• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Anth0ny

It's really annoying. I have yet to see anyone ask for "beginners tips" and all this unsolicited information is being tossed around. Remind you of someone?

"Hey...LISTEN!"

You've yet to see anyone come into a Majora's Mask thread with a comment like "This game sucks, I hate being rushed in my Zelda games. I got halfway through a dungeon and the timer ended"?

You must be new to Majora's Mask threads. The timer is by far the most common criticism of the game. It becomes a non factor if you use owl statues, warping and inverted song of time correctly. The inverted song of time is very easy to miss in the game, and Nintendo has done nothing to change that with the remake.

Just some constructive criticism on the OP:

As someone that has played the game, I feel like the OP gives away far too much. Did you really need to mention how the fairies
meet the Skull Kid?
Or did the
Four Giants
really need to be in the OP? And why list every mask including the
Fierce Deity Mask?
I think new players would enjoy discovering these things for themselves by playing the game.

I know that some of these things have been shown or referenced in other games like Smash Bros or Hyrule Warriors, but lets not assume that these things have already been spoiled for everyone. The OP is well put together, I just think that it'd be improved if you omitted some things.

Yup, as stated on page 1 I totally agree.

Myansie

Bought a new 3ds xl a couple of weeks ago on a bit of a whim. There was a demo kiosk with Smash Bros running that convinced me. I always liked the 3d, even on the original, but the new 3d is so solid and convincing. After two weeks use, it can spaz a bit, but over all it's fantastic. I bought ALBW and love it. Great game that really benefits from the improved 3d and format that is the 3DS.

Now Majora is here, I'm really looking forward to picking it up. Missed it on N64, I always thought it was just an expansion pack. In retrospect I'm glad I did. This remaster looks amazing!

Three amazing Zeldas in one year!!!

Great OT.

I love this game, which is weird because the first time I played it was back in 2000 when it released on the N64. I couldnt get used to it and fustrated that it "wasn't like OOT!" (which is the best game ever ;))

I finally got around to completing it on the Wii version around 3 years ago, and it left a special place in my heart.

Will be getting this for my birthday next month I think.

z4chc3na

I finally get to the play this game. Ive been going through all the Zelda games, replaying some and playing others for the first time and I have to say this is the one I'm the most excited for!!

Anth0ny

You know what's cool? You don't need to group those people with those who are willing to plow through it on their own no different than we did nearly 15 years ago.

Additionally, these people are not asking for a backstory on characters introduced throughout the game. Why is it important to give away information about
giants, relationships, secret masks
? Are we going to let the cutscenes and old school exploration mean anything?

If people are lost, they do what is normally done: ask and we mark the answer. Simple.

Story? Here's the story: Link comes across the mysterious land of Termina, a land whose inhabitants have 3 days before the moon comes crashing down. Can Link find a way to save them and reunite with a lost friend he is in search of? You don't need two paragraphs which give too much away

I agree that the story/mask spoilers should be removed from the OP. Not cool for anyone experiencing the game for the first time.

I'd just rather the thread not get filled with "The timer is lame! It's rushing me! I run out of time!" and "Play the inverted song of time, noob" exchanges.

Aeana

I've never really appreciated this game, and the love it gets from friends of mine has always made me feel really weird. Hopefully I like it more this time around.

Yrael

Hnnnnng, I can't wait for this...I'm getting the game on Saturday.

By the way, there's a nice little Easter Egg
in the bomb shop - notice anything about the machine in the back?

(Nothing major(a), just thought I'd put a spoiler tag on it anyway!)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've never really appreciated this game, and the love it gets from friends of mine has always made me feel really weird. Hopefully I like it more this time around.

I actually hated it the first time I played it, revisted it years later (after WW/before TP IIRC) and it's my favorite Zelda now.

I'm interested in seeing how people who didn't care for it before take it now since I went through a weird change with it.

Revisiting this is going to be weird. It's like getting a recreation of a classic car and it drives better than ever but now it's covered in a few weird little dings and dents.

And the OOT guys get their car and it's just fine :p

Still can't wait. I love Majora's Mask.

I always had a question about the game

Spoiler tags

so exactly where is termina located? I thought we explored all of the world in OoT. Also if the moon falls, doesn't it, by extension, wipe out hyrule too? I always been confused.

