• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers |OT| Retro Salt At Twice The Price!

This is the top selling game on US Amazon right now. I'm consistently surprised at how well Switch software is moving.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing.

And the thing is, while this game is hella' overpriced, it's still a pretty decent title. So, it's not like people are buying shovelware.

Tansut

I'm having fun with this game but HOLY SHIT Evil Ryu is absurd. If you nail one combo with him that's like...it. His health isn't low enough to even make him feel like a true glass cannon.

Haven't tried out Violent Ken yet, but he seems like he's probably super good in the game, too.

qko

It's... Street Fighter II. I just spent 2 hours with it. I had a $25 gift card and enough points on a credit card to make this free. No regrets.

GAF user F31 Leopard training in the art of Hadou

ZRVtZQ9.gif

Honestly love this, it looks fantastic on the Switch screen and plays just as well. Been playing it on the go a ton since I'm currently moving and it just reminded me how convenient the system is for people on the move. Even though it IS overpriced, I really REALLY want a Alpha Anthology and SF3 collection on the Switch now if this does well enough.

Ha those are great.

Also, if you can please quote your images, it'll greatly reduce their size and not kill the internet :)

(I made Ryu look like a smurf)

Just got it played for a couple of hours and SF2 is still fun.But my thumb hurts from using the switch left analog to play. I dont want to pay premium for a pro controller. The online signal strength seems broken?

iMerc

just bought this yesterday. really really fun. haven't played SF2 in a long time, and it's nice to know some of my arcade muscle memory is still intact. lol.
the 'gaming politics' of this switch release aside, this is that classic SF2 gameplay that we all love and it's really fun.

my code is: SW-4402-2442-1150
my username is Cpt.Picard.
i'm up for a challenge from anyone, especially all you aussies out there. let's see what you got. :p

This guy just came up against my girlfriend. That user name...

image.jpg

i fought that guy too.
i was ryu & he was cammy. i even have the replay saved, lol.

That announcer is awful. I wish we could have the arcade announcer when in classic mode.

I also wish there were better options for video display. I want to ditch the hideous side art in classic mode, and would kill for some scanlines or basic CTR modes. I wish in the Japanese version you could select the western version of the boss names. I hate that Boxer = M.Bison.

Fuck that Udon art is still ugly as sin. It still shocks me how they managed to make Street Fighter 2 so god damned hideous looking. The fixed HD character selection screen and portraits look a thousand times better at least. I still wish we could just have a straight classic mode across the board. I don't even need Emo Ryu or Maladjusted Ken.

Though I love a fightstick, the 8bitdo SFC30 pad is glorious, and ultra portable. I need a second one for those breakout tournaments at the pub.

Neff

It works, I just can't download the USA eshop copy of the game with english language instead of japanese.

Most worldwide Switch games are the same SKU, but as you've discovered, USFII is not. Something to watch out for going forward when buying from the Japanese store.

SeanR1221

I caved. I love SFII and had an eshop gift card from my wife for our anniversary.

I thought I heard you can fight the CPU while you wait to play people online. I can't figure it out or maybe I misheard.

f@luS

More than a member.
I caved. I love SFII and had an eshop gift card from my wife for our anniversary.

I thought I heard you can fight the CPU while you wait to play people online. I can't figure it out or maybe I misheard.
I think it's just the accept online challenge toggle on/off
But i guess it's just for your friend list not random online

Filter

Yeah when you start arcade mode or training mode, it will ask you if you want to search for an online match as you play. You input your search criteria (local or worldwide etc) then it will just do it.

Jumpman23

Is there a way to re-map the buttons? I did a quick look in game but didn't find anything immediately.

Edit: Nevermind figured it out.

