• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

deoee

I think the DT770 Pro 80s would make a nice compliment to the HD598s. They still have a decent soundstage for closed headphone, and they're quite well balanced despite having boosted bass.

It's funny that they cost less than the M50s, despite being superior in every way.

"Problem" is, I've heard similar things about the M50x.

People say, the DT770 can get annoying after longer times because of the peaking Highs but the M50x seem to be less comfortable...

I can return the cans for 33days so maybe I'll order both and decide?

I'm still looking for more advice tho :3

HiResDes

"Problem" is, I've heard similar things about the M50x.

People say, the DT770 can get annoying after longer times because of the peaking Highs but the M50x seem to be less comfortable...

I can return the cans for 33days so maybe I'll order both and decide?

I'm still looking for more advice tho :3
They're both peaky, but I'd say the M50X are more peaky, I'd agree when amped a little I'd rather have the DT770

Though they're a bit out of your price range id highly recommend the Blue Lola and if you can find them the Fischer FA-011

deoee

They're both peaky, but I'd say the M50X are more peaky, I'd agree when amped a little I'd rather have the DT770

According to this:

graphCompare.php

It's the other way around?

Tommy DJ

Yes, you're correct. The DT770 is peaky enough to cause hearing damage, like a lot of "fun" headphones if you're not careful about listening volume.

Only the DT770 has a really significant V shaped sound so if you want a "fun" headphone (what does this even mean? I would think good headphones are always fun), that's your obvious choice.

Realistically, I'd either use that 33 day trial period and try both so you have an idea of what different sound signature are like...and then I would get neither. The DT770 are not bad but you've already got the HD598...I don't think there's any point wasting money on more mid-fi products. Of course that depends on your ethics as trying a bunch of products without any intention of buying can be seen as abusing a generous return policy.

deoee

Yes, you're correct. The DT770 is peaky enough to cause hearing damage, like a lot of "fun" headphones if you're not careful about listening volume.

Only the DT770 has a really significant V shaped sound so if you want a "fun" headphone (what does this even mean? I would think good headphones are always fun), that's your obvious choice.

Realistically, I'd either use that 33 day trial period and try both so you have an idea of what different sound signature are like...and then I would get neither. The DT770 are not bad but you've already got the HD598...I don't think there's any point wasting money on more mid-fi products. Of course that depends on your ethics as trying a bunch of products without any intention of buying can be seen as abusing a generous return policy.
Yeah, basically "fun" is something with more bass and treble (V-Shaped) than the Sennheiser which can sound very warm and analytic.

What upgrade would you suggest then?

Also, I have the intention of keeping one of them :)

X-Frame

EDIT: Re-writing my post since I didn't want to post again. Basically, I'm trying to find the "best" combination of the products I already own to see if I can hook up to my PS4 Pro for gaming and still chat with friends.

Owned Headphones

HE-400i
Sennheiser HD598 Open
Sennheiser HD598 Closed

Owned DAC/AMP's

Schitt Magni 2 Uber
Schitt Modi 2 Uber
FiiO E10K
DragonFly Red

Source

PS4 Pro (No receiver, hooked up directly to my TV via HDMI. I also sit about 10 feet away from my TV/PS4 Pro)

Thoughts? A lot of gamers are using a Mixamp like this but I already have a Magni 2 Uber, so not sure if I really need that.

matmanx1

Got the Sennheiser 598Cs but once I used them I realized I can't use these type of headphones. I guess they HAVE to be open... The suction cup feeling or whatever just hurts the insides of my ears. But I had otitis media as a child and tubes in both ears so my ears are pretty sensitive anyway. Astro A40 presses against my ears too hard. So does the Sony Gold Wireless headset. The only headphones I've been able to use is my old Sennheiser HD515. But they died a few months ago so I need a replacement.

Any ideas? Something up to $100 preferably. Wireless would be cool but not needed.

I too am sensitive to certain types of headphones and clamping issues. You would probably have to pay a little more than $100 for them but you might want to look in to the Sony MDR-1A which is supposed to be very comfortable and weighs less than 8 ounces / 225 grams. Going rate for a used or refurbished set is about $130 it looks like. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDR-1A...078474?hash=item1a2207ae8a:g:HfEAAOSw241YZQQI

Review here: https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-mdr-1a/

If you want to invest in an extremely comfortable set with almost no clamping force then the Sony MA900's are amazing. Open backed, huuuge sound stage and light as a feather. They are discontinued and prices are heading up because of that but they are my go to set for gaming and I can wear them for hours with no discomfort. I paid about $250 for mine brand new from a seller on Amazon.com from Japan.

EDIT: Re-writing my post since I didn't want to post again. Basically, I'm trying to find the "best" combination of the products I already own to see if I can hook up to my PS4 Pro for gaming and still chat with friends.

Owned Headphones

HE-400i
Sennheiser HD598 Open
Sennheiser HD598 Closed

Owned DAC/AMP's

Schitt Magni 2 Uber
Schitt Modi 2 Uber
FiiO E10K
DragonFly Red

Source

PS4 Pro (No receiver, hooked up directly to my TV via HDMI. I also sit about 10 feet away from my TV/PS4 Pro)

Thoughts? A lot of gamers are using a Mixamp like this but I already have a Magni 2 Uber, so not sure if I really need that.

PS4 Pro has TOSLINK out (optical), right?
If yes, then simply connect your PS4 Pro with TOSLINK to Schiit Modi 2 Uber.
Just get any mic (ModMic v4/v5 or V Mooda if you have the $$$) and hook it up to your Dualshock controller and you're good to go.
That's how I have my OG PS4 setup (TOSLINK to Schiit Modi 2 Uber, too) and it works like a charm. The only annoying thing is that every time you connect the microphone to your DS4 you have to go to audio options and separate the mic and audio out.

deoee

I own the Sennheiser HD598 and while they sound really great with certain types of music and have an incredible soundstage and detail I want to try out some more "fun" cans.

Currently theres a promotion(until tomorrow) for many cans at https://www.session.de/ (you get 24€ off) and I was thinking about picking up either the DT770 80 OHM (98€) or ATH-M50X (117€).

I own a Fiio E10k so driving them won't be a problem.
Any recommendations on one of those two or ANY other Headphones on that site for ~110€ ?

Thank you for any advice :)

Alternative is the Philips X2 for 195€ today

X-Frame

PS4 Pro has TOSLINK out (optical), right?
If yes, then simply connect your PS4 Pro with TOSLINK to Schiit Modi 2 Uber.
Just get any mic (ModMic v4/v5 or V Mooda if you have the $$$) and hook it up to your Dualshock controller and you're good to go.
That's how I have my OG PS4 setup (TOSLINK to Schiit Modi 2 Uber, too) and it works like a charm. The only annoying thing is that every time you connect the microphone to your DS4 you have to go to audio options and separate the mic and audio out.

Thanks! Yes it does. I am going to try this, I just put in an order on Monoprice for some Toslink to Toslink cables. I still find it amazing how Best Buy sells similar cables for $19.99 whereas Monoprice they are $1.50.

And unfortunately it seems none of my headphones have the 3.5mm plug to support the V-Moda Boompro mic, so I'll check out a cheap ModMic 4 (I know the 5 is out but it seems too expensive).

I'll see how I like this setup and worst comes to worst I can always pick up that Astro Mixamp for more chat flexibility if I really need it. Like you said switching each time in the settings could get a bit annoying.

I wonder if I could still then use the Schiit Magni 2 Uber along with the Mixamp for more power (via Toslink again).

Thanks for the help!

nitewulf

Fostex TH-X00 massdrop is on:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00

So I've been using the Oppo PM-3 in commute and really enjoying the way it sounds so far. It's comfortable, creates a very good seal against external noise. The sound is dynamic, resolving and very smooth and natural to listen to. It's quite enjoyable. I'm really, really looking forward to the E-MU Teak though...can't wait to hear how much better that pair will sound!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Dunno about better, sounds more like it'll be a different signature, though it'll be better for me because I'm not too big of a fan of the oppo pm3

nitewulf

Dunno about better, sounds more like it'll be a different signature, though it'll be better for me because I'm not too big of a fan of the oppo pm3

Well I auditioned the Oppo, Fostex TH610, Audeze Sine and felt the Fostex was the best sounding (to me), and the E-Mu uses the same drivers and essentially a very similar design, so they should sound similar. They are just very big and I didn't feel were very portable, Oppo is perfect for that, but I wouldn't mind having two different high quality phones to play around with and switch it up from time to time.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Fostex TH-X00 massdrop is on:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00

So I've been using the Oppo PM-3 in commute and really enjoying the way it sounds so far. It's comfortable, creates a very good seal against external noise. The sound is dynamic, resolving and very smooth and natural to listen to. It's quite enjoyable. I'm really, really looking forward to the E-MU Teak though...can't wait to hear how much better that pair will sound!

I can't eff with the TH-X00. The non-changeable cable is a non-starter.

I am very, very tempted to try to get in on the next E-MU drop though. The PM-3 is great for travel, but I need a bassy closed set for home. While I love my open back FA-011 more than anything, I can't be blasting my brand of Hip-Hop with the kids around.

PM-3 on the go, FA-011 when I'm home alone, and E-MU for when I'm surrounded, sounds like my perfect setup.

LQX

Speaking of the E-MU with detachable cables...I'm pretty sure someone here said they joined the last drop. Please drop some feedback on them.

nitewulf

PM-3 on the go, FA-011 when I'm home alone, and E-MU for when I'm surrounded, sounds like my perfect setup.

I have a very good speaker setup for music at home...but I'm also an audiophile and a sucker for gear, I couldn't forget how much better (how much more I enjoyed listening to it than the others) the Fostex was, yet couldn't justify the price (the store was asking $600 compared to $500 at Amazon) as well as get over the size. But after going through several reviews I had to get in on the E-Mu, it'll be good for longer trips and chilling at the park during summer.

But I don't regret getting the PM3 at all, well mastered recordings of all genres really do sound amazing through it.

nitewulf

While I love my open back FA-011 more than anything, I can't be blasting my brand of Hip-Hop with the kids around.

Be aware, all these are semi open, they have vents and that's why they sound so big and open. So sound will leak out, don't know if to the extent the lyrics would be audible by your kids though...I suggest going somewhere and auditioning the Fostex pair.

Speaking of the E-MU with detachable cables...I'm pretty sure someone here said they joined the last drop. Please drop some feedback on them.

Yep, will do.

matmanx1

Oh, the E-Mu stuff has removable cables? That is a nice bonus. It's a shame the TH-X00 line doesn't. Otherwise the TH-X00 sounds like a great set.

Edit- Even with the non removable cable the TH-X00 is getting so much praise that I'm going to take a chance on it. I'll put it head to head with the Meze 99 Classics and just keep whichever one I like better. It should be an interesting comparison.

Been a while since I've posted here, just wondering if I need an amp for my hd598's.
Mainly just watch movies and Netflix.
If so, any good bang for buck amps/DACs

yonder

Probably don't really need one, but the Schiit Fulla 2 would be a good upgrade for not much coin.
Might as well get the Fulla 1 for 59 bucks if it's just for Netflix. Actually, even that seems unnecessary, but it might be nice to get a volume knob.

Might as well get the Fulla 1 for 59 bucks if it's just for Netflix. Actually, even that seems unnecessary, but it might be nice to get a volume knob.

If your spending $60 already, might as well spend the extra $40 for a device with a lot better internals and tons of features in comparison.

X-Frame

Yeah pretty darn hard to do better than the Fulla (Schiit) 2 for a cheap but great DAC/amp combo.

Btw, Schiit cracks me up with their names.

How does the Fulla 2 compare to the Dragonfly Red or Black?

Also, Massdrop of the K7XX just seemed to drop. I don't know how to link the guest link though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The DF red is not as powerful for one thing. It's fine for IEMs but I was never fully satisfied with it for my HD600.

Also slightly warmer to the fulla 2's neutrality. Tends to smear over some transients.

chunk3rvd

After some advice as a complete audio noob. Just got my first decent set of headphones to use with my PS4 - the HD 598 Cs that were on sale before Christmas. So far they're a nice upgrade to my Sony Silvers and far more comfortable. Don't feel like I have my head in a vice anymore!

A lot of people said that running them out of the controller was a bad idea but I was looking at up to £100 for a Mixamp Pro so I went with a budget option to ease myself in. Grabbed a 1st gen Earforce DSS off eBay for £8, a 3m optical cable and a 3m micro USB cable. Running the 2 cables out the back of my PS4 Pro into the DSS on my couch and plugging the headphones into that. Played with it last night for an hour and the sound is definitely a decent step up for the small cost I laid out.

Just wondering if there's anything I should know? It has a few settings on the DSS - an input volume wheel, bass wheel and a 5.1 button. Should I set any of those in a particular way? Is the virtual surround sound decent or bullshit that should be left off like TV post processing? I'm guessing if I want to use a mic the setup gets a little more complicated? Reading that I need to get a separate mic and run that into the controller?

Cheska

Guys, I'm hoping that you guys can possibly help me. I do a lot of portable gaming, especially on my 3DS and my Vita. I find IEM's to generally be my preferred method of listening to games, but the single biggest problem I have is that I have not been successful in finding a pair of headphones that won't fall out of my ears. I have tried some Bose's, Beats URBeats, Yurbuds, but still having trouble finding something that is comfortable and stays in place.

The only pair that has been decent has been a pair of Panasonic cheapo buds, but they aren't tangle free and admittedly, it's a major pain in the ass to unravel them each time I use them.

Anyone have any recommendations? A lot of websites suggest wireless headphones, but I already have a pair of powerbeats that I use for exercising, and they can't be connected to products that don't have bluetooth capabilities (such as the 3DS).

Would ideally prefer to stay sub $100.

matmanx1

Guys, I'm hoping that you guys can possibly help me. I do a lot of portable gaming, especially on my 3DS and my Vita. I find IEM's to generally be my preferred method of listening to games, but the single biggest problem I have is that I have not been successful in finding a pair of headphones that won't fall out of my ears. I have tried some Bose's, Beats URBeats, Yurbuds, but still having trouble finding something that is comfortable and stays in place.

The only pair that has been decent has been a pair of Panasonic cheapo buds, but they aren't tangle free and admittedly, it's a major pain in the ass to unravel them each time I use them.

Anyone have any recommendations? A lot of websites suggest wireless headphones, but I already have a pair of powerbeats that I use for exercising, and they can't be connected to products that don't have bluetooth capabilities (such as the 3DS).

Would ideally prefer to stay sub $100.

I think there's probably a ton of good items out there but I can only speak to what I have used and enjoyed. Right now I am using the Sony MDR-EX650 and have really gotten good use out of them. I use them while exercising and I used them on my 3DS and Vita when I still had them. They stay in my ear and the tips are really comfortable and feel high quality and the cord doesn't get tangled.

I'm showing about $65 on Amazon right now - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZD3ROQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Totakeke

Sennheiser is going to send all HD6xx owners a 6ft cable. Awesome. Was definitely going to get a longer cable eventually so this is a welcome surprise.

X-Frame

Is there any issue with possibly having the Schiit Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber on for hours at a time? No overheating or anything?

I plan on hooking the stack up to my PS4 and sometimes I could be gaming for a few hours at a time.

LQX

Sennheiser is going to send all HD6xx owners a 6ft cable. Awesome. Was definitely going to get a longer cable eventually so this is a welcome surprise.

Nice. I was contemplating trying my hand at making some balanced cables rather than paying $60 or more on Ebay so this is a perfect opportunity to get some good tools as I save on buying the cable itself.

Also, I'm glad they owned up to what was in the description. Many were calling out others for being greedy and entitled but that's what was in the description.

yonder

Managed to pick up some used Sennheiser Momentum 1st gen for the equivalent of $50 and couldn't be happier with them. I have really small ears, so the fit is not a problem for me. The sound is just fantastic: everything sounds so warm, intimate and pleasant. I listened to the M2s about a year ago but don't remember being this impressed with them.

So if anyone out there with small ears is in need of a good sealed pair, try to track down a used pair of Momentums.

deoee

Just got the ATH M50X and Fidelio X2 and gotta give them a listen.

Coming from the HD598 they both have a whole different feel to them, I'm very excited

X-Frame

Coming from the HD598 they both have a whole different feel to them, I'm very excited

My next purchase is 99% likely going to be the X2's to compliment my HE-400i's. I also have the HD598's too. Hopefully you like them!

Nice! From that session.de sale?
M50X was my first "real audio" purchase and although I liked them for music, they weren't really comfortable and was totally unimpressed with them in games (virtually no soundstage, lack of clarity, ...).
Since gaming is 90% of my use, and music only 10%, I sold them to a friend and got myself beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. Night and day difference. :) Really happy with them.

Heard a lot of good things about X2 , and they often come recommended. Haven't tried them myself personally.

Have fun!

Duxxy3

I own the Sennheiser HD598 and while they sound really great with certain types of music and have an incredible soundstage and detail I want to try out some more "fun" cans.

Currently theres a promotion(until tomorrow) for many cans at https://www.session.de/ (you get 24€ off) and I was thinking about picking up either the DT770 80 OHM (98€) or ATH-M50X (117€).

I own a Fiio E10k so driving them won't be a problem.
Any recommendations on one of those two or ANY other Headphones on that site for ~110€ ?

Thank you for any advice :)

I have the M50x, HD598 and DT770 80.

I have them for different purposes. The M50x's are solely for music. They're my fun set of headphones. Trash for gaming. DT770's are my everything headphone. Music, gaming, movies. Good at just about everything, but not as a fun as the M50x and not as accurate as... HD598's. Those are used almost solely for gaming at this point. Incredible for shooters. Good for music, but I have a strong preference for the M50x in that area.

Sorry I'm a little late to this.

First time delving into the audiophile world... am I doing it right?

5VGNgRJ.jpeg

YKcctAv.jpeg

t0NH0e9.jpeg

Album

Seriously though, how much of a difference would I get by upgrading the Fiio to a better stand alone DAC?

As it is I hear a noise whenever my computer is under heavy load even when nothing is playing. It makes playing video games really annoying when there is supposed to be a silent scene. I am thinking this may be dirty power through the USB and was wondering if any of you would know if something like the jitterbug or just a DAC with an outboard power source would fix this?

EDIT: Also, never ever clean anything you are about to take glamor shots of with a cloth if you haven't checked it for lint... Lesson learnt.

Cheska

I think there's probably a ton of good items out there but I can only speak to what I have used and enjoyed. Right now I am using the Sony MDR-EX650 and have really gotten good use out of them. I use them while exercising and I used them on my 3DS and Vita when I still had them. They stay in my ear and the tips are really comfortable and feel high quality and the cord doesn't get tangled.

I'm showing about $65 on Amazon right now - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZD3ROQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thank you for the recommendation! I'll definitely look into these! There are a couple of Sony headphones that seem to be pretty popular.

Anyone have any experience with the Sony MDRXB50AP?

Top Bottom