• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Quikies83

My top albums of 2016

Khemmis - Hunted
Messa - Belfry
Alcest - Kodama
Lycus - Chasms
Eye of Solitude - Cenotaph
Clouds - Departs
Mizmor - Yodh
King Goat - Conduit
Darkher - Realms
Haunted - Haunted

I need tips on more albums with this sound and production

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTFS3U1eU3s
Scott Burns is the producer, dude did most Florida/US death metal in the early 90s. Some people see it to a fault, as a lot of the albums really sound similar, but personally that's my favorite sound for that style. I think the only one I don't dig is Exhorder's Slaughter In The Vatican because they deliberately changed their sound to try and match Sepultura's Beneath The Remains. The album sounds fine but if you listen to their second album The Law it's fuckin killer

Other Burns productions:
Gorguts - The Erosion Of Sanity
Deicide - Once Upon The Cross

Others similar stylistically/production-wise (or both):
Pyrexia - Sermon Of Mockery
Severed Savior - Servile Insurrection
Epicardiectomy - Putriseminal Morphodysplastic Virulency
Abnormality - Contaminating The Hive Mind
Dehumanized - Prophecies Foretold
Aborted - Engineering The Dead

Hi guys! I'm not really a metal guy, but looking for some recommendations. I'm looking for metal bands that aren't solely the screaming/grunting vocal style (no offense, just not for me) - more melodic but still metal.

Two not-really-metal bands I love are TOOL and AFI - good melodic vocals with occasional screams on top of sometimes soft, slow instrumentals with huge bursts of heavy sonic awesomeness. So I'm looking for something along those lines but... more metal I guess.

I'm also really, really digging Alcest which I've seen a few people mention. Right up my alley. This Kodama album is amazing.

So melodic metal I guess? Or "art metal?" I don't know.

Kind of vague and somewhat disparate preferences, I know, but can anyone recommend a band or two?

Hi guys! I'm not really a metal guy, but looking for some recommendations. I'm looking for metal bands that aren't solely the screaming/grunting vocal style (no offense, just not for me) - more melodic but still metal.

Two not-really-metal bands I love are TOOL and AFI - good melodic vocals with occasional screams on top of sometimes soft, slow instrumentals with huge bursts of heavy sonic awesomeness. So I'm looking for something along those lines but... more metal I guess.

I'm also really, really digging Alcest which I've seen a few people mention. Right up my alley. This Kodama album is amazing.

Kind of vague and somewhat disparate preferences, I know, but can anyone recommend a band or two?
Lantlos - .neon (for something along the lines of Alcest. Same vocalist on this album)
Faith No More (anything but I picked Album Of The Year because it's probably more accessible if you're looking for AFI/Tool. Angel Dust is my fav)
Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine

Thanks!

Loving Lantlos. This is what I'm looking for I think.

I haven't listened to Faith No More since Epic. Liking what I'm hearing, though looking for more stuff along the lines of Alcest/Lantlos. I think I threw you off with AFI.

Devin Townsend - Not bad, maybe a little slicker than what I'm looking for production-wise though.

Solefald - Neonism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgLWuCWHHEc

Thanks!

Loving Lantlos. This is what I'm looking for I think.

I haven't listened to Faith No More since Epic. Liking what I'm hearing, though looking for more stuff along the lines of Alcest/Lantlos. I think I threw you off with AFI.

Devin Townsend - Not bad, maybe a little slicker than what I'm looking for production-wise though.
Lantlos and Alcest are both what's considered Blackgaze (a mix of black metal and shoegaze). A lot of the bands in that style end up ditching the black metal after an album or two (Lantlos did, Alcest actually came back with Kodama). You might dig the band Deafheaven and their album Sunbather. I don't like them at all but they are easily the most popular in that area at the moment

And yeah I thought from AFI/Tool you were looking for some...I guess "alternative" sounding stuff as well. Modern AFI draws from a lot of post-punk type stuff (which does have crossover with shoegaze). It's not really metal but you could check out 80's post-punk shit like Killing Joke. Their album Night Time is one of my favorites

Lantlos and Alcest are both what's considered Blackgaze (a mix of black metal and shoegaze). A lot of the bands in that style end up ditching the black metal after an album or two (Lantlos did, Alcest actually came back with Kodama). You might dig the band Deafheaven and their album Sunbather. I don't like them at all but they are easily the most popular in that area at the moment

And yeah I thought from AFI/Tool you were looking for some...I guess "alternative" sounding stuff as well. Modern AFI draws from a lot of post-punk type stuff (which does have crossover with shoegaze). It's not really metal but you could check out 80's post-punk shit like Killing Joke. Their album Night Time is one of my favorites

Wow - this is off topic I guess but the Killing Joke influence is super obvious with AFI's more recent stuff (post-Sing the Sorrow I guess). I've definitely heard of them but never listened to them. Davey Havok's vocal style (AFI) sounds a LOT like Jaz Coleman's (KJ).

Anything with a shoegaze crossover makes sense. I like My Bloody Valentine, Bardo Pond, Brian Jonestown Massacre, and Catherine Wheel.

And yeah I've listened to Deathheaven, I like everything except the vocals. Same with Altar of Plagues.

