman must reassemble and fuel his rocket while fending off alien hordes.
  • Released in 1983.
  • 1-2 players offline.
  • 4:3 aspect ratio with optional art border.

aticataclju51.png

Atic Atac – Top-down adventure with increased replayability thanks to randomized object locations and three different character classes.
  • Released in 1983.
  • 1 player offline.

lunarjetman1oum6.png

Lunar Jetman – A return to the Jetpac side-scrolling formula, but with a scrolling, randomly generated landscape and much more to do.
  • Released in 1983.
  • 1-2 players offline.

sabrewulfc9ult.png

Sabre Wulf – Classic jungle maze game and the first appearance of explorer Sabreman, tackling dangers including the vicious ’Wulf itself.
  • Released in 1984.
  • 1-2 players offline.

underwurldemgu3j.png

Underwurlde – Rare’s first true platform game. Help Sabreman survive the perils of the Underwurlde and escape through one of three exits.
  • Released in 1984.
  • 1 player offline.

knightlorezmu9w.png

Knight Lore – Introduction of Ultimate’s groundbreaking isometric Filmation engine. Sabreman must scour the castle for items to cure his werewolf curse.
  • Released in 1984.
  • 1 player offline.

gunfrightutup9.png

Gunfright – A Wild West spin on the isometric style, with an improved engine and new first-person target-shooting sections.
  • Released in 1986.
  • 1-2 players offline.

slalomo3u1j.png

Slalom – Rare’s first console game. Make it to the bottom of each course before time runs out while avoiding trees, sledders, snowmen and other skiers.
  • Released in 1987.
  • 1-2 players offline.

r.c.pro-amaeu9z.png

R.C. Pro-Am – Responsive racing game that inspired elements of Rare’s future racers, including speed boosts, upgrades and collectible power-ups littered around the track.
  • Released in 1988.
  • 1 player offline.

cobratriangleahupw.png

Cobra Triangle – Hop into a boat and power through a branching game world, completing challenges such as shooting targets, disposing of mines and defeating leviathans.
  • Released in 1989.
  • 1 player offline.

snakerattlenrollyoup9.png

Snake Rattle N Roll – A fast-paced isometric adventure. Rattle and Roll must eat Nibbley-Pibbleys until they’re heavy enough to ring a bell and open the exit.
  • Released in 1990.
  • 1-2 players offline.

diggert.rock31un1.png

Digger T. Rock – 2D platformer in which Digger must find an exit switch, stand on it, then make it to the exit in 60 seconds.
  • Released in 1990.
  • 1-2 players offline.

solarjetman81uf1.png

Solar Jetman (released in 1990, 1 player) – A game built around exploration and physics; Jetman has to tow fuel and other items to his mothership.
  • Released in 1990.
  • 1 player offline.
    [v]4:3 aspect ratio with optional art border.

battletoadsqbukv.png

Battletoads (released in 1991, 1-2 players) – Skill and perseverance required as the ’Toads take on multiple game styles to rescue Pimple and Princess Angelica from the Dark Queen.
  • Released in 1991.
  • 1-2 players offline.

r.c.pro-amiia0uru.png

R.C. Pro-Am II – Sequel to R.C. Pro-Am with a wider variety of environments, more car customization options and bonus games.
  • Released in 1992.
  • 1-4 players offline.

battletoadsarcade3uu11.png

Battletoads Arcade – First “Battletoads” game to allow all three ‘Toads to play simultaneously. Has never had a home release before “Rare Replay”!
  • Released in 1994.
  • 1-3 players offline.

killerinstinctgoldkpugt.png

Killer Instinct Gold (released in 1996, 1-2 players) – Home version of Killer Instinct 2 with several multiplayer modes (including tournament mode) and a training dojo.
  • Released in 1996.
  • 1-2 players offline.

blastcorps7kupx.png

Blast Corps (released in 1997, 1 player) – Cult classic with a fleet of destructive vehicles (from bulldozers to robots) used to clear the path for a runaway nuclear missile carrier.
  • Released in 1997.
  • 1 player offline.

banjo-kazooien1upy.png

Banjo-Kazooie – 3D platformer adventure where Banjo and Kazooie must take on the evil witch Gruntilda, who’s kidnapped Banjo’s sister Tooty and plans to steal her beauty for herself.
  • Released in 1998.
  • 1 player offline.
  • 16:9 aspect ratio
  • This is the XBLA game running via backward compatibility.

jetforcegemininjuix.png

Jet Force Gemini – Interstellar action adventure that mixes third-person exploration and alien-blasting action as the last three JFG members go up against Mizar.
  • Released in 1999.
  • 1-4 players offline.
  • Optional, modern, control scheme coming after launch via patch.
  • 4:3 aspect ratio with optional art border or native 16:9 widescreen.

perfectdarkgyupa.png

Perfect Dark – A stealth shooter set in the year 2023. Players lead secret agent Joanna Dark against the dataDyne corporation as they uncover an alien conspiracy that takes her around the world.
  • Released in 2000.
  • 1-4 players online.

banjo-tooiermu0u.png

Banjo-Tooie – Builds on Banjo-Kazooie with larger worlds, separately controllable characters, multiplayer modes and many more moves to learn.
  • Released in 2000.
  • 1-4 players offline.

conkersbadfurday9cu9n.png

Conker’s Bad Fur Day (released in 2001, 1-4 players) – Beloved comedy adventure that mixes up genres (platformer, third-person shooting, racing) with mature humor, pop culture references and parodies.
  • Released in 2001.
  • 1-4 players offline.

grabbedbytheghouliesk1umc.png

Grabbed by the Ghoulies (released in 2003, 1 player) – Rare’s first Xbox game. A comic book beat-’em-up set in a haunted house filled with breakable scenery and Ghoulies of all kinds.
  • Released in 2003.
  • 1 player offline.
  • This original Xbox game was ported to natively run on the Xbox One.

perfectdarkzero45uyk.png

Perfect Dark Zero – A prequel to Perfect Dark that delves into Joanna’s origins and fuses first-person shooting with third-person, cover-based combat.
  • Released in 2005.
  • 1-4 players locally, up to 32 players online.
  • This is the Xbox 360 game running via backward compatibility.

kameoelementsofpowerpkuyo.png

Kameo: Elements of Power – A fantasy adventure focused on combat and exploration, with Kameo able to transform into ten different Elemental Warriors.
  • Released in 2005.
  • 1-2 players locally or online

vivapiatajku83.png

Viva Piñata – A magical gardening/life sim in which the player can cultivate a garden paradise, attract different Piñatas and keep them safe from Professor Pester and his Ruffians.
  • Released in 2006.
  • 1-2 players offline

jetpacrefuelledl7ud8.png

Jetpac Refuelled – A modern update to Jetpac. Assemble and fuel your rocket before blasting off to the next of 128 challenging stages.
  • Released in 2007.
  • 1-2 players locally or online.
  • 16:9 aspect ratio.

banjo-kazooienutsboltnbu21.png

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts – A more open-ended, customizable approach to the series with vehicle-based challenges set by L.O.G. (the Lord of Games).
  • Released in 2008.
  • 1-2 players locally, up to 4 players online.

vivapiatatroubleinparyvuj9.png

Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise (released in 2008, 1-2 players locally or online) – Features new species and Piñata Central challenges, plus desert and arctic regions to visit and catch native Piñatas.
  • Released in 2008.
  • 1-2 players locally or online

faqa5uld.png

How do the backward compatible 360 games work?
  • When selected the 360 game will boot as if you had launched it from your “Games and Apps” application. When you quit the game Rare Replay will boot up again and will place you were you left off. These games also need to be activated online once you install the game (one time only).
Do 360 games have snapshots?
  • No. Stamps are tied to unlocking achievements in those games instead. If you have already unlocked the achievement on the 360 you will get the stamp for it automatically.
What frame-rate do the non-XBLA Nintendo 64 games run at?
  • 30 FPS. It’s worth noting though that since the games are running via emulation that frame-rate may not stay locked at 30 depending on the game.
What games support rewind?
  • From what Rare has said it’s typically it’s the older 2D games that support rewind.
Is there going to be DLC?
  • It has been mentioned as a possibility by Rare but nothing has been confirmed one way or another.
Do you have to download the 360 games?

BDNyiCq.png
waPmqpH.png
3x2WxY6.png
uaG3Nlg.png

uSZoUOs.png
u6opcyd.png
JK6iUGT.png
uMPAFGU.png

fMvCgMV.png
fbnI5v7.png
NuODinj.png
BWPR3xE.png

zgUDGLc.png
jW2ux2i.png
OYWWuQP.png
BQMIEWZ.png

Zg13EYw.png
HxMWNfA.png
5oqk0Ku.png

Thanks to The Flash for the Avatars!

Nemesis_

I love Perfect Dark and Perfect Dark Zero so much, even if Zero is kind of horse shit by today's standards. Why can't MS make another one ;_;

Will be buying this as soon as I get home from my work trip, love all these games.

Does anyone know why they didn't use the xbox version of conkers? Did they realize that the N64 version is better despite the worse graphics?

danowat

Banned
Man, I remember playing the "ultimate play the game" games the first time round when they were originally released, looking forward to trying them again!

Leflus

I grabbed the Mumbo-Jumbo avatar. Thanks. :) I hope no one else is already using it.

Super stoked for this release! My preloaded copy is ready.

Only the 360 games require another install. N64 games are included in the first install.
I meant that, but the context was probably off. My bad.

Does anyone know if you can install the 360 games while playing the other games in the collection? Also do you need to install the XBLA N64 games like Banjo or Perfect Dark?

sure wish Amazon had release day delivery on this one...still showing a delivery date of Aug 6. I guess that explains the -$5 for Prime members price.

Woffls

Neat! Got this pre-loaded - looking forward to getting some achievements in Blast Corps. I have it on N64 but I got stuck on a mission, so hopefully I can get through it this time around.

Also hope this gets a few more people on Nuts and Bolts online so I can get the last two achievements that have been haunting me for a while.

jet1911

sure wish Amazon had release day delivery on this one...still showing a delivery date of Aug 6. I guess that explains the -$5 for Prime members price.

I got my copy from Amazon.ca last friday. :p

They need to patch some new controls for Jet Force Gemini, they're really bad.

I meant that, but the context was probably off. My bad.

Does anyone know if you can install the 360 games while playing the other games in the collection? Also do you need to install the XBLA N64 games like Banjo or Perfect Dark?

Yes, you can.

You don't need to install them, no.

Yes, you can.

You don't need to install them, no.
Thanks for the answers. Guess the initial install includes Arcade through Xbox with Xbox 360 having another install.
Will play Banjo will the 360 games install then.

Edit: Someone asked a good question, is Viva Pinata and PDZ able to be played online?

Stopdoor

Think your player numbers are wrong for Nuts & Bolts and Trouble in Paradise, it's 8 players online and 4 players online respectively.

Do these games share online with the 360 versions? Does this mean there's actually a chance for me to play the 360 versions online again?

painey

so if I have the 360 version, with a save file on my 360 HD, is there any way to move it over and resume play on the Xbone with it? Really don't fancy starting Kameo again coz it's just so bad, but would love to finish it once and for all

The first Battletoads is the NES version?

Why? They should have gone with the Genesis version! Best port hands down!

/rant anyway, getting this ASAP. Amazing value of the whole package.

so if I have the 360 version, with a save file on my 360 HD, is there any way to move it over and resume play on the Xbone with it? Really don't fancy starting Kameo again coz it's just so bad, but would love to finish it once and for all
I remember reading that saves are cross-compatible if you upload them via cloud storage.
So you might need to sign up for gold to get cloud storage I think...

BajiBoxer

Banned
Cloud save? It emulates the 360, including your sign in.

Just needs that save file to be in the cloud and it will use it on X1.

KaoteK

I don't have an X1, this is the one package on the console that I lust after.

I tickles me no end to see old speccy classics like Jetpac, Sabrewulf and Knightlore be playable on a modern console.

Well, other than the fact that I already own Perfect Dark and Banjo Kazooie XBLA, this is still a huge freaking collection and I am likely going to enjoy every minute of it (once they patch Blast Corps, that is).

Hell, I would have paid the $49.95AU asking price for Jet force Gemini alone...

EDIT: Dear Rare -
You made a TV show out of Viva Pinata, remember? Get it up on Xbox Video already.

_woLf

I really want to play blast corps again and hope it runs well enough.

I also hope this collection somehow inspires Rare to make a new Kameo. That game was so much fun and I have no idea why they didn't continue with it.

This is so full of awesome games, I hope it's the start of old RARE coming back to life again. At least it looks like they are trying to remember their legacy.

In Spain, if you preorder Rare Replay at GAME stores, you will receive this awesome coffee mug. I preordered it ( even if I don't own a XBONE yet) just to get it

t1QbmHA.jpg

maxcriden

Contact them via customer service and they should be able to hook you up with release day delivery or at least offer a discount.

painey

Just needs that save file to be in the cloud and it will use it on X1.

so to move the save to the cloud, do you need to own the original game? I don't have any of my Rare games any more.. can I move the save files in the menu, or am I gunna need to buy another copy of Kameo to upload my save?

Camjo-Z

I thought the designers said this was just a straight port. What a hack!

PRELOADED AND READY FOR MIDNIGHT

JoshHood

Given that they seem to have largely gone for the latest version of the games to port, it seems a bit weird that it's not the Xbox version of Conker here. Oh well :(

Only play Blast Corps if you have anxiety medication. If you don't have anxiety or anxiety medication and plan on playing Blast Corps, just go ahead and make a doctor's appointment because you will. Also be sure to drink a lot of water and do cardio every 15 minutes during play to avoid the potential onset of hypertension.

Top Bottom