Damn, had a nice set with this Dee Jay player named Carve a bit earlier and it was grand. Played 3 games with us both winning 1 game each but he won out at the end in very very close matches....made me realize how much I missed SF2 lol. Yeah I have multiple copies on different versions but playing online SF2 when it's active is just fun as hell. Just played online a little over 2 hours and the connections have been pretty damn good so far! Also the quick matchmaking is great, played about 49 games now :). Thankfully I haven't seen much Evil Ryu, V.Ken or Akumas so far but like 3 or 4 and I'm really glad none of them were good. I tried E.Ryu in practice mode and he definitely is OP as hell.....one combo into dizzy literally does about 70-75% damage. :p

Damn, had a nice set with this Dee Jay player named Carve a bit earlier and it was grand. Played 3 games with us both winning 1 game each but he won out at the end in very very close matches....made me realize how much I missed SF2 lol. Yeah I have multiple copies on different versions but playing online SF2 when it's active is just fun as hell. Just played online a little over 2 hours and the connections have been pretty damn good so far! Also the quick matchmaking is great, played about 49 games now :). Thankfully I haven't seen much Evil Ryu, V.Ken or Akumas so far but like 3 or 4 and I'm really glad none of them were good. I tried E.Ryu in practice mode and he definitely is OP as hell.....one combo into dizzy literally does about 70-75% damage. :p

Awesome! Sounds like you're having a good time :)

The one benefit of modern gaming is patches... I wonder if/when Capcom will release a patch to nerf E. Ryu, because as you said, he's way too OP.

I miss the days of the Capcom Classics collections where tons of games were jammed into the package. How was the SF2 emulation on those ones? Digital Extremes did them, and they always seemed pretty good from a casual standpoint but I'd like to see what a purist thought of them.

EternalWolf

Neo Member
I'm pretty pissed off that HD backgrounds dont move like they do with the original assets on or in HD Remix. I mean the stages aren't even finished, how does this even happen?

The definitive version of Street Fighter 2 is an unfinished version of a game, even though development was completed decades ago and HD Remix was over a decade ago as well.

I am actually extremely happy that Vega's stage functions as it's supposed to though. But alas, I can't justify purchasing this just yet. I noticed the backgrounds not moving in the trailer and it's just going to be one of those things that I can't unsee and will ruin the game for me, even though it shouldn't. It would have been nice to be able to select music and sounds from every version as well. If they can include original and Ultra they can do the rest. The announcer really bothers me as well for some reason.

Digital Foundry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak6Stj97koY

Grimsen

Had fun last night playing local versus with pro controllers. Had no issues doing specials.

Played some handheld today, and couldn't do shit with the joycon with Gief. Had to resort to the analog stick to do anything.

I set up light mode controls with SPD and super on the left triggers, and no touch screen buttons, but it kinda sucks in handheld

This new version is alot of fun. I'm happy it runs much faster as well. Violent Ken is insane in this game! I have to say the online is pretty solid as well. It's over priced for sure but it still a lot for fun. Capcom should of went with $30 pricetag. Only reason I caved is cause Capcom finally announced Monster Hunter for Switch. Lol

Anyone know what the day 1 patch adds besides online matchmaking?

FireRises

downloading now... I love SF and fighters in general. The price is less than desirable but hopefully this opens up Capcom to flooding this little machine with more fighters.

Is there a way to play online with more than just one person at a time? I don't wanna match with one guy and play with that one guy all night - it's a fighting game, I want to win or lose and move on to the next challenger. It seems really odd with the current system.

Is there a way to play online with more than just one person at a time? I don't wanna match with one guy and play with that one guy all night - it's a fighting game, I want to win or lose and move on to the next challenger. It seems really odd with the current system.

Isn't that what Ranked and Casual are for? I don't have the game so sorry if I'm talking crap.

Isn't that what Ranked and Casual are for? I don't have the game so sorry if I'm talking crap.
Ranked just matches you with one person, and when the game is over, it takes you back to the lobby with that one person so you can play again, and again, and....

I haven't tried casual yet.

I wish you could select sounds separate from music. Even voices. Would be awesome if you could have old sound effects, new voices, with your choice of background music for each stage. That would put this over the top for me.

The new blocking sound effect is so odd sounding.

Amazing how this game still holds by today's standards. I enjoy a game like this more knowing each character has a handful of movesets and yet is still a game with a lot of depth. A far more engaging fighting game for me than than convoluted mechanics and moveset you find in modern fighting games.

Top Bottom