• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakamoto: Want more 2D Metroid? Buy Samus Returns

More like people pissing on others for not wanting to support a game on a system they don't want to continue supporting, or more importantly not buying it because it locks a difficulty mode behind a expensive hard to get plastic toy that was made before launch. But sure you can use your example if you want.

Why do you think I said "some" people and not just everyone.

LAA

You expect more games to be made without sales? Nintendo knows they don't make Metroid because of the sales and they're giving Metroid another chance

Well the problem with this is... we would have to support Metroid Federation Force and...wouldnt that send the message we want more Federation Force (which I at least definitely wouldn't).

And if the sales of Metroid are bad, which I can't believe, It's all been Nintendo's fault.
I really would put Metroid right next to Zelda in terms of their big IP, but same Nintendo hasn't really seemed to see that way for a while.

The game looks great so I'm already pretty much sold on it. I'll buy the game because it's a good game, not because of wanting future Metroid.

These quotes always come from japanese developers, and my guess is something is lost in the translation or cannot be properly translated.

I take it as a way to be humble more than a threat, but i could be wrong.

OmegaFax

I've said it a lot and I'll say it again: NIntendo can survive a string of failures. Metroid Prime 4 is already in the bag and at the very least, it's announced and they're committed to making that for the Switch. Metroid is far from dead.

The "blame the fans" or "we won't make anymore if you don't buy this one" line is such a low hanging fruit.

Eeeeh

As much as I want more, I'm probably going to skip. I'd rather play on Switch.

If there's enough positive word of mouth I might buy a copy and then play it on an emulator.

wwm0nkey

Eeeeh

As much as I want more, I'm probably going to skip. I'd rather play on Switch.

If there's enough positive word of mouth I might buy a copy and then play it on an emulator.
Honestly you could just do the latter regardless. I'm probably dumping my rom right after getting it lol

BaconHat

Given the thread title and some of the posts, i really thought the quote would be closer to the one made by Capcom.

As it is, it really does not seem to be more than a "if it sells well, then sure, we'll make others ."

KingBroly

Banned
I've said it a lot and I'll say it again: NIntendo can survive a string of failures. Metroid Prime 4 is already in the bag and at the very least, it's announced and they're committed to making that for the Switch. Metroid is far from dead.

The "blame the fans" or "we won't make anymore if you don't buy this one" line is such a low hanging fruit.

Don't be surprised if they say the same for Prime 4, whether or not Samus Returns fails.

G.ZZZ

Sakamoto is considering doing another of his garbage misoginist nonsense games and ruin metroid even more? Good to know that i'm doing the right thing not buying this metroid.

Anteo

Yup. Your favorite franchise is now hostage to sales. Better make sure your friends buy copies too. Don't forget the amiibos. This is just gross. Honestly, I want to support this game but the way they're going about it makes me hesitant.

lmao

Parshias7

Yup. Your favorite franchise is now hostage to sales. Better make sure your friends buy copies too. Don't forget the amiibos. This is just gross. Honestly, I want to support this game but the way they're going about it makes me hesitant.

SPOILERS:
Literally every franchise in existence is hostage to sales.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Oh hey its this tactic again!

"buy thing and maybe we'll make more thing"

These tests always pan out well right o.o?

I'm interested but not $40 interested so gonna wait abit for some kinda discount.

Oh hey its this tactic again!

"buy thing and maybe we'll make more thing"

These tests always pan out well right o.o?

I'm interested but not $40 interested so gonna wait abit for some kinda discount.

Literally his tone is "I'd like to make more of this and the possibility of it happening is more likely if it sells well"

Not "Go fuck yourself if you don't buy more this franchise is now Super Deadtroid™"

Beyond just hating these industry ultimatums... it's a remake. On the 3DS. When the switch is out for about six months. That is locking difficulty modes behind amiibos. Get fucked with this shit, Nintendo.

Really though, the thread title is coloring a more innocuous statement from a producer in a more threatening light to people here and that really didn't even need to be framed like that.

NolbertoS

Don't be overly dramatic. Metroid has a history of not having very high demand and that's all he's saying. He wants to keep making more games but unless demand increases dramatically the long periods between games will continue.

GPBZbFz.png

You want more 2D Metroid? Then don't let this be another Zero Mission.

Those Chartz numbers are pretty accurate to GAF. Thought GAF told me ******** numbers were all over the place???

Also Can't blame Big N for trying to light a fire under this franchises ass and make it like a Super Smash Bros sales bonanza. I will doible dip on Metroid. This franchise needs to become a cornerstone for Nintendo franchise sales again.

Yup, not interested in buying 3ds games even if it has a better lineup for 2017 than the damn switch.

This is before the amiibo crap is factored in which is enough to change it from maybe to never.
You are delusional if you think the 3DS lineup this year is better than the Switch lineup. I love my 3DS, and I think the lineup This year for it has been pretty good, but the Switch has literally all of Nintendo's heavy hitters. It's shaping up to have arguably the best launch year of any Nintendo console

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Literally his tone is "I'd like to make more of this and the possibility of it happening is more likely if it sells well"

Not "Go fuck yourself if you don't buy more this franchise is now Super Deadtroid™"
It doesn't come across that way an its hard not ta read this as the same old, same worded threat countless other devs have spewed over the years -_-

Whether this sells well enough or not they'll pull out a Fusion remake eventually and / or a long awaited 2D Metroid 5. Sure the wait time between this game and the next could be cut drastically shorter if it does sell well but I'd bank on more coming no matter what.

120v

i don't get these threads. what else is a dev or spox supposed to say other than, "well. we just released X game, so we'll see how it goes from here..."

3DS has A LOT more units out there than Switch

And PS3 has a lot more units sold than PS4 still. 360 has way more units sold than XBO. People spent the first year of the new gen complaining about multiplats with last gen, switch owners are not even getting that luxury. The new hotness is out. Maybe time to ease up on the last gen exclusives, especially if you want to also burden the releases with anticonsumer garbage like amiibo dlc.

I basically bought a New 3DS XL for this game. Can't wait. I like the 3DS, not interested in the first generation of the Switch yet. I'll get the inevitable second or third revision. Metroid doesn't need the hardware power that much anyway.

The Amiibo bullshit is horrendous but I'll never buy one of those lame toys so problem solved.

Alex

Should have put it on both Switch and 3DS. Seems like the logical conclusion for the situation.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Holy shit shut up Sakamoto, please. Make a new episode like everybody's been asking, on a new system like everybody expects, instead of a remake on a dying outdated platform, and we'll see how that performs. Is this a Capcom test or something?

Also, when I read things like "Through the development of Metroid: Samus Returns, I was able to really grasp the possibility and fun of a 2D Metroid." Are you telling us you didn't know that 2D Metroid was fun or what made it fun? You're only one of the creators of Metroid, you should know. And if you didn't, Nintendo shouldn't let you make one in the first place... Wait a minute, of course he didn't know: he made Metroid Other M.

Opa-Pa

It's so weird to have both people who own a 3DS but aren't getting this game due to wanting it on Switch instead and people who bought a 3DS /for this game/, in the same thread. Wow.

No thanks @ 30fps 2D Metroid (or any 30fps 2D game tbh)
Double no thanks @ last gen handheld

I'll buy the Definitive Edition on Switch at 60fps.

HeeHo

Thread title makes it sound worse than what is actually said but:

I do want me some 2D Metroid. I just don't really care to play stuff on my 3DS (i'm a sucker for trophies) that much anymore and I especially don't want to support basic features like hard mode being stuck behind an expensive figurine.

It's 3DS exclusive so in my eyes it may as well not exist. Buying a game out of paranoid fear of future releases is a sucker's errand. I'll be buying Prime 4.

wwm0nkey

And PS3 has a lot more units sold than PS4 still. 360 has way more units sold than XBO. People spent the first year of the new gen complaining about multiplats with last gen, switch owners are not even getting that luxury. The new hotness is out. Maybe time to ease up on the last gen exclusives, especially if you want to also burden the releases with anticonsumer garbage like amiibo dlc.

The PS3 and 360 are wayyyy older than their counterparts, the Switch hasn't even been out a year. Now I would have preferred if it ALSO came out on Switch, but it will do just fine. DS, 360 and PS3 games sold just fine with the next gen version of them being out.

That being said, this is the last year for 3DS I think

Top Bottom