Tookay

I always had a question about the game

Spoiler tags

so exactly where is termina located? I thought we explored all of the world in OoT. Also if the moon falls, doesn't it, by extension, wipe out hyrule too? I always been confused.
Parallel dimension. That's why it has people from OoT in it who act differently.

SirNinja

Why are people so quick to spoil the Song of Double Time and Inverted Song of Time?

All three songs of time are listed on the bottom screen whenever you start playing the ocarina and bring up the songs menu. They're not secrets anymore. (Nor should they be.)

I'm getting the new 3DS primarily for Monster Hunter, but I am very interested in MM3D. I'm ashamed to say that the only Zelda game I have played is the original.

But I do want to try and get into Zelda. Where should I start? I have a WiiU also, so I was thinking of picking up Wind Waker HD at some point. Does it matter what order I play the games in? I just don't know what game I should get first.

komorebi

I'm getting the new 3DS primarily for Monster Hunter, but I am very interested in MM3D. I'm ashamed to say that the only Zelda game I have played is the original.

But I do want to try and get into Zelda. Where should I start? I have a WiiU also, so I was thinking of picking up Wind Waker HD at some point. Does it matter what order I play the games in? I just don't know what game I should get first.

FWIW, Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game and I've played them all. For someone's first Zelda I would probably recommend A Link to the Past (I think its on the VC?) or Ocarina of Time for 3DS. Then Wind Waker and Majora's Mask. Order doesn't matter but OoT and MM are the most similar.

It doesn't matter what order you play the games in for the most part. They fit into a loose timeline, but it's only relevant to the whole if you're interested, not to any single entry.

WWHD is a fine entry point. You could also start with MM3D, but OoT3D might be better because OoT-->MM is one of very few cases in the series of a direct sequel.

Everyone will tell you that ocarina of time is probably the best 3d zelda to play and link to the past is the best 2d. I'd say since you're interested in majora, play ocarina then play majora.

Here are the zeldas I'd say you can't miss (in no order):
Link to the past
Links awakening
Minish cap
Link between worlds
Ocarina of time 3d
Majora mask 3d
Original legend of Zelda

Here are the ones that split opinions:
Oracle of seasons
Oracle of ages
Skyward sword
Twilight princess
Wind waker hd
Adventure of link

And these are the ones most would probably say go ahead and skip:
Spirit tracks
Phantom hourglass

With a 3ds and wii u you have access to every zelda made one way or another. (Except for minish cap which I'm pretty sure is only available to 3ds ambassadors, very rare if you have it)

The Flash

Banned
Aww yeah. My first Nintendo game in 15 years. Can't wait. Hopefully my LE order from Best Buy ships soon. Either way, my body is 300% ready.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yeah I think that all the "hints to not suck at this game" need to be in spoiler tags at the absolute least, and potentially removed entirely. Nintendo has done a ton to try and make this game more accessible, let's see if it actually works first huh?

And that includes the song of time variations. Let people discover them, and we can use them to help people who are frustrated, but to pre-educate everyone on every dang part of the game like this is way too much. We didn't need this, let's give the next generation the same credit. They're a crutch that not everyone will need or even want. In a drive to "help," I think virgin experiences are being damaged here.

And yeah the mask and character lists in the OP posts absolutely need to go, especially with the "treat this like a new game" message right at the top of the OP, come on.

Curious question to the people who have played the game before. How many cycles (Times you play the Song of Time) would it take you if you tried to finish the game as fast as possible and get all 24 masks but not do all the sidequests? You technically have to do a majority of them to get all the masks but some can be skipped as they only give Heart Pieces/bottles.

I'd say it would take about 8 cycles not counting
the very first one needed to turn back into human
unless you skip the faries and all the non mandatory quests. Its possible to do it in 3/4 cycles roughly but you'd have to skip masks.

FWIW, Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game and I've played them all. For someone's first Zelda I would probably recommend A Link to the Past (I think its on the VC?) or Ocarina of Time for 3DS. Then Wind Waker and Majora's Mask. Order doesn't matter but OoT and MM are the most similar.

It doesn't matter what order you play the games in for the most part. They fit into a loose timeline, but it's only relevant to the whole if you're interested, not to any single entry.

WWHD is a fine entry point. You could also start with MM3D, but OoT3D might be better because OoT-->MM is one of very few cases in the series of a direct sequel.

Everyone will tell you that ocarina of time is probably the best 3d zelda to play and link to the past is the best 2d. I'd say since you're interested in majora, play ocarina then play majora.

Here are the zeldas I'd say you can't miss (in no order):
Link to the past
Links awakening
Minish cap
Link between worlds
Ocarina of time 3d
Majora mask 3d
Original legend of Zelda

Here are the ones that split opinions:
Oracle of seasons
Oracle of ages
Skyward sword
Twilight princess
Wind waker hd
Adventure of link

And these are the ones most would probably say go ahead and skip:
Spirit tracks
Phantom hourglass

With a 3ds and wii u you have access to every zelda made one way or another. (Except for minish cap which I'm pretty sure is only available to 3ds ambassadors, very rare if you have it)
Thanks guys! I think I may go OoT then MM, followed by Link Between Worlds and WWHD somewhere down the line. I only wish I could still get a physical copy of OoT.

Zing

Banned
As someone who has never played this game and enjoys discovering things on his own, the constant and endlessly repeated "inverse song of time" stuff is very unwelcome. It's on pretty much every page of every Majoras Mask thread.

I came to this thread to read about technical performance and features, as well as general reviews and fun comments. Instead I find a spoiler-filled OP (which I was fortunately able to skim over without ruining too much) and more "inverse song of time" spam, as if everyone who plays this game sucks at video games and needs it enabled by default or something.

Have common courtesy to use spoiler tags. I've participated in many OTs for games I was trying to avoid spoilers for, and it's worked fine until now.

Thanks guys! I think I may go OoT then MM, followed by Link Between Worlds and WWHD somewhere down the line. I only wish I could still get a physical copy of OoT.

You can, but it's going to take some searching. Go to every target, Walmart and best buy around. There should, be one somewhere. Game stops will most likely not have anything but used copies (and marked up to above retail).

As someone who has never played this game and enjoys discovering things on his own, the constant and endlessly repeated "inverse song of time" stuff is very unwelcome. It's on pretty much every page of every Majoras Mask thread.

I came to this thread to read about technical performance and features, as well as general reviews and fun comments. Instead I find a spoiler-filled OP (which I was fortunately able to skim over without ruining too much) and more "inverse song of time" spam, as if everyone who plays this game sucks at video games and needs it enabled by default or something.

Have common courtesy to use spoiler tags. I've participated in many OTs for games I was trying to avoid spoilers for, and it's worked fine until now.
Yeah, I'm sorry you have to put up with that stuff. It really just seems like people who really love Majora's Mask are simply afraid that others won't like it because they're playing it "wrong". How about we let those people just play the game and learn about these things just like the rest of us did and decide for themselves whether or not they like rather than guiding them down the path of least resistance?

Busaiku

Well, since I won't be getting my New 3DS XL for 1-2 weeks, I can at least get through this, to send off my 3DS XL.

komorebi

Good luck in your hunt. If your only option is digital, do it. Its a game you won't want to get rid of either way so you might as well double down.

Crayolan

Curious question to the people who have played the game before. How many cycles (Times you play the Song of Time) would it take you if you tried to finish the game as fast as possible and get all 24 masks but not do all the sidequests? You technically have to do a majority of them to get all the masks but some can be skipped as they only give Heart Pieces/bottles.

I'd say it would take about 8 cycles not counting
the very first one needed to turn back into human
unless you skip the faries and all the non mandatory quests. Its possible to do it in 3/4 cycles roughly but you'd have to skip masks.

It's been a while since I last played the game but I'm pretty sure I've been able to 100% the game (all masks, heart pieces, and bottles) in 7 cycles before
(not including the first cycle as a deku)
. I'm a little rusty now though so I'm not sure I'll be able to be so efficient with this playthrough.

Maengun1

I'm dying to play this game again, but not sure when I'll be able to. I don't want to pick it up until I have the New 3DS, and if I can't somehow score a MM edition tomorrow (unlikely) I'm probably going to wait and see if a Xenoblade special edition is going to be announced.

XaosWolf

Tomorrow (fingers crossed it arrives) is going to be hell deciding which game to play first: this or MH4U.

Excited for both, one being brand new, and the other a game I played through on the Wii VC and did none of the sidequests in...

Seda

Amazon told me that my copy was going to be shipped on March 27th (uh, okay), so I guess I'll have to find one locally on Friday.

Top Bottom