• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
GAF, I have a question.

Is the Galaxy Note 8 a good buy? If not, are there any other tablets around $400 or less that come with a stylus?

Reason why I'm looking at the Note 8 is because I really want a tablet where I can jot down notes at work and use it for casual web browsing+media at home. The only thing that's really scaring me right now is the price vs Nexus 7(which also has a higher res screen, but unfortunately no stylus).

Edit: Another question, would the GN 10.1 be a better buy at $100 more?

VPhys

The Note is just a hard sell when you look at the price of the Nexus. Note is also low DPI.

You can jot down notes using the Nexus, using the built in keyboard, swype, or speech to text.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The Note is just a hard sell when you look at the price of the Nexus. Note is also low DPI.

You can jot down notes using the Nexus, using the built in keyboard, swype, or speech to text.

Are there any good Nexus 7 cases that also hold a stylus? Also, how good is a 3rd party stylus + Nexus 7 vs the Note 8? (Stylus is what I really want, keyboard isn't an option for me)

tino

Banned
Are there any good Nexus 7 cases that also hold a stylus? Also, how good is a 3rd party stylus + Nexus 7 vs the Note 8? (Stylus is what I really want, keyboard isn't an option for me)
If you want to draw, there is nothing that can replace the Note. If you don't need to draw, I would pick the iPad Mini (1 or 2) over the N7.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
From a 'big box retailer':

BXrjA0_CIAAXdbE.png:large

:eek:

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It would be megaton on my resale value.

GAF, I have a question.

Is the Galaxy Note 8 a good buy? If not, are there any other tablets around $400 or less that come with a stylus?

Reason why I'm looking at the Note 8 is because I really want a tablet where I can jot down notes at work and use it for casual web browsing+media at home. The only thing that's really scaring me right now is the price vs Nexus 7(which also has a higher res screen, but unfortunately no stylus).

Edit: Another question, would the GN 10.1 be a better buy at $100 more?

the Note series has a Wacom digitizer and Wacom pen. most other Android tablets don't have that so you would be using a much less accurate capacitive pen with other devices.

It would be megaton on my resale value.

should have sold it a few weeks ago like someone else did...

mturco

They could refresh the hardware, get rid of the Glass and make it thinner.

Who knows. There could be a Nexus 4 LTE 16 gig model at $99.00. Which would be megaton if you asked me.

Wait, an LTE Nexus 4 for $100 off contract? No way. Maybe $250 but even that is crazy low.

gutshot

Oh man, if they release a 16GB LTE Nexus 4 for $200 or less? I would have to think long and hard about getting that over a Nexus 5...

tino

Banned
Wait, an LTE Nexus 4 for $100 off contract? No way. Maybe $250 but even that is crazy low.

Google could make a new version of Nexus 4 and sell it for 199, but they would seriously cripple it if they do. I am thinking a 1200 mAh battery. OK maybe 1500.

mturco

Google could make a new version of Nexus 4 and sell it for 199, but they would seriously cripple it if they do. I am thinking a 1200 mAh battery. OK maybe 1500.

Agreed. We're pretty much assuming Google sells Nexus devices at near cost, right? If so, the Nexus 7 (2013) is being sold at $230, so there's no way in hell they could sell an updated Nexus 4 at anything lower than say $250. Phones cost much more than tablets to make anyway.

SimleuqiR

OK. Maybe $99.00 is crazy talk.

But components get cheaper over time, remove the expensive glass back, and Google could be selling the Nexus 4 LTE at under $200.00 easily (without loss).

smaller high res screens cost more
smaller components used in phones cost more
cellular baseband/soc costs more than wifi version
battery costs less (yay!)

also, 720p? the LG G Flex is a mid range device? wat? Galaxy Mega competitor?

mturco

But components get cheaper over time, remove the expensive glass back, and Google could be selling the Nexus 4 LTE at under $200.00 easily (without loss).

I'm not convinced a Nexus 4 without a glass back costs less to make than a Nexus 7 2013, which they sell for $230.

If you want to draw, there is nothing that can replace the Note. If you don't need to draw, I would pick the iPad Mini (1 or 2) over the N7.
Why? My sister has one and I have a hard time using it over the Nexus 7. iOS is just a lot more restrictive when it comes to sharing info (intents, default apps) and comes off as more of a hassle. Multitasking and inter-app integration has a way to go before catching up to Android. The UI is nice though.

tino

Banned
Why? My sister has one and I have a hard time using it over the Nexus 7. iOS is just a lot more restrictive when it comes to sharing info (intents, default apps) and comes off as more of a hassle. Multitasking and inter-app integration has a way to go before catching up to Android. The UI is nice though.

I think the iPad mini weight/size is perfect. I actually can hold it one handed from the back. Screen ratio is also much easier to use than a 16:9 screen.

I don't see much software difference between a 7" Android tablet and a 8" Apple tablet.

thespot84

possibly if you consider only hardware in terms of costs. Distribution, support etc would probably make that difficult.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
save-the-date-kitkat2.jpg

One of our loyal readers has just brought this interesting story to our attention. Apparently LG is one of the companies involved in a press conference taking place in Israel, Tel-Aviv to be exact, on November 5th. And the invitation to said event happens to show a render of a generic-type phone with a KitKat chocolate bar stuffed inside. The inference is clear.

Now, it could just be that the introduction of KitKat and the Google Nexus 5 is taking place at a later date in the region. After all, reliable source evleaks sent out a tweet on Sunday, giving us a November 1st launch date for the next stock Android flavored Nexus and the new Android OS build. Ronlight Digital, the company that distributes LG products in Israel, says that the press conference will have something to do with Android 4.4. Stay tuned!

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Invi...ith-Google-Nexus-5-Android-4.4-launch_id48788

http://www.gadgety.co.il/wp-content/themes/main/thumbs/save-the-date-kitkat2.jpg[/MG]

[url]http://www.phonearena.com/news/Invite-to-November-5th-Tel-Aviv-press-conference-appears-to-deal-with-Google-Nexus-5-Android-4.4-launch_id48788[/url][/QUOTE]

Good for Israel, but that better not be the date for the rest of us.

tino

Banned
possibly if you consider only hardware in terms of costs. Distribution, support etc would probably make that difficult.

To lower the cost to $150, you would need to swap the Snapdragon out and use the cheapest quadcore soc (MTK). See Hongmi's spec for something price around ¥800 RMB ($135).

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Speaking of Kit Kat, I had one for the first time in a while this weekend and it's not even very good. It's like an inferior Coffee Crisp (A Canadian nestle thing)

jokkir

Speaking of Kit Kat, I had one for the first time in a while this weekend and it's not even very good. It's like an inferior Coffee Crisp (A Canadian nestle thing)

Nah, they're both pretty good in their own regard.

Anyway, November 5th for Kitkat? I guess I'll flash a rom today then revert instead of waiting on stock... >__>

nl david

Neo Member
A Dutch store (BelSimpel) had the Nexus 5 for sale temporarily, with wednesday as shipping date. It has been removed, but they said people who ordered it would still get it this Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom