• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but isn't that pretty much coke-bottle styling?

The Corvette's more subtle, but it does it too.
Tjqq2.jpg

My understanding of coke-bottle styling is the use of exaggerated wheel arches. On the viper it looks as if the whole car were pinched in the middle. The corvette does it a bit as well but it's only really noticeable in profile while still maintaining a high-rear low-front slope.

I think it's going to become more of a thing as pedestrian and crash safety standards push the bumpers of cars ever upward. If the designers try to maintain a low, sleek beltline the bumpers are going to creep up above it.

Are you going to try to tell me that the kilowatt-hour is a unit that makes sense? Hey! Let's take joules, divide them by a unit of time, then multiply them by a different unit of time.

Nah the kilowatt-hour is a weird unit too but it's not really a metric unit--it's just a measurement tool used by power companies. I've always wondered why they use it because it's never made sense.

But just imagine kW-h with the english system, it'd be something like BTu-T-s/1000lb-hour or something retarded.

Piggus

My understanding of coke-bottle styling is the use of exaggerated wheel arches. On the viper it looks as if the whole car were pinched in the middle. The corvette does it a bit as well but it's only really noticeable in profile while still maintaining a high-rear low-front slope.

I think it's going to become more of a thing as pedestrian and crash safety standards push the bumpers of cars ever upward. If the designers try to maintain a low, sleek beltline the bumpers are going to creep up above it.

That's how the original Viper is though. It's one of the things that makes the car pretty unique from a styling perspective. When I was pretty young I used to love drawing the Viper from memory. I had those curves down to a science.

Thats a good reason to stay with scion then. Anyways if I get a BRZ of FR-S i would be swapping in sparcos or brides almost immediately and that's really the biggest thing the BRZ has over the FR-S is the seats.

you'd be spending more $ to swap in Brides/Sparcos + mounting brackets in an FR-S over just getting a BRZ. If i remember it's a $1,300 price difference. Plus you get HID's and Nav in the BRZ, although Nav's tend to be outdated by arrival, etc...

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I have a neighbor who has a 1st gen Subaru Impreza Coupe.

Whatwhat.

It's green, but whatever. I'm gonna' ask her if she wants to sell it since she never uses it. Then I'm going to repaint the entire thing or vinyl it anyway. Hopefully the rest of the guys at the shop agree to buying it and turning it into a shop project car. That would be totally bad ass.

Whatwhat.

It's green, but whatever. I'm gonna' ask her if she wants to sell it since she never uses it. Then I'm going to repaint the entire thing or vinyl it anyway. Hopefully the rest of the guys at the shop agree to buying it and turning it into a shop project car. That would be totally bad ass.

Fucking do it!!!!!!!!! Or we can't be friends anymore. EVER.

FStop7

Banned
Ignoring the blanket statements of "OMG early 2000's VW's are all junk!" I will say that as a VW fan, I wouldn't be comfortable buying a 2003 Jetta. Certain models had bad years and 2003 wasn't a really good one for the Jetta.

I had a 2003 and it was terribad. It turned me off on the brand for 9 years, I only just now started looking at VW/Audi again.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I know this thread is more performance oriented but I'm super excited as me and the gf are buying her a 2005 Toyota Echo 2 door hatchback. Yeah it's an econobox but is it ever fun to drive. Such a fun little go kart.

I know, I know. Cool blog post bro.

N-Bomb

I know this thread is more performance oriented but I'm super excited as me and the gf are buying her a 2005 Toyota Echo 2 door hatchback. Yeah it's an econobox but is it ever fun to drive. Such a fun little go kart.

I know, I know. Cool blog post bro.

Put the engine from a GSX-R1000 in it. Trust me!

J-Rzez

Whatwhat.

I was looking into this too. I wanted to get into the local Rally events, but I couldn't bare to beat down my Evo that I pampered until now. Sure, I took it off in dirt before, but never actually rally-crossed with jumps and such (real jumps that is).

Then again, if my current ventures work out properly, maybe I will do a full conversion on my Evo.

I was looking into this too. I wanted to get into the local Rally events, but I couldn't bare to beat down my Evo that I pampered until now. Sure, I took it off in dirt before, but never actually rally-crossed with jumps and such (real jumps that is).

Then again, if my current ventures work out properly, maybe I will do a full conversion on my Evo.

Subaru's AWD system would probably be better for rally. locked 50/50

Thats a good reason to stay with scion then. Anyways if I get a BRZ of FR-S i would be swapping in sparcos or brides almost immediately and that's really the biggest thing the BRZ has over the FR-S is the seats.

I spent an hour with my uncle at Scion yesterday. He said he has a connection to a Subaru dealer, but the allocation is so low for the BRZ, that the chances were slim. He did say that the BRZ will show up at the dealerships before the end of this month. Looks like they are indeed getting them first.

I was also told that the FR-S is shipping soon, if it already hasn't. They were looking up shipment numbers and colors but it was taking for ever, so I left after a lengthy conversation with everyone.

He said he would keep his ears open. I would prefer the BRZ, but I don't think I have much of a choice.

daaamn dat mazda

I have an importer lined up, the manger is a chill guy, he'll help me out with a parts supplier.
But expensive shipping and long waits would suck. Man.. I don't know what to do now, I'll wait and see. I did want 4 doors but it isn't necessary. The gt-r is very attractive, but I expect the insurance to go up my ass. Any idea how much it would be for a 93-94?

I haven't gone back a few pages since I'm at work, but where are you located?

I've been looking into importing a S15 Silvia (Legal in Canada in the next 2 years or so) and insurance is a tricky subject depending on which province you live in (if that's Canada).

ouchx100

Subaru's AWD system would probably be better for rally. locked 50/50

The last rallyx I was at every awd car was a subaru. Except for one evo. But really driver matters most than who's awd system you got. Lots of people rally cheap with budget fwd car or even rentals.

Did they say why it wouldn't meet safety standards by chance?

Here's a pic from the show:
IMG_20120407_140846.jpg

I'm really happy that Chevy has found a front end/grille design and shape that can define their car styles for years and years to come. It feels like so many companies flail around trying different looks and never getting anything that really works (Lexus, Toyota, Acura, Honda, etc.) so their design team should be really proud.

And, the Viper:
IMG_20120407_172439.jpg
needed less curves and more defining lines. on the doors and going towards the back in particular.

N-Bomb

Looks like my swap may run near $15k. Gotta see if we can get that number down.

Was at the shop today talking with the guys though, really gave me some confidence that they'd do a top notch job.

Awaiting a quote by friday or next week!

Anyone in cali know where I can find a subaru impreza wrx sti gc8 gauge cluster w/ DCCD display? D;

N-Bomb

My Evo is 50/50. :)

I may be confused here. Depending on the diff, the STi is either 35/65 or 41/59 (IIRC).

Dunno about the EVO, but I've heard it's anywhere from 100/0 to 50/50.

I guess if you lock the diff you can keep 50/50? But I'd rather that fancy electronic diff did the work for me!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
fyi BP101 was perma'd in that pc vs console thread on gaming side

rip

Dude went HAM against some of the people in some random PC threads. I thought I got passionate about cars? Shiieeet...

Hahaha. Oh, well. God speed, sir.

Was at the shop today talking with the guys though, really gave me some confidence that they'd do a top notch job.

Anyone in cali know where I can find a subaru impreza wrx sti gc8 gauge cluster w/ DCCD display? D;
thats a decent price depending on what they are putting in it, half of that is going to be parts if your going with an EJ257 out of a 04+ STi, I cant wait to do the swap myself, after paying to have the harness merged its easy to do the swap otherwise, and even easier when you swap in the dash and dash harness from the other car

I may be confused here. Depending on the diff, the STi is either 35/65 or 41/59 (IIRC).

Dunno about the EVO, but I've heard it's anywhere from 100/0 to 50/50.

I guess if you lock the diff you can keep 50/50? But I'd rather that fancy electronic diff did the work for me!
Subarus system, unless you have a DCCD is all 50/50, Evos run an interesting system of toggling between the drivers side front/passenger rear and the passenger front/drivers rear wheels, so technically its 50/50.

but Manual subarus are a locked constant 50/50 in most cases.

Halvie

Banned

What are you swapping in again? I was quoted $24k for the 2.5t rs swap w/ awd trans. $15k sounds like a lot considering how new / rare the 2.5t is.

Whatwhat.

Is it a 2.5RS or an L?

My Evo is 50/50. :)

I prefer there handling of the Evo vs Sti any day.

Viperbah

Well guys, I sold my Z06 and purchased an 08 viper, I was torn between the viper and waiting for the new GT500 but the right viper came along and I jumped on it.

Planning on doing full exhaust and maybe a tune for now. Viper tax is even more ridiculous than corvette tax.

J-Rzez

I prefer there handling of the Evo vs Sti any day.

Absolutely. Mitsu tunes their suspension/chassis to be more "enthusiast" liking. They don't really push, and are more oversteer/neutral biased. Subies tend to push/understeer out of the box a lot more.

