• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

zroid

Banned
TBH it's a win for the Oilers that they got him signed at all (even if it was the max $15M). He could have dragged this out and put them in a fucking tight spot cap-wise next summer without knowing in advance exactly how much they'd need. Now they have time to figure it out.

lol at the Lucic contract tho

Solo

How does the incoming lockout (like clockwork every 8 years, ugh, why can't the NHLPA and the NHL EVER sort this shit out and, you know, prevent a lockout?) in 3 years effect contracts anyway?

Solo

He'll be making 60% more than Crosby

I mean, Crosby has 3 Cups now because he took one for the team with respect to his contract, but damn, that's brutal.

Although I always wonder in pro sports what kind of shit goes on that we don't know about. Like, Crosby is officially making $8.7M per, but like it wouldn't surprise me if there's off the books bonuses and shit. These owners have insanely deep pockets.

JeffG

How does the incoming lockout (like clockwork every 8 years, ugh, why can't the NHLPA and the NHL EVER sort this shit out and, you know, prevent a lockout?) in 3 years effect contracts anyway?

In the case of a lockout, the contracts are not paid out. Which is why a lot of the contracts made that cross the end of collective bargaining agreement are mostly signing bonuses for that yr. (ie they get the signing bonus but not the contact money)

But a lockout is not guaranteed. It seems to be working for both sides.

mcdavidcontract.png

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I mean, Crosby has 3 Cups now because he took one for the team with respect to his contract, but damn, that's brutal.

Although I always wonder in pro sports what kind of shit goes on that we don't know about. Like, Crosby is officially making $8.7M per, but like it wouldn't surprise me if there's off the books bonuses and shit. These owners have insanely deep pockets.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if there are.

Solo

Someone needs to offer sheet Draisatl to 12M now.

If BargainBin had half a brain and some guts he'd have done it already. But nope, this is the kumbaya, let's all be friends and play it safe, no fun allowed league.

Draisatl-AGally-Danualt-Pleks? Now there's a centre lineup I could fuck with.

calder

You have to be careful to not get caught doing shit like that so I would doubt they would be so overt as to be actively paying him under the table or anything like that.

What they do is have a handshake agreement that, once the player retires, they sign him to a cushy 'personal services' contract so he can make a few mill a year playing golf with the owner basically forever. ;) Requires a bit of trust from the player but if you're Crosby level you know the team will basically do whatever to keep you in the fold and happy.

Socreges

Banned
Crosby's also getting that cap hit while he's 37. Generous salary structure

Also $12m for Draisatl. Could the Habs then afford Price's re-up and afford to bring in other good players?

Cake Boss

Banned
@TSNRyanRishaug

Predatory offer sheet at 9.8 million forces Oilers to pay 23 million for 2 players, or lose Draisaitl.

hmmmmmmmmm.

Maybe Penis Oreo is dumping Methot and Phagoof for that Drai offer sheet.

Realistically he was probably just been told to cut payroll by Melnyk because of the shitty attendance issues.

Razorskin

----- ------
For the first time in ages, the Detroit Red Wings missed the playoffs. To some, the sliver lining was that this might send a message to management to truly commit to a rebuild.

Perhaps GM Ken Holland & Co. aren’t quite ready for that.

Look, one or even a couple of potential free agent signings won’t disqualify the Red Wings from going younger. Still, the rumored defensemen they’re targeting aren’t exactly spring chickens.

Three names floating out there are Trevor Daley, Dan Girardi, and Ron Hainsey.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/06/27/rebuild-on-hold-red-wings-reportedly-eye-girardi-hainsey-daley/

The retirement home is back in business!

PillarEN

It really doesn't matter who they sign. Crap or greatness. The team is heading for a non playoff year. Everybody is a trade chip except for the bad contracts and the few players like Z and Nielsson who are meant to be mainstays. So I really don't care what happens in terms of free agent signings as long as they aren't Abdelkader type deals .

Edit: yes I hope Mantha and Larkin become the players we hope they can be. That would be nice. But more than anything this year is about solving our goaltending situation. A good chunk of money will be freed up finally.

Avs should just embrace that they're going to struggle, go with a young lineup and cut away the fat.

Landeskog-MacKinnon-___
Rantanen-Duchene-Jost
Andrighetto-Soderberg-Nieto

Zadorov-Johnson
Barrie-Bigras
Barberio-Weircoich
Butcher
A man can dream

Varlamov

Get rid of Comeau, Mitchell, and fill in with FA signings.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Top Bottom