I'm digging Les Discrets, Ghost Bath (which has some screaming as well but its more of a background instrument), Solstafir, Vaura, and Ulver.

Thanks for all the suggestions - Spotify is leading me into some good stuff.

GutsOfThor

Morbid Angel, Suffocation and some other bands are touring the U.S. this year!

15965155_10154887653552748_2945395055554474533_n.jpg

choodi

Banned

Try Katatonia, Anathema, Amorphis, Solefald, Year of the Goat, Green Carnation, Orphaned Land.

I'd link some songs but I'm on mobile right now.

strafer

Scott Burns is the producer, dude did most Florida/US death metal in the early 90s. Some people see it to a fault, as a lot of the albums really sound similar, but personally that's my favorite sound for that style. I think the only one I don't dig is Exhorder's Slaughter In The Vatican because they deliberately changed their sound to try and match Sepultura's Beneath The Remains. The album sounds fine but if you listen to their second album The Law it's fuckin killer

Other Burns productions:
Gorguts - The Erosion Of Sanity
Deicide - Once Upon The Cross

Others similar stylistically/production-wise (or both):
Pyrexia - Sermon Of Mockery
Severed Savior - Servile Insurrection
Epicardiectomy - Putriseminal Morphodysplastic Virulency
Abnormality - Contaminating The Hive Mind
Dehumanized - Prophecies Foretold
Aborted - Engineering The Dead

Many thanks! Will look into these bands.

Well in 24 hours I went from asking for recommendations a few posts up to discovering a new genre and bands I love and buying tickets to go see Alcest next month. Can't wait. Thanks MetalGAF!

Hela

I stumbled onto Thrawsunblat today and I have to say that their 2016 album Metachthonia is absolutely tremendous.
Had I listened to it earlier it would definitely have made it's way onto my top10 of 2016 which by the way is:

Vektor - Terminal Redux
Moonsorrow - Jumalten Aika
Wildhunt - (2016) Descending
UADA - (2016) Devoid of Light
Thy Catafalque - (2016) Meta
Saor - (2016) Guardians
Hellbringer - (2016) Awakened From The Abyss
Conceived by Hate - (2016) Death & Beyond
Khemmis - (2016) Hunted
RAGEHAMMER - (2016) The Hammer Doctrine

Top 3 in the correct order, the rest is kinda random, though I'd substitue Khemmis with Thrawsunblat now and I highly recommend it to anyone - https://thrawsunblat.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csOb_z6j5kI

Also, lots of honourable mentions for a really great year for extreme metal overall in my opinion:
Witherscape - (2016) The Northern Sanctuary
Chthe-ilist - (2016) Le Dernier Crepuscule
Ihsahn - (2016) Arktis
Aenaon - (2016) Hypnosophy
Destroyer 666 - (2016) Wildfire
Sodom - (2016) Decision Day
Testament - (2016) Brotherhood Of The Snake
Hail Spirit Noir - (2016) Mayhem In Blue
Deathspell Omega - (2016) The Synarchy of Molten Bones
Eternal Champion - (2016)The Armor of Ire
Hesychast - (2016) Ageless
Eldamar - (2016) - The Force Of The Ancient Land
Oak Pantheon - (2016) In Pieces
AGATUS - (2016) The Eternalist

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Absolutely loving this new Code Orange album dudes. Some heavy fucking tunes on this thing and some melodic moments that I really love. I kind of liked their last album but it got old fast. This new one though I can't stop listening too.

Ravager61

I've had a subscription to Decibel for a few years now. It's not a bad magazine, although they give pretty much everything a 7 or above in their reviews. It's good bathroom reading. The hall of fame articles in particular are generally great.

Tankard

Sorry for super late reply but
Hammers of Misfortune
Khemmis
Insomnium
Alcest
Dark Tranquility

Though i've still gotta go through the rest of your list

Cool that you have been enjoying these.

I guess the sentiment that there are simply no innovation or good newcomers these days for Metal are a constant theme, i have a lot of friends that share the same feeling. I don't know if it's because i'm constantly looking for new stuff, but for my taste i always find a least some new bands or new stuff from old and forgotten bands that are really good, i think a major problem is that these bands probably will never be, what we call in my country, Arena Bands, they won't set the world on fire and you will have to do some scalping to find something very good.

I need tips on more albums with this sound and production

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTFS3U1eU3s

to start, familiarizing yourself with the early works of Unique Leader will help out a lot but if I were to recommend one of the older essential Burns albums it would be Malevolent Creation's Retribution.

Deeds of Flesh (CA) - Mark of the Legion

old-middle Deeds is some of the best brutal/technical death metal ever. Mark of the Legion is my personal favorite and while it is mostly a faster album with less of that proto slam heaviness, it shares notable traits with Suffocation. The follow up album Reduced to Ashes is also stylistically similar and has even more of that great melodic sense that Suffocation tends to have, however the thin production is one of the reasons I like this album over it. Still, The Endurance is a masterpiece.

Pyaemia (NLD) - Cerebral Cereal

Dutch classic that is not to be overlooked in the realm of OSBDM.