My Evo is a NA (US) Evo 8, so it doesn't have the ACD, just set to 50/50. It's the last "pure" driving car, well, most mechanical at least. I know the Evo X out of the box will out-handle mine, despite it feeling bigger and more numb steering wise though.

Zyzyxxz

Well guys, I sold my Z06 and purchased an 08 viper, I was torn between the viper and waiting for the new GT500 but the right viper came along and I jumped on it.

Planning on doing full exhaust and maybe a tune for now. Viper tax is even more ridiculous than corvette tax.

Wait did you have a C5 or C6 Z06?

N-Bomb

thats a decent price depending on what they are putting in it, half of that is going to be parts if your going with an EJ257 out of a 04+ STi, I cant wait to do the swap myself, after paying to have the harness merged its easy to do the swap otherwise, and even easier when you swap in the dash and dash harness from the other car

What are you swapping in again? I was quoted $24k for the 2.5t rs swap w/ awd trans. $15k sounds like a lot considering how new / rare the 2.5t is.

I'm getting my 2.2L and auto trans dumped for a JDM EJ207 (getting quoted for a V7 and a V8, but I see a V7 Spec-C for sale that I might ask the shop about - don't want the twin-scroll), 6-spd w/ DCCD, and other STi parts.

Haven't decided about the wheels though... dunno if I want the brembos and 5x114 hubs, or go with the WRX 4pot/2pot brakes and 5x100 hubs (more wheel choice).

I'm most disappointed that they can't wire in cruise. :(

Absolutely. Mitsu tunes their suspension/chassis to be more "enthusiast" liking. They don't really push, and are more oversteer/neutral biased. Subies tend to push/understeer out of the box a lot more.

My Evo is a NA (US) Evo 8, so it doesn't have the ACD, just set to 50/50. It's the last "pure" driving car, well, most mechanical at least. I know the Evo X out of the box will out-handle mine, despite it feeling bigger and more numb steering wise though.

I think one of the differences is that the Impreza has always been a bit front-heavy due to the engine's design/placement, so from the factory, turn-in has generally been a bit weak, among other things. Easy to correct somewhat, but I can't argue what you say. I've always liked Scooby's styling better, myself. :)

J-Rzez

I think one of the differences is that the Impreza has always been a bit front-heavy due to the engine's design/placement, so from the factory, turn-in has generally been a bit weak, among other things. Easy to correct somewhat, but I can't argue what you say. I've always liked Scooby's styling better, myself. :)

I always liked the styling of Scoobs equal to the Evos. Ugly, but in an awesome way. Yes, the engine placement due to the other parts that come with AWD has been an issue, but my friend corrected his problems via sway bars and camber adjustment alone, so it's not that big of an issue. To me at least.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I am absolutely done with Honda and buying vehicles in general. I have a 2004 Civic and it will be my last.

The car only has 80,000KM on the body and engine and so far this:

Rear shocks need replacing
All bushings need replacing
Brutal steering wheel vibration at 100km/h
Constant squeeks in the interior
Pulls to the right all the time

I've had it serviced religiously. Alignments after winter and before. Both sets of wheels balanced. Yearly suspension checks. There is never an issue according to the dealership yet constant bullshit ride quality.

Fuck!!!!

With the latest vibration issue I figured my summer rims/tires need to be balanced so I put on my winters until my summers can be balanced with a Hunter Road Force machine. So I get the winters on and onto the highway. 95% less steering wheel vibration but when I brake there is a kind of thud, thud, thud noise that didn't occur with the summers. I checked the tie rods (in/out), CV joints, ball joints, control arms and though the rear bushings are about 50% dead the front ones seem like they're in decent shape. Very little play in the front wheels when the car is raised and zero play in the rear.

Edit- now there's 2 to 3 clicks when coming to a complete stop with the winters even though it didn't click with the unbalanced summers.

Fuck!

I don't drive the car hard as it is a Civic after all and bought the car when it had 25,000km from an old woman. Once I hit 77,000km it's been a nightmare. Fuck this shit I'm leasing from now on. I'm going to drive this piece of shit into the ground.

Halvie

Banned
I'm getting my 2.2L and auto trans dumped for a JDM EJ207 (getting quoted for a V7 and a V8, but I see a V7 Spec-C for sale that I might ask the shop about - don't want the twin-scroll), 6-spd w/ DCCD, and other STi parts.

Haven't decided about the wheels though... dunno if I want the brembos and 5x114 hubs, or go with the WRX 4pot/2pot brakes and 5x100 hubs (more wheel choice).

I'm most disappointed that they can't wire in cruise. :(

Should be awesome++ Bit jealous that it seems like you have some capable shops around you. Haven't really come across any that do any sort of swaps I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom