• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

do australian house price articles often come up on OT? people on the thread make reference to it but i don't pay much attention, how do people generally lean on GAF?

There's been a few recently. A lot of Americans run in and talk about how bad the housing market is for them.

Then you watch US real estate shows and people are getting mansions for like 200k.

I mean, I just picked a random city - Hartford, Connecticut. Did a quick job search - 85 hits for a Network Security Engineer which is pretty good (seems about similar to Melbourne).

I could get myself a mansion for $495000 USD: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/140-Elizabeth-St-Hartford-CT-06105/58141443_zpid/

If bootstrap culture can be described as the assumption that poor people just need to do xyz like I did, then yes. Read the Whirlpool forums and you'll run into it plenty.
You lazy millennials. It's so easy to buy a house, even I did it!

(With nearly 6 figures given to me but that's beside the point gdtjbcsfh)

Bishop89

So is there a reason why John Wick 2 at chaddy Hoyts is only showing LUX sessions for Thursday - Monday 😵

Limited sessions too..

Man, carnivores need to harden up. Having a tantrum over food that doesn't suit your tastes is pathetic.
To be fair, Bunnings' sausage in bread is a bit of an institution. If people are really looking forward to something and turn up expecting it, they're going to be disappointed if they don't get it.

quabba

Vegan sausages served at a Bunnings sizzle. Nah, I'll leave those alone thanks. It might be time to start discussions on vegans getting their own food item names instead of hijacking meat based product names.
I'm so not starting that discussion.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fo...s/news-story/c48897ab5a36cb7edeaddd1fc257fa93

While I like them serving vegan sausages (I'd like that option), what does rescuing cats have to do with eating meat. What do they feed the cats they rescue? They aren't rescuing cattle...

To be fair, Bunnings' sausage in bread is a bit of an institution. If people are really looking forward to something and turn up expecting it, they're going to be disappointed if they don't get it.

Someone running a charity sausage sizzle doesn't need to be scolded for not having the food someone likes. Especially when the charity is just trying to do a good thing.

I don't think vegan food needs to be as offensive as it is for so many people. There's this dumb macho meat eating, us vs. them culture among some people which sucks.

While I like them serving vegan sausages (I'd like that option), what does rescuing cats have to do with eating meat. What do they feed the cats they rescue? They aren't rescuing cattle...

I'm certain you'll find that animal welfare charities have high levels of vegan/vegetarian employees/volunteers.

jambo

We're currently using a 65" 1080P TV and I don't know if I want to go smaller, but the price difference between some 65" and 55" 4K sets is substantial.

Jintor

Anyone got an Android calender syncing solution? Google calendar is probably easiest but I'm wondering if there's something cool

Quasar

Anyone got an Android calender syncing solution? Google calendar is probably easiest but I'm wondering if there's something cool

Google Calendar is cool :)

I did used to use Sunrise for my front end, but that got retired so I went back to Google Calendar.

Quasar

Now a few weeks into being adopted by a new kitty, a little ragdoll named Orion.

Has settled in well. Much more of a lap cat than my last. Really is teething though, loves to chew things. Also likes to chase the mouse pointer when I compute.

Now a few weeks into being adopted by a new kitty, a little ragdoll named Orion.

Has settled in well. Much more of a lap cat than my last. Really is teething though, loves to chew things. Also likes to chase the mouse pointer when I compute.

Awwwwwwww. You heartless monster! Pics, dammit!

Google Calendar is cool :)

I did used to use Sunrise for my front end, but that got retired so I went back to Google Calendar.

XChNL5bl.jpg

you used this Pair as your frontend ?

i didn't like any of the calnder apps considering they dont regnise AU based holidays

chose this one
happy with it So far

My mind tells me "wait for 2018 OLEDs with HDMI 2.1 support".

But my body, my body's tellin me get something big and 4k hdr soon

the sony screen thats currently on sale is the Sony screen that ended up revewing relly well right ?

for me its ether get one of the past high end oleds on clearance, or wait till 2019 to get the 2018 oleds on clearance

or take up the recent deals on Led screens ether VA or IPs :)

theres just no competing with Post brexit prices is there ?

the sony screen thats currently on sale is the Sony screen that ended up revewing relly well right ?

for me its ether get one of the past high end oleds on clearance, or wait till 2019 to get the 2018 oleds on clearance

or take up the recent deals on Led screens ether VA or IPs :)

It is well suited for gaming and is in an affordable price range. Not the best HDR out there or best overall picture quality, but if you're on a budget it looks like a solid bet. I'm kind of hoping for one of the newer Sony range if I go with a non-OLED, but they're not out here yet. I assume the clearance sales are to make room for them.

Quasar

Of course it's named after the Japanese beer. I mean, what else could it possibly be?

:)

Didn't know that. Makes me happy though.

My last one was Loki, so I went for another mythological name, and one short enough that it would not trip family members up.

I did consider a Japanese name, given I'd fallen down a Japanese media hole. But trying to get family members to be willing to call out oh I don't know, Nyanko-sensei, was not happening.

Fredescu

What's a good savings account for a long term deposit?

I'm with CBA and they have nothing over 2%

Friend has 150k in RAMS and gets around 4%

How is your friend getting 4%? I assume it's a managed fund or something? They're not offering that for savings accounts.

If you're young, I don't think a savings account or term deposit is a good idea at the moment. You barely beat inflation. You can afford to take more risks if retirement isn't just around the corner. Look into ETFs or low fee managed funds. Or shares directly if you want to put some time in. Have a read: https://www.vanguardinvestments.com.au/retail/au/jsp/investor-resources/education/intro-to-etf.jsp

Ignignort

What's a good savings account for a long term deposit?

I'm with CBA and they have nothing over 2%

Friend has 150k in RAMS and gets around 4%

It's not for everyone but my Acorns account has returned 5.53% since August last year with a decent amount in it, I just leave it there and check in every so often. Might withdraw it one day to manage myself but it's worked out fine for not doing anything

Stackboy

Injustice 2 is a great fighting game. Played through the story mode yesterday, keen to sink my teeth into the multiverse stuff too.

Anyone using Optus cable? The place I moved into has the option to get Optus cable (Telstra not available). Getting unlimited 30mbps down 2mbps up for $80/month off contract. Beats the $70/month for unlimited adsl2+.

Question is, how is Optus cable? I've heard mixed things on forums. Does 30mbps via cable outperform adsl2 speeds of 24mbps by a big margin? They also have the option to upgrade to 100mbps down for additional $20/month.

How is your friend getting 4%? I assume it's a managed fund or something? They're not offering that for savings accounts.

If you're young, I don't think a savings account or term deposit is a good idea at the moment. You barely beat inflation. You can afford to take more risks if retirement isn't just around the corner. Look into ETFs or low fee managed funds. Or shares directly if you want to put some time in. Have a read: https://www.vanguardinvestments.com.au/retail/au/jsp/investor-resources/education/intro-to-etf.jsp

It's in a fixed deposit of 12 months I believe.

I'm only considering some options atm cause I'm not certain of my future. Having sold off my house, I'm contemplating a move to Canada. Going there for 2 months to figure out what I want to do next.

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look..

It's not for everyone but my Acorns account has returned 5.53% since August last year with a decent amount in it, I just leave it there and check in every so often. Might withdraw it one day to manage myself but it's worked out fine for not doing anything

Acorns? Never heard of it. Will have to check it out, thanks.

Anyone using Optus cable? The place I moved into has the option to get Optus cable (Telstra not available). Getting unlimited 30mbps down 2mbps up for $80/month off contract. Beats the $70/month for unlimited adsl2+.

Question is, how is Optus cable? I've heard mixed things on forums. Does 30mbps via cable outperform adsl2 speeds of 24mbps by a big margin? They also have the option to upgrade to 100mbps down for additional $20/month.

It's in a fixed deposit of 12 months I believe.

I'm only considering some options atm cause I'm not certain of my future. Having sold off my house, I'm contemplating a move to Canada. Going there for 2 months to figure out what I want to do next.

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look..

Acorns? Never heard of it. Will have to check it out, thanks.

with regards to optus cable See if somone else will contract you on to said cable ? the state of optus cable is a sight for sore eyes compared to telstras HFC with that said you almost never get 24mbps on ADSL2 so if the cable performs up to Spec then i would say Yes yes it will and go for it , i would argue for them to include 100mbps for free other wise just pay the $20 extra :) hopfully it will be of use if its not demand a Refund

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom