• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Menitta

sakurai realized just how garbage she is

KwRIobw.gif

Gleethor

My personal wishlist for characters:

Wolf
Ice Climbers
Snake
Inkling
Blastoise
Linkle
Takamaru
Hades
Isabelle
Bomberman
Slime
Slippy (kinda joke character but could have a SF Guard based moveset)
K. Rool
Dixie
Captain Toad
Paper Mario
Ganon
Heihachi
Alph (as his own character)
Excitebiker (retro wtf pick)

I wanted Krystal because of the lack of Female characters, then realized that there are a lot of better options the her.

I think Smash 4 handled gender diversity pretty well.

09BZCCm.png

At this point I think the only important and popular female characters left are Dixie and I guess Isabelle (her being playable doesn't really suit well with me tbh). There's also the Inklings, which can be female like Robin and Villager. Hell, the girl Inkling design is the most popular and iconic one anyway.

Is there a tutorial on adding a unique voice pack to a specific alt? I want to make Link have multiple voices like this video.

Haven't seen anything about that yet, unfortunately.

Host: I see. But we did get a lot of questions like, “Why wasn’t Krystal a playable character?”

Sakurai: It’s not that I don’t understand how that feels, but if you start saying that, it becomes “Why isn’t Waddle Dee playable?” or Dry Bones, or Baby Peach. There’d be no end to it.

8)

I think Smash 4 handled gender diversity pretty well.

09BZCCm.png

At this point I think the only important and popular female characters left are Dixie and I guess Isabelle (her being playable doesn't really suit well with me tbh). There's also the Inklings, which can be female like Robin and Villager. Hell the girl inkling design is the most popular and iconic one anyway.

Haven't seen anything about that yet, unfortunately.

I wouldn't count Robin and Corrin personally, possibly Wendy as well.

Female Corrin is boring (which I guess is totally and completely in character to Corrin in general though), male Corrin at least has the benefit of sounding like a dork.

PK Gaming

If i'm being honest, I sort of agree

Cam Clarke makes Corrin sound so goddamn funny. Like, one of his death quotes should be "how could this be..." but he makes it sound like "OH MY... GOODNESS"

And then there are his win quotes where one of them is literally "I WIN!"

I still can't get over the CD-I Link comparisons for that Corrin victory quote, lol.

Mike West's Fox still reigns king, though. I know the criticism made him feel bad but just...that Star KO cry, man.

Yeah, Female Corrin design looks and sounds like a generic anime girl.

At least the male version has Cam Clarke going for it and a Linkish design.

PK Gaming

Fox's voice direction in Smash 4 is just plain awful

Mike West is a good VA, but there's no reason why Fox should sound like he's constantly suffering from extreme constipations

Finally people understand why male Corrin is superior

Male Corrin is underrated and deserves more love, but Female Corrin is still the QUEEN

Kinsei

Banned
Captain Toad would be even more ground based than Little Mac. Literally cannot jump. No aerials.

They could have two modes of play. You could use their down special to place the backpack on the ground in order to jump, become more mobile, and change their move set. at the loss of power and weight. Their up special when they have the backpack could be a cannon that shoots straight up if used on the ground or horizontally if used in mid-air. Once you go a set height/distance they would plummet as if you had just used Kirby's stone move.

I've loved Toadette ever since I unlocked her in Double Dash back in the day so I would be delighted to play as her in Smash.

Griss

What I'm looking forward to is more detailed character models. Since the game already runs at 1080p/60fps, they'll have a ton of overhead.

And since character models are typically done at a high level of detail, and then scaled back to a level where the game runs smoothly, it shouldn't be much work to go back to the originals and create better quality assets from them. I'd be very surprised if we don't see that.

Can't wait for that higher quality Jigglypuff model.

Fox's voice direction in Smash 4 is just plain awful

Mike West is a good VA, but there's no reason why Fox should sound like he's constantly suffering from extreme constipations

The English VA direction for Smash has always been a weird balance of "great" (Brawl Luigi, MGS/KI:U Characters, Jigglypuff, Peach, both Robins), "average" (generally everyone else), and "complete fucking dumpster fire" (Melee Peppy/Slippy, Smash 4 Star Fox voices barring Falco, Arceus)

I love how nobody noticed as kids because we were all incredibly JAZZED to play as Captain FALCON

"What game is he from?"

"Oh I heard he's from Metroid. He's Samus's rival"

-My cousin

I thought he was a original character for Smash....along with Ness.

in my defense, I was 6

That ending screen is what made me love Falcon.
lol i had completely forgotten about until now since I just cleared Classic mode with Falcon.
I love how nobody noticed as kids because we were all incredibly JAZZED to play as Captain FALCON

"What game is he from?"

"Oh I heard he's from Metroid. He's Samus's rival"

-My cousin
Captain Falcon might as well be a Smash original character tbh

PK Gaming

The English VA direction for Smash has always been a weird balance of "great" (Brawl Luigi, MGS Characters, Jigglypuff, Peach, both Robins), "average" (generally everyone else), and "complete fucking dumpster fire" (Melee Peppy/Slippy, Smash 4 Star Fox voices barring Falco, Arceus)

Don't forget Ike

Literally the best FE lord from a writing perspective reduced to a blubbering idiot thanks to an amateurish VA with poor direction

"I Fight for my friends."

Best part? He doesn't even say that in the Japanese version.

FE character voice direction is generally pretty wonky in Smash. Like, Lucina sounds like an angry soldier from some shoot em up game. Female Corrin is INCREDIBLY cocky and COMPETITIVE despite not being like that at all in her source game (though it's not necessarily a bad thing since her taunts are great). You have female Robin's throwing shade at Lucina for no reason, etc.

It's just plain weird.

Zebei

I thought he was a original character for Smash....along with Ness.

in my defense, I was 6
hey at least you didn't think the entire Melee roster (Except Mario and pokemon) were OCs.

Hell when Brawl came out I STILL thought Falcon an the FE charcters were OC

I also thought Sheik was a dude and Samus was a robot. The woes of growing up with the PS1 and PS2

Don't forget Ike

Literally the best FE lord from a writing perspective reduced to a blubbering idiot thanks to an amateurish VA with poor direction

"I fight for my friends"

FE character voice direction is generally pretty wonky in Smash. Like, Lucina sounds like an angry soldier from some shoot em up game. Female Corrin is INCREDIBLY cocky and COMPETITIVE despite not being like that at all in her source game (though it's not necessarily a bad thing since her taunts are great). You have female Robin's throwing shade at Lucina for no reason, etc.

It's just plain weird.
"you'll get no sympathy from me" is the fucking GOAT

Kinsei

Banned
I was one of the few ki that actually knew who Falcon was because my dad owned F-Zero X. I never played as him though, I always chose the raptor.

Don't forget Ike

"I fight for my friends"

It's just plain weird.

" I fight for my friends" sounds like something Ike would say, so I can accept that

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I remember thinking Falcon was an original Smash character until Melee came out.

Played him in 64 and Melee, and that led to me getting (and loving) F-Zero GX. Likewise, I mained Marth during my casual Melee years and that was what got me into Fire Emblem.

On the subject of VA I still think it's a shame Ali Hillis couldn't return to voice Palutena. Brandy Kopp does sound close but she doesn't quite have the same charisma and character of Ali's performance. It's not so noticeable during a round when she's just doing general grunts but it's pretty off-putting when she's speaking full dialogue within the Palutena Guidances.

Also I kinda really dislike Little Mac's voice who's obviously being done by a Japanese guy lol. I know he doesn't speak actual words but he still sounds like an angry samurai rather than a normal dude and it's distracting. It's one of the reasons why I tend to use Mac's wireframe skins when playing as him considering it mutes his voice. At least Doc Louis sounds great.

Don't forget Ike

"I Fight for my friends."

It's just plain weird.

What's weird I find him more tolerable now since the voice actually fits his RD body type. "I fight for my friends" is still pretty bad, though.

Lucina I find fine, although her sarcasm against Marth/Ike is weird.

Fun fact, that's actually Chris Seavor who did their voices (Starfox Adventures was coming out at the time). Funny how the voice of Conker has been immortalized in Smash Bros. even long after Rare left the building lol.

I knew that, which makes it all the harder to slam considering how amazing the Conker voices are, but just...man. Man. Even back when I was I was 10 I knew those two voices were fucking dire.

PK Gaming

"you'll get no sympathy from me" is the fucking GOAT

"Don't hold back against me, I'm not gentle" sounds way more badass tbh. Ike is a pretty sympathetic dude so the translation never made sense to me.

" I fight for my friends" sounds like something Ike would say, so I can accept that

He sounds like a simple-minded friend loving idiot, when he's anything but that. The quote in the original is something like "I fight for those that need to protected" which extends to people beyond his friends.

What's weird I find him more tolerable now since the voice actually fits his RD body type. "I fight for my friends" is still pretty bad, though.

Lucina I find fine, although her sarcasm against Marth/Ike is weird.

She's super deferential to them in the Japanese version, so it's extra funny to me.

I didn't realize people care so much for voice acting in Smash.

I'm pretty in different about it. Even if Ike is my favorite FE lord.

I will admit, I thought Melee Falco had the best voice, the rest I never cared for

I didn't realize people care so much for voice acting in Smash.

I'm pretty in different about it. Even if Ike is my favorite FE lord.

I will admit, I thought Melee Falco had the best voice, the rest I never cared for

The best Falco voice is still the 64 one nothing has really come that close since.

Top Bottom