• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

My love/hate relationship with her is complicated man.

How long'd you have to search up those FGC threads to find that tho

just google searched "fuck that tall chick onemic" and it came up lmao

Use the dpad

I am.

Switch back to stick ;)

I'm too far gone at this point! I tried stick again and I my execution was already weird in terms of timing.
This is what I usually do...
  1. Nail the combo in Training Mode.
  2. Nail the combo in Vs. CPU.
  3. Nail the combo in a Casual Match.
In terms of actually nailing the combo, I just break down the combo into chunks so I can focus on the problematic links.

I've tended to really hit the suite of combos I do hit. I just need to play more Vs. CPU matches maybe.

Skilletor

Whenever I have problems with something, I break it in pieces, then I practice it on both sides, old school, however many times in a row to make me feel comfortable, and if I drop it, start from zero.

Whenever I have problems with something, I break it in pieces, then I practice it on both sides, old school, however many times in a row to make me feel comfortable, and if I drop it, start from zero.

Whats the count you work up to? And honestly, I am just having a lot of problem in my neutral game with Urien right now. I dunno, its just one of those days where nothing i'm doing works.

Bob White

Random but...how in the world is Injustice popular? Playing now for shits and giggles on pc and, it's terrible. The way characters to need to pick up momentum to get up to their normal walk speed is horrid. And the recovery to all the moves. How do people play this. It feels like a 3 bar SF4 match.

FACE

Banned
Whats the count you work up to? And honestly, I am just having a lot of problem in my neutral game with Urien right now. I dunno, its just one of those days where nothing i'm doing works.

I'm not skilletor but usually when I'm practicing a combo I aim for 5 successful attempts in a row each side, unless it's something really difficult then I'm ok with hitting it ~70% of the time in training mode

I'm not gonna lie. I kind of wanted USF4 at evo last year just to see an all Elena top 4.

Would be a billion times more interesting than watching any SF5 top 8.

I'm not skilletor but usually when I'm practicing a combo I aim for 5 successful attempts in a row each side, unless it's something really difficult then I'm ok with hitting it ~70% of the time in training mode

Yeah nah. The Top 8 at Texas was way more entertaining than HEALING HEALING HEALING.

MechaX

After playing this game for the past week exclusively on off days, before I go to work, and when I get off work, I just... I am just at a blank on how to actually play this one.

If there is a rhythm in this game's neutral and approach in the meta, I am not really comprehending it all that well. Most of my matches so far are complete bops or fighting folks who I am not convinced know that there is a block button with little in-between. The stubby normals are driving me insane (hell, had an opponent Vega where I swear he whiffed close range with that claw somehow).

I try Ryu because 99% of the time instinctively walk back because I always want my opponent to come to me, but way too many characters have ways to blow up the fireball game. I try Cammy, but my confirms are not on K-Brad level and I get blown up for missed or block spiral arrows. Beyond that, I just don't really like this cast all that much from an aesthetic and gamestyle perspective (well, Juri will always be bae from aesthetics, but holy fuck what was Combofiend even thinking in comparison to her SF4 self).

I keep playing it, so something is drawing me in. But it feels like I am putting in so much effort not so much to learn how to play, but to find the fun in the game.

Mizerman

Disagree.

Devid905

So, I uninstalled the first beta on Steam last month. But when I tried to download the new 2nd beta, I only got 110 MB file downloaded. Is this right?

Edit: A tweet from SF says that the preload will start tomorrow at 3 PM Pacific. I get it now.

MCD250

Man, it's the night of the laggy ass Kens who do YOLO HK tatsus out here.

I legit just had one do wakeup super, then taunt me only to get killed about 6 seconds later. I don't get some folks.

After playing this game for the past week exclusively on off days, before I go to work, and when I get off work, I just... I am just at a blank on how to actually play this one.

If there is a rhythm in this game's neutral and approach in the meta, I am not really comprehending it all that well. Most of my matches so far are complete bops or fighting folks who I am not convinced know that there is a block button with little in-between. The stubby normals are driving me insane (hell, had an opponent Vega where I swear he whiffed close range with that claw somehow).

I try Ryu because 99% of the time instinctively walk back because I always want my opponent to come to me, but way too many characters have ways to blow up the fireball game. I try Cammy, but my confirms are not on K-Brad level and I get blown up for missed or block spiral arrows. Beyond that, I just don't really like this cast all that much from an aesthetic and gamestyle perspective (well, Juri will always be bae from aesthetics, but holy fuck what was Combofiend even thinking in comparison to her SF4 self).

I keep playing it, so something is drawing me in. But it feels like I am putting in so much effort not so much to learn how to play, but to find the fun in the game.

What's your movement like? Do you know the range of your normals? If you are getting bopped in the neutral, it's time to get a better sense of your spacing and where you are at, let them whiff, and go in for the kill. You don't have to be right up in their ass, and you can judge the distance and not back off too much. It just takes time to get down. It's something I'm really bad at but a lot better than what I was before.

Also, you might want to look up general character matchups to see what you should do. I don't think Vega has a good AA. or at least one that's great like Rogs (I honestly don't remember), so you can jump in and go crazy town on them.

Ahh, there's a link explaining all this and it's kinda old but still relevant. I'll see if I can find it. It's been helping me a ton.

Skilletor

Depends what it is, but yeah, usually 5-10 times on each side.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I mean, she was dumb as hell for sure, but she wasnt even the best character in the game. It's not like 3S chun where that scenario is actually believable.

It's ok. Enough time has passed since USF4 to let go of all grievances and let the healing begin.

MCD250

Man, originally I didn't like Cammy's premium costume all that much but that icy white color they put out for it in the last patch is A1. I have set as my main right now and she looks minty fresh all the time.

MechaX

What's your movement like? Do you know the range of your normals? If you are getting bopped in the neutral, it's time to get a better sense of your spacing and where you are at, let them whiff, and go in for the kill. You don't have to be right up in their ass, and you can judge the distance and not back off too much. It just takes time to get down. It's something I'm really bad at but a lot better than what I was before.

Also, you might want to look up general character matchups to see what you should do. I don't think Vega has a good AA. or at least one that's great like Rogs (I honestly don't remember), so you can jump in and go crazy town on them.

Ahh, there's a link explaining all this and it's kinda old but still relevant. I'll see if I can find it. It's been helping me a ton.

My movement varies from game to game, but for the most part I find myself being super defensive. I at times do decently with medium pokes, but a lot of times I get too overzelous and end up getting into shimmy setups.

I'm calling it for the day because I have been at this for 3 and a half hours and I feel even more mentally exhausted than when I got off work. I mostly have been reading up on the Gief's Gym guide on Reddit.

MCD250

My movement varies from game to game, but for the most part I find myself being super defensive. I at times do decently with medium pokes, but a lot of times I get too overzelous and end up getting into shimmy setups.

I'm calling it for the day because I have been at this for 3 and a half hours and I feel even more mentally exhausted than when I got off work. I mostly have been reading up on the Gief's Gym guide on Reddit.
For playing defensive and walking backwards, Guile's your boy. Almost everyone else in this game has to RTSD.

Onemic

SFV is a game meant for offensive nuts for the most part. So if you're a defensive player it'll take a while to get used to.

Wanna play a few games? Im generally pretty defensive as well.

Yeah you basically need to be rushing people down, or at least having the mindset of advancement. If you find yourself overextending, make a note of it on a piece of paper, and figure out why each time. Little by little you'll start filling up those gaps in your playstyle.

And if you want, post your matches here. I'm sure people would love to help out.

But above all, take a breather. It's journey. Don't rush, and just have fun. When you feel yourself stressing, just walk away from the game. SFV is fucking stressful to play, so you gotta find the fun in every match or you'll go insane.

Kashiwaba

Someone told me the piece of advise in this thread when i was struggling with SFV around this time last year "respect your opponent turn" forgot who said it to me, but i can tell once i started doing this and stopped mashing buttons on wake up i improved a lot.

MechaX

Thanks for the advice folks.

I think I just went a little tilt after today's session and needed a break. Onemic, I'll definitely be down for some rounds tomorrow evening if I get off early enough, or definitely in the weekend.

I've never been to big on charge characters, but yeah, every time I fight a Guile I'm thinking "... yeah, that's something I need. I feel like I play better at range or when I can slow/control things at my pace." I feel like the charge motions are a little bit strict in this one for some reason, but that's something I need to just lab out since so many other characters have some charge motions.

I just hope to God they introduce a ranged character this Season.

MCD250

I've never been to big on charge characters, but yeah, every time I fight a Guile I'm thinking "... yeah, that's something I need. I feel like I play better at range or when I can slow/control things at my pace." I feel like the charge motions are a little bit strict in this one for some reason, but that's something I need to just lab out since so many other characters have some charge motions.
You can get the charge really quick in this game, but the window to get the charge move out is actually the smallest it's been in any SF game, I think. So yeah, the timing is super strict. That said, it's thankfully getting patched in the next month or so in order to make it a little more forgiving.

robot

Assuming Ed will only be available through the beta and not for season pass holders in the full game?

Have previous betas had offline VS mode?

Holy Shit I can't breath

I didn't knew this was actually him fighting my shitty Bison

In what world does "not doing anything" mean you shouldn't get hit?

"OMG I WASN"T DOING ANYTHING AND I GOT COMBOED!!??" Exactly. You weren't doing anything, so you got comboed. Makes perfect sense to me.

Also on another note, Zombe you're my boy and I know I'm not the best player in the world, but you're right, that Bison was ass lol.

Conceptually I really love Kolin and think she's really fun to play. In practice, I just go on an infinite losing streak with her and can't deal with her slow movement, weird buttons, slow attacks, difficulty getting in, and it always feels like way too much work to finish off a round. Then I go back to Karin and have such an easier time just giving everyone the Ojou-sama toe.

But man when you get a couple counter reads in a row it's so satisfying and makes it all worth it.

Conceptually I really love Kolin and think she's really fun to play. In practice, I just go on an infinite losing streak with her and can't deal with her slow movement, weird buttons, slow attacks, difficulty getting in, and it always feels like way too much work to finish off a round. Then I go back to Karin and have such an easier time just giving everyone the Ojou-sama toe.

But man when you get a couple counter reads in a row it's so satisfying and makes it all worth it.

Yeah I gave her a shot in training for a couple of days with intentions of seeing where we could take our relationship and ultimately found myself losing her number.

mbpm1

Even as a kolin player I often think that I would be better off playing Karin, so no surprise there. I stick with her bc not everyone and their mom uses her like Karin though.

Also her AAs are better and using v-skill to anti-air half-screen jumps is always fun

remz

Holy Shit I can't breath

I didn't knew this was actually him fighting my shitty Bison

>DSP jumps upward into your jumping kick
"WELP I COULDN'T BLOCK????"
>DSP's CR HK gets punished
"I BLAWCKED IT DIDN"T WORK"

no shit dawg...

i still can't believe he got top 4 at evo or w/e with his shitty attitude

----

re: Kolin- I actually love her and think she's my strongest character? I was playing Juri before Kolin though so maybe that's just the feeling of moving from rock bottom to slightly above bottom.

Top Bottom