Inveracity (GRC) - Circle of Perversion

see above, but Greek. Really obvious fans of Suffocation but a classic nonetheless.

Decrepit Birth (CA) - ...And Time Begins

the first and best Decrepit Birth, when they were true to the original brutal/tech style.

Tankard

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That did sound just like Bolt Thrower hah. Kind of weird that they didn't just keep going with the name, since their drummer was formerly of BT too. Maybe the guitarist and bassist weren't interested though.

I posted this in the "these songs start the same" thread but it also belongs in this thread:

"Reminds me of this opening riff:
Venom
Iron Maiden
Mercyful Fate
Helloween
"

Memoriam sounds exactly like Bolt Thrower but seeing as there was probably never going to be another Bolt Thrower album that's fine with me. Listening to Andrew Whale drum again after all these years is awesome. He's the best part of old school Bolt Thrower if you ask me. The drumming on The IVth Crusade is flawless.

A new Cranial Engorgement song dropped and it's sick. This album is going to slay. Those John Gallagher are making me want a new Dying Fetus album!

Bitanator

I posted this in the "these songs start the same" thread but it also belongs in this thread:

"Reminds me of this opening riff:
Venom
Iron Maiden
Mercyful Fate
Helloween
"

Memoriam sounds exactly like Bolt Thrower but seeing as there was probably never going to be another Bolt Thrower album that's fine with me. Listening to Andrew Whale drum again after all these years is awesome. He's the best part of old school Bolt Thrower if you ask me. The drumming on The IVth Crusade is flawless.

A new Cranial Engorgement song dropped and it's sick. This album is going to slay. Those John Gallagher are making me want a new Dying Fetus album!

Two minutes to midnight riff has many variations from bands of that era, I'd argue NWOBHM most famous riff, it is like the village bike, passed around a bunch and made most famous by Iron Maiden

obin_gam

Top 11
1. Uada - Devoid of Light https://youtu.be/C4_C9lqKkJg
That special flame that was ignited by Dissection, and carried forth by Watain has now been forwarded to the dark woods of Portland, Or. These guys are going the be huge in the black metal scene. Because of the simple fact that they make GREAT FUCKING BLACK METAL.

2. Ihsahn - Arktis
Satanic Sexy Saxophones

3. Witchcraft - Nucleus
The 70s has never sounded this modern <3

4. Trees of Eternity Hour of the Nightingale
RIP. With their one album, they did what many bands never has achieved.

5. Zeal & Ardor - Devil is Fine
omfg.

5. Sabaton - The Last Stand
Beer metal. Bestest beer metal.

6. Fleshgod Apocalypse - King
Catchy as fuck. Also the coolest cover of the year.

7. Amon Amarth - Jomsviking
When you just want to headbang.

8. Vektor - Terminal Redux
Contiuning their voyage to the center of the blackened thrash universe.

9. Katatonia - The Fall of Hearts
Epic, calm, wonderful, beautiful.

10. Hammerfall - Built to last https://youtu.be/7EBB26EXopg
I became a metal head with the help of Crimson Thunder way back when, so these guys are always going to have a special place in my heart. But After 2006s Threshold, they never returned to that special hammer-sound. Until now. This album sounds like CR and Renegade I and couldn't be happier for it!

Two minutes to midnight riff has many variations from bands of that era, I'd argue NWOBHM most famous riff, it is like the village bike, passed around a bunch and made most famous by Iron Maiden

I'll take that riff over some sweeping 200 bpm tech-death bullshit any day of the week! The era of cramming as many notes into a single song as possible is dead. Upon the rotting corpse of tech-death crawls SLAM.

(I'm just looking for an excuse to post Flesh Tailor because goddamn that song is great, slammage at 1:28 is so sickening)

Palmer27

Recently supported Ne Obliviscaris's patreon. Curious what people's thoughts are on the model?

Downloaded Hiraeth and From Sarabande to Nihil:
In summary both albums reminded me what I love about NeO whilst clearly not being on the same plane as either studio albums. As far as off-cuttings go, I'm still glowing to have either in my collection.

RDreamer

Recently supported Ne Obliviscaris's patreon. Curious what people's thoughts are on the model?

In summary both albums reminded me what I love about NeO whilst clearly not being on the same plane as either studio albums. As far as off-cuttings go, I'm still glowing to have either in my collection.

I also jumped on for both those EPs. They're good stuff. Not quite as good as their full lengths, but definitely worth having.

As for the model, I dunno. I wish them luck and hope they find success because I want more music from them. I'm not sure I'll stay subscribed because I dunno what they could really give me for $5 a month or whatever it ends up being.

I'm behind the general idea but I think the payout right now doesn't add up. So according to them the idea is to have a stable income to be able to make music full time and to increase the amount of money that goes directly to them instead of to the label. Awesome!

But: Even if I spend just 1$ a month and they pump out one album per 2 years they already got 24$ (maybe 20 if you subtract the Patreon cut) directly to them which should be a lot more than they would have gotten if I bought their album. I honestly feel like every Patron who spent a certain amount (and I'm talking way below triple digits) since the last album should get a digital download of the next album for free. Afaik that's currently not the case, right?

Top Bottom