• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happiness report: Norway is the happiest place on Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Norway is the happiest place on Earth, according to a United Nations agency report - toppling neighbour Denmark from the number one position.

The World Happiness Report measures "subjective well-being" - how happy the people are, and why.

Denmark, Iceland, Switzerland and and Finland round out the top five, while the Central African Republic came last.

Western Europe and North America dominated the top of table, with the US and UK at 14th and 19th, respectively.

Countries in sub-Saharan Africa and those hit by conflict have predictably low scores. Syria placed 152 of 155 countries - Yemen and South Sudan, which are facing impending famine, came in at 146 and 147.

The World Happiness Report was released to coincide with the United Nations' International Day of Happiness on 20 March.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-39325206

US>UK forever and always ;)

Canada beats us both, though.

US>UK forever and always ;)
Aye, they always did say ignorance was bliss, didn't they?

Top 10 is very predictable these days, though, in the Gaf rankings I'm sure Australia would be dead last due to the scary creatures.

I know a lot of people who want to move to Canada actually, Brexit will probably help that along nicely.

entremet

Aye, they always did say ignorance was bliss, didn't they?

Top 10 is very predictable these days, though, in the Gaf rankings I'm sure Australia would be dead last due to the scary creatures.

I know a lot of people who want to move to Canada actually, Brexit will probably help that along nicely.

Who would've thought the land of Vikings would become this lol.

Aku-Audi

This makes sense, the latest season of Paradise Hotel just started on TV3 so we have a lot to celebrate and be happy about.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
How is this possible? They aren't even very religious
Based on their echo chamber and their standard of happiness is different from other countries

This book does a good deal speaking about the subject

9781250081568.jpg

entremet

Schattenjäger;232422499 said:
Based on their echo chamber and their standard of happiness is different from other countries

This book does a good deal speaking about the subject

9781250081568.jpg

Thanks for the rec. Looks interesting.

RalchAC

Nordic countries with 5 out of the 10 top spots.

I mean, it makes sense. It's really sad going to class in April where I live, seeing how the grass is green, the sun is shining in the sky and it's like 25 degrees outside.

But you are stuck in a classroom, looking through the windows at the people that is hanging around and having fun while you are acting as if you listened to that day's lecture.

br3wnor

Rest of the world are you even trying?

To be fair, Norway has a population of 5 million people and nice fat oil reserves that help financially support their very progressive culture (they also are ok with high taxes which definitely helps, that is definitley something more unique to nordic countries). I'm very jealous of how Norwegian people get to live, but also understand it's not necessarily feasible in larger countries.

Rad-

I'm Finnish and I just wonder how the hell did we end up that high in this list. Everyone is miserable here during fall and winter seasons. :p It's funny seeing how so many of my friends change to totally different persons when the spring comes (me included). We also have high suicide numbers etc.

It's the alcohol consumption isn't it? We like to get fucked and party.

Zaru

At this point I'm half convinced that nordics are genetically predisposed to easier happiness because how the fuck else would anyone live that close to the polar circle for that long

EGM1966

Well done my crazy (but happy) Nordic friends. Just back from a few nights out in Copenhagen - terrific fun. Hoping to get back to Norway/Sweden later this year.

I remember the first time I took my (at the time very young) kids to Norway and Finland. I asked them what they thought afterwards and they said "very clean and everything works". What more could you want?

RM8

At this point I'm half convinced that nordics are genetically predisposed to easier happiness because how the fuck else would anyone live that close to the polar circle for that long
Cold weather > hot weather. Sorry, it's true, and I'll use nordic people's eternal happiness as living proof of this.

LJ11

Slightly OT, best weeks/months for a vacation in Norway? Don't want to do Summer, how's the fall/spring?

CoolOff

Slightly OT, best weeks/months for a vacation in Norway? Don't want to do Summer, how's the fall/spring?

Depends on how far north you're going, but late spring should be good. It's always a crapshoot with the weather though, but at least it'll be bright.

i'd say winter > summer > spring > fall but it all depends on where you are going.
Fall is usually plauged by rain so if you plan to go outside you should keep that in mind. I think bergen had 280+ rainy days in 2016 and there are places with more rain than that.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Part of this is culturally subjective, to be fair. You could put the average Briton into the exact same lifestyle and conditions as the average Norwegian and we'd still be sod miserable. It'd be terrible if we didn't have anything to complain about, I don't even know what I'd do with my spare time.

I feel like a survey that looked at separate demographics within countries would be interesting: i.e. where in the world are pensioners happiest? mothers of children under 5? young men? children? the rich? the poor?

entremet

Part of this is culturally subjective, to be fair. You could put the average Briton into the exact same lifestyle and conditions as the average Norwegian and we'd still be sod miserable. It'd be terrible if we didn't have anything to complain about, I don't even know what I'd do with my spare time.

lol.

The cold must have just frozen their faces into a smile.

I feel people overstate how cold it's in Nordics. it's not nearly as cold here as the latitude would indicate (far warmer than in somewhere like Alaska or north Siberia that share the same latitude). Especially in southern Norway, Finland and Sweden. For example this winter there was maybe something like 3 weeks in total that you had enough snow to cross ski here in southern Finland (I love cross country skiing so this winter sucked)

Zaru

Cold weather > hot weather. Sorry, it's true, and I'll use nordic people's eternal happiness as living proof of this.

Mild weather > both though
I live in one of those crazy countries where both body temperature and 10 degrees below the freezing point are regular weather occurences, and the inbetween is what really feels best

Australians are just Brits with significantly more sun exposure

LJ11

Thanks for the replies, guess I'll make Summer an option, could pair it with another beach destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom