• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: PS4 Used Game DRM (EDIT: but now apparently on hold)

Spinluck

Yeah thank god the ipad will allow me to pick up a physical copy of a game in store and trade-in and old game if I get bored of it.

Apple's "ecosystem" is more draconian than anything that Sony or MS has cooked up yet. At least the console game market will allow some form of competition for sales, even if it is no more than Steam currently does.

Yea. I'm done gaming once every thing goes "all iPad". Seeeeeeeeee ya!

kitch9

Banned
Trying to eventually become like Steam (or something like it) but without pissing off Gamestop before then.

They just need to get a cut of Gamestop used sales, that's the easiest solution.

They can have all the DRM they like if they will charge Steam like prices, but they won't.

Gorki247

My thought for how ms gets around daily activation is having live create multi day tickets when you want to go offline for a while. After that point, live will not authenticate the sale of your cdkey with that game until the expiration of that ticket. Expiration is known at the live DB, users get to stay offline, live is assured that the game cannot be sold. Physical cd is worthless--only a download vector.

There's actually a much simpler solution and in a way they are already using it on the 360; require the disc to be in the drive if you want to play the game offline outside of the activation period.

sigh... if true, I guess I'll be getting a Wii U. From what I've gathered, they should be announcing some decent games at E3 giving me a good reason to buy the thing.

A 3dsXL don't look too shabby right now either.

I don't have internet at one of the places I stay so the always connected thing is a pretty big deal breaker for me.

There's actually a much simpler solution and in a way they are already using it on the 360; require the disc to be in the drive if you want to play the game offline outside of the activation period.
<Cue guess mode>
The issue is again that the Disk is worthless, and only used as a download vector. My thought is that MS is getting rid of Disks as an actual game 'entity'. You are buying the activation code, and the cd-key. The disk is purely a download vector, and offers no validation of any kind about the validity of your access to the game itself. A disk is worthless without an associated account.

The signed 'ticket' route makes a certain amount of sense in this state, as it:
also allows you to play offline
guarantees publishers that you can't sell the game while still being able to play it
allows you the ability to sell a game on an online marketplace very easily
allows gamestop to resell games and take a cut (if necessary, basically have validate your sale through them--though this scenario is much less likely)
allows you to play games on other machines (simply login, and create another game-ticket).

Issues:

Purely offline devices on other machines. You can't simply walk over to a friends house and play a game off of the disk without logging into Xbox Live. This might be worked around by having some offline ticket vector (USB key? or external harddrive perhaps. Tote around your pluggable HDD to your friends house, and the ticket is in the same install as the game. That seems plausible to me).

What happens when XLive services are kaput. My solution would be to switch to indefinite tickets for all owned games on your console. You couldn't buy a new one, but at least all games you own would be playable from your machine.

Another issue is of course when people hack your console, but again that's going to happen no matter what..so I doubt publishers/ms can really do much to stop it.

artist

Banned
Sorry for the bump but remember this guy trolling yosp?

@yosp hello yoshida-san can you please disable used game for ps4 to help protect the industry?
thank you
Dave (a concerned consumer)
https://twitter.com/DaveMeltzerGAF/status/338793167958728705

Done my part :)
If they end up requiring me to have a disc in my drive at all times or some bullshit just so people can trade games I'm going to kill every NeoGAF member holding back progress.
step outside and say that to my face m8 ill cut u up
Dave Meltzer said:
Don't worry, our time will come.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60003045&postcount=161

Banned
(Today, 05:43 PM)

Welp ...

Eusis

That second one is ridiculous even as a joke though, never mind that most of us want both digital and retail options as the day one standard. If needing the disc is so offensive buy digitally, and if you want to eat your cake and have it too then buy both.

Frankly the notion of needing to buy a disc, install, activate, BUT NOT BUY FROM THEIR ONLINE STORE DESPITE THE INTERNET AND LARGE HARD DRIVE REQUIRED would be more backwards, most backwards if I can't download registered games either. But I'm hoping Microsoft's not THAT foolish.

I really like this thread, and the ensuing hashtag movement was based on Geof Keighley saying (and I paraphrase):

"I think Sony have to follow suit if Microsoft does it".

This thread was always horribly worded. But I am glad I guess it had the impact it did.

Top Bottom