• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron Releases a Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

Another part of the disconnect guys like JonTron tend to have is that they tend to view a racist as something you specifically choose to be, like a member of a political party. Of course, it isn't, it's a description of behaviour and thoughts. JonTron spouts racist shit so he's a racist. End of story. But he may genuinely believe he's not a racist because, regardless off what he says, he doesn't want people to think of him as one.

People also like to confuse racism with racial hatred, so that they can excuse someone's blatantly racist statements and actions by saying well, he doesn't actually hate those people. I don't think that applies here, though, since JonTron's not trying to hide his white power level here.

(This isn't a reply to anything specific, but it's a thought that keeps coming to my mind whenever blatantly racist people insist they aren't racist.)

There's a distinct difference between Palestinians and Jewish folks debating and a neutral party there.

And everything that's happening with JonTron

There is a difference, but I'm not saying what JonTron did and what I experienced in that university is identical. That would be a pointless superficial thing to say. The point was to show how people are disingenuous with argumentation no matter what their political, social, racial, or economic alignments are. Poor debating and argumentation with others has been a problem for years before the alt-right movement was a thing, and will continue to be as long as people are stubborn and refuse to concede points for the sake of coming off as smart/correct/what have you.

Matsukaze

"White" was basically a concept made up by the bourgeois centuries ago to prevent indentured and poor whites and enslaved blacks from realizing they were on the same side economically and socially and revolting together. It characterized the ruling class as a sort of standard that lower-class whites could live up to- gave them a taste of power- and thus racial divisions occurred.

Once you understand this, every racial issue in America logically follows: You understand why different European groups like the Irish and Italians were forced to leave behind the depths of their cultures for the security of being considered "white." You understand why Asians even tried at all to legally argue in court that they too should be considered "white." As a result of this attempt at assimilating all of these different cultures and peoples down into this one thing called "whiteness" or "white culture," you understand why even most white people can't actually tell you what "white culture" is, a peculiar problem not faced by ethnic minorities like black people, Latino groups, Asians, and natives.

You understand why white people will, on average, see other poor whites (like those unfortunate coal miners) as undeserving victims of an unfair system while poor blacks are just lazy welfare queens and poor Latinos are all illegals who are undermining proper work standards and diluting the gene pool. You understand why the nearly free land and money grants given to white people by the government throughout this country's history are not considered welfare, while welfare initiatives that work to include minorities too are indicative of "handouts" and "entitlements" that they don't deserve. You understand why white people love the ACA but hate Obamacare. You understand why white people overwhelmingly voted for Trump while most other ethnic minorities- even those who face the exact same kind of economic dead ends that poor white people do- voted the other way regardless.

And finally, you understand why people who look white regardless of them actually being of Iranian descent like JonTron will basically throw themselves on the spear and turn their backs on who they really are to defend whiteness. Because ultimately, "white" means power, and the long and short of it is people don't want to give up their power.
Adding my voice to those saying this is a great post.

I just hope other youtubers and the media keep making a fuss about racism and xenophobia until people realize how toxic the whole internet is because all those alt righters depend on the anonymity to keep getting stronger.

Teran

"And finally, you understand why people who look white regardless of them actually being of Iranian descent

But Iranians are caucasian, Iran literally means land of the Aryans, and the word Aryan is Persian, lol. The Persian language is part of the Indo-European family.

But yeah I mean whatever.

L Thammy

Man, I saw "Harmful Opinions" and my first thought was that it was JonTron's Twitter account. I wasn't expecting him to be so self-aware.

Also, now that the video's finally loaded for me, what the fuck. I'd think he was joking if he wasn't him. Drink ten thousands leagues of shit JonTron.
I know it's cut to make fun of him but the Barack Obama bit doesn't seem to cut?

Ryuuga

Banned
"White" was basically a concept made up by the bourgeois centuries ago to prevent indentured and poor whites and enslaved blacks from realizing they were on the same side economically and socially and revolting together. It characterized the ruling class as a sort of standard that lower-class whites could live up to- gave them a taste of power- and thus racial divisions occurred.

Once you understand this, every racial issue in America logically follows: You understand why different European groups like the Irish and Italians were forced to leave behind the depths of their cultures for the security of being considered "white." You understand why Asians even tried at all to legally argue in court that they too should be considered "white." As a result of this attempt at assimilating all of these different cultures and peoples down into this one thing called "whiteness" or "white culture," you understand why even most white people can't actually tell you what "white culture" is, a peculiar problem not faced by ethnic minorities like black people, Latino groups, Asians, and natives.

You understand why white people will, on average, see other poor whites (like those unfortunate coal miners) as undeserving victims of an unfair system while poor blacks are just lazy welfare queens and poor Latinos are all illegals who are undermining proper work standards and diluting the gene pool. You understand why the nearly free land and money grants given to white people by the government throughout this country's history are not considered welfare, while welfare initiatives that work to include minorities too are indicative of "handouts" and "entitlements" that they don't deserve. You understand why white people love the ACA but hate Obamacare. You understand why white people overwhelmingly voted for Trump while most other ethnic minorities- even those who face the exact same kind of economic dead ends that poor white people do- voted the other way regardless.

And finally, you understand why people who look white regardless of them actually being of Iranian descent like JonTron will basically throw themselves on the spear and turn their backs on who they really are to defend whiteness. Because ultimately, "white" means power, and the long and short of it is people don't want to give up their power.

holy-sht.gif

I want to frame and mount this.

Makai

Buuuuuut, when Ethan can go to town on a shitbag like Joey Salads for his shitty views on race, making multiple videos about it but not on Jon when he's openly said far worse? Doesn't seem right.
JonTron said worse, but Joey Salads made fake smut videos showing people in the hood destroying a car with a Trump bumper sticker, which is worse.

AESplusF

People keep bringing up the fact that JonTron is half Iranian as if that makes any difference.

My mother is Peruvian born, and my dad is second generation Italian-American.
I've been fortunate enough to visit Peru twice and I love it there, but when it comes to racial issues, they are far behind the U.S.

KarmaCow

People keep bringing up the fact that JonTron is half Iranian as if that makes any difference.

My mother is Peruvian born, and my dad is second generation Italian-American.
I've been fortunate enough to visit Peru twice and I love it there, but when it comes to racial issues, they are far behind the U.S.

The point is JonTron's arguments means that people like his father should have never been allowed to come to America. It's absurd. The white supremacy he's arguing for would exclude him despite how much he says he's one of the good ones.

The_Kid

Yet again Nepenthe your posts put others to shame. *clap clap*

Nepenthe

But Iranians are caucasian, Iran literally means land of the Aryans, and the word Aryan is Persian, lol. The Persian language is part of the Indo-European family.

Iranians are also on Trump's travel ban list.

Literally, if JonTron's parents hadn't immigrated when they did, and he was somehow born in Iran, or hell even if he decided recently to go visit family in Iran, the dumbass would've been targeted by the very white people he's stanning for as being a national security threat.

The whole point is that the concept of "whiteness" doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense the moment you start picking at it with even my level of generalized knowledge.

Signal boosting an amazing post.

I think a large part of it also come from the issue of "passing", as in "passing as white". In the U.S. race is often seeing in a binary fashion, especially when it comes to black and white. JonTron gets to play himself off as being a white American, with all of the social power and benefits that comes with. While on the other end of the spectrum, someone who is half black will only ever be seen as black in the U.S. If JonTron had darker skin and a non-Anglican name he wouldn't pass as white, and a subset of the same people championing his cause would be dismissing him as a Muslim or a terrorist. An outsider rather than "one of us".

Prelude.

Buuuuuut, when Ethan can go to town on a shitbag like Joey Salads for his shitty views on race, making multiple videos about it but not on Jon when he's openly said far worse? Doesn't seem right.
You said it yourself, he's his friend and, iirc, they even got money from him when they were in trouble. People can come to the conclusion that Jon is an ass on their own, it's not like Ethan needs to publicly condemn him to prove that he doesn't think the "white" gene pool is in danger.

Joey Salads is just a very dumb, random guy that does deplorable stuff.

AESplusF

The point is JonTron's arguments means that people like his father should have never been allowed to come to America. It's absurd. The white supremacy he's arguing for would exclude him despite how much he says he's one of the good ones.

Well I agree with you, I was responding in reaction to the idea that Jon's "not white" just because he has an Iranian parent.

He looks like any other white person and I really doubt he's faced any discrimination for being half Iranian.

Goldboy

Just want to point out that caucasian isn't the same as white. There are many races that are technically caucasian but not considered white by 99% of people.

Kyzer

Banned

I've never heard of this, can I get a starting point for research?

You said it yourself, he's his friend and, iirc, they even got money from him when they were in trouble. People can come to the conclusion that Jon is an ass on their own, it's not like Ethan needs to publicly condemn him to prove that he doesn't think the "white" gene pool is in danger.

Then maybe Ethan shouldn't be participating in these kinds of discussions and debates if he will only call out people he doesn't like.

Blaming the media when there's an unedited long damning audio of his racism? What? There's nothing wrong with being secure and admitting problems. Just once I want one of these YouTube guys to take responsibility.
YouTubers have a chip on their shoulders thinking that the traditional media has it out for them because they're the new wave or whatever

If you offered any of those schmucks a TV deal at 2am on MTV3 they'd eat it up in a second

Kebiinu

Banned

Post of the fucking year.

AESplusF

I think a large part of it also come from the issue of "passing", as in "passing as white". In the U.S. race is often seeing in a binary fashion, especially when it comes to black and white. JonTron gets to play himself off as being a white American, with all of the social power and benefits that comes with. While on the other end of the spectrum, someone who is half black will only ever be seen as black in the U.S. If JonTron has darker skin and a non-Anglican name he wouldn't pass as white, and a subset of the same people championing his cause would be dismissing his as a Muslim or a terrorist. An outsider rather than "one of us".

Exactly, appearance means everything.
My mother happens to be light skin by chance, but my aunt and my grandfather are brown, which means they are more likely to be discriminated against.
For Hispanics especially, being able to speak English fluently and clearly, goes a long way in making them feel more accepted, and that's not an easy feat.

Teran

Iranians are also on Trump's travel ban list.

Literally, if JonTron's parents hadn't immigrated when they did, and he was somehow born in Iran, or hell even if he decided recently to go visit family in Iran, the dumbass would've been targeted by the very white people he's stanning for as being a national security threat.

The whole point is that the concept of "whiteness" doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense the moment you start picking at it with even my level of generalized knowledge.

The way it's turned out is definitely an ugly thing, but in a broader sense there is an interesting anthropological element to ethnic groups, insofar as it tells the story of how populations of people moved around since humanity's early days.

It's just a pity that the inevitable result is ugly political divisions, but at the end of the day, people who support different sports teams will kill each other over rivalries, hell people kill each other over Nvidia vs AMD.

Nepenthe

I've never heard of this, can I get a starting point for research?

For reading material, read W.E.B Du Bois, James Baldwin, and Theodore Allen. If you want to pass an hour or two with some good ol' fashioned truth bombs, you can also watch Tim Wise's lectures on YouTube (although as I said before, the historical component is mainly used to frame modern anti-racist thinking).

wait

so in his apology for saying racist shit, he brought a "list of evidence" as to why what he said was not racist?

Nah, he didn't even apologize for his racist shit. He just tried to reframe the dumb shit he vomited up the first time.

As someone put it earlier in the thread, he basically said sorry for forgetting his dogwhistles at home, and this statement is him with one in his mouth, and another sitting on his shoulder where his stupid fucking parrot used to go.

Sakwoff

And that, my friends, is the American Dream in a nutshell.

Powerful post. Thank you for this.

Nepenthe

Nah, he didn't even apologize for his racist shit. He just tried to reframe the dumb shit he vomited up the first time.

As someone put it earlier in the thread, he basically said sorry for forgetting his dogwhistles at home, and this statement is him with one in his mouth, and another sitting on his shoulder where his stupid fucking parrot used to go.

Alright. As much as I've turned my back on JonTron over this, we need to leave poor Jacques out of this.

Loyalty is not fealty.

wandering

Banned
For reading material, read W.E.B Du Bois, James Baldwin, and Theodore Allen. If you want to pass an hour or two with some good ol' fashioned truth bombs, you can also watch Tim Wise's lectures on YouTube (although as I said before, the historical component is mainly used to frame modern anti-racist thinking).

Also Frantz Fanon

This post can't be quoted enough

Rainer70

Wow potential GOAT post right here.

louie-rankin.gif

Nightbird

case closed

Lebon14

Well, there it is.
I really wish we could all live together. Fuck the differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom