• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro Truck Sim 2 |OT| - it's like Elite, but in a big rig and in Europe

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I love love love the music.

Has anyone launched their business off the ground yet?

Yep, took out a 400k loan and have got two drivers and 3 trucks between me and them.

I noticed that the camera anti speed mod stopped working under this new steam patch, gotta find (or wait) the revised mod.

Right Click Euro Truck Simulator 2 in your steam list, properties, betas.

There, you can find previous versions of the game, so just sit tight on whichever version the mods worked with.

LegoArmo

Thanks for the info about loans.

I found this site, I don't speak Chinese (which I think this is), and I have no idea if this is safe or not (passed a virus scan), but the app on here, and the Google translated instructions allowed me to get my 360 controller working perfectly with this game, as in, with force feedback, and both triggers being pressed at the same time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I couldn't find any other way of doing this?

Linky

calder

Sorry England but your extortionate policy towards speed camera tickets is forcing this small business owner to move to the continent. And 150 spacebucks for a headlight offence? Come on, it was barely dusk! I'm also wonder WTF the speed limit is for most of England, I'm doing barely 90 on a 3 lane divided highway and get a speeding ticket? Cars are whipping past my busted old rig, this is an outrage!

I tried to get the controller setup with my DS3 but instantly went back to the keyboard. You need to do so much on the keyboard anyway, and setting the axis' for the right stick to be able to see around was a lot more effort than I wanted to put in, I just expected to see the 360 buttons as a default.

EDIT: oh does anyone have a keyboard layout image handy? Yeah I really should remember the lights or wiper by now but I strangely don't. Wouldn't mind making my second monitor the keyboard layout so I don't need to keep going into the settings to see it as much.

Sorry England but your extortionate policy towards speed camera tickets is forcing this small business owner to move to the continent. And 150 spacebucks for a headlight offence? Come on, it was barely dusk! I'm also wonder WTF the speed limit is for most of England, I'm doing barely 90 on a 3 lane divided highway and get a speeding ticket? Cars are whipping past my busted old rig, this is an outrage!

The limit is 70mph on National Speed limit roads (most motorways) unless they have reduced speeds due to roadworks (and just like real England that can be an all to common occurrence!)

I finally picked up the full version of this game yesterday after loving the demo back at Christmas. Its such an odd game to play, feels really relaxing just to cruise from one location to another with only a pretty fair time limit imposed against you. The game runs like a dream on my PC with maxed settings and I just love site seeing as I drive as well as the different environmental/weather effects on the game. Plus the real radio streams are ace and really add another level of realism into the game.
I've also finally managed to get the hang of parking in the game, its the one thing that caused me problems in the demo but I'm slowly but surely getting better at it.

Raxious

Press Esc and pick the Radio option, or just hit the R key while driving to go directly to the Radio menu. Click the "Update From Internet" option to get the default list of stations.

sweet, does that give me more traffic? :p

edit:
Damn, installed both mods listed a few posts before ( essentials and project realism, and my game just crashed when it's loading the game after selecting I wanna do the tutorial ). :(

edit2:
fixed it, was the Essentials Trailers.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
How you get music? Don't tell me theirs a radio button? I been driving in silence.

I was driving around in silence for the first hour or two. I started to wonder where the radio was since I read gaffers talking about it. I just started pressing random buttons to see what they do and the radio popped up. I haven't listened to all the stations, only really Brussels. So good.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Band of Thieves Trucking is up and running. Look out, Eastern Europe.

Band of Thieves Trucking - "We'll take your stuff!"

IRL, the motorway speedlimit for a HGV is 55mph iirc, which is lower than that of smaller vehicles.

Earned almost 20k euro tavelling trough italy ansd switzerland. But now i'm in the south of italy spending some quality time at the sea... thinking about this fucking game.

Monday night will be the night!

I can't get the radio to play, it's annoying...

Why not? Are you trying custom stations? It should be no different to streaming from a browser.

I am losing £500 a day with my second garage at first I thought it was cause its a 3 slot garage but the fees are all for the truck maintenance and salary. Not sure what I can do.

Here are some things that i think make the beginning of the game easy:

-Take out big loans as early as you can to buy and upgrade the starting garage, hire 2 other drivers, and buy trucks for all 3 of you. I took a 100,000 and a 400,000 loan at the same time and was making enough doing freight jobs to pay them back.

-The ai drivers won't make much when you first hire them. Go to the driver manager and tell them to prioritize long distance driving and in a week or so they will be making about enough to pay the loans back without you.

-For your own skill points (this isn't mine but it seems pretty legit):
ADR class 6 and class 2 have the highest payout for some types of cargo (ex: acid, which has a price coefficient of 2.20). However, because ADR deliveries only have a single level, they're not the way to make more money. Heavy cargo has (in general) a higher price coefficient than fragile cargo. Since you can increase your % bonus by leveling these up, with Heavy Cargo at level 6 and just-in-time at level 6 (since these combine), you will get the most money going with those skills.

That being said, Fragile cargo has a slightly higher XP bonus than Heavy Cargo (22% vs 18%). So if you're looking to squeeze out more XP rather than money, then you should go Fragile cargo level 6 and Just-in-time level 6. Personally I feel that leveling up is fast enough already, and you'd be better off going for the cash option of Heavy Cargo + JIT.

You'll also want to level up Long Distance, since this will give you reward bonuses that stack with the other skills.

A typical game would look like this for me: Heavy, JIT, Heavy, JIT, Heavy, Long Distance, Heavy, Heavy, Long Distance, Heavy, JIT, JIT, JIT, JIT, Long Distance (up to max). Lastly I'd spend on eco-driving.

Two final tips: When searching for a job, always list by "Price per distance" in order to get the maximum payout per mile. Learn how to park the trailers and never skip parking them manually, so you always get the xp bonus for that.

-Parking the truck manually (with a controller). I use the 2nd camera angle for parking. turn the truck around so that it is pretty much lined up straight and directly in front of the parking space. Spin the camera so that you are looking at the front of the truck, with the parking space behind it.

==== | ====D <-camera
space | truck

Reverse verrrry slowly, If you move the left stick a hair to the left the back of the truck will aim left, if you move it right the back of the truck will aim right. I'm only breaking that down because it took me like 30 mins to park the first truck. :D

Most trucks get an in-dash gps at level 12 and it is tits.

Lyonaz

I parked my truck in reverse for the first time this morning, that felt good.

I'm gonna try to hook up my Logitech Driving Force GT wheel later tonight.

SparkTR

I just spent the past 10 minutes sitting at a virtual T-intersection listing to a German radio station. WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE.

jet1911

Why not? Are you trying custom stations? It should be no different to streaming from a browser.

I know but when I double click on a radio station it doesn't start(same thing when I press the play button). When I tried the demo a couple of months back the radio was working fine...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Remember, England uses MPH while Europe is mostly in KPH (Kilometers Per Hour). I use the options to switch my dashboard between the two depending on where I am driving.

I just purchased this game during the Steam sale. I recently got my Rift dev kit, so I'm buying up anything and everything that might work with it. So I found my DF wheel in the garage (which I had never set up on my PC), tweaked some game setting, injected some .dlls, put on my rift and set out terrorize the European highways.

The developers have been hinting at proper rift support, and hopefully that comes soon, because the hacked-together method I tried causes weird texture issues to pop up after a couple of minutes of gametime. The head-tracking worked fine, and it was quite amazing, until the seizure-inducing graphic freak out.

So I was just about to put the game aside and wait for a rift patch. But before I did, my son happened to get a glimpse of the game. He's 10, and autistic. He falls very near the center of the spectrum. Maybe tilting towards the high-functioning. He is very verbal and very smart, but socially unaware.

For as long as I can remember, he's had this fascination with road signs and maps. He will literally walk up to road signs and talk to them, and hug them. He is a terrible back seat driver because he knows the name of every road and he is very insistent we take certain routes. It can be quite maddening when you're trying to get someplace in a hurry and he insists you take a particular path. But he is a happy and beautiful boy, and we try to accommodate his requests whenever practical.

He loves games (what 10 year old boy doesn't) but usually sticks with LBP, or he creates towns and roads in Garry's Mod. He was intrigued to see the wheel controller set up in front of the PC, and when he seen me driving a big rig, he insisted that I let him try (like...immediately).

Once he took the wheel in his hand, and felt the rumble of the engine, a huge smile spread across his face. He soon figured out the controls and set off down the road. He was exuberant. He followed the rules of the road and was a considerate driver. A storm rolled in and it started to rain. (storms are another fascination of his) He could barely contain himself. As the lightening cracked, he was bursting with glee.

I must tell you, as a parent of an autistic child, I swelled up with tears. I still swell up with tears just remembering the moment. Seeing this type of interaction is rare. Plus, he wanted to involve me...show me the roads, show me the storms, show me his progress. It was a very special moment for us.

Also, and this may sound ridiculous, but this experience gave me hope that he might someday be able to support himself and have a fulfilling career. I know it's just a game, but in that instant it expanded our vision of his potential future.

I just needed to share this, and say thank you to the devs.

Because of this experience, I gave the game more time myself, and can clearly see why people love it. The RPS review said it much better than I could. I put in about 3 hours last night and it was fabulous. Specifically, support for the DF wheel is spectacular. the force feedback is top-notch and I can almost map all the controls to the wheel. Every button on the wheel can be assigned.

I went in with pretty low expectations. For 10 bucks, I got much more than I could've imagined.

I like the game so far but to be honest I am disappointed regarding the scale of the map. I tought it was a full blown Europe map, not some abridged version of it. Plus I thought I would drive real kilometers. Other than that, it's a very relaxing game. Can't wait to have enough space cash to buy my own truck!

statham

Just made my first delivery, and gave up trying to park it after 15 minutes, I'm sure I'll get it.
2 things, The engines sounds are bad, is there a popular mod to fix this and I cant get the stream radio to come on. Any Ideas?

Oneironaut

Neo Member
I just purchased this game during the Steam sale. I recently got my Rift dev kit, so I'm buying up anything and everything that might work with it. So I found my DF wheel in the garage (which I had never set up on my PC), tweaked some game setting, injected some .dlls, put on my rift and set out terrorize the European highways.

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2378

I tried it but the eye separation was off, and for some reason I can't adjust it in the latest version of Vireio, but you could try it and maybe you'll have better luck.

I can't wait for the official support.

Double D

I played quite a bit of this last night. Earned about 20k doing jobs and took out a 100k loan. Bought a 99k truck. I thought I'd earn a lot more with my own rig, but kind of regretting not going with the 400k loan and getting my whole operation set up. About how much can I earn daily once I have my own garage and drivers? I may take out the bigger loan and use it to pay off the 100k, then go from there. Also, what are the best things to level up?

jyoung188

I'm tempted to buy this before the deal is over. Does the wireless Xbox 360 wheel work with the game? I've never tried hooking it up to my PC before.

beatiful story
It's so great to read something like this about a game like this.
It's so heart warming.

I hope you two do have a lot incredibly cool hours playing this game together.

@ papersleeve: yep, the map is kinda scaled down too much. I drove from Dresden to Erfurt last night. I thought I can see some sceneries I know while driving by my town but it wasn't even there. Same with the town of my parents and a friend of mine which all are in between this two cities and aren't by any means small towns at all :(

On the other hand, driving through whole Europe would take ages :D Noone wants to drive from north Berlin to south Berlin in 3 real hours :D

Scandinavian Truck Simulator would be ace. Driving around the fjordes and stuff. One can dream :)

cilonen

Just trying to add the BBC radio stations is frustrating the heck out of me.

Yeah they use proprietary streaming - or they try and force you to use their proprietary streaming. It's maddening.

There were some good old plain stream URL's floating around a couple of months ago but I could never get them to work in the game.

Double D

I'm tempted to buy this before the deal is over. Does the wireless Xbox 360 wheel work with the game? I've never tried hooking it up to my PC before.

Go to the BST thread and buy it from Dunder for $4. No idea on the wheel support. However, this game is making me think about purchasing a G27...

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So, what names did everyone pick for their companies?

I'm running with Big Jimmy's Jiffy Transport

Should i be running the game normally or click on Direct X when booting up the game?

DirectX mode looks prettier!

The limit for trucks in UK is 56mph on a motorway. Cars are 70mph. Maybe this game uses 70mph for all vehicles though, I don't know.

Just trying to add the BBC radio stations is frustrating the heck out of me.

My Docs -> Euro Truck Sim 2 -> Open live_streams.sii with Notepad.
Scroll to the bottom of the list.
Add the following
stream_data[196]: "mms://wmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/bbc_ami/radio1/radio1_bb_live_ep1_sw1?BBC-UID=45805809f026eed5c54a979ad1d0867f79333672b010a1 91d2f23323f4b4f575&amp;SSO2-UID=|BBC Radio 1"
stream_data[197]: "mms://wmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/bbc_ami/radio2/radio2_bb_live_ep1_sw1?BBC-UID=45805809f026eed5c54a979ad1d0867f79333672b010a1 91d2f23323f4b4f575&amp;SSO2-UID=|BBC Radio 2"
stream_data[198]: "mms://wmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/bbc_ami/radio3/radio3_bb_live_ep1_sw1?BBC-UID=45805809f026eed5c54a979ad1d0867f79333672b010a1 91d2f23323f4b4f575&amp;SSO2-UID=|BBC Radio 3"
stream_data[199]: "mms://wmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/bbc_ami/radio4/radio4_bb_live_ep1_sw1?BBC-UID=45805809f026eed5c54a979ad1d0867f79333672b010a1 91d2f23323f4b4f575&amp;SSO2-UID=|BBC Radio 4"
stream_data[200]: "mms://wmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/bbc_ami/radio4/radio4xtra_bb_live_ep1_sw1?BBC-UID=45805809f026eed5c54a979ad1d0867f79333672b010a1 91d2f23323f4b4f575&amp;SSO2-UID=|BBC Radio 4 Extra"
stream_data[201]: "mms://wmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/bbc_ami/radio5/radio5_bb_live_ep1_sw1?BBC-UID=45805809f026eed5c54a979ad1d0867f79333672b010a1 91d2f23323f4b4f575&amp;SSO2-UID=|BBC Radio 5 Live"
stream_data[202]: "mms://wmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/bbc_ami/radio5/5spxtra_bb_live_ep1_sw1?BBC-UID=45805809f026eed5c54a979ad1d0867f79333672b010a1 91d2f23323f4b4f575&amp;SSO2-UID=|BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra"
stream_data[203]: "http://icy-e-02.sharp-stream.com/coolfm.mp3"
Ensure that where it says stream_data[196] that the one previous is 195. Otherwise change it so that each one has an individual "slot".

ps. I threw in Cool FM as well, best NI radio station ;)

Addnan

^ I've been wondering if you can get BBC radios stations into the game, never looked into it though. Thanks for posting that, working perfectly!

Top Bottom