• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

Theecliff

Banned
I completely forgot that Cliff Martinez was handling the score for this. I think I know what I'm going to be listening to for a while.

valkyre

Played already 20 hrs and still only at 40% completion rate.

Game is absolutely gorgeous looking. I am amazed people dont seem to care, but after Assassins Creed Unity fiasco, this is the complete opposite.

The graphics are full 1080p and spectacular looking, the framerate is 99% rock solid without any drops whatsoever, texture work is immense, lighting and shadows are amazing , LOD issues are so minimal that 90% of the time you just dont notice and that draw distance is absolutely amazing... vegetation stretches as far as the eye can see.

Pop in? Not even worth mentioning, there is none, at least you wont notice it. Oh and the AA implement is also great, no jagged edges, without sacrificing IQ. Game looks clean and even objects in the distance have no alliasing. Anisotropic also rocks.

And as far as the gameplay goes, the game is pure fun to play. Sure it aint gonna win any awards for character design , and I dont know yet about the story part.

All in all it is an amazing game, well crafted without all the problems that POS ACU thing is.

To me it is very impressive to see such an open world game, without any issues, and dare I say FC4 looks way better than ACU, sure it doesnt have crowds or the building density of ACU, but the land is massive, diverse, with mountains , forrests lakes, and the density of vegetation is spectacular.

This is a solid fucking game and people should give not a single dollar for ACU and instead buy this one.

Support the games that are well crafted, ignore rip-offs like ACU.

Lernaean

Banned
This is a solid fucking game and people should give not a single dollar for ACU and instead buy this one.

Good post and I agree with this part.
That's PS4 you're talking right?
If yes, i have to ask. No stuttering?

Watching GiantBomb's Quicklook it was interesting to hear Hindi-Urdu dialogue (national language of India and Pakistan) rather than Nepali, or at least perhaps Sanskrit? (to add to the mystical nature of it?).

I'm not South Asian but I am interested in the history and culture of the region, and it's actually one of the selling points of the game for me, seeing all the cool architecture and temples etc.

Obviously it's way easier to find a Hindi-Urdu speaker and it is commonly spoken in Nepal, but I think it would've been more genuine to have Nepali dialogue. Unless Nepali is generally spoken throughout the game and I'm judging everything based on a single instance?

GTAV will take priority for me, but I may make FC4 my Christmas treat, especially if a good deal floats around on PSN.

valkyre

Good post and I agree with this part.
That's PS4 you're talking right?
If yes, i have to ask. No stuttering?

PS4 version yes, not stuttering at all. Nothing, nada. Even when you are flying over at full speed there is no slowdown, no stutters no framedrops.

The game runs like butter and you hear this from someone who is absolutely insane when it comes to framedrops (to the point of overreacting actually).

Only in very few select cases you see some frames dropping but that was when I was riding an elephant inside a huge fortress causing mayhem with a grenade launcher and exploding everything.

The game has the best AA i've seen in an open world game with such detail. I am amazed by the result.

Lernaean

Banned
PS4 version yes, not stuttering at all. Nothing, nada. Even when you are flying over at full speed there is no slowdown, no stutters no framedrops.

The game runs like butter and you hear this from someone who is absolutely insane when it comes to framedrops (to the point of overreacting actually).

Thanks for your answer, and that's why i asked you, cause you sound nitpicky :p
Well, PS4 version it is for me then, it's settled.

kinggroin

Banned
Played already 20 hrs and still only at 40% completion rate.

Game is absolutely gorgeous looking. I am amazed people dont seem to care, but after Assassins Creed Unity fiasco, this is the complete opposite.

The graphics are full 1080p and spectacular looking, the framerate is 99% rock solid without any drops whatsoever, texture work is immense, lighting and shadows are amazing , LOD issues are so minimal that 90% of the time you just dont notice and that draw distance is absolutely amazing... vegetation stretches as far as the eye can see.

Pop in? Not even worth mentioning, there is none, at least you wont notice it. Oh and the AA implement is also great, no jagged edges, without sacrificing IQ. Game looks clean and even objects in the distance have no alliasing. Anisotropic also rocks.

And as far as the gameplay goes, the game is pure fun to play. Sure it aint gonna win any awards for character design , and I dont know yet about the story part.

All in all it is an amazing game, well crafted without all the problems that POS ACU thing is.

To me it is very impressive to see such an open world game, without any issues, and dare I say FC4 looks way better than ACU, sure it doesnt have crowds or the building density of ACU, but the land is massive, diverse, with mountains , forrests lakes, and the density of vegetation is spectacular.

I'll take the rip-off instead; enjoy your elephant riding stimulator though.

I want FC4 too

Picked up a 970 over the weekend for DAi and got a code for a free copy of FC4. Should be a good way to benchmark my new card. Will have to find time to play this while marathoning DAI. ENjoyed FC3 so this should be fun

Why doesn't Origin allow preloads on 3rd party games? :(

Damn that sucks, it's a 30gb dl btw

jacobeid

Banned
I just pre-ordered the PS4 version from Best Buy. I couldn't say no to $38 (GCU) and I wanted to reward myself for a promotion I received at work :)

bosseye

Do want this very much. But also torn with GTAV double dip, mostly as I have some online friends now to play the multiplayer with which I didn't have on 360 last year.

XavandSo

Neo Member
The impressions on the PS3 version seem great, glad I ordered that even though I have a PS4. Can't beat $25 difference. The graphics comparison doesn't seem that bad and I thought Far Cry 3 ran great on the PS3. Tomorrow guys! See you guys in Kyrat!

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Does this early unlock anywhere or is it global release at 2300 tonight (BST)? Talking about origin, most games you can unlock early with vpns

Norci7

Do you have a source you could share, would make for interesting reading.
I have the CE since Friday, so it's based on my experience. As I said, the framerate is fine (locked 30 fps), but the IQ could be better, Advanced Warfare was much sharper for example. I'm waiting for the DF analysis. The day one update is ~600 mb.

Smokey

The impressions on the PS3 version seem great, glad I ordered that even though I have a PS4. Can't beat $25 difference. The graphics comparison doesn't seem that bad and I thought Far Cry 3 ran great on the PS3. Tomorrow guys! See you guys in Kyrat!

Get the last gen version even if you have a next gen console?! Well that's interesting.

Picked up a 970 over the weekend for DAi and got a code for a free copy of FC4. Should be a good way to benchmark my new card. Will have to find time to play this while marathoning DAI. ENjoyed FC3 so this should be fun

Damn that sucks, it's a 30gb dl btw

I know, worst part is VPN trick doesn't work with it, so I have to wait till proper release and wait another 5/6 hours for download.

Theecliff

Banned
Wat? Far Cry 3 ran like shit on PS3. The framerate was consistently in the low 20s.

XavandSo

Neo Member
Wat? Far Cry 3 ran like shit on PS3.
I had no problems with it. See my profile pic.
Edit: I also lock my PC to 30FPS locked even though it's pretty okay. The N64 desensitised me, man...
Get the last gen version even if you have a next gen console?! Well that's interesting.
Ever heard of the Rick Astley song "Never Gonna Give You Up?" My PS3 and I have had some great memories over the years and anything that can prolong it's life I will take up. Not to mention none of my friends have a PS4 and want to play FC4. I'm strange like that.

DirtyLarry

Already got my text message that it will be ready to pick up from my local Best Buy tomorrow. First game I was able to take advantage of Gamer Club unlocked and also had a $10 Reward Zone credit from Wolfenstein that was about to expire, so was able to pickit up for $42 including tax which is a great deal on a new release, and I have to say I am looking forward to playing it.
I skipped playing 3, just got overlooked for some reason even though I had rented it from GameFly, so I am not burned out at all on the series itself. I know this is definitely helping with my anticipation.
Nice.

Top